• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe has changed my mind about HD Rumble

i played 2 more hours of MK8D with each individual joy-con separated in each hand and HD rumble is still barely noticeable or feel any different than standard rumble.

KayMote

Honestly, aside from VR HD Rumble is one of the most impressive things I've experienced in this gen!
Playing the marble mini game in 1,2 switch! was a truly mind blowing!

Mr. F

Banned
I kind of feel like they missed the opportunity to simulate the different surfaces you drive over, like wooden bridges, rail tracks, etc, but I guess having that constantly be a thing would maybe drain the joycon batteries faster than usual.

I use a Steam Controller regularly, so I get how HD rumble performs more detailed feedback, and it is a neat feature. That said, I do feel people glorify it a bit too much. Maybe I've just been using a haptic-based controller for so long that I've gotten used to it, but I do feel like sometimes people forget that regular rumble can do most of this stuff just fine. For example, the small motor/big motor setup allows for different intensities. Tremors, bumping into something, engine revving, etc can be performed by it just fine. HD Rumble allows for a little more nuance in delivery (like location-based feedback, for example) but it's not like motor rumble is completely incapable of representing half of the things I see people gushing about. Would I mind if it became a standard? Absolutely not, and I think it'd be great if it was adopted as a controller standard. Do I think it's a Switch selling point? No, not at all.

Farmboy

I kind of feel like they missed the opportunity to simulate the different surfaces you drive over, like wooden bridges, rail tracks, etc, but I guess having that constantly be a thing would maybe drain the joycon batteries faster than usual.

I do feel they tried (and partially succeeded) to make off-track snow feel like snow.

Puyo Puyo Tetris does a better job with HD rumble. When your clearing those blocks you fuckin feel it and get excited to clear more blocks.

Honestly, you're right, and I wish everyone could experience it. Its like they figured out happy and sad rumbles, just like they do commonly for sound effects.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
HD Rumble is incredibly overrated and Mario Kart has done nothing to change my mind so far. It's still an incredibly crude form of feedback that's only slightly more nuanced than before

Basically this, although perhaps not quite in such strong terms. But yeah, to me it feels like just a slightly more defined (and less powerful) rumble. Definitely not the revolution they were marketing it as.

I've been a huge proponent of rumble since game controllers started using it and HD rumble has changed my life. I adore it.

Basically this, although perhaps not quite in such strong terms. But yeah, to me it feels like just a slightly more defined (and less powerful) rumble. Definitely not the revolution they were marketing it as.

Really? All you have to do is play the ball count game in 1-2 switch to know what's up. Most games are going to use hd rumble subtly, but even in those games, the effect is still significantly more defined than standard rumble.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I don't really understand these "tournaments". In what way are they tournaments? They seem like little more than permanent lobbies. Does Nintendo not know what a tournament is?

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
I don't really understand these "tournaments". In what way are they tournaments? They seem like little more than permanent lobbies. Does Nintendo not know what a tournament is?
Yup, Nintendo doesn't know what a tournament is, you are correct.

Kurt

True, hd rumble is the real deal.
But it's stronger with the pro controller.
So if you have that, it's the best sollution.

Cool. But how do they actually work? Do they run over X days? Do you have to keep playing all the time, or how is the winner decided?

EDIT: Also, wrong thread. Thought I was in the OT!

The GAF Tournament is pretty much permanent, but the idea is that you create them to run for a few hours, a few days, or a week. Whoever has the most points at the end of that time is the winner. Obviously, you can just use it as a persistent lobby with a common rule set if you wish.

True, hd rumble is the real deal.
But it's stronger with the pro controller.
So if you have that, it's the best sollution.

lol that's the opposite of my experience. Strange.

WhatTheFox

Neo Member
I've been playing with a pro controller and hadn't noticed it at all. To be fair though I'm usually pretty focused on what's happening on the screen; I guess I wasn't really paying attention to the rumble. It sounds interesting so I'll see if I can tell a difference next time I play with rumble now being on my mind.

Only games I've played on my switch are zelda, snipperclips (which can't be played with a pro controller??) and now MK8. I don't think the former two have hd rumble so I had kinda forgotten it was even a feature.

0racle

I don't notice it to be honest.

Feels like the rumble from a cell phone. Arguably worse and less intense than regular rumble that we had for years in controllers.

I'm so sorry for all of you who seem to have permanent nerve damage in your hands and can't feel when rumbles and vibrations are of different strengths, locations, and durations.

i don't own a switch but I've managed to play a couple of games for a few hours due to friends (MK8D,fast rmx snipper clips) and the hd rumble feels like any regular controller rumble to me

Skyzard

Banned
I've said it before but the best thing for hd rumble was the marble mini-game in 1,2 switch.

A full game, like Kororinpa, that is based around a moving ball, feeling the speed it's going at, the grip it has, the surface with bumps etc and slamming into walls. It would be perfect.

If the hd rumble is capable of pulling that off that is. (and the guys who make it ... I think it's the bomberman folks.

I just don't see how another game is really going to make as good a use of it. People describe it in other games pretty poorly, saying it's just a loud buzzing, like a phone. But they'd feel it with Kororinpa. Really hoping to hear an announcement for it at e3.

It would be the definitive experience for HD rumble if they could pull it off.

You can really feel it in Blaster Master Zero. In the opening cutscene when you launch, jumping in and out of water, and when the alert triggers before a boss fight. Those are the best uses of it I've seen so far. Mario Kart is getting delivered to me any moment now so I'm looking forward to trying that one out myself.

Yeah, Blaster Master Zero is awesome at differentiating the rumbles for particular moments. I also really liked the way the rumble reacted when Jason is in a dungeon and a giant wave would come swiftly across the screen. The rumble would start really subtle, coming from the left until the wave appeared and both sides of the Joy-cons would rumble like crazy. Eventually as the wave continued to the right and went off screen, the rumble would die down, and I'd feel it faintly as it disappeared in the right Joy-con. It really intensified those sections because you knew it was time to reach the safe spot when the rumble built up to a particular feeling. I think if more developers utilize it this way, it could be a significant enhancement to certain games.

gerudoman

I've been a huge proponent of rumble since game controllers started using it and HD rumble has changed my life. I adore it.
I don't want to come off as an asshole, but posts like this are blowing my mind. I mean, it certainly feels different (not better or worse than normal rumble though), but a game changer?

To be fair, MK8D has been my first and only experience with HD Rumble so who knows if I'll end up warming up to it.

jts

...hate me...
I wasn't even aware this game had HD rumble until I tried it. It's amazing.

On the underside, it's tiny. They can only fit so large motors in Joy-cons, and unfortunately the Pro Controller gets the same motors, I think. Makes it easier for our brains to tune off the vibrations after a while, when immersed in the game.

It's like having very high quality speakers that are too small to appreciate properly.

I'm seriously surprised by all of the people saying it feels just like normal rumble. I can feel tons of variations. The revving at the start line, the different surfaces you drive on (e.g. smooth vs. bumpy), even collecting coins and using boosts feels totally different. Sure if you think it's going to feel just like you're actually flying along at 100 km/hour you'll be disappointed, but it's nothing like normal rumble found in Zelda or other games.

RAWi

I don't have a Switch, nor have experienced this, but could it just be that some people are more sensible to HD Rumble than others?

It's interesting that some feel nothing while others feel it as an amazing experience. And doesn't seem like everyone is lying, haha.

The human hand is incapable of feeling anything higher than SD rumble. All of you saying you feel HD are experiencing a placebo effect, just like the yahoos claiming to see 60hz.

Edit: did anyone find out if the guy who stuck the joy con up his butt felt the HD rumble? The science isn't clear on that.

Rizific

Don't notice it, maybe not available on Pro controller?

if thats the case, then i definitely didnt notice it. i can feel the small jolts of rumble. but nothing i can point out and say "WOW MUCH DETAIL". hd rumble still hasnt changed my thoughts on rumble as a whole. if rumble went away forever, i would not miss it. i disable it every time theres an option to do so.

jariw

I don't feel it at all

I'd say the Pro Controller HD Rumble is very limited compared to the standalone joycons.

In Puyo Poyo Tetris, I sensed the HD Rumble clearly in the campaign at one point (where the rumble increased/decreased and also when right/left), but other than that standalone it's much easier to feel the changes with separate joycons.

Top Bottom