• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is already the best selling game of 2017 on Amazon

Crayon

I'm going to try it for the first time tonite once my other half gets home. I'm not that excited but it seems essential to play. So many people raving about it can't be wrong. Right? Maybe?

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
All of their announced 2017 titles are "core" games.

i mean in absence of software not their own, they should be bolstering beyond what they have announced.

mario, and pokemon games are great(supposing the pokemon rumor is true)

but they should be looking into a smash remaster, metroid trilogy remaster, and marketing xenoblade 2 super hard, this is in addition to doing deals with platinum for Bayo 3 and 1 and 2 double collection remasters

Damn Persona at number 7 for games.

As for Mario Kart, I'll continue to be salty about the lack of success for the Wii U and Vita compared to the Switch. I almost bought the Switch last night for Mario Kart but played it alone on the Wii U today like the sad boy I am.

i mean in absence of software not their own, they should be bolstering beyond what they have announced.

mario, and pokemon games are great(supposing the pokemon rumor is true)

but they should be looking into a smash remaster, metroid trilogy remaster, and marketing xenoblade 2 super hard

Yeah, my guess is that Nintendo has no intention of marooning their last-gen gems on the Wii U. As a day-1 Wii U owner, I'd rather they pump out new content but I'm happy for others who've never played some of those games.

PSFan

Had to talk with support so they would expedite the shipment. Says it will be here by wendsday i think.

You could probably grab a copy at a local Best Buy or Target or other store if you don't want to wait. Sounds like they all got plenty of copies today.

psyfi

Banned
I'm going to try it for the first time tonite once my other half gets home. I'm not that excited but it seems essential to play. So many people raving about it can't be wrong. Right? Maybe?
If you like Mario Kart, you'll like MK8.

RootCause

Well, that might explain why my copy won't be arriving. I placed an order when it went live, and my copy still hasn't shipped. :p

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Jesus, if this is what Mariokart is doing then what the hell are the Pokemon sales figures going to look like? Switch is going to print money like nothing we've ever seen, goddamn.

Aren't those PSN cards likely to have been used on Horizon: Zero Dawn though?

Maybe? They could be used for anything. Either way Horizon Zero Dawn isn't the best selling game of 2017, I believe Ghost Recon Wildlands is overall? Correct me if I'm wrong. PSN cards are more likely to be for that than Horizon.

Jesus, if this is what Mariokart is doing then what the hell are the Pokemon sales figures going to look like? Switch is going to print money like nothing we've ever seen, goddamn.

YOU may be right. To early to tell yet. But Nintendo is doomed my be doomed after the switched.

Dang man.
They really, really need to work on getting a bomb ass 2D Mario on this sucker.

Like it can be the New Super Mario Bros brand- it probably should be the "New Super Mario Bros." brand considering it's apparently around 5 million units on the failed WiiU-, but it absolutely NEEDS a really amazing Mario Kart 8-esque bump in the art and music department.
Make it a beautiful looking cartoony 2D game like Rayman Legends or make it look as gorgeous and charming as 3D World, I don't care; just please don't put out another cheap, plastic-y ("soulless") lookin' 2D Mario with boring midi "Bah, BAH!" music and two god damn Toads taking up the playable character roster (stop being lazy and just do the overlapping animation for her skirt already!).
T.T
But guys no one wanted these games on Wii U so why would people want them on switch???

Edit: I used three question marks and I'm still being taken seriously???

This sentiment was always a steaming pile of of BS.

Im a physical game kinda guy but on this one, I had to download. I know its the one game people will actually ask to play so I want it on the console at all times.

Can joy cons be used separately for quick multiplayer?

Dang man.
They really, really need to work on getting a bomb ass 2D Mario on this sucker.

Like it can be the New Super Mario Bros brand- it probably should be the "New Super Mario Bros." brand considering it's apparently around 5 million units on the failed WiiU-, but it absolutely NEEDS a really amazing Mario Kart 8-esque bump in the art and music department.

Nah, the NSMB name needs to put into the same bin along with the NSMB aesthetics/music. It's been run into the ground.

I remember the good ol' days when 2D Mario didn't always have to be called "New Super Mario Bros.".

Sales for this thing are going to be bonkers. Almost everyone I know just grabbed it from the eshop.

Nintendoooooooo give us Pokémon.

Nah, the NSMB name needs to put into the same bin along with the NSMB aesthetics/music. It's been run into the ground".
Meh.
The "New" doesn't necessarily need to be dropped, its not detrimental to the series' success.
If anything, most people seem to like the "New" brand. The 3DS game is hovering around 11 million units ww and the WiiU game managed a very solid 5 million on the failed WiiU.
People clearly want the "New" brand games, but they don't want unappealing hardware.

I just think it wouldn't hurt to put a lot more heart and effort into the artistic direction, music, and character roster for a hypothetical NSMBSwitch. The Mario Kart series was never a visual or auditory stunner before 2014, but MK8 looking and sounding as beautiful as it does has done nothing but make the series more exciting for a lot of folks.
I really want the New Super Mario Bros. series to get this treatment on Switch seeing as it would likely do just as well as MK8Deluxe, and they've got nothing to lose.

The Wii U's problems went beyond the hardware itself. It never had its own Zelda game. Metroid was MIA. It didn't even get a real 3D Mario. Smash Bros came out on 3DS months earlier.

Nintendo fucked up big time with the software strategy. Even for a huge Nintendo fan, that console was skippable.

Compare to the Switch, which has Zelda at launch and 3D Mario in the first year.

The Wii U's problems went beyond the hardware itself. It never had its own Zelda game. Metroid was MIA. It didn't even get a real 3D Mario. Smash Bros came out on 3DS months earlier.

Nintendo fucked up big time with the software strategy. Even for a huge Nintendo fan, that console was skippable.

Compare to the Switch, which has Zelda at launch and 3D Mario in the first year.

Ugh...not this shit again...

Not only is Super Mario 3D World a real 3D Mario, but Nintendo considers it in the same vein as Super Mario Galaxy.

09ccoeev7t9y.png

If 3D World isn't a 3D Mario, then neither are Galaxy and Galaxy 2.

Welcome to 2017 where the Wii U got a 3D Mario and Nintendo already said it. Thanks.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA

Not only is Super Mario 3D World a real 3D Mario, but Nintendo considers it in the same vein as Super Mario Galaxy.

09ccoeev7t9y.png

I'm ok with that I dont feel like Galaxy was a sequel to 64 either

Nerokis

I think the "3D World isn't a real 3D Mario" sentiment is dumb, but all this image does is distinguish between sandbox Mario and non-sandbox Mario. 3D Land and 3D World are very much their own thing. I wouldn't necessarily say they're in same vein as the Galaxy games.

I mean, first impressions are important.

I remember seeing Galaxy for the first time. It was mind blowing. It was magical. I needed a Wii for that game.

Then you have 3D World, a sequel to a cute lil handheld game with a new multiplayer focus and cat suits being the big innovation. Needless to say, I didn't rush out to grab a Wii U. Nor did anyone else.

Lingitiz

I mean, first impressions are important.

I remember seeing Galaxy for the first time. It was mind blowing. It was magical. I needed a Wii for that game.

Then you have 3D World, a sequel to a cute lil handheld game with a new multiplayer focus and cat suits being the big innovation. Needless to say, I didn't rush out to grab a Wii U. Nor did anyone else.

While the sentiment is understandable, all you had to do was watch a bit of this trailer to see past that and realize how good the game was.

Alex

My only complaint with 8 was how rare it was to get the super horn in first or second, which makes it pretty pointless as a blue shell counter. Shoulda just made it a baked in ability on a sizable cool down

Top Bottom