• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is already the best selling game of 2017 on Amazon

JJH

Nintendo this quarter.

pJ9zk.gif

I think Mario Kart 8 Deluxe will probably prove that the Wii U really was just such an unappealing black hole of a console that wasfundamentally flawed in its concept, so much to the point where nobody but us Nintendo diehards wanted to buy it, even if it had good games on it.

Now, that was pretty obvious all along, but I'm just bringing it up because a lot of folks were saying in the past that "uh, if people didn't buy a Wii U for MK8 why would they buy a Switch for it?", ignoring the fact that the Switch is a far more stronger concept for a console and thus obviously more appealing to the masses.

you're ignoring the fact that switch is a handheld, and nintendo handhelds have always sold great, plus mario kart sold great on wiiu. 3 out the last 4 nintendo home consoles were failures for nintendo.

Oxymoron

you're ignoring the fact that switch is a handheld, and nintendo handhelds have always sold great, plus mario kart sold great on wiiu. 3 out the last 4 nintendo home consoles were failures for nintendo.

They haven't always! DS and 3DS (3DS especially) had very soft launches.

Nerokis

Defining the Switch as a handheld for the purpose of taking for granted that it would sell well on the basis that past handhelds have sold well is kinda ridiculous. The technology, price point, and games all resemble a Wii U successor much more than a 3DS one, and a good amount of people are going to be leaving it docked a lot of the time. Even putting aside that the 3DS looked like it could have been a dismal failure at one point, nothing about the handheldness of the Switch guaranteed success, just like nothing about the consoleness of it did.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Well there goes that lol

How fast will if take for Europe? ;)

Defining the Switch as a handheld for the purpose of taking for granted that it would sell well on the basis that past handhelds have sold well is kinda ridiculous. The technology, price point, and games all resemble a Wii U successor much more than a 3DS one, and a good amount of people are going to be leaving it docked a lot of the time. Even putting aside that the 3DS looked like it could have been a dismal failure at one point, nothing about the handheldness of the Switch guaranteed success, just like nothing about the consoleness of it did.

I do think that the switch will be more console like in that one per household will have it (as opposed to Multiple units per household). As a consequence, the attach ratio will be more console than handheld console.

It will also probably have much better third party sales too. More in line with the portable consoles.

Yjynx

Aren't those PSN cards likely to have been used on Horizon: Zero Dawn though?
Yeah as I thought Nintendo fans just love to hit Horizon for no reason. I'm gonna quote this and reaction in this thread for future proof.

PS: HZD on US sold more than 640k on retail while if Digital included it sold more than 1 million. While Zelda has around 2-3% attach rate of digital sales.

starmud

It kinda irks me to see Nintendo get away on the idea of wiiu ports, I want new content... but the debates done, wiiu was just THAT bad :/

poor wiiu.

Alienfan

While it's disappointing to see a minimal effort port sell better than two new action-adventure games. Mario Kart 8 was an exceptional game that released on a shit console that very few people bought, it never really got its due spotlight / success on release, so it's good to see it getting it now.

Neoxon

It kinda irks me to see Nintendo get away on the idea of wiiu ports, I want new content... but the debates done, wiiu was just THAT bad :/

poor wiiu.
You are getting new content, the Mario Kart team just opted to do a new IP instead of MK9 early in the Switch's life.

RootCause

I still can't believe Nintendo and Amazon still haven't figured Their supply issues out. My copy is expected to arrive on May 9... I preordered when it went live. -_-
FE:Echoes SE is going to be a wild ride. :(

Yeah as I thought Nintendo fans just love to hit Horizon for no reason. I'm gonna quote this and reaction in this thread for future proof.

PS: HZD on US sold more than 640k on retail while if Digital included it sold more than 1 million. While Zelda has around 2-3% attach rate of digital sales.
People like that barely contribute in any thread. Just ignore him.

Cerium

poor wiiu.
You're not getting Wii U ports instead of new games, you're getting Wii U ports in addition to new games.

MK8D hasn't stopped EPD1 from making ARMS has it?

spekkeh

Banned

Er you may have misinterpreted robotrocks post.

Persona7

Banned
I still can't believe Nintendo and Amazon still haven't figured Their supply issues out. My copy is expected to arrive on May 9... I preordered when it went live. -_-
FE:Echoes SE is going to be a wild ride. :(

People like that barely contribute in any thread. Just ignore him.

Nintendo can only ship so much. It seems later orders are getting delayed.

Famassu

I fully expect the Switch version LT to outsell the Wii U version.

Which is pretty crazy for a re-release
It's not crazy considering 1) the quality of Mario Kart 8, 2) Mario Karts have the potential to sell dozens of millions of copies and 3) the massiveness of the failure that is Wii U. There's just a huge amount of untapped sales potential with MK8 and many other Wii U games which is why I'm not gonna blame Nintendo even if a majority of their Switch output arrived to Switch at some point.

Seiniyta

I just hope this signals that yes, we'd love to have more dlc for Mario Kart 8 deluxe. 8 new regular tracks/Battle mode tracks or 16 new racing tracks. (and a bunch of characters/whatever in there too)

Cerium

I just hope this signals that yes, we'd love to have more dlc for Mario Kart 8 deluxe. 8 new regular tracks/Battle mode tracks or 16 new racing tracks. (and a bunch of characters/whatever in there too)

If they go that route it kind of forecloses the possibility of MK9 on Switch though.

Not that I think that's necessarily a bad thing.

klier

Deserved. Amazing game, I am enjoying it more than the Wii U version. Maybe because internet actually works and I play with a Pro controller.

Famassu

If they go that route it kind of forecloses the possibility of MK9 on Switch though.

Not that I think that's necessarily a bad thing.
Not necessarily, though then I'd imagine that to mean MK9 is not gonna happen within the first 2-3 years of Switch.

Sadist

Well... I work for a retailer with an online shop and they got like 600 copies

They're almost gone. In just two days.

nubbe

we have f-zero carts and tracks, but to characters... just the amiibo outfit

Neff

Why is Nintendo not advertising the hell out of HD Rumble in this game?

I was on the fence about the game because I had all DLC and played a lot of online so I didn't know if I wanted to double dip. I finally gave in...

Holy shit. HD Rumble in this instantly made this the best racing game ever for me.

Seriously guys. If you haven't already, take the joy con out of the grip and hold them bare (no strap) one in each hand. That's next gen.

It's pretty neat. The way you can tell the various kinds of collisions and actions apart by feel alone is nice.

FinalAres

The main reason why Mario Kart didn't move WiiUs is because the WiiU was a bad console. Not it terms of games obviously but in terms of the hardware. Cheap chunky low res plastic tablet that you can't even take away from the TV enough to make it worth while. Extremely low powered.

Many Nintendo consoles haven't done well for one reason or another, but the WiiU the first time Nintendo made a piece of hardware that in itself was just bad. It put people off. The original DS was kinda like that too (not bad, but not that great until the lite).

Switch in comparison is incredibly on point.

Top Bottom