• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8: first update (+ Mercedes DLC) finally available

Anyone else think the on-screen map is a bit... small? I don't want to sound ungrateful or anything, but it's hardly useful due to how compressed it is in size. Ehhh...

So, November release for the first one puts it around par for the Hyrule Warriors release.

May of next year...would be a good time to release an Animal Crossing game for the Wii U.
I hope they put Dry Bowser in as the helper now that Isabelle is busy with racing.

5ztQald.png

HELLO MAYOR. YES I HAVE HEARD FROM THE VILLAGERS. THEY ALL WANT YOU TO BUILD ME A NEW CASTLE.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I feel like such a piece of shit looking at my win/loss if that's what you're talking about...so I agree.

It's more like, after the update, I notice I'm getting fewer points for wins and more points for losses under similar race conditions pre-update. In MK8 it's always been that the number of points you receive after each race is determined by both your overall placement and your number of race points relative to the other players in the lobby (e.g. you can get 9th or 10th in a race and still not lose any points if you're the lowest-score person in the lobby or you lose points if you place below 3rd or 4th if you're the highest), but after the update, I'm losing the same number of points for 6th-place finishes in a full lobby that I was losing for 11th/12th place finishes even when there are multiple people with higher race points than me in the lobby. A finish that would maybe earn or lose me 1 or 2 points now loses me 10 to 15.

I have a high total of race points (7700+ currently) so I'm wondering if the update rebalanced how points are awarded after matches to make it harder to accumulate race points in general as your overall number of points increase.

So, November release for the first one puts it around par for the Hyrule Warriors release.

May of next year...would be a good time to release an Animal Crossing game for the Wii U.
I hope they put Dry Bowser in as the helper now that Isabelle is busy with racing.

5ztQald.png

HELLO MAYOR. YES I HAVE HEARD FROM THE VILLAGERS. THEY ALL WANT YOU TO BUILD ME A NEW CASTLE.

Koopa Crossing: New Minion

plufim

I am hoping if this does well that Nintendo do a second season of tracks (ie november 2015 and may 2016). It'll keep the game alive for a long time too.

Min0

zlCfzSXuy18nmJajAu

Still no Diddy kong or Dixie kong in mario kart 8?

Maybe there is more DLC?!

There is definitely room for another vertical line of six characters. If these packs do well I can see Nintendo releasing another 2 at the end of 2015 and mid 2016.

Have I mentioned I love this game?

Most franchises would release this DLC as a $60 sequel. This is basically everyone's hopes and dreams for DLC when we first started talking about DLC many years ago.

Like remember when people thought were going to buy one Madden per generation and we'd get DLC updates, free or $10-$15 per year to update rosters and some new features?

prag16

Banned
It's more like, after the update, I notice I'm getting fewer points for wins and more points for losses under similar race conditions pre-update. In MK8 it's always been that the number of points you receive after each race is determined by both your overall placement and your number of race points relative to the other players in the lobby (e.g. you can get 9th or 10th in a race and still not lose any points if you're the lowest-score person in the lobby or you lose points if you place below 3rd or 4th if you're the highest), but after the update, I'm losing the same number of points for 6th-place finishes in a full lobby that I was losing for 11th/12th place finishes even when there are multiple people with higher race points than me in the lobby. A finish that would maybe earn or lose me 1 or 2 points now loses me 10 to 15.

I have a high total of race points (7700+ currently) so I'm wondering if the update rebalanced how points are awarded after matches to make it harder to accumulate race points in general as your overall number of points increase.

Wait what??? If true, that's lame.

A friend also claimed to have seen somebody with over 10,000 VR yesterday. Have others seen that? Did they lift the cap?

EDIT: Yeah, looked around a bit and looks like they DID lift the cap, and also massively change the scaling of VR based on finish.

So you're now telling me that if I get combo'd back from 1st to 12th in a lobby in which I'm the highest VR, what used to be a 25 point swing may now be a 50 point swing?

Goddammit Nintendo. One step forward, two steps back...

ffdgh

A friend also claimed to have seen somebody with over 10,000 VR yesterday. Have others seen that? Did they lift the cap?

EDIT: Yeah, looked around a bit and looks like they DID lift the cap, and also massively change the scaling of VR based on finish.

So you're now telling me that if I get combo'd back from 1st to 12th in a lobby in which I'm the highest VR, what used to be a 25 point swing may now be a 50 point swing?

Yup...already lost around 250 vr from 9999...The game really wants you to use nothing other than heavies more than ever. ¬_¬

Does the game save your custom kart properly? It hasn't worked for me. I was using the Silver Arrow with Roller wheels yet it keeps going to the Standard. Might be a DLC thing.

Dry Bowser is such a weird choice for the only veteran to bring back via DLC.

Not that I'm complaining, I like him. Just a weird choice.

I think alot of choices have been weird. The koopa kids, metal versions, babies, etc don't make the game more fun IMO. It just makes the game more visually annoying when you get a ton of samey characters.

The original system already was a step back from MK7, this just sounds super rage inducing.

PedroRVD

Can somebody post a little summary of all the little changes that are not in the official log?

For example:

- Be a spectator until there is a spot to join

Some people say the star is a bit faster now...or that coins are less frequent after the update. Is this true?

Have you noticed something else?

prag16

Banned
The original system already was a step back from MK7, this just sounds super rage inducing.

I could definitely understand the complaints about the original system, and how it seemed to favor "time played" over "skill" in terms of who had the high VRs.

But even so, it was still quite rage inducing to grind out 30 VR over a dozen races in a very tough lobby, only to lose it ALL due to getting combo'd by seven items, then getting connection lost the next game.

And now they took that dynamic and made it even worse (at least twice as bad it seems) while not rewarding the high finishers more hardly at all. And now only a top 3 guarantees no VR loss in a full lobby (previously top 5).

EDIT: I know VR doesn't "matter" and is just a number. But even now the rage is palpable when you get totally fucked over, and you see a giant -14 pop up. It's hard to just ignore that. It's involuntary. But now... BOOM -40!!!!!!!1

Note: I haven't played it yet with the changes. But now I'm almost hesitant to... I'm sitting at 9450 or so.

A guy on gamefaqs reported that in a lobby full of similar skill and similar VR (all close to 10000 for example), the scale seems to go 1st: 15, 2nd: 12..... 11th: -25, 12th: -30.

That means if those 12 people spend a couple hours together, on average, THEY ALL WILL LOSE VR, possible a lot of VR. That's broken as fuck. C'mon, Nintendo...

madp

The Light of El Cantare
A guy on gamefaqs reported that in a lobby full of similar skill and similar VR (all close to 10000 for example), the scale seems to go 1st: 15, 2nd: 12..... 11th: -25, 12th: -30.

That means if those 12 people spend a couple hours together, on average, THEY ALL WILL LOSE VR, possible a lot of VR. That's broken as fuck. C'mon, Nintendo...

After the changes to point allocation, I'm not going to play MK8 online nearly as much. The amount of decent placements it now takes to compensate for one bad loss is absurd and I'm not going to sink hours into online if an hour of progress in a tough lobby can be instantly wiped away.

Arclaid

After the changes to point allocation, I'm not going to play MK8 online nearly as much. The amount of decent placements it now takes to compensate for one bad loss is absurd and I'm not going to sink hours into online if an hour of progress in a tough lobby can be instantly wiped away.

You could also join tournaments. Of course, the points you accumulate there will reset each week, but it's an alternate way to play online without having to worry about your VR.

No. The total amount is around zero, like in Mario Kart Wii (where it was fixed zero). That's flat out wrong. In fact, it's even slightly less punishing than Mario Kart Wii.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
I don't like Link in mah MK tho... clash of style, tho I see the potential for awesome tracks.
I think Goron/F-Zero would have fit better.
But first and foremost Kirby and King DeDeDe and it' she hilarious seeing Pikmins drive where one holds the wheel, another drops the items and a third moves himself left/right a la Double Dash on corners and maybe holds the glider when fliyin'

prag16

Banned
No. The total amount is around zero, like in Mario Kart Wii (where it was fixed zero). That's flat out wrong. In fact, it's even slightly less punishing than Mario Kart Wii.

Then what's an accurate distribution from 1st to 12th for a lobby with everybody close to 10k? Was the guy on gamefaqs lying? (and it wasn't just one person claiming this)

If I'm able to get on tonight I guess I'll find out for myself.

Then what's an accurate distribution from 1st to 12th for a lobby with everybody close to 10k? Was the guy on gamefaqs lying? (and it wasn't just one person claiming this)

If I'm able to get on tonight I guess I'll find out for myself.

With 12 players who have more or less the same VR count, it generally ranges from +20 to -25. One example seen in practice:

01: +21
02: +18
03: +13
04: +9
05: +3
06: +1
07: -4
08: -7
09: -11
10: -1 (this player had 2000VR lower than the others' average.)
11: -20
12: -21

Total: +1

In most cases, top 5 players earn points, 6-8 barely change at all, 9-12 take a noticeable loss.
That's basically Mario Kart Wii's system but with numbers much smaller in proportions (MKWii would typically range from +100 for 1st to -150 for last).
I think the people complaining never played MKWii and are used to MK7's system where no matter what your level is, you'll eventually win VR with sheer hours because you barely lose VR even at the worst positions.

Edit: proof with players having more than 10,000 points (so only possible after the 2.0 update)
1409258288-mariokart8-vr-10000-changes.png

Top Bottom