• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8: first update (+ Mercedes DLC) finally available

There is definitely room for another vertical line of six characters. If these packs do well I can see Nintendo releasing another 2 at the end of 2015 and mid 2016.

Nintendo said that the SSB Amiibos can be used across other games, and that theyre preparing the Amiibo feature for MK8.

I dont think they'll just be used to store mii/ghost data from mk8 to bring over to friends.

My guess is these six additional characters can be unlocked from the SSB Amiibo's. Like Kirby, maybe Ness, Falcon, ect..

Theres an older Gxplain video interviewing a guy from NOA. He hinted at SSB/Amiibo making it for black friday, which is November. Thats the month the first MK8 DLC pack releases. So maybe we'll hear more about this in the next Wii U direct.

I think the main reason why Nintendo broke away from their traditional MK roster is to add value to and sell their Amiibos.

prag16

Banned
With 12 players who have more or less the same VR count, it generally ranges from +20 to -25. One example seen in practice:

01: +21
02: +18
03: +13
04: +9
05: +3
06: +1
07: -4
08: -7
09: -11
10: -1 (this player had 2000VR lower than the others' average.)
11: -20
12: -21

Total: +1

In most cases, top 5 players earn points, 6-8 barely change at all, 9-12 take a noticeable loss.
That's basically Mario Kart Wii's system but with numbers much smaller in proportions (MKWii would typically range from +100 for 1st to -150 for last).
I think the people complaining never played MKWii and are used to MK7's system where no matter what your level is, you'll eventually win VR with sheer hours because you barely lose VR even at the worst positions.

Edit: proof with players having more than 10,000 points (so only possible after the 2.0 update)
1409258288-mariokart8-vr-10000-changes.png
Cool, thanks for doing this. Doesn't seem as bad as I was led to believe.

majik13

Dry Bowser is such a weird choice for the only veteran to bring back via DLC.

Not that I'm complaining, I like him. Just a weird choice.

a lot of the DLC characters are a weird choice. 2 Cat Mario characters in the Zelda DLC pack? Link, Zelda, and Cat Suit Mario would make more sense. Or 3 Zelda Characters, or even Link, Cat Mario, and a character from a different series would make more sense.

jts

...hate me...
Does every coin collected during the race count, or only your remaining coins by the end of the race?

xandaca

Can somebody post a little summary of all the little changes that are not in the official log?

For example:

- Be a spectator until there is a spot to join

Some people say the star is a bit faster now...or that coins are less frequent after the update. Is this true?

Have you noticed something else?

Coins are definitely not less frequent. I had six in a row in a race the other day when placed 2nd/3rd.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Cool, thanks for doing this. Doesn't seem as bad as I was led to believe.

It's not bad if you're in an evenly-matched lobby, but being near the top in a lobby with a wide VR spread is basically going to cause you to massively hemorrhage points now. Matchmaking has been poor for me since the update and I keep getting thrown into lobbies where almost everyone is 2-4k VR below me, but maybe that's a product of a huge surge in online activity due to the patch and Benz DLC. As the novelty wears off and some people stop playing again, the ratio of high VR players online to all players may improve and lobby balance might restore itself.

You could also join tournaments. Of course, the points you accumulate there will reset each week, but it's an alternate way to play online without having to worry about your VR.

Is there any interest in reviving the official GAF tournament lobby? I've gone in there a few times but it's always dead.

prag16

Banned
It's not bad if you're in an evenly-matched lobby, but being near the top in a lobby with a wide VR spread is basically going to cause you to massively hemorrhage points now. Matchmaking has been poor for me since the update and I keep getting thrown into lobbies where almost everyone is 2-4k VR below me, but maybe that's a product of a huge surge in online activity due to the patch and Benz DLC. As the novelty wears off and some people stop playing again, the ratio of high VR players online to all players may improve and lobby balance might restore itself.

Is there any interest in reviving the official GAF tournament lobby? I've gone in there a few times but it's always dead.

Now that they totally fucked up the VR balance (now that I've seen it for myself... yeah, they totally fucking ruined it), I'd be very interested in a GAF tourney revival.

I know VR is just a number and really doesn't matter, but bleeding points in a very tough couple lobbies all night in which I still did get a lot of top 3 finishes (and was barely rewarded for it compared to the giant chunks I was losing any time I got fucked over)... really takes away a lot of my desire to play the online.

It's just a number and it doesn't matter, but watching those negative number pop up there is extremely rage inducing, especially when it's something like -6 for 5th goddamn place in a brutal lobby with three flawless fire hoppers. Then a win, for +15 or so which is great and all, but then next race get booted at the starting line and lose 30. I mean, c'mon Nintendo.

Neiteio

So, November release for the first one puts it around par for the Hyrule Warriors release.

May of next year...would be a good time to release an Animal Crossing game for the Wii U.
I hope they put Dry Bowser in as the helper now that Isabelle is busy with racing.

5ztQald.png

HELLO MAYOR. YES I HAVE HEARD FROM THE VILLAGERS. THEY ALL WANT YOU TO BUILD ME A NEW CASTLE.
This is like the best idea ever since the last best idea ever

Arclaid

I'm guessing you've probably wandered over to the OT already, but if anyone's online nowadays they're usually playing in frantic.

Exentryk

You have to post in the Community thread, and usually people can join you if they are around. Also, we mostly play in the Frantic lobby these days.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
talking about MK8 in the other thread, I'd like to point out that they should really REALLY offer another possibility with the new (possible) patch.
The chance to play local multiplayer up to 2 using the "second screen" feature offered by the gamepad. No splitscreen would be great, thank you.

jts

...hate me...
talking about MK8 in the other thread, I'd like to point out that they should really REALLY offer another possibility with the new (possible) patch.
The chance to play local multiplayer up to 2 using the "second screen" feature offered by the gamepad. No splitscreen would be great, thank you.

Resolution or/and framerate would probably have to take quite a hit.

synce

I'm really beginning to question Nintendo's competence with their map implemention... In splitscreen why did they put a tiny map on everyone's screen instead of a big one in the center like before?

mario-kart-wii-20080411095136678-000.jpg

The map is completely useless when the huge character icons are blocking your view of everything.

Buzzbrad

I'm really beginning to question Nintendo's competence with their map implemention... In splitscreen why did they put a tiny map on everyone's screen instead of a big one in the center like before?

The map is completely useless when the huge character icons are blocking your view of everything.

That is nintendo for you.

Pikma

Banned

It's probably because it would take more time to implement. They actually didn't have that much time to work on the patch seeing as many of what it addresses are complaints that started showing only after the game's launch.

Of course I agree with you, it's shitty but I doubt it was because of "map implementation incompetence"

Top Bottom