• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 : new trailer

Yka

with golf on 3ds getting dlc courses, are the chances for mk8 dlc tracks higher?

I hope so! DLC F-Zero Cup would be a perfect match for this game (SNES, N64, GBA & GCN retro F-Zero tracks)!

mario_kart_zero_zps4bd04e8b.jpg

BowieZ

Banned
I think "DK Tropical Freeze" isn't an appropriate name for a racetrack -- I reckon something like "DK Frozen Forest" or "Snowmad Island" or something would be used.

What blows my mind in this thread is the love for MK64. Worst mario kart ive played and ive played em all except the snes version.

I played it three years ago and man the gae doesnt hold up. Lifeless and empty is how id describe it. The game feels lacking.

I also dont get the praise for 64s rainbow road. It was lame and boring and had gates. It just felt like you were on mario curcuit but with a rainbow colored road. Opinions are opinions but if the last time you encountered mario kart 64 was ten or more years ago then i got some bad news for ya. Im actually bummed that they chose to revamp this rainbow road.

I can pardon the the game though because it was the series' first venture into 3d space. But it def isnt the game i remembered it to be.

Yka

I think "DK Tropical Freeze" isn't an appropriate name for a racetrack -- I reckon something like "DK Frozen Forest" or "Snowmad Island" or something would be used.

Yeah, a track based on DK Tropical Freeze but with different name. DK Frozen Forest sounds good.

Yeah, just like they did with SNES Mario Circuit 4.

Not saying it's not possible, but it seems Nintendo is trying to use a varied selection of tracks. They probably realized all those Mario Circuits from SNES and all those Bowser's Castles from GBA look so similar that even with all the enhacements, people would feel they already played those tracks in the past and rightly so, it would be a nice change to use different tracks from those games (see: Donut Plains and GBA Mario Circuit) Both broke the pattern.

I'm expecting Wii Bowser's Castle tho.
It's weird there are only two Wii tracks in the game cosidering it was the last console installment. Plus, we're missing a retro Bowser track..so :)

I don't think that SNES Donut Plains 3 in Mario Kart 8 brokes any pattern...

Mario Kart DS = SNES Donut Plains 1, Choco Island 2 & Koopa Beach 2
Mario Kart Wii = SNES Ghost Valley 2
Mario Kart 7 = SNES Rainbow Road
Mario Kart 8 = SNES Donut Plains 3

GBA Mario Circuit brokes the pattern but the original track is still a classic Mario Circuit track featuring a level track surface and sprite-based visuals.

Mario Kart DS = SNES Mario Circuit 1
Mario Kart Wii = SNES Mario Circuit 3
Mario Kart 7 = SNES Mario Circuit 2
Mario Kart 8 = GBA Mario Circuit

It could be that the GBA Mario Circuit track layout was just a better fit for the ramp than the SNES Mario Circuit 4 track layout.

mk8_mc_1_zps137a7cc0.png
mk8_mc_2_zpsbf054fe6.png

Yes, Nintendo is trying to use a varied selection of tracks. And I believe this is also the case with the new and retro Bowser Castle tracks. Enhanced Wii Bowser Castle track would probably look and feel too similar to the new Bowser Castle track. That is why I think they will probably choose GBA Bowser Castle 4 (or maybe even one of the SNES Bowser Castle tracks).

But I'm still personally hoping for the DS Bowser Castle track. By no means it is a simple track but it has more of a retro feel than the Wii Bowser Castle track and it has a big jump that would work great with the hang-glider.

Can we push back at Nintendo on the voice chat? Iwata says he wants to show the viability of the gamepad, and he's wasting a feature of it. Even a post release patch would work, as long as they recognize that they can't be wishy washy with having modern features if they at all want any future business.

I emailed Nintendo about the possible lack of voice chat in this game, and encouraged them to consider including it as an option while playing with friends, if not randoms. I hope others are doing the same. It's a huge oversight IMO.

Tabasco

I emailed Nintendo about the possible lack of voice chat in this game, and encouraged them to consider including it as an option while playing with friends, if not randoms. I hope others are doing the same. It's a huge oversight IMO.
There should be an online petition for it to be honest.

phanphare

Banned

it'd be cool if they pick a specific level in world 6 to model it after. aka 6-6. with anti gravity.

Vidiot

So do we know anything about battle mode yet? Really hoping for classic rules. Haven't really enjoyed a Mario Kart since DS because battle mode was the mode my friends and I would play the most.

I'm playing MK7 right now, but had to stop because certain ideas for improvements have sprung to my mind that I would love to see appear in MK 8:

1. I want a GARAGE for different kart-builds!! (Kart-Driver-Wheel combinations). Having quick-access to different kart-builds would be a godsend.
  2. I want to be able to make my own decals and have individual coloring options for my karts. (This could also be done in the GARAGE)
  3. When joining an online race and waiting in the que while watching the "live-broadcast", I would like to be able to switch between the drivers on my own as well as choose the camera-angle (first person view, television mode, standard 3rd person view).
  4. [Not that neccessary] Saving replays would be great (It would be a good analysing-tool and helpful in increasing one's own skill).

All of this could be managed so nicely on the Gamepad. This needs to happen!

1 and 2 are great ideas, but I don't see them happening this time. Both are possible to happen in the future though, specially considering they are trying to expand the customization features, and there was something reminiscent of decals in the emblems of Mario Kart DS.

3 and 4, I expect to happen this time. There's the mysterious Mario Kart TV they've been teasing, and both features seem like perfect fit for that.

So do we know anything about battle mode yet? Really hoping for classic rules. Haven't really enjoyed a Mario Kart since DS because battle mode was the mode my friends and I would play the most.

I don't think we know anything about any other mode yet. I have a feeling it's gonna follow MK7 and there not be a lot of modes or extras. Kind of a shame because I wish they would bring back the mission mode from MK DS. :(

Jagsrock

Banned
What blows my mind in this thread is the love for MK64. Worst mario kart ive played and ive played em all except the snes version.

I played it three years ago and man the gae doesnt hold up. Lifeless and empty is how id describe it. The game feels lacking.

I also dont get the praise for 64s rainbow road. It was lame and boring and had gates. It just felt like you were on mario curcuit but with a rainbow colored road. Opinions are opinions but if the last time you encountered mario kart 64 was ten or more years ago then i got some bad news for ya. Im actually bummed that they chose to revamp this rainbow road.

I can pardon the the game though because it was the series' first venture into 3d space. But it def isnt the game i remembered it to be.

Because It's the game a lot of people grew up with. It was pretty much a ritual to play Mario Kart 64 at family get togethers, was always the most played game at sleepovers, we even brought it to school one time and hooked it up to a projector. It's really not fair to go back and critique it now for at the time it was amazing( and it still is a fantastic party game) despite how it may compare to newer iterations. I have played it recently and still enjoyed it throughly you just have to be in the right environment.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
MK64 has Toad's Turnpike, just sayin

but yeah, game is generally very lacking. Enjoyed other entries way better

Because It's the game a lot of people grew up with. It was pretty much a ritual to play Mario Kart 64 at family get togethers, was always the most played game at sleepovers, we even brought it to school one time and hooked it up to a projector. It's really not fair to go back and critique it now for at the time it was amazing( and it still is a fantastic party game) despite how it may compare to newer iterations. I have played it recently and still enjoyed it throughly you just have to be in the right environment.

I respect your opinion. But for me if something has to be played in the right environs to be enjoyed it doesnt hold up. I loved the power rangers movie growing up. These days i have to stop 20 mins in. Again, each to his/her own .

Sounds like nostalgia, really.

Argh, it's still over a mooooonth awaaayyyyyyy >___<. I'll try to get through my backlog till then (lol, probably won't). Also, I clicked on this thread thinking there was a NEW new trailer... I leave slightly disappointed.

Neff

I was 21 when MK64 was released. I was disappointed by it then and I'm disappointed by it now. Roads are too wide for such a slow game, and the tracks are bland generally. It looks and sounds great, though, and it conjures up a ton of nostalgia.

JoeM86

This is getting Wii U bundle, right? I'm serious about buying a Wii U if Mario Kart comes bundled with it.

There's a rumour of one for Europe, along with the packshot, but it has yet to be confirmed.

I'm sure retailers will do their own bundles if not, though.

Mlatador

Banned
I don't think nicer graphics make a kart racer GOTY material. At the end of the day, you're still driving on Moo Moo Meadows with handling from 1997.

Ha, what bullshit! Handling has significantly changed after Mario Kart 64. Even MK DD and MK Wii's handling is quite different (when it comes to drifting).

RagnarokX

There should be a rule that you can't just have thread titles like "new trailer" without a date. When threads like this get bumped it makes me think a new trailer is out :p

Top Bottom