• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 |OT| 8 oW

piratethingy

Self professed bad raider
I'm going to try to make my GAF debut tonight..

I've only played online for ~10 races. Only lost one.

Ready to get
slaughtered.

Chaos17

Never again I will watch the replay of time trial of the best ghosts, so depressing...
And I didn't knew there were 3 shortcuts on the Rainbow road, 3!!

Mik2121

One thing I noticed when playing only 6 or 7 people is that blue shells will almost never show up. Usually 2nd and 3rd positions also don't get good items, which means if you're able to get on 1st or 2nd position you will most likely be able to keep it unless you hit some banana or something silly like that.

akaoni

Banned
One thing I noticed when playing only 6 or 7 people is that blue shells will almost never show up. Usually 2nd and 3rd positions also don't get good items, which means if you're able to get on 1st or 2nd position you will most likely be able to keep it unless you hit some banana or something silly like that.

The game is programmed that way, I guess it does reveal weakness in item distribution when there's less players.

phanphare

Banned
oh man, got a nice slow-mo from one of the tourney races on tick tock clock

will have to wait until tomorrow though

ok I took a crappy video of it

this is from one of the GAF races last night. forgot who DK was but don't worry, I didn't come close to finishing in 1st lol

this is me as Rosalina bouncing a green shell off two walls to hit DK. don't know how to make a .gif so if someone wants to feel free

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umF2B9DOT9I

The problem is usually that the other position get items, so they hit the people on 3rd, 4th, etc.. positions, and therefore the main group gets delayed lol

I think the game needs more skill shot weapons like the green shell and fire flower, those attacks don't lock on to the guy right in front of you and can be good for distance shots down straights.

It's one thing sonic all stars racing transformed did well, rockets and snowballs were great range weapons.

Mik2121

You guys are a bunch of bullies :( I got hit so much this race. Also got hit with red shells 5 times (not joking!) when I was... 6th. Went all the way down to 12th, lol Thankfully back to 5th at least...

akaoni

Banned
I got shrunk by lightning and somehow stole a star from someone who had an '8', I assumed they would lose those items when the lightning struck.

Mik2121

Running around 5th or so is the most stressing shit ever, lol. No good items and yet I keep getting destroyed by everything else! :(

Running with a tiny guy like Shy Guy isn't helping either, I think...

Canti

Hey GAF.

Quick (spoilery?) question - I know you unlock the
golden kart by achieving at least 1 star ranking on every cup (including mirror mode)

However, is there any additional incentive to achieve a 3 star rank in every cup? I've just done so on 150cc (required a lot of patience) but am wondering if its even worth doing the same
for mirror mode (aside from bragging rights?)
. If not I'll just speed through and 1 star them. Thanks in advance.

akaoni

Banned
Hey GAF.

golden kart by achieving at least 1 star ranking on every cup (including mirror mode)

However, is there any additional incentive to achieve a 3 star rank in every cup? I've just done so on 150cc (required a lot of patience) but am wondering if its even worth doing the same

There is no incentive as far as I know. I did it thinking that was how you got the kart.

octopiggy

Hey GAF.

You get
literally nothing. Not even a message to congratulate you.

I am now first place in all GPs. Now I just need to get stars on 150cc and Mirror Leaf Cups.

In the meantime, I've started racing staff ghosts. I just finished beating the Mushroom Cup ghosts.

My girlfriend loves Mario Kart.

My only challenge now is to wean her off the motion control steering and for her to use the control stick. She doesn't want to, despite my urgings that it's the superior control method.

akaoni

Banned
I think we can all safely assume that Kyle is the strongest racer in this group!

Don't jinx me, I falsestarted. There's some really good players in the GAF tournament who are probably better than me, I'm just breaking the game by taking the lead and keeping it.

Top Bottom