• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 |OT| 8 oW

Yokai

Every fighting game ever is shitty then? :x

This is actually a really bad argument.

Cancels in fighting games (not combos, iirc that's an intended design) work as a mechanic for a variety of reasons. Specifically, failing a cancel or link leaves the offending player vulnerable. Thus, it's a case of risk vs reward.

In mk8, hopping has no risk. It's net gain. Furthermore, in fighting games you could actually still win a match purely on footsies and spacing fundamentals. MK8 doesn't work this way as racing is entirely about course clear time.

je_ssi e

Woo, finally came in 1st in an online race! Was in the lead for most of the race even after several blue shells. Is Pink Gold Peach really that good, or did I just luck out with who I was racing?
After I got used to a heavy character I was winning a lot of races last night.
But... I just don't like the characters as much.

Even though it's going to hurt, I'm just going to use what I want even if it only brings pain.

Well.. until I get pissed again and go back to using what works.
I can only take people playing kick the baby for so long before I crack. :p

Grizzo

I'm with you in regards to the baby characters being lame. I disagree completely about Bowser Jr. I've hated the character since his introduction in Sunshine and am glad to see him getting shunned here. The Koopalings already had a far better Junior in the form of Morton Koopa Jr.

Can somebody explain to me who ever asked for Baby Rosalina?

270px-Baby_Rosalina-MK8.png

I really don't get how she made the cut.

Feltrol

Banned
The good thing is that you will be able to see me doing it flawlessly.. you know in the distance while you fight for 6th place >:D

Sounds like something that I would say. Have you run out of original ideas? :D

Just you wait until our next match. I will make sure no Blue Shells get me.

Berordn

Can somebody explain to me who ever asked for Baby Rosalina?

270px-Baby_Rosalina-MK8.png

I really don't get how she made the cut.

She's got the same body shape as the other two baby princesses. It probably wasn't too much work to make her if they could use Baby Peach or Daisy as a base.

Yeah, even without snake hopping, the game is horribly imbalanced.

In MKWii if you were in first place for longer than 10 seconds or so you'd basically be guaranteed to be hit with at least one blue shell, at least 3 red shells, probably a green shell and just as you were picking up speed, you'd be hit by a lightning bolt while going off a ramp, and as being put back on the track, be hit by someone with a star. And this would be 3 feet from the finish line.

This game is so much more balanced than MKWii. MKWii was frustrating at times with how obnoxious it was.

Grizzo

Get baby peach, add a bang and add a few color changes and voila.

Exactly

She's got the same body shape as the other two baby princesses. It probably wasn't too much work to make her if they could use Baby Peach or Daisy as a base.

So that's mostly due to laziness on Nintendo's part. I see. I liked Birdo, I think he was a cool character. I know he is in the new installment of Mario Golf but it's not the same :(

Kinsei

Banned
In MKWii if you were in first place for longer than 10 seconds or so you'd basically be guaranteed to be hit with at least one blue shell, at least 3 red shells, probably a green shell and just as you were picking up speed, you'd be hit by a lightning bolt while going off a ramp, and as being put back on the track, be hit by someone with a star. And this would be 3 feet from the finish line.

This game is so much more balanced than MKWii. MKWii was frustrating at times with how obnoxious it was.

I'm talking about character stats, not item distribution (Although coins in first can go die in a fire).

Omnicent

Man a Heavy Wave-Hopping is like... I can't even catch up as a Medium doing the same.

All the issues with it seem to be with Heavies more than the tech itself.

Heavies speed is pretty crazy (good thing PGP/Rosalina are in the heavy tier, though they are not crushers like bowser or morton)

kankki

Senior Project Lead, NX Hardware Design at Nintendo of Europe
To be honest I just bought MK8 as a 'bonus' for Pikmin 3.. now I'm playing Mario Kart more than Pikmin, this game is more fun. :p

So that's mostly due to laziness on Nintendo's part. I see. I liked Birdo, I think he was a cool character. I know he is in the new installment of Mario Golf but it's not the same :(

I don't think it was laziness. They were probably running out of time and wanted to round the roster out a bit and added Baby Rosalina and Pink Gold Peach. It was either those two or 2 less characters, if I had to guess.

Everyone else I believe was planned from the start.

Ysiadmihi

Banned

Not that I think MK8 is horribly imbalanced, but I don't know why this problem is attributed only to MK Wii when it happens in every single MK game (including this one) and is by far at its worst in MK7.

Baleoce

I'm down with the Koopalings, especially Morton and Ludwig. They actually have a lot of character to them.

Babies though.. I would have been fine if it was babies with character. Baby Wario and Waluigi would have been brilliant for this. But copy and pasting the princesses is a waste of slots.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rF_YhA8K47E

i guess my post got buried.. .

this shows the difference from hopping after a boost vs not hopping

the ghost hopping bursts ahead vs the one not hopping

umm.. no. the ghost drifts at 2.8s and maintains his blue sparks all the way around the corner to 3.8s when he turbos.

the second attempt drifts for a split second at 2.9s and doesn't maintain it around the corner until he hops to turbo a 3.9s (by which point the ghost was already WAY ahead of him).

the video does nothing to show hopping as destructive. It does go to show you the difference between playing "well" and playing at a "better than well" level. The ghost didn't shoot ahead of him because of hopping. He started his drift earlier, maintained it around the entire corner and then turboed a tenth of a second earlier. That's why he bursted ahead.
Not that I think MK8 is horribly imbalanced, but I don't know why this problem is attributed only to MK Wii when it happens in every single MK game (including this one) and is by far at its worst in MK7.
MK7 wasn't really that much worse than MKWii. It basically punished someone for driving beautifully. I get why Nintendo did it (with proof in this very thread) but it was a well known MKWii strategy to keep a close second rather than a distant first. Glad they drastically reduced it here.

Berordn

I don't think it was laziness. They were probably running out of time and wanted to round the roster out a bit and added Baby Rosalina and Pink Gold Peach. It was either those two or 2 less characters, if I had to guess.

Everyone else I believe was planned from the start.

I've kind of been wondering about the Koopalings as well. They're not super detailed (by virtue of their designs moreso than anything), which makes me wonder if they actually just nabbed their NSMB models and touched them up a bit. Doesn't really affect my opinion at all (I like them regardless), but since they've got HD-ready assets for them internally it'd be silly to model them from the ground up.

I'm pretty sure slick tires are the way to go regardless

Slicks are awesome. #slickuser

Coins suck. I came to this realization yesterday and doubly so today when I got coins in 10th place.

image.php

^ Patiently waiting for inevitable destruction. Subject either looks happy or in a sacastic mood.

I always use them. They're good, in my honest opinion.

Yea I just knew it would take me a minute to get used to them. Slid off at the same spot every lap my first race and came in last with them.

Top Bottom