• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 |OT| 8 oW

Griss

Slicks are awesome. #slickuser

Coins suck. I came to this realization yesterday and doubly so today when I got coins in 10th place.

I had a race earlier where for the first time ever I hit every item box you could hit and got a coin each and every time. Through racing skill alone I was in first the entire race, and got hit by a red shell on the last corner, leaving me in second.

I've favourited that replay just to prove to myself that it actually happened. Must have been around 20 coins in a row.

On another point, Bowser Jr. is the lamest and most obnoxious character ever introduced to the Mario World. Sunshine loses points just for having introduced him. He's terrible. Obviously someone at Nintendo agrees because there's really no point to leaving him out. The koopalings, on the other hand, are distilled 90's awesome, and I don't race with anyone else.

R0ckman

Can somebody explain to me who ever asked for Baby Rosalina?

270px-Baby_Rosalina-MK8.png

I really don't get how she made the cut.

All babies were a bad idea really... For every baby they could have chosen a light Mario enemy. Boo, the mice bandits from yoshi's island, bandits, hammer bros, for heavy characters stop with the metal bullshit and give us wart or boom boom or something.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Yup, also team button wheel

Got to even out a bit

Zing

Banned
Those of you who claim the boost hopping won't affect online games must not be in first very often. When you are in first, you often have very long periods of no interference. It is by far the safest position. Being able to extend boosts and get even further ahead will be significant.

AEREC

All babies were a bad idea really... For every baby they could have chosen a light Mario enemy. Boo, the mice bandits from yoshi's island, bandits, hammer bros, for heavy characters stop with the metal bullshit and give us wart or boom boom or something.

Agreed...baby characters are a waste of space.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Those of you who claim the boost hopping won't affect online games must not be in first very often. When you are in first, you often have very long periods of no interference. It is by far the safest position. Being able to extend boosts and get even further ahead will be significant.

we've already gone over this within the last page. This is an affect of almost all kart games and has nothing to do with hopping. if "you often have very long periods of no interference" the most likely reason is like positions 2-4 fighting it out for position lengthening first place's lead. if you get a tight game where 2-3 or 2-4 are all gunning for first place you usually don't see those massive leads.

holy shit, this is insane
how seriously people are taking this 'snake hopping' shit
i've been doing this almost since day one before people were tacking dumb names to it
it's hardly extending your boost, it's just repositioning yourself quickly without diminishing your drift boost's speed. i kinda just figured it'd be a natural tactic employed by people who are used to their karts and find themselves needing to adjust quickly after a drift to chain into the next one. It's hardly something on the level of snaking, it's an advanced technique that isn't that hard to utilize and I'd imagine is pretty intuitive in fact to anyone who's exploited jumps for other purposes in the series before (like cutting small corners and jumping over small obstacles to avoid slowdown)

R0ckman

What is the programing for the blast horn? It seems that its rarer than the blue shell (since that has other factors that its appearance depends on I'm wondering about the horn as well).

Also, did the red shell always track you in the air? Races have gone to hell from air red shell attacks. I can deal with them with drifts but in the air...

First race of the day in the neogaf toruney first win. All is good.
And......... connection error, ugh.

I picked up the game today. Loving the hell out of it so far. It's breathtakingly gorgeous. I have one major issue, though.

Five babies. Seven Koopa Kids. So explain to me how they could possibly omit this ice cold motherfucker right here.

BowserJr.png

I loved playing as him in Mario Kart Wii. Whatever, I can't wait for Mario Kart 9 when we get to play as Baby Waluigi.

EDIT: I can't count.

Becuase he was a bad character that displaced 7 good character in a bad mario game.

I hope he never appears again.

Comm error just now on Toad Harbour probably because some genius left after he shouldn't. I saw someone named "Player" before the countdown on the Gamepad meaning it was CPU who had replaced someone.

I might be in the minority here, but coming in first isn't nearly as thrilling as winning among the pack a lot of times, at least when playing in the GAF tournament.

I'd like to nominate Sunshine's blue coins as the worst platforming collectable in history.

My vote goes to everything in Donkey Kong 64. Great game, but boy did it have a ton of pointless collectables.

Also, leave Sunshine alone! At least it tried to do something different with the formula...

WTF? We're calling Sunshine a bad game now?
Super Mario Sunshine was average at best. Buggy, awful camera (even in the Galaxy-esque bonus levels), lackluster stages and those cringeworthy cutscenes. It had tight controls and FLUDD was fun to use, but I have no motivation to replay it ever again when I can choose between other significantly superior Mario games.

Green shell physics in real life:

kUtbGgX.gif

FmO3ryp.gif
I raise you an anti-baby movement jif:

zxrtyc.gif

It's fun and it's graceful!

My vote goes to everything in Donkey Kong 64. Great game, but boy did it have a ton of pointless collectables.

Also, leave Sunshine alone! At least it tried to do something different with the formula...

Doing something different with the formula is not good if what they did different is unquestionably terrible.

Top Bottom