• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 |OT| 8 oW

plank

yeah unless that has changed I have never seen a selection to for it

I do have a huge HDD but since a Japanese Monster Hunter video showed the different load times between external and internal I have been putting the heavy online play ones internally that is until an SSD becomes cheap enough

You can put WiiU games on SSD cards?

BM8

Neo Member
-Why is Bowser's Castle so freaking good?

large.jpg

beta_fuse

Any Montreal folks get a hold of a copy yet? Tried Valleyfield, Chateauguay, and Vaudreuil. Nothing. Will most likely pick it up digitally anyways.

Holy craaaaap! I just managed to get an early copy in Montreal! Those of you who want to know where I got it shoot me a PM.

Roo

http://www.polygon.com/2014/5/27/5754590/mario-kart-future-rosters-super-smash-bros

Yabuki added that he had to have series newcomers the Koopalings — Bowser's seven rambunctious minions — all appear together in Mario Kart 8; splitting them all up and only including a few was not an option. The director noted their inclusion was because of their "superb individuality" and unique expressions. These seven have replaced a handful of previously-included characters — Bowser Jr., Dry Bones, King Boo and Diddy Kong — for which Yabuki apologized to their fans.

"We’re always considering ways to make the Mario Kart games more appealing, but I don’t think that just increasing the number of characters would make the game better," he said.

Well Yabuki... you're wrong.
Certainly the Koopalings were a nice addition but including shitty characters like another baby and a metal version of Peach hardly makes the game "more appealing"
If there's something people is not getting the game for.. is the roster, that's for sure.

Zemm

Aren't digitally downloaded games automatically registered for those who already have a Club Nintendo account?

Does that mean I wouldn't get a free game since MK8 was registered on Friday at midnight and not 10 a.m. the following morning?

As far as I know Mario Kart 8 is different, if you register a digital code, or buy it from the eShop then the reciept on the Wii U (and email sent to you) will contain the code you need to input on Club Nintendo to get the free game. So you can play at 12am then input the code at 10am.

phanphare

Banned
Certainly the Koopalings were a nice addition but including shitty characters like another baby and a metal version of Peach hardly makes the game "more appealing"
If there's something people is not getting the game for.. is the roster, that's for sure.

Pink Gold Peach is the real deal. c'mon now

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!

I honestly cannot think of a single thing I give LESS of a shit about than the roster in a Mario Kart game. People not getting the game because of it register as legally insane as far as I'm concerned. I barely even pay attention when I choose a racer, I just pick whoever is in the weight class I might want, usually just Mario.

Kanhir

Just got my EU copy today and I'm currently blasting through the 50ccs.

- I can see why they only showed replay footage. There's no difference between grav and antigrav in gameplay.

- Did you always lose your drift charge if you run off the course over grass? Could have sworn you kept it in MK7...

- Only being able to keep one item at a time (even if you're holding a banana behind you) is a pretty big balance change. Maybe meant to make it less easy for players up front to always have a shield out?

- I've only got the Super Horn once, and that's when I ran into a ? box with a blue shell coming up behind me. Planned mechanics or pure dumb luck?

Kinsei

Banned
I honestly cannot think of a single thing I give LESS of a shit about than the roster in a Mario Kart game. People not getting the game because of it register as legally insane as far as I'm concerned. I barely even pay attention when I choose a racer, I just pick whoever is in the weight class I might want, usually just Mario.

Well the draw of MARIO Kart is racing as your favorite Mario characters. I don't care a ton about the roster, but it's understandable that some people do.

daydream

Banned
Wish they would have brought back "?" positions for Yoshi's Valley. Still awesome that they chose it, though, one of my MK64 favs.

guit3457

Okay, It's been a while since I've played anything MK related (MK64) so I have a few doubts.

-How do I start with a turbo? I remember nailing it perfectly back in 1997, now it seems impossible.

-Is it me or sometimes I get random speed boosts? Happened twice in the music level while driving in straight line without me doing anything special.

-Can I do, like, something when I'm flying other than change direction? I have the impression that there's a mechanic I'm missing here.

-Why is Bowser's Castle so freaking good?

I cant believe how amazing this track is. Have you seen the lava and fire effects? Just amazing....

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Well the draw of MARIO Kart is racing as your favorite Mario characters. I don't care a ton about the roster, but it's understandable that some people do.

Maybe it's just me, but I think the draw of Mario Kart is racing in Mario locales and an overall Mario theme, not so much choosing to race as a specific Mario character. Particularly since the racers are all just bundles of stats, and my preference for actual handling and performance would far outweigh any preference towards an actual character if that character wouldn't feel good to race as.

Roo

Pink Gold Peach is the real deal. c'mon now
She isn't tho.

Well, that's your opinion but some people do care about it.

Just got mario kart. It doesnt come out until friday yet it was already sold out at the media markt I went, mine was the last copy. The woman there said they were nearly sold out since morning, and the only ones that were still there this afternoon were inside, and mine was the last one.

My friend had the limited edition preordered but those seem to get there tomorrow.

I started playing the 50cc first cup and the game looks AMAZING. Online also seems to work really well and fast, but I had to disconnect becuase they chose rainbow road and I didn't want to be spoiled.

great vid, I really dont like the red case. It just makes sense to keep it blue.

US Mario Karts have a red case tradition just like gold cases for Zelda I think
I think it clashes with the WiiU blue they should have made the WiiU blue Red

they have done WiiU on Black before in Japan but NOA seems stuck trying to brand this thing blue

addyb

Bowsers castle is indeed brilliant. So glad grumble volcano is in as well. Probably my favourite Wii track.

Xeroblade

US Mario Karts have a red case tradition just like gold cases for Zelda I think
I think it clashes with the WiiU blue they should have made the WiiU blue Red

they have done WiiU on Black before in Japan but NOA seems stuck trying to brand this thing blue

Wait did i miss out on Mario Kart 7 coming in a red case!? that would have made sense. Big red 7. So black cases in Japan? I like that.

Dinjooh

Played through all of it on 50cc now. Favourite track so far is probably Thwomp Ruins or Shy Guy Falls.

Now, dinner, and then - 100cc.

Top Bottom