• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 |OT| 8 oW

Was hoping my Tesco Direct order may have turned up today, alas it did not :(

What are the online multiplayer options like? Is there a way to buddy up with friends and then jump into a series of games with others?

Gsnap

I don't have to work friday! MK all day.

This will be my first Mario Kart since Double Dash. So I'm really ready for it.

Any word on any gaf tournaments?

I'm thinking the Coin is the worst item in Mario Kart history, sure you might say Thunder Cloud or perhaps Spiny Shell but hey at least those weapons have a purpose no matter how cruel it may seem at times.
The coin exists to be the epitome of item based disappointment and despair, that's the closest thing to its role in the grand scheme of Mario Kart.
Picture the final stretch of Bowser's Castle, a mighty race long clash between Shyguy and Ludwig Koopa culminates as they both shoot off their respective glider points almost simultaneously with the last item acquisition of the race, upon meeting up in mid air through the boiling lava spouts the roulette finalizes the item selections visible for all to see, Ludwig gets this spiffy red shell, suck it Shyguy you can have this coin, OH GEE WHIZ, THANKS PAL!
Then said coin was lost after getting a red shell in my arse thus cementing its worthlessness for all.

Do coins actually make you go faster? I swear I never noticed a difference between 0 coins and 10 coins in MK7. The difference is so subtle as to make coins pointless.

Jucksalbe

Banned
I'm thinking the Coin is the worst item in Mario Kart history, sure you might say Thunder Cloud or perhaps Spiny Shell but hey at least those weapons have a purpose no matter how cruel it may seem at times.

It's supposed to be a blank which can be quite important when you're in first place switching items as it increases the risk to do so.

Do coins actually make you go faster? I swear I never noticed a difference between 0 coins and 10 coins in MK7. The difference is so subtle as to make coins pointless.

Yes, they do. It's not as noticable in races, but in Time Trial you will notice the difference.

dock

Enjoying this, although I'm wishing I knew more people online.
Nnid: dockstar

What are the stars in the top left corner you can add with the + button between matches?

Robin64

Did you upload them? I'm still trying to figure out how I can see a friend's ghost, but maybe noone on my list uploaded one yet.

I didn't, but I'll upload the Mario Stadium one after I finish this GP. It's not great, but it beat the time needed.

Though I never saw your ghost and I'm sure you had uploaded it for that, right?

Berg

Just checked my Dell MK8 order and it is saying "shipped" with a 6/3 estimated delivery date...

BUT

FedEx is saying delivery by tomorrow, if they pull through this is gonna be a great freaking weekend!

Anybody else who ordered from Dell seeing the same?

I would trust FedEx's date more than Dell's.

Enjoying this, although I'm wishing I knew more people online.
Nnid: dockstar

What are the stars in the top left corner you can add with the + button between matches?
I haven't actually tried it out yet, but I believe it favorites the replay of the race. That way, you can edit it later in MKTV.

WWW0ryo.gif

I can make it, I know I can, just a little more

tm24

Ugh, just realized I accidentally put ship to home instead of ship to store for BB. Not sure how i screwed that up

The download code at game.co.uk is £39.99 and you get back the points as for the full price. The code can be used in any EU eshop.

If I go down this route is the code always sent through an automated system right away? Thinking of doing this since I wanna play this tonight but not miss out on the Premium points, and Amazon haven't sent me a dispatch email yet.

je_ssi e

Never having played Mario Kart online before, is it even possible to be competitive online without using a heavy character? Feels like Morton/Wario/Rosalina will win 9 out of 10 times :(
Yup. Speed obviously helps, but it won't make a difference if you don't have any good lines. I use Koopa and I have no trouble keeping up with people who use heavy characters.
That will be true for a while, I think.
On MKWii I used Baby Peach and I was able to keep a 5+ W/L on that game. But, overtime the meta will probably change. For the first time in a few years I've been playing MKWii's online, in prep for MK8. It's not the same game I played back then. It's a lot harder to be a lightweight.

I noticed the game became even harder still when you had to do the work-around to keep playing online. Which makes sense, as these are likely the hardcore players.

Though, MKWii is really an unbalanced mess at times. Rather, Funky Bike Wii. Aha. MK8 seems more balanced, especially with items.

The small guys will be fine, I think.
I've purposely been watching players on twitch that are using lightweights to see how they do and they're still winning races. Even against heavies. So, I'm happy with that. The speed differences aren't that massive where you have zero chance to be competitive. Least of all the biggest reason it's harder to be a lightweight (getting bounced around SUCKS!).

Rainbow Road is hell. :p

I don't care, though.
Most of the characters I like are in the lightweight category. So, I'll deal.

Anyways.. picking up the MK8 bundle tomorrow, along with a PRO controller. Really wish that gamecube adapter was out now, as I'd get that instead. I've got MH3U/DKTF ordered from Amazon and plan to pick NSMBU for my free game. The wait.. I can't take it anymore. Though, stupid work.. I probably wont be able to pick it up until the late afternoon. Boooo!

OuterLimits

Watching NickToons with my son and I keep seeing advertisements for Mario Kart 8. Can't wait to play even though I am pretty terrible at Mario Kart.

Robin64

Yeah, I uploaded ghosts for all tracks of the Mushroom Cup. I didn't make a Miiverse post for all of them, not sure if I really have to.

I think you do. I'm not sure the ghost is "out there" without the Miiverse post. I expect the Miiverse posts have hidden meta data containing the ghost info and it's using the posts to populate games.

Fuck Gaf, I feel I should have gone digital to play this game at 12 AM, since my insomnia is making me go to bed at 2-3 AM every night. Now I have to wait till 4 tomorrow afternoon to play it. And my order of Watch_dogs is also arriving tomorrow. I need to learn the art of playing 2 games simultaneously.

zroid

Banned
My copy shipped... so I'll probably be getting it tomorrow

...but my mail doesn't usually arrive till around 4 pm so :(

Robin64

Now I'm not so sure about the ghost thing. It wouldn't go to "uploaded" until I filled in a Miiverse post, but now I see loads of times up without a post attached to them... I do see your 1:50.215 upload for Mario Stadium though, Jucksalbe. It just appears in the list, but you are orange to stand out.

It's supposed to be a blank which can be quite important when you're in first place switching items as it increases the risk to do so.

See I considered this angle for a moment, an "item" to deter first place from swapping out items in the hope for the not nearly as elusive as some reviewers painted horn item to prevent spiny shellage (sods law dictates if you get one in first the lightning will just zap you instead).
But this was outweighed by instances of say recovering from lightning and getting a coin as your desperation defence or the frown inducing fifth place coin among other instances of coin related tragedy, I just can't accept this rogue item.

It's just a matter of time, soon many a Gaffer will have MK8 and the coin controversy will grip this thread as tightly as it grips my upper position item boxes.

DrunkDan

Bought the game.co.uk digital download earlier and the activation code was emailed instantly.

Going to start the download in the morning before work then spend all day counting down the hours.

Got the feeling tomorrow might drag. Mario Kart and Froch/Groves are my only plans for the weekend.

Gamestop has my copy ready for tomorrow (hopefully with the poster) after work.
I got more than enough games to tide me over until then (including some last races in MK7).

Jucksalbe

Banned
Any GAFfers playing in our lobby at the moment?

I'd join if you'd like to play.

Now I'm not so sure about the ghost thing. It wouldn't go to "uploaded" until I filled in a Miiverse post, but now I see loads of times up without a post attached to them... I do see your 1:50.215 upload for Mario Stadium though, Jucksalbe. It just appears in the list, but you are orange to stand out.

I just cancelled the Miiverse post and it still said "Ghost data uploaded". I didn't see your time yet, though.

It's just a matter of time, soon many a Gaffer will have MK8 and the coin controversy will grip this thread as tightly as it grips my upper position item boxes.

It's GAF, people derailed threads for less. But since you can only hold one item now, it's good to have something that leaves you more open for attack.

Top Bottom