• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 Sells More Than 1.2 Million Units Worldwide Over First Weekend

Kriken

That titanfall vs Mario kart 8 thread should be fun. Looks like MK8 surpassed it in one weekend lol. This is great, maybe there is a slight tiny hole of light for the system.

Isn't Titanfall at over 1 million on Xbone in the US alone? I know the April NPD wasn't kind to it and it really depends on how good the legs are in the coming months for MK8 and if the bundle gets cheaper or not

Is it a possibility that Mario Kart 8's ability to push Wii U's (Hopefully in addition to the likes of Smash, Zelda, and whatever else they have prepared for E3) will cause a domino effect of a lot of those owners moving on to purchase the likes of 3D World and Tropical Freeze, the likes of which didn't sell INSANE numbers but have the legging potential of games like NSMBWii and MKWii?

So Nintendo has sold 1.2 two millions units, but also lost potentially 1.2 million in sales if everyone gets their free game.

See, I think it's in Nintendo's best interests to get people more excited about the Wii U. Giving away 1.2 million copies of Pikmin 3 doesn't really cost them anything if those 1.2 milliong people weren't going to buy Pikmin 3 anyway.

It's also a rare example of early adopters being rewarded instead of punished (e.g. when a game is re-released later with free DLC included or when the online is broken for the first month or so), and I'm one of the people who downloaded Pikmin who wouldn't have otherwise bought it, and the free promotion was the biggest deciding factor in buying Mario Kart on Day 1 for me.

Sethista

attach rate is good, and great sales. Expected tho, all these people that bought the Wii U so far are Nintendo fans, and the game is lacking on compelling hardware for a while, so anyone wth half a brain that already owns the console should be all over mario kart.

I would be surprised if at this point, it did not reach over 60% attach rate. Even if it does manage to move a good number of new Wii U sales. Which I dont think it will be significant,

It's the first game to release where I really wish I had a wii U to play it on.

You should absolutely buy one, if even just used on Craigslist. This game is absolutely phenomenal! Along with 3D World, I can't imagine two better games to sell a system.

Congrats Nintendo! As others have said, hopefully a couple other titles along with the new Smash Bros. can bring the Wii U back a bit.

Isn't Titanfall at over 1 million on Xbone in the US alone? I know the April NPD wasn't kind to it and it really depends on how good the legs are in the coming months for MK8 and if the bundle gets cheaper or not
I'm pretty sure the last we heard it was about a million on PC and XB1 combined, with no info on the 360 numbers.

attach rate is good, and great sales. Expected tho, all these people that bought the Wii U so far are Nintendo fans, and the game is lacking on compelling hardware for a while, so anyone wth half a brain that already owns the console should be all over mario kart.

I would be surprised if at this point, it did not reach over 60% attach rate. Even if it does manage to move a good number of new Wii U sales. Which I dont think it will be significant,
People need to stop talking like this. Not every Nintendo fan (not to mention people who buy a Wii U)) likes Mario Kart.

ec0ec0

Gaf: DLC, DLC, DLC...

Forget about DLC!! They alredy gave you a really polished game.

Actually, i dont like the idea of the team/part of the team working on DLC for the next months... why!? 1. Because part of the team can help with other games now. 2. Because the 3ds successor is going to need a new mario kart as soon as posible after release (we saw how important mario kart 7 was for the 3ds). If they start now, they could have the next one ready in 2 years or so (??). And thas already a lot of time.

I dont know. They are going to need many games for the first months (and the first year) of the 3ds successor.

Am i thinking too far away!?

Leatherface

Glad to be a part of this. I finally folded and bought a MK8 Wii U bundle. Very excited to have Nintendo back in my life again. Can't wait to get my Mario Kart on!

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

Actually, i dont like the idea of the team/part of the team working on DLC for the next months... why!? 1. Because part of the team can help with other games now. 2. Because the 3ds successor is going to need a new mario kart as soon as posible after release (we saw how important mario kart 7 was for the 3ds). If they start now, the could have the next one ready in 2 years or so (??). And thas already a lot of time.

I dont know. They are going to need many games for the first months (and the first year) of the 3ds successor.

Umm how about DLC so that fucking battle mode is actually playable?

That'd be a start.

Branduil

The way content is delivered in Gran Turismo and other modern franchises is much different than in the 90s. Mario Kart's single-player has always been a bunch of four step Grand Prix. It's super redundant.

Please, copy CTR!!!

Super Mario Kart had 20 courses(only 8 unique stages, with the other courses being variants), 8 drivers, and was limited to 2 players. The driving, items, and AI were very limited, and all of the courses were flat due to it being a Mode 7 game.

Mario Kart 8 has 32 courses(16 brand new and 16 reworked retro course), 30 characters, customizable vehicles, bikes, gliders, etc. which all effect how your kart drives. It has numerous items which didn't exist in SMK as well as the new anti-gravity feature. The way karts handle in newer Mario Karts is completely different from SMK, which also didn't have features like drifting, drafting, tricks, etc. Not to mention online play.

It's not a series with huge innovations every game, but it's definitely changed significantly from its starting point.

I had the weirdest experience with my 3 year old nephew yesterday. He came around and started fiddling with the gamepad (he likes touch screens) and I asked him to let it go and he started jabbing the Mario Kart 8 icon and shouting "Mario, Mario". He can't even play games yet.

SyaraSystem

Neo Member
Will the hardware needle be convincingly moved.
Only time will tell.
Solid numbers out of the gate, but I question the longevity, given the install base.

Kevtones

MK8 sales: 1,200,000 x $60 = $72,000,000
-
Promotion: 1,200,000 x $60 -$72,000,000
-
Digital promotion: 1,200,000 x $6 = -$7,200,000

Nintendo bank account = -$7,200,000

Who will feed Miyamoto's children?

Rival

Gold Member
Hopefully this is the start of a turnaround for nintendo. I bought it day one and love it so far. Obviously wii u is not going to be a huge hit like wii or ps4 but they could end up with some numbers that allows them to start being profitable again.I don't want to game in a world where there is no nintendo.

Mesoian

Super Mario Kart had 20 courses(only 8 unique stages, with the other courses being variants), 8 drivers, and was limited to 2 players. The driving, items, and AI were very limited, and all of the courses were flat due to it being a Mode 7 game.

Mario Kart 8 has 32 courses(16 brand new and 16 reworked retro course), 30 characters, customizable vehicles, bikes, gliders, etc. which all effect how your kart drives. It has numerous items which didn't exist in SMK as well as the new anti-gravity feature. The way karts handle in newer Mario Karts is completely different from SMK, which also didn't have features like drifting, drafting, tricks, etc. Not to mention online play.

It's not a series with huge innovations every game, but it's definitely changed significantly from its starting point.

I think his point was that in the 22 years that Mario Kart has existed, the level of progress as related to options and features has been incredibly sparse. I tend to agree.

Great results! I think this pretty much confirms there will be paid DLC somewhere in the future for this game. If done right (such as battle mode arenas, new characters and new tracks), it could be amazing to extend MK8's life!
Battle mode arenas which should have been in the game in the first place should not be paid DLC.

Surprisingly strong showing for the game. Well deserved, by all accounts.

What is crucial is seeing how it impacted console sales. If these sales are mostly all from the existing installed base, that's a bleak outlook. If it's pulling in a sizable number of people to buy the box, then that's great. I'm hedging my expectations, though.

d0nnie

Banned
Well I own all 3 systems and mario kart 8 firmly holds the console up to the ps4 and xbox 1, right now mario kart 8 is my number one next gen game :)

Who would have thought that little game would leave my xbox one and ps4 gathering dust!

Interesting insight...after playing MK8, I am seriously considering on selling my XBO and getting a Wii U instead. If Microsoft doesn't pull any hat tricks at E3, I'll be getting a Wii U. XBO doesn't have any "wow" exclusives for me, and all the multi-plats will be better on the PS4 anyway. Wii U seems to offer a different kind of gaming fun.

Nicktendo86

Umm how about DLC so that fucking battle mode is actually playable?

That'd be a start.
I think it is pretty clear that they thought it was very important to get the game out before e3 to build some momentum, something had to give, and it was battle mode that got the half arsed treatment. A real shame as Nintendo are usually famed for not releasing a game until it is ready (with a few exceptions!) but in this case I think they were right. Will be really surprised if some battle arena dlc doesn't come out sometime soon, and I would bet it is free with paid content to follow.

The game is good. All the new tracks are amazing IMO. Only dark spot on the whole package is battle mode, but it definitely deserves strong sales out the gate.

Davey Cakes

Actually, i dont like the idea of the team/part of the team working on DLC for the next months... why!? 1. Because part of the team can help with other games now. 2. Because the 3ds successor is going to need a new mario kart as soon as posible after release (we saw how important mario kart 7 was for the 3ds). If they start now, they could have the next one ready in 2 years or so (??). And thas already a lot of time.

I agree it's a polished game and doesn't NEED DLC but more content down the line could keep the game alive and invigorate it in areas where it's lacking (battle mode).

Plus I'm pretty sure most people are happy that New Super Luigi U happened. Nintendo's amount of content is pretty great on 3DS/Wii U despite allocating resources to various DLC projects for their games.

People are going to enjoy MK8 for a while but, as a game it's pretty much begging more for a healthy DLC model than any other Nintendo game, honestly.

Sethista

People need to stop talking like this. Not every Nintendo fan (not to mention people who buy a Wii U)) likes Mario Kart

It goes beyond all nintendo fans liking Mario Kart or not. It speaks to the amount of games for the Wii u. Even people that own Wii u's and dont like mario kart may feel tempted to buy it and have reasons to take it out for a spin.

That is why I think the attach rate will be over 60%, accounting for the people that just wont buy it.

I see this mario kart selling over 3.5 million copies in the coming months, easy.

-
-

The promotion games are all $40 anyway. So that's $72,000,000 - $48,000,000 - $7,200,000 (assuming every purchase was by a wii deluxe owner who redeemed or will redeem their codes) = $16,800,000.

Gambit82

Banned
-
-

Are you demonstrating some Polygon New Math?

Platy

mario_kart_overlapping_line_chart.jpg

I'm afraid it's over now, guys.

LOL lifetime sales projected xD

The promotion games are all $40 anyway. So that's $72,000,000 - $48,000,000 - $7,200,000 (assuming every purchase was by a wii deluxe owner who redeemed or will redeem their codes) = $16,800,000.

I like to think thqat the promotion games already made the majority of what they're gonna make, so giving them away for free doesn't make that much of a difference.

Mr Swine

Banned

Not all European countries get that promotion either so...

Phazon

-
-

I hope that is a joke, because it doesn't work that way.

Besides, the digital promotion vouchers attracht people to the eshop.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
So I wonder how differently the Wii U would have been initially received if MK8 was a launch window- ish title instead of NSMB U/ Nintendoland. Just from a purely visual perspective, MK8 just looks like a greater step forward than previous Wii U titles.

MK definitely should be a launch period title, or at the very latest the first big game near the anniversary mark like it was on the 3DS.

Top Bottom