• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 Sells More Than 1.2 Million Units Worldwide Over First Weekend

You would think they would seize than chance to talk about how they and pretty much the whole world was wrong about their sales predictions for MK8.

Why is this game selling better?
Is this the turnaround that Nintendo has been hoping for?
Does this signal more buy 1 get 1 deals in the future?

Lots of questions to ask and discuss.

For some reason they are having none of it.

100% agree with this. when you look at the context of what kind of articles they AREN'T writing, a smell of either bias or ineptitude or clickbaiting begins to surface.

Don't forget Nintendo can announce new games that'll release this year too.

I'm really expecting(well hoping) that the second half of this year is packed.

kZwyhKL.gif

AniHawk

that's a very positive result. we'll see how well it holds.

i bought myself a copy, and i got a bundle for my sister and her fiancée as a late engagement gift. i made up for 0.00016% of all purchases over the weekend.

gogogow

Not really a surprise. Its selling to a starved audience that basically has bought Wii Us to play Nintendo games.

Maybe you think like this because you only own one console.
Next to a Wii U, I also own a PS4, PS3, Vita, 3DS, 360 and a gaming PC. I'm not starved for games to play, I actually have too much games since the PS2 era. I still bought MK8, because it's a great game.

But keep on spinning, if it makes you feel better.

Scoops

Banned
Using a pie chart makes no sense here.

Then again, seems like most gaming journalists aren't even qualified for tabloids.

thatsthejoke.gif

Actually, it's not a terrible pie chart it just doesn't show what they were intending. It's basically showing the lifetime attach rate of the MK series.

I don't know how you can extract this kind of information out of a chart that's being posted solely to make Polygon look bad (rightfully so, mind you).

But that has to be true if the worst selling system next to the WiiU (the GC) sold more copies of Mario Kart than there are WiiU systems in people's homes.

Maybe this will be the first WiiU title to hold it's retail value for more than a few months. Seems like most Nintendo titles end up heavily reduced which would be unheard of in the Wii/DS era.

In the UK pretty much every title gets reduced quickly lol. Rightly so since some of them are £50.

JLeack

Banned
Who is willing to bet the next Mario Kart will be 8 Grand Prix, a few new characters, a few new weapons, and a better Battle Mode?

This is one of those franchises that is nearly the same now as it was 20 years ago. Insane.

EDIT: Just to be clear, I went out and purchased a Wii U last Friday for this game. I enjoy it, but the single-player is very light in content. I think the game is slightly overrated

Who is willing to bet the next Mario Kart will be 8 Grand Prix, a few new characters, a few new weapons, and a better Battle Mode?

This is one of those franchises that is nearly the same now as it was 20 years ago. Insane.

and I don't want it any other way.

Hunter S.

Maybe you think like this because you only own one console.
Next to a Wii U, I also own a PS4, PS3, Vita, 3DS, 360 and a gaming PC. I'm not starved for games to play, I actually have too much games since the PS2 era. I still bought MK8, because it's a great game.

But keep on spinning, if it makes you feel better.

Though it is a negative view. Most gamers only buy one platform per gen. Certainly the majority do not buy them all.

It's a racing game... that's like saying "Grand Tourismo is basically the same game as the first one!"

There is only so much you can do with the genre, and if you'd have played it you'd at least know that the game is polished as fuuuuuuuuuuck.

hawk2025

No, it's not.

The tracks are fundamentally different (even the old ones), the item balancing completely changes, they have added parts and kart customization, bikes, flying and underwater segments, and completely rebalanced the gameplay.

MDX

So Nintendo has sold 1.2 two millions units, but also lost potentially 1.2 million in sales if everyone gets their free game.

Yeah, outside of some major changes, it's basically the exact same thing. I can't believe people are buying this crap.

Is it a possibility that Mario Kart 8's ability to push Wii U's (Hopefully in addition to the likes of Smash, Zelda, and whatever else they have prepared for E3) will cause a domino effect of a lot of those owners moving on to purchase the likes of 3D World and Tropical Freeze, the likes of which didn't sell INSANE numbers but have the legging potential of games like NSMBWii and MKWii?

m00h

Banned
Ok, I'll get a WiiU now. It was in a consideration for a long time now, and finally I can't find any reason not to get one. There is already a good amount of games I would like to play, don't even have to wait for the E3 announcements.

Gestault

Insomuch as Battlefield is "nearly" the same as Wolfenstein 3D? Sure. Beyond that, I think you're oversimplifying, or misunderstanding what a sequel can be or the degree to which these games have changed over time.

GT follows a similar pattern and people still love it. It kind of fits with racing games.

20 years ago

Now

JLeakck said:
The way content is delivered in Gran Turismo and other modern franchises is much different than in the 90s. Mario Kart's single-player has always been a bunch of four step Grand Prix. It's super redundant.

Please, copy CTR!!!
main game is fun

That's all that really matters.

Plus online is great!

JLeack

Banned
It's a racing game... that's like saying "Grand Tourismo is basically the same game as the first one!"

There is only so much you can do with the genre, and if you'd have played it you'd at least know that the game is polished as fuuuuuuuuuuck.

The way content is delivered in Gran Turismo and other modern franchises is much different than in the 90s. Mario Kart's single-player has always been a bunch of four step Grand Prix. It's super redundant.

Please, copy CTR!!!

Banned
That titanfall vs Mario kart 8 thread should be fun. Looks like MK8 surpassed it in one weekend lol. This is great, maybe there is a slight tiny hole of light for the system.

Great results! I think this pretty much confirms there will be paid DLC somewhere in the future for this game. If done right (such as battle mode arenas, new characters and new tracks), it could be amazing to extend MK8's life!

I hope I hope I hope there's DLC for this - characters, courses, items, battle arenas (especially battle arenas - can you imagine if they included the courses from the N64? Block Fort for the win), I'd pay for any and all of it... this game is so fun, favorite multiplayer Wii U game so far and that's saying something for a system that has two awesome Mario multiplayer games and Nintendo Land.

I also got Pikmin with the Free Download Promo, and I love it! Can hardly pull myself away (stupid responsiblities...)

Davey Cakes

Though the Wii U has a low install base in comparison to the Wii, I think MK8 has the potential to be way more viral than any of its predecessors. The game is basically being promoted in several different ways.

Could bode well for lifetime sales and just raising awareness of the Wii U in general.

Nintendo's going to want to keep people interested in this game for a while. They're already going to continue the main marketing campaign for the rest of the year. I really hope they're planning for additional content later on as well.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity

Please, copy CTR!!!

Or Sonic All Stars Racing Transformed

emalord

To me, these numbers mean that WiiU has a far wider hardcore base than the Wii.
If so many WiiU users (25% of the WiiU population) bought this game at launch, it means this is a console with a strong base of pure gamers, informed and starved of quality stuff.

In fact they gave me 5$ for WiiU party with the digital promotion.

Thanks for reminding me... need to check if there is something on the VC I want with my $5 from Zelda... MK8 is easily the best gaming deal of the year (on a brand new game) it's kind of crazy for anyone that will eventually get the system not to jump on the wagon and do so now.

Top Bottom