• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 Sells More Than 1.2 Million Units Worldwide Over First Weekend

plank

I bought it.

Wii U's first party efforts have been amazing. I bought it for Bayo 2, but have been very happy with the 1st party software released in the interim. They're just game ass games. Wonderful.

What free game did you get with the promotion, or do you have them already?

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Ah, right.

Who's going to tweet this to Kuchera? I need to see his answer.

No, seriously, someone must do that :lol

Damaniel

Banned
Hell of an attach rate, but is it going to sell consoles in the long term? A 25% attach rate to existing customers isn't going to save Wii U, but selling 4-5 million more consoles as a direct result of MK8's release will do some good. Mario Kart games have legs, so I could see at least a couple million hardware units sold in the coming year due to MK8.

(That said, I haven't bought MK8 and don't plan to. It's a series I haven't cared about much since the original. X is the game I really want at this point.)

ieWvNy6maDnBU.gif
OMG !!!! soooooooooooooooooo gooood laughing OUT LOAD HERE holy shit :D

JDSN

Banned
The most shocking part of this result is that Kuchera actually got something right. Must be a sign or the End Times, someone grab a bible and check.

Those predictions are his lifetime numbers, so he is actually wrong in a very funny almost karmic way.

Wynnebeck

Banned
Expected. It's not the software sales we are looking at. It's the resulting hardware bump that has me interested the most. Is this truly the beginning of a turn around for Wii U or just another great selling game mired by terrible hardware sales?

hawk2025

Again:

Although he endorsed them, those are NOT Kuchera's predictions or his article.

It may be a small distinction, but it's one that should be mentioned anyways in the interest of accuracy.

RM8

Hell of an attach rate, but is it going to sell consoles in the long term? A 25% attach rate to existing customers isn't going to save Wii U, but selling 4-5 million more consoles as a direct result of MK8's release will do some good. Mario Kart games have legs, so I could see at least a couple million hardware units sold in the coming year due to MK8.

(That said, I haven't bought MK8 and don't plan to. It's a series I haven't cared about much since the original. X is the game I really want at this point.)
This game is going to keep selling for a while. IIRC, last year, Mario Kart Wii (2008) sold one million copies, co-existing with the ~10 million copies seller Mario Kart 7. So yeah, I do think this will move some systems. I'm hopeful WiiU can achieve GCN numbers after all is said and done.

meanspartan

Wow, way better than expected. Now drop the price to $250 with Mario Kart included and we may get some real numbers.

The Wii U won't ever get close to Wii sales, but I don't see why they can't salvage it and get to 25 or 30 million.

Wow, way better than expected. Now drop the price to $250 with Mario Kart included and we may get some real numbers.

The Wii U won't ever get close to Wii sales, but I don't see why they can't salvage it and get to 25 or 30 million.

I can see it getting Gamecube numbers. Still though, to say this will be the worst selling Mario Kart was laughable. I am predicting around 6 million LTD at least.

Kriken

Good for Nintendo, very deserving million unit seller, on a flip side, this confirms my idea that Iwata will boast this to try to boost his approval ratings above 50%

mario_kart_overlapping_line_chart.jpg

I'm afraid it's over now, guys.

:lol that was amazing

Laconic

Banned
Again:

Although he endorsed them, those are NOT Kuchera's predictions or his article.

It may be a small distinction, but it's one that should be mentioned anyways in the interest of accuracy.

Endorsing them kind of sort of make them his, though.

Well deserved and I got fucking Pikmin 3, could not ask for more?

Been playing MK8 and the graphics, how it handles and the fun factor are all amazing!!
Just played a little bit of Pikmin 3 and that game oozes with atmosphere, looks like a very solid game, thanks MK8!!

Laconic

Banned
Well deserved and I got fucking Pikmin 3, could not ask for more?

Been playing MK8 and the graphics, how it handles and the fun factor are all amazing!!
Just played a little bit of Pikmin 3 and that game oozes with atmosphere, looks like a very solid game, thanks MK8!!

You went with Pikmin too? Good man.

If E3 showcases some great looking titles for "core" audiences, I feel like the Wii U might have a chance to resurface and actually push some legitimate numbers. I'm not saying it's saved nor am I saying that in the longterm it's even going to touch the Xbone or PS4's sales, but hopefully with Smash, Zelda, a new IP, and the rest of the games they have in their backlog (i.e; Yoshi Yarn, Hyrule Warriors, SMT x FE, etc) this console won't be a complete flop.

LowSignal

I'm one of the suckers who bought a mario kart 8 bundaru. Love/hate the online, I'm hoping a Zelda or metro is comes out this year too fully justifiy my purchase

meanspartan

I can see it getting Gamecube numbers. Still though, to say this will be the worst selling Mario Kart was laughable. I am predicting around 6 million LTD at least.

Ya Gamecube numbers would be a decent salvage. But I think they need to drop to $250, or even $200 if they can. Otherwise I think they will end up at 15 million total instead of 25 or 30.

AdanVC

And this was only on it's first weekend! Holy moly this is awesome! Totally and absolutely desserved. My hope on humanity in terms of gaming increased a bit :')

Hope this also means lot's of Wii U consoles sold so that the new users can explore and play all the other awesome 1st Party titles that didn't quite well such as The Wonderful 101, Pikmin 3, DKC: Tropical Freeze, etc.

Top Bottom