• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 Sells More Than 1.2 Million Units Worldwide Over First Weekend

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
That's much stronger than I expected, outstanding. Hopefully it keeps selling well and moves a good number of systems in the process.

I have to admit, a week ago I had zero itch to buy a Wii-U, but after reading some of that "year of Luigi" thread (the one full of hilarious gifs) I'm starting to feel tempted. If Zelda comes out swinging I may just fold and go on a Nintendo spending spree.

Lijik

That's sold to the hardest of the hardcore, though. We'll see how much the game will actually expand the Wii U audience.

If that was the case Id imagine other first party Wii U games would have had stronger first week sales instead of only being a fraction of this. I agree we'll have to wait and see how this does in the long run, though I imagine this game will have some strong legs.

AdanVC

Nintendo of America President Reggie Fils-Aime had this to say in the announcement:

The early response to Mario Kart 8 demonstrates that the best days for Wii U are still ahead. This year’s E3 is just days away, and it will be all about the future games for Nintendo platforms. This milestone is a great place to start!

via Nintendo Life

Wynnebeck

Banned
Ladies and Gentlemen...

RZxWxvB.png

We have our answer.

lol Waaaay too early to say this, but the enthusiasm is entertaining.

The best thing about this announcement is that MK8 pulled in these kind of sales even though it re-balanced items, tracks, and characters. MK Wii and Brawl punished competitive players with mandatory random elements, but MK8 made a lot of changes so that beginners can still have fun without punishing better players for racing well. Some have claimed that those random elements are needed to reach a wider audience, but this news suggests otherwise.

random25

Wow that last paragraph still had to take a jab

Seriously Polygon?

They really are betting their lives to make their prediction happen lol. But seriously, Mario Kart franchise is already a known multi-million-seller ever since. I'm surprised that there are still surprised about this.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I have to think Smash Bros. has the same potential as Mario Kart but the only problem is I don't know if Nintendo has anything else first party that could create the same buzz after these two games. Maybe a console Pokemon RPG, even though that's the one thing Gamefreak doesn't want to make.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
As someone that always maintained MK8 would do well, it nice to see it happening.

In my opinion, Nintendo should definitely prioritise MK9/10 as launch titles for their next handheld/console. MK7 saved the 3DS and MK8 is doing well for the Wii U too. It seems to be the one game that is guaranteed to shift units.

People should stop saying it's the hardcores who are buying the game, MK seems to be legitimately attracting non-WiiU owners.
In what proportion is the question. If 1.1M of these copies have been sold to existing owners and the game simply has a strong attach rate, then as software its obviously successful, but it hasn't served the greater burden it's meant to shoulder. Although I suppose that would still represent something like a 100-200% increase.

Mory Dunz

yeah I'd wait for the hardware bump to proclaim that, the 8k bump in UK doesn't seem to suggest so.

20% attach rate is very good but it's not out of the norm, plenty of games have done it before.

Whoa, where was this? All we got was the 666% right? I checked the PAL thread for numbers.

My girlfriend bought this game...

...for the Wii U she doesn't even have yet.

Mario Kart is that strong to people...if they can get more people playing this game and get more people to see it/know about it/understand that it's crazy anti-gravity HD Mario Kart, they could probably push Wii U just a little bit with it.

I have to think Smash Bros. has the same potential as Mario Kart but the only problem is I don't know if Nintendo has anything else first party that could create the same buzz after these two games. Maybe a console Pokemon RPG, even though that's the one thing Gamefreak doesn't want to make.

A new Zelda that tries to capture the same or a similar audience to Twilight Princess would be a start. That's not to say that's what I necessarily want, but TP was one of the biggest-selling Zelda titles ever and I don't doubt that its visual style had a lot to do with that.

FryHole

It's kind of sad/funny that they link to their own poorly reasoned sales forecast article at the end of that, seeing as how, while it may still be the worst selling MK in history, their reasoning behind that article is simply completely false.

That's straight up embarrassing. From time to time everyone knocks out a piece of work that can be charitably described as half-arsed. The sensible thing to do is let it become quietly consigned to the dustbin of history, not stick it on your CV.

The best thing about this announcement is that MK8 pulled in these kind of sales even though it re-balanced items, tracks, and characters. MK Wii and Brawl punished competitive players with mandatory random elements, but MK8 made a lot of changes so that beginners can still have fun without punishing better players for racing well. Some have claimed that those random elements are needed to reach a wider audience, but this news suggests otherwise.

Yeah, that's really great. I never did like their openly hostile approach to competetive/hardcore play last gen. Between this, and how they're actually embracing the Smash community, it seems they've turned a corner on such things.

Alchemy

Better then expected. What will be really telling is how it continues to sell long term. Usually Nintendo games have decent legs, but there isn't much room for sales to grow here.

VanWinkle

I highly doubt that. I don't think SSB is nearly as big and mainstream a franchise as MK.

It will be super interesting to watch the sales dynamic of that game. For reference, I doubt SM3DW even broke 500k WW during its first week (with 100k in Japan and 200k in the US), but it was sitting above 2M by the end of March.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
yeah I'd wait for the hardware bump to proclaim that, the 8k bump in UK doesn't seem to suggest so.

20% attach rate is very good but it's not out of the norm, plenty of games have done it before.

Source?

ivysaur12

Banned
The game is amazing. Absolutely deserved it.

We don't see digital sales, do we? I'd be interested to see the bumps for Pikmin 3 and co.

E-Cat

If that was the case Id imagine other first party Wii U games would have had stronger first week sales instead of only being a fraction of this. I agree we'll have to wait and see how this does in the long run, though I imagine this game will have some strong legs.

Or maybe it's because the game had nice production values, a non-niche addressable audience and was not deemed a disappointment?

I know many people dig SM3DW, but for me personally, it's not what I expect from a mainline Mario game

Mesoian

I mean, the game is still plenty random. There's juts a lot of new elements added in that place emphasis on good driving instead of just getting red shells and sloppily boosting.

But yo, for real, red shells still fuck up everyone's day.

Polygon being vindictive and petty the way they're always accusing their critics of being? What a surprise.

You would think they would seize than chance to talk about how they and pretty much the whole world was wrong about their sales predictions for MK8.

Why is this game selling better?
Is this the turnaround that Nintendo has been hoping for?
Does this signal more buy 1 get 1 deals in the future?

Lots of questions to ask and discuss.

For some reason they are having none of it.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
Well deserved! Gonna repost my GIF as much as possible in support.

e8qQJOc.gif

Can't wait til next month when I go back to the TF versus MK8 thread and LOL... guess I already could with all of the "200k" and "500k" life time responses.

zma1013

If there's one thing I know about the world, it's that you can walk into just about any male 20's something college dorm room or apartment and see Mario Kart playing right along side of games like Call of Duty and Halo. Big hit at drunken parties too. Games are just fun.

Kuno

I finally bought my Wii U last Friday for this game. I don't regret it a bit, the game is awesome. The online play is great and the wait time between matches is pretty minimal.

I've been playing my free copy of Wind Waker HD quite a bit as well, what a deal.

beta_fuse

This is great news and honestly made my day. It's nice to see a flagship game do so well on a struggling console especially when it's obvious that Nintendo put quality over quantity. I'm sure it had a lot to do with timing constraints but that's why hopefully we see them pour out future DLC to fix some of that. Cmon Nintendo give us a great E3 and ride this wave :)

Top Bottom