• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 Sells More Than 1.2 Million Units Worldwide Over First Weekend

Not really impressive numbers imo, but considering MK is a leggy title as it gets, this may help the Wii U mantain and edge over X1.

KHlover

Banned
My girlfriend bought this game...

...for the Wii U she doesn't even have yet.

Mario Kart is that strong to people...if they can get more people playing this game and get more people to see it/know about it/understand that it's crazy anti-gravity HD Mario Kart, they could probably push Wii U just a little bit with it.

Some guy I met while hunting for an early copy of the game did the same. Bought the game for a console he didn't even have yet. He wanted to play it with a friend first before buying the WiiU. I bet he DOES own a WiiU now.

blabla anecdotal evidence, but I'm pretty sure MK8 did shift quite some systems. Now we only have to see if it lasts.

You would think they would seize than chance to talk about how they and pretty much the whole world was wrong about their sales predictions for MK8.

Why is this game selling better?
Is this the turnaround that Nintendo has been hoping for?
Does this signal more buy 1 get 1 deals in the future?

Lots of questions to ask and discuss.

For some reason they are having none of it.

That would require being evenhanded and coolheaded in their analysis of different issues. Something I don't have much faith in when I see shit like this.

I highly doubt that. I don't think SSB is nearly as big and mainstream a franchise as MK.

2001 GameCube Super Smash Bros. Melee 7.09 million
2003 GameCube Mario Kart: Double Dash 6.95 million

I honestly do not see why Smash 4 couldn't push the Wii U as well. Granted I think the 3DS version will hurt the sales, but what can you do?

rawktapus

Well deserved! Gonna repost my GIF as much as possible in support.

e8qQJOc.gif

You come at the king, you best not miss.

Daschysta

Could this break 2 million first week if it did 1.2 million in the first 2 days. Word of mouth regarding this game is highly positive and the social media sharing could produce some sales via viral marketing.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
So deserved to finally see actually great games sell what they deserve. Now lets hope this really is the start of some decent momentum for Nintendo!

I wonder if this means that future games are going to get a similar promotion to Mario Kart, giving away lower selling games seems like a great idea to bump the new games' sales.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
mario_kart_overlapping_line_chart.jpg

I'm afraid it's over now, guys.
So, according to polygon, the world ends in approximately.. *quickly does math on fingers* shit, it must have ended on Monday!

Hold me gaf, I'm in the afterlife!

I think Wii U's problem all along is that there has not been a game worth investing in the system until this year. Other systems like the One and PS4 can sell units based on hype alone. Wii U was different in that many people felt disappointed after Wii catered to a casual audience. Nintendo is slowly winning back the hardcore audience, but they have a ways to go before getting 20 million units sold.

Good start, considering the Wii U's install base. I'm skeptical it will have legs though. This game needs to sell millions of Wii U's though... That's what matters most.

jmizzal

I honestly do not see why Smash 4 couldn't push the Wii U as well. Granted I think the 3DS version will hurt the sales, but what can you do?

And Smash Bros will launch in the Holiday season with more people having WiiU's, Smash will do better early, long term prob Mario Kart 8

Busaiku

That was before Mario Kart exploded on Wii and DS.
I doubt Super Smash Bros on 3DS or Wii U will match up to Mario Kart 7/8.

cacildo

If you dont have a WiiU yet, not only you are missing on MK8 but also on the great games that came out for it during the whole year and half that you kept saying "the wiiu has no games"

Like Wind Waker, Mario 3d world, Pikmin 3, Lego Undercover, ZombiU, Mario+Luigi, VC games, Eshop Games, etc

And i do have a feeling that Nintendo will really be the star of the show this E3. So in my opinion if you like videogames you should buy a WiiU NOW

So, according to polygon, the world ends in approximately.. *quickly does math on fingers* shit, it must have ended on Monday!

Hold me gaf, I'm in the afterlife!

How? You're a ghost now.

Also, if I'm in hell right now, Satan really needs to step his shit up. Work is more torturous than this.

m0t0k1

The best thing about this announcement is that MK8 pulled in these kind of sales even though it re-balanced items, tracks, and characters. MK Wii and Brawl punished competitive players with mandatory random elements, but MK8 made a lot of changes so that beginners can still have fun without punishing better players for racing well. Some have claimed that those random elements are needed to reach a wider audience, but this news suggests otherwise.

Crazy MK wii is the most competetive MK game there is. After playing MK8 for a couple of hours i don't think it will touch that or ds but i still need to play more to better understand the game.

Guevara

This doesn't mean much: If you own a Wii U and you don't buy Mario Kart 8 what exactly are you doing with your life?

BY2K

Membero Americo
Not really impressive numbers imo, but considering MK is a leggy title as it gets, this may help the Wii U mantain and edge over X1.

1.2 Million in 3 days for a console with a userbase of about 6 million is not impressive?

That was before Mario Kart exploded on Wii and DS.
I doubt Super Smash Bros on 3DS or Wii U will match up to Mario Kart 7/8.

Probably right, still though Brawl sold 8 million units. I think Smash 4 will help the Wii U sales, but Mario Kart 8 will be the best selling out of the two franchises. To say Brawl will not help the Wii U I think is silly.

Having one strong selling game doesn't mean the system is "saved". We have no idea how the sales affected HW which is still the biggest issue.

Sure, but this definitely feels like the start of a turnaround.

Also my friend bought a wii u at launch but has kept it in the closet since then. This is the first game he's buying for it since Nov 2012. Even if hardware sales don't explode, it's still increasing the amount of active users.

RagnarokX

Really well deserved. I hope this sells a lot of consoles because Nintendo has really been hitting it out of the park with their games and I want to see them continue to thrive.

lol that polygon article.
iMX0hlpacYwYP.gif

I think one of the big pushes for it was arguably the aggressive marketing campaign. I don't watch all that much TV during the week, but the times I did I saw quite a few ads for MK.

I mentioned in the other thread that going to see Maleficent over the weekend I got to the theater early and saw not just one ad, not two, but THREE Nintendo game ads before the movie trailers started. (MK8, Tomodachi Life and Kirby Triple Deluxe)

I'm very curious to see how Tomodachi Life ends up doing. They've been really promoting that game, and the overly quirky trailers and stuff for it indicates to me they have a lot of hope in it.

Top Bottom