• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 - Switch vs Wii U comparison

HCgamer

Thank you nintendo is doing it with legend of zelda breath of the wild wii u owners can buy the dlc packs for that game same as switch owners yet mario kart 8 is a new game? I am not asking for anything free either I was there day one when mario kart 8 was released I was there day one when the dlc packs were made available I paid full price for wii u zelda breath of the wild on day one and I will pay for the dlc. if Nintendo makes the deluxe battle mode and characters available to mk 8 wii u owners $15 dlc pack I will buy it I am not ready to buy a new console yet my finances and lack of new compelling software on switch at this time mk 8 deluxe is not a reason for me to buy a new console perhaps splatoon 2 or mario odyssey will do it.

Why would you even make that statement when he repeatedly said that there is nothing wrong with the $60 MSRP in shops? Which is exactly what his first sentence, about people not actually reading the comments, referred to? How would Wii U DLC including the Deluxe content, or a discount for Wii U owners (the two options people actually keep bringing up, not a reduced MSRP) in any way affect "people who didn't own a Wii U"? Just, how?

What a strange comparison. DVDs have no way to be upgraded to BRs. There are no patches for BRs. There is no DLC sold for BRs.

There has been, on the other hand, paid DLC and free patches for Wii U Games, including Mario Kart 8 on Wii U. What exactly screams of a massive sense of entitlement if I'm asking for a 15€ DLC package on Wii U? Heck, I'm not even asking for a Switch upgrade! I don't want anything for free just because I bought something else before! All I see people asking for is an OPTION to get the remaining 10% of content they are missing out on for a fair price. I don't care if they do an upgrade programme at reduded prices (which would be nice of them, but not necessary) or just plain paid Wii U DLC. I just want the extra content, not the complete game on a different platform, for a fair price, which isn't 60€. The Deluxe version itself is OF COURSE worth 60€, that's not what I'm saying.

Famassu

Looks good. In a few years going from this being a console game to a handheld game is amazing.
Well, to be fair, Wii U was closer to the now 10+ year old PS3s & Xbox 360s at the time of launch, so it's not a big surprise that a few years from Wii U's launch (when Wii U was already a relatively underpowered console), we'd have handhelds capable of roughly the same.

Still, Mario Kart 8 is one heck of a beautiful game.

Did that just happen? Mess.

Are you kidding me? If someone doesn't know about Birdo, that makes sense... they're a video game character. Stop trying to make drama.

So someone who doesn't know about Birdo would inherently look at a pink dinosaur wearing a pink bow and think "that's a dude"

That's, uh, some pretty great gymnastics you're doing to justify using the wrong pronoun. The only way you could gender Birdo male is if you knew the character.

slit

Misgendering is transphobia, and Birdo has never been a man.

That said, what was I going to reply to? An allegation that I oppose all DLC that if I asked you to ensure that your next reply showed the exact quotation where I criticize DLC as a concept would never exist?

Misgendering is a mistake not phobia, I don't study Birdo lore. You said Mario Kart's content in the DLC should have been there to begin with. I don't know which content you are talking about and which you are not.

HCgamer

As I said before I have spent countless hours playing mk8 wii u unlocking everything attempting three star all courses every circuit if I were to buy switch mk 8 deluxe I have no intention of spending the time necessary to unlock everything three star all the courses every circuit again give me access to the battle mode new characters on wii u where my saved game is.

Misgendering is a mistake not phobia, I don't study Birdo lore. You said Mario Kart's content in the DLC should have been there to begin with. I don't know which content you are talking about and which you are not.

I'm confused. Birdo is explicitly a feminine character, the only way you could think Birdo was a guy was if you actually did know who Birdo was.

Given that I have been talking about Battle Mode exclusively in this subject, I think the proper assumption is that I'm talking about that.

Sorry, but Birdo is a video game character. This is not a person we are talking about. Don't make transphobia into a joke by calling out someone on Birdo when it was a mistake.

It is entirely possible to express bigoted viewpoints onto a fictional character. Now whether the person made the mistake that the diamond ring, makeup, pink skin, and red bow meant male is up for debate, but on the subject of whether a person can act bigoted wrt a fictional character, they absolutely can.

jaxpunk

So someone who doesn't know about Birdo would inherently look at a pink dinosaur wearing a pink bow and think "that's a dude"

That's, uh, some pretty great gymnastics you're doing to justify using the wrong pronoun. The only way you could gender Birdo male is if you knew the character.

Weird, I was thinking the mental gymnastics was your flip out over what is likely a mistake.

Xenoblade

I've been so disappointed in every Mario Kart game after MKDS. They've all been dumbed down so that everyone can win a race regardless of skill. Not buying this I'm afraid.

Weird, I was thinking the mental gymnastics was your flip out over what is likely a mistake.

I guess I'd ask what about Birdo suggests male, and why it is more likely that the person mistakenly used male pronouns to describe a pink character with feminine features rather than the more common prevalence of people who consider Birdo to be male.

slit

I'm confused. Birdo is explicitly a feminine character, the only way you could think Birdo was a guy was if you actually did know who Birdo was.

Given that I have been talking about Battle Mode exclusively in this subject, I think the proper assumption is that I'm talking about that.

Why? A guy can't have pink skin and a bow? Now who is gender stereotyping?

But GTAV does what I consider a fairly reasonable amount and frequency of sales, and yet you can still enjoy GTAV without microtransactions or online or DLC or any of the things you mentioned. I think you might be overstating the impact of price drops.

One thing that GTAV didn't do is release for less than $60 when it was ported to PS4/Xbox One, though.

It's also making hundreds of millions of dollars from its online transactions, which is telling me that there's lots of missed value from not spending money in the online mode.

When we bought MK8 we knew they were going to be adding to it through updates and DLC as was necessary since it was lacking for a title in the MK franchise.

Now it seems to be finally complete, just not on wiiu.

I don't think releasing a complete edition on Switch lowers the value of the game. I think the fact that they released it at full price sustains the value of the game, especially since it's releasing to an audience that seems to be much hungrier for good content and willing to pay a premium for it.

Why? A guy can't have pink skin and a bow? Now who is gender stereotyping?

I like the table-turning attempt, but it's not a great one. Pink skin, a bow, feminine eyelashes, makeup, and jewelry are stereotypical of women. Your argument would have weight if, say, you had used gender neutral pronouns, but I'm just not sure what exactly caused you to assume male, and in fact, you haven't really answered that.

I like the table-turning attempt, but it's not a great one. Pink skin, a bow, feminine eyelashes, makeup, and jewelry are stereotypical of women. Your argument would have weight if, say, you had used gender neutral pronouns, but I'm just not sure what exactly caused you to assume male, and in fact, you haven't really answered that.

Lets move on. You're being ridiculous and you have no ground to try and point the finger at what was a simple mistake. I'm not transgender, I'm a gay male, but nothing I saw even jumped out at me as being offensive.

Lets move on. You're being ridiculous and you have no ground to try and point the finger at what was a simple mistake. I'm not transgender, I'm a gay male, but nothing I saw even jumped out at me as being offensive.

Again, I'm just asking what the basis for assuming male was with Birdo. It's apparently a very difficult question.

With that said, going back to his other point, slit, your entire conceit seems to be based around the fact that you didn't understand that I was only talking about Battle Mode, so really this discussion is moot.

slit

I didn't answer it because I don't know why. I didn't even think Birdo had a defined sex. You would think I would say her because of Birdo's attributes but I didn't. I said him. That proves I'm way more open minded than you when it comes to defining gender roles.

Revven

Thank you nintendo is doing it with legend of zelda breath of the wild wii u owners can buy the dlc packs for that game same as switch owners yet mario kart 8 is a new game? I am not asking for anything free either I was there day one when mario kart 8 was released I was there day one when the dlc packs were made available I paid full price for wii u zelda breath of the wild on day one and I will pay for the dlc. if Nintendo makes the deluxe battle mode and characters available to mk 8 wii u owners $15 dlc pack I will buy it.

That's not the same thing. BotW is a brand new game launched on both systems at the same time. If MK8 was launched both on the Switch and Wii U at the same time, then yes, they would have any DLC that game had launch on both systems. But because MK8 already exists on the Wii U and it has sold as much as it can to its install base on the Wii U, Nintendo is not going to release the battle mode as DLC for that version of the game. The profits they could make from such would be markedly lower than what they made on the DLC they released in 2015 because the player base for that version of the game has (very likely) decreased exponentially in the three years the game has been out. Meaning even less people to sell the DLC to, meaning it's not worth Nintendo's time or money to budget the battle mode content from MK8DX to be DLC for the Wii U version.

It's not the same comparison.

I didn't answer it because I don't know. I didn't even think Birdo had a defined sex. You would think I would say her because of Birdo's attributes but I didn't. I said him. That proves I'm way more open minded than you when it comes to defining gender roles.

You'd be surprised how often I hear that as a justification for misgendering :p

I just hope you don't do that in real life, so long as you do that, s'all g ood.

Skyzard

Banned
I don't think releasing a complete edition on Switch lowers the value of the game. I think the fact that they released it at full price sustains the value of the game, especially since it's releasing to an audience that seems to be much hungrier for good content and willing to pay a premium for it.

Lacking a battlemode sucks. And I've never said the game shouldn't be priced full. That's a great package for people who don't have the original. All I'm saying is, you want me to pay about £400 to finally get battlemode on mk? Be reasonable, I already bought a WiiU.

Besides, the game already looks great on the gamepad, and I like playing it that way as I'm a fan of handhelds. Switch looks nice but I'm not convinced yet. At least show some good will considering the wiiu's situation and what little it would actually be - it would pay itself.

It's just backwards otherwise. Everyone is aiming towards getting more time from your games, lasting multiple console iterations, games as a service. And here I am having to pay a butt-load for a little bit of a dlc to a relatively short-lived console.

It's disappointing and unimpressive.

Again, I'm just asking what the basis for assuming male was with Birdo. It's apparently a very difficult question.

With that said, going back to his other point, slit, your entire conceit seems to be based around the fact that you didn't understand that I was only talking about Battle Mode, so really this discussion is moot.

To be fair...

The manual for Super Mario Bros. 2 originally asserts that Birdo is a boy who "thinks he is a girl" (i.e. transgender), and would rather be referred to as "Birdetta".

To be fair...

I get that, but I'd ascribe that more to it being the 80's, where it once was more acceptable to use pronouns inappropriately for trans people. I mean heck, "thinks he is a girl" is transphobic language in and of itself, it really gives echoes of what you see and hear from people who are actually anti-trans today

Birdo is overall kind of a bad trans character as well lol. Captain Rainbow's content is super awkward :v

HCgamer

Do you believe half of what you just said? It makes no sense for them to release a dlc pack including the deluxe battle mode and new characters for mk8 on wii u yet it makes sense for them to release a brand new zelda game on wii u really? Mario kart 8 deluxe is not a new game it is mario kart 8 with a improved battle mode and a few new characters these are things nintendo can easily offer to wii u owners as a dlc pack I will pay for it just like I paid for my wii u zelda breath of the wild like I will for it's dlc.

That's not the same thing. BotW is a brand new game launched on both systems at the same time. If MK8 was launched both on the Switch and Wii U at the same time, then yes, they would have any DLC that game had launch on both systems. But because MK8 already exists on the Wii U and it has sold as much as it can to its install base on the Wii U, Nintendo is not going to release the battle mode as DLC for that version of the game. The profits they could make from such would be markedly lower than what they made on the DLC they released in 2015 because the player base for that version of the game has (very likely) decreased exponentially in the three years the game has been out. Meaning even less people to sell the DLC to, meaning it's not worth Nintendo's time or money to budget the battle mode content from MK8DX to be DLC for the Wii U version.

It's not the same comparison.

Mory Dunz

Are we really talking about this now? Birdo? Is this what happens when a thread gets too long? Lmao.

and this is what happens when the discussion is senseless to begin with.

Splatoon being a port was shut down.
Hopefully this not-$60 nonsense, because that's what it is, will be too.

and this is what happens when the discussion is senseless to begin with.

Splatoon being a port was shut down.
Hopefully this not-$60 nonsense, because that's what it is, will be too.

"Nonsense" means something more than "opinion I don't like."

People have given valid reasons why it shouldn't be $60. People have given valid reasons why it should be $60. I would rightfully be admonished if I called people mouth-breathing fanboys and fangirls for supporting a $60 price point, why is it acceptable to dismiss people who do not as entitled or crybabies?

Famassu

Listen, I'm with you that words matter and people should be especially careful with him/her stuff in regards to transgender people.

But English is an especially easy language to occasionally accidentally write he/him even when it should be she/her without much though. Especially on the Interwebz a lot of the time he/him is kind of a default that people just use when people aren't necessarily giving much thought to gender-stuff, probably even more easy to do when just speaking about non-human creatures.

So chill a bit.

Listen, I'm with you that words matter and people should be especially careful with him/her stuff in regards to transgender people.

But English is an especially easy language to occasionally accidentally write he/him even when it should be she/her without much though. Especially on the Interwebz a lot of the time he/him is kind of a default that people just use when people aren't necessarily giving much thought to gender-stuff, probably even more easy to do when just speaking about non-human creatures.

So chill a bit.

Fair point

Vire

I really hope they bring Tropical Freeze and 3D World over as well. I never got to play these unless I was at a friends house and I'd love to play these games coop with my girlfriend.

Birdo is male.

Carry on.

Now THERE'S active transphobia lol

I really hope they bring Tropical Freeze and 3D World over as well. I never got to play these unless I was at a friends house and I'd love to play these games coop with my girlfriend.

I'd really like to see them not be restricted to the Wii U, yeah. Both are great games, and it'd be a shame if people didn't experience them.

Skyzard

Banned

And when Nintendo adds new worlds to those games, we'd let it go because hey we got battle...oh wait.

iBlue

Nintendo should give a discount to the ones who got it on Wii u digitally they have the account system so they know that I purchase the game. I am NOT paying full price for this again. Discount or no deal

Nintendo should give a discount to the ones who got it on Wii u digitally they have the account system so they know that I purchase the game. I am NOT paying full price for this again. Discount or no deal

I got a free game with MK8. Evens out if you ask me, but that's just my opinion.

r3ddvil

Why would your expectations be that Nintendo will put Mario Kart 8'S MSRP on Switch lower than the current MSRP on Wii U?

Other companies price ports lower because they perceive the market value for older games to be lower. This is exaggerated even more because the industry churn for sequels tends to be pretty fast these days.

Nintendo prices their games as evergreen products because they expect them to continue selling years after they release.

It's the same reason why Minecraft always has the same price every time it launches on a new console platform. And why Mojang/Microsoft doesn't care that you already bought it.

It's also the reason why Grand Theft Auto V is still $59.99 new, even after hopping consoles. And why Rockstar definitely doesn't care that you already bought it.

So they're not the only company allowed to price their ports at full price. They're just the one you're choosing to ream for it.

Your point with respect to R* charging full price is valid, but I feel this one is a bit different, because Nintendo is both the software developer and platform holder.

Charging full price for retail versions and first time digital buyers, is justified. However, those who have a digital copy attached to their accounts, should have a path to upgrade their library for a discount ($20-$30) on the new hardware, which would be both a goodwill gesture and an incentive to upgrade to the Switch hardware. The games development costs have no doubt already been recuperated . With respect to physical copy holders, they can already sell/trade in to achieve a discount.

This would also help build consumer confidence that buying digitally from Nintendo is a safe proposition.

Tad bit dissapointing we only got the 1 frame thing fixed and 1080p resolution. It's good, but nintendo definitely had enough power for some AA or other visual effects.. Perhaps even 60fps 3 and 4 players in docked mode. I would have taken 720p or dynamic resolution of 900p with 60fps for 3-4 players than 1080p and 30fps for 3-4 player split screen..

Tadaima

Came into this thread expecting some good comparison discussion, but found a 15 page off topic argument about how the game should be priced.

Where are the mods at..?

The analogy is fine. Your comprehension of it is wrong. Past bought "Hawaiian" pizzas are equivalent to previous iterations of Mario Kart. Those past Hawaiian pizzas came complete with pineapple. Pineapple is equivalent to battle arenas. Other types of pizzas would be other Nintendo IPs. The ham pizza is MK8 for Wii U and the pepperoni and sausage are the two DLCs. The special Hawaiian pizza that the customer gets which comes baked with all 4 toppings is MK8 Deluxe. The restaurant is Nintendo and the customer is a Switch owner that has MK8 Deluxe.

Nope, the analogy is still terrible because you fail to acknowledge the platform layer which is a significant barrier and difference. If you have to go down way into detail to justify it, it's further proof that the analogy is terrible.

Why would someone who paid $80 for the game and DLC pay an additional $60 for the Battle Mode? It isn't about being entitled to anything. It isn't about feeling Nintendo owes us. It's about there being next to no incentive for people who aren't Nintendo faithful to rebuy the game.

Because I can take it to work with me and myself and 7 coworkers can have MK8 tournaments on our lunch. Pretty fucking worth it to me.

And you can say 'well don't buy it'. And I won't. But I feel that is profit on the table for Nintendo, not to mention it's just shitty considering the people who bought the Wii U were already screwed over by it being killed off early and having shitty support. It would be a good thing PR wise for Nintendo to do, and several people have given examples of other companies who do this in the damn thread. It isn't unheard of.

What shitty support? It got updates and it got 2 DLC packs, what the fuck else do you want/expect? The game still plays fine, and plays online just fine. I don't see how it was killed off early.

I wonder if this game is going to get a lot of 10's. Now that they've added a proper battle mode and fixed the frame issue, plus the addition of dual items and steer-assist to make it more accessible to kids, I think this is definitively going to be the best Mario Kart. I see very little to criticize except maybe the price and lack of AA if that bothers you. Unless some unknown flaw rears its head in the next week, knowing how I feel about MK8, I think this is going to be a perfect game, at least in my eyes.

Tad bit dissapointing we only got the 1 frame thing fixed and 1080p resolution. It's good, but nintendo definitely had enough power for some AA or other visual effects.. Perhaps even 60fps 3 and 4 players in docked mode. I would have taken 720p or dynamic resolution of 900p with 60fps for 3-4 players than 1080p and 30fps for 3-4 player split screen..

Did they?

I mean, you can't expect the same refinements in a port. That's a pretty huge upgrade right there. Handheld mode runs as well as the Wii U version did in most modes, and better in single player.

We'll see what happens with MK9 I guess, but I'm sure there's a reason why some games are seeing a larger boost than others.

Is everything unlocked from the start for this? I'm not sure if I want to go through and unlock everything a second time after playing through the wii u version

Nerrel

They owe you a battle mode? You understand how utterly stupid that sounds right lol?

And it isn't the same game. It's the same game + all DLC + new mechanic + new characters + battle mode + resolution boost.

Now you are free to put whatever value you want on that, Nintendo feels it warrants full price, but to say it's "basically the same game" (while amusingly listing some of the changes I might add) is pretty silly.

Forgive me. I was wrong to assume that the battle mode that's been a major component of every console Mariokart for 20 years was a reasonable expectation of MK8. The substitute battle mode using recycled race maps was totally fun and not a shitty, rushed attempt to just barely meet fan expectations by making it seem like the game still included battle mode even though it really didn't. Nintendo has graced us with a new battle mode that works just as it did in every other release for the low low price of $60, and we should be forever grateful just for the chance to buy it.

I like Nintendo a lot, but they have to work a little bit for my purchases. You wrote "new mechanic" as a singular, and that's about right. There are a few nice but small tweaks that the game worked fine without. I don't care about the couple of new characters they introduced, and even if there were 100 new drivers no amount of character options would go anywhere near making $60 remotely reasonable. I already had all the DLC, so that offers nothing new to me. So- for me, a Wii U owner who's already seen everything- it's just paying full price to get 1080p (which I could get in CEMU for free along with even better enhancements like AA and AF) and the battle mode that rightfully should have been there in the first place. And again, I'll shortly have to pay to play it online on top of that.

There's just no fucking way. Nintendo has sold full, brand new games for less- Tropical Freeze was only $50. WWHD- a pretty involved HD remaster- was also $50. Nintendo isn't being considerate of the people who already bought this on Wii U at all- they know they can sell it at full price to new Switch customers unfamiliar with the game, so they are. It might be a good value to those who never bought the game before, but that doesn't mean that the game didn't already release 3 years ago with 85% of the same content. They could have shown some recognition of those who supported them on Wii U and given a digital discount if we bought it already to make the upgrade easier, but they didn't, so I'm not upgrading. I'll just play the Wii U version and save $60. Is this an unreasonable opinion? Am I missing something?

Roo

Is everything unlocked from the start for this? I'm not sure if I want to go through and unlock everything a second time after playing through the wii u version

All characters (except Gold Mario) and cup/tracks are unlocked from the start.
The only thing still locked are vehicle parts which you'll have to unlock by collecting coins.

All characters (except Gold Mario) and cup/tracks are unlocked from the start.
The only thing still locked are vehicle parts which you'll have to unlock by collecting coins.

Oh that's good to hear. Didn't want to unlock the characters again.

Also count me in the camp of feeling okay to pay Nintendo again for MK8 Deluxe. I'm trading in my Wii U copy to Amazon for around $25 so coupled with the 20% off for pre-ordering it, it's around $25 to upgrade to the Switch version which I'm fine with.

Top Bottom