• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart | Community Thread | *Insert Profanities Here*

NR1

I haven't paid MK8 in quite some time, but when I put the disc in today, it kept freezing on the load screen... I did a Google search and this appears to be an issue that has been around for at least the last 18 months, but I can not find a definitive answer to fix this or the cause... Help?

All other games load and play fine. This is confined to Mario Kart 8 only. Thanks

Roo

I haven't paid MK8 in quite some time, but when I put the disc in today, it kept freezing on the load screen... I did a Google search and this appears to be an issue that has been around for at least the last 18 months, but I can not find a definitive answer to fix this or the cause... Help?

All other games load and play fine. This is confined to Mario Kart 8 only. Thanks

I don't remember ever hearing about this problem.
If it only affects Mario Kart 8 then I'd suggest you to check your disc to find any potential sign of disc rot and/or to see if it's dirty or have fingerprints on it.
If it's the former then sadly your SOL but if it's the latter then you know what to do.

NR1

I don't remember ever hearing about this problem.
If it only affects Mario Kart 8 then I'd suggest you to check your disc to find any potential sign of disc rot and/or to see if it's dirty or have fingerprints on it.
If it's the former then sadly your SOL but if it's the latter then you know what to do.

Held the disc up to the light and I can see at least 3 pin holes of light near the inner ring of the disc... Looks like disc rot... No discoloration though.

Roo

Held the disc up to the light and I can see at least 3 pin holes of light near the inner ring of the disc... Looks like disc rot... No discoloration though.
Sorry to hear that =/
Someone made a thread about the same issue on his Xenoblade Chronicles X copy a few weeks ago. It was brand new so it seems like Wii U discs are more prone to this problem for some reason.

ayyyy B-)

I can't seem to get any better ;(

I can improve my VR, but I still feel like I'm not any better

what's the "demon hopping" thing all about?

I watch the videos but I can't quite get the gist of it

Luigi_Fan2

Neo Member
ayyyy B-)

I can't seem to get any better ;(

I can improve my VR, but I still feel like I'm not any better

what's the "demon hopping" thing all about?

I watch the videos but I can't quite get the gist of it
Fire hopping is hopping left or right while you have a boost. Increases your speed for some reason. (Doesn't work with drafts, but any other boost works. Even invincibility stars.) If you're playing 150cc, you should try to learn this fairly early on.

Demon slides are doing hops without pressing left or right at the start and ending those hops with drifts. They're used to keep increased speed (mainly from fire hopping). They also make you go faster in a few downhill areas. They can be pretty difficult to learn, but they're useful if you're willing to put the time in.

Should note that fire hops don't increase your speed on 200cc (as far as I can tell) and demon slides are a lot less useful there as a result. Both techniques aren't really necessary for the mode. For improving, mainly focus on taking turns tightly without making mistakes, item management, and checking items with the item spy and reacting. Would also be really good to learn softdrifting if you haven't already. Outside of that, it's pretty much just learning the tracks.

Could explain stuff more if you want. :)

Fire hopping is hopping left or right while you have a boost. Increases your speed for some reason. (Doesn't work with drafts, but any other boost works. Even invincibility stars.) If you're playing 150cc, you should try to learn this fairly early on.

Demon slides are doing hops without pressing left or right at the start and ending those hops with drifts. They're used to keep increased speed (mainly from fire hopping). They also make you go faster in a few downhill areas. They can be pretty difficult to learn, but they're useful if you're willing to put the time in.

Should note that fire hops don't increase your speed on 200cc (as far as I can tell) and demon slides are a lot less useful there as a result. Both techniques aren't really necessary for the mode. For improving, mainly focus on taking turns tightly without making mistakes, item management, and checking items with the item spy and reacting. Would also be really good to learn softdrifting if you haven't already. Outside of that, it's pretty much just learning the tracks.

Could explain stuff more if you want. :)

I feel like I do "demonhopping" by accident sometimes.. I enjoy drifting around sometimes, though I don't notice the difference

I can do the firehop with no problem

still can't do 200cc because it makes my stomach hurt =3

I guess it's not a big deal - I just can't seem to understand the demonhop no matter how many times I look at any videos on it

Burning Justice

the superior princess
Here's last night's races from my end:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TaBOjNN6GQw

bulletevjoz.gif

the best

Bernbaum

Hello. Just finished 3-starring everything up to 150cc and Mirror, DLC included.

What's the deal with 200cc? Is it a different game at this point? Hard much?

I got most of the 150cc/Mirror trophies with Dry Bowser/Rattler/Mini-Rollers.

Burning Justice

the superior princess
Hello. Just finished 3-starring everything up to 150cc and Mirror, DLC included.

What's the deal with 200cc? Is it a different game at this point? Hard much?

I got most of the 150cc/Mirror trophies with Dry Bowser/Rattler/Mini-Rollers.

It definitely can feel that way. It took me--and everyone else here--a couple days to get used to the speed.

I would recommend using a build with better handling than that when you first start on 200cc. Once you get used to that, you can bump up the speed some. You'll also need to get used to braking while drifting to make tighter turns.

I actually think the AI is easier on 200cc than it is on 150cc, so once you get used to the speed I don't think you'll have too much of a problem.

Soooo... summer is at the end. Cold weather is coming back... what does that mean? More video games!

So I'm trying to get a frantic room going tonight at 10pm EST. Look up the code on first post of the thread and feel free to join us on Discord as well!

Hope to see some of you tonight! Let's go!

Burning Justice

the superior princess
Well, it's working now for sure.

Is it? I've been using the PC client, and it's stuck on "Checking for updates". And I tried accessing it from my phone, both using my Wi-Fi connection and a 4G connection, and neither worked. And their website is giving me a 502 error.

If it's just me, then I have no idea what's going on.

EDIT: Wait, I was able to get on with my phone this time. Weird...

EDIT 2: OK, seems to be working again now.

Firebrand

Vroom... slowly building hype for MK8 Deluxe, I never played MK8. I even started MK7, which I fairly recently thought was garbage, and well, I've come around on it. It's alright!

Anyhow, I was gonna ask, how's the wheel as an input in MKwii and MK8, just a gimmick or good enough? Reason is I'm looking at getting some Joycon grips as I don't have the spare funds for an extra pad, and I'm eyeing those mini-wheels that come in a double pack.

Roo

Vroom... slowly building hype for MK8 Deluxe, I never played MK8. I even started MK7, which I fairly recently thought was garbage, and well, I've come around on it. It's alright!

Anyhow, I was gonna ask, how's the wheel as an input in MKwii and MK8, just a gimmick or good enough? Reason is I'm looking at getting some Joycon grips as I don't have the spare funds for an extra pad, and I'm eyeing those mini-wheels that come in a double pack.

I have only tried the motion controls a few times in both games but they're good. Precise and responsive.

In Mario Kart 8's case, in fact, motion controls have a huge advantage over the rest of the controls; max traction (which is incredibly useful since some tracks are extremely slippery and heavy weight characters have the lowest in the game.

You'll have fun with them so yeah, get those wheels.

As a side note, you can turn on Smart Steering which will help you stay on track while you learn how to use the motion controls. That way you'll stay competitive while learning the basics in the process.

edit; just noticed it's the first time in over a year I post here yay
Dem feels ;(

jonno394

I just found out that all characters and tracks are already unlocked in Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. Rather disappointed with this as i've never played the game before, and half the reason i'd be playing is for single player mode to unlock stuff.

I can understand why they're doing this, as millions have already been through the hassle of unlocking, but if the idea is they're selling it to new buyers they're taking out most of the incentive to play anything outside of multiplayer.

Top Bottom