• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe |OT| Deluxe Salt

When some heaux gets all up in your slipstream....

Q3nS1sn.gif

I wish I could reset my score back to 0. I'm getting matched with people way out of my skill level, just because I've played a lot and accumulated 3k+ points.

This is like Overwatch all over again. :(

Zakalwe

Banned
So, I bought this game on a whim when I remembered I had games to trade in and a bunch of credit with CeX. Felt a bit anxious about the purchase for a bit as I hadn't played a MK in a while and thought maybe the SP stuff wouldn't be that engaging. I also thought it would feel unfair with the

Turns out there was no need to be anxious at all. The SP is fantastic. Currently working through 150cc to get all 3 stars. Using Shy Guy and a balanced build while I learn and the difficulty feels just right. Sure, there are times when you get smacked about for a few seconds by a combination of "unfair" powers, but if you're handling the tracks well enough the lead you have is almost always enough to push through it.

(Of course, sometimes you get combo'd a few meters from the finish line etc... that can be pretty rough).

I'll get online eventually once I've mastered the tracks, 200cc, and the heavier classes. I played a few games and Dry Bowser seems to dominate if a player can run the track perfectly.

Lots of challenge/fun here, it's a really great game.

Going into hospital tomorrow and I'll be taking it with me. Might be able to cheer myself and some others up with some local MP!

Brofield

I'm not 100% but I belive they're capping player count due to controller signal interference.

The maximum number of Switches that can be connected is 8, but the maximum player count is 12. Yes, you can have 6 Switches connected with 2 players on each one.

Hmm...conflicting reports, but I'm gonna hope Burning Justice is right on this one (though I wouldn't be surprised if Firebrand's reasoning is correct)

Roo

Hmm...conflicting reports, but I'm gonna hope Burning Justice is right on this one (though I wouldn't be surprised if Firebrand's reasoning is correct)
The signal interference comes when several controller schemes try to connect to a single device. That's totally unrelated to local wireless.

Every Switch supports up to 2 players for local wireless and up to 8 Switches can connect to each other. You can have a 12 player local wireless lobby if you connect 6 Switches with 2 players each. Justice is right here.

Burning Justice

the superior princess
Just got the game!!! It's awesome!!! How do I play with GAF?

GAF rooms aren't really active much at all anymore, unfortunately. I suggest either chacking this thread or checking the KartGAF Discord server to see when people are playing, but that isn't too often.

Mediking

Quote the OP to see the tournaments

GAF rooms aren't really active much at all anymore, unfortunately. I suggest either chacking this thread or checking the KartGAF Discord server to see when people are playing, but that isn't too often.

I tried the GAF rooms numerous of times. Nobody was there. Jumped in regular online. Got in races almost immediately. Lol

The game really shines in online mode.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
I finally finished 3 starring everything at the weekend. Some tracks in particular were breaking me on 200cc and on the occasion I'd do it I'd then get shafted on a track later in the GP. Seemed to just hit a stride though and knocked out the 5 GPs I had left to finish on Saturday in about an hour.

Finally been able to do some online and get back to Zelda before ARMS

I have a lot of people from KartGAF added on Switch, so what I usually do is check my friends list and join someone that I see playing online. Sometimes it'll be just the two of us the entire time (with randoms), and sometimes other GAFers will notice and join us. We've taken over a room once or twice. If nothing else, then there will at least be one familiar face there!

Here's my FC if anyone wants to add me: 6789-8593-4966 (Felix)

Mediking

Even though I played this on Wii U... I gotta admit... this game really feels good on Switch.

I just had a nice bonding moment with my little sister. She really likes this game and is pretty impressed with the Switch. :)

I've been having horrible connection issues this evening. I had 2 races a bit earlier but now it continually kicks me out.

I hope the online for this is fixable and becomes at least as stable as the Wii U version.

Rafavert

Hey, folks. Small doubt I can't find concrete information about:

Me and a co-work both got Switches. Can we play four people (using single joycons) split between the two switches? I can't understand if that's possible or not (or how it's done exactly).

TheMoon

Hey, folks. Small doubt I can't find concrete information about:

Me and a co-work both got Switches. Can we play four people (using single joycons) split between the two switches? I can't understand if that's possible or not (or how it's done exactly).

OP tells you almost all you need to know there pretty much. Has pretty handy overviews.

In short: yes.

TZchassis

Guys what do you think of waiting when you join a lobby online? I think it's absurd that I have to wait for 3 mins spectating a match, then other few mins to pick a stage. Too much time waiting and I keep closing it (since I usually play on the go and don't have that much time anyway) especially after the amazing online lobbies of ARMS. I really really hope that they enhance it in some manner.

Not

Banned
Haven't played a Kart game since DS!

There was a lot of new shit to get used to. But I've got all the 3 star golds in 50cc and 100cc and just got one for the 150cc Mushroom cup. I dig doing tricks to go faster! And flying over people and using the purple drift feels so good.

Tried 200cc one time with my wife on the Airport stage. Was not ready, aha.

EDIT: Favorite character is Inkling Girl so far, but I've been trying out Link, King Boo, and Lemmy on occasion

Guys what do you think of waiting when you join a lobby online? I think it's absurd that I have to wait for 3 mins spectating a match, then other few mins to pick a stage. Too much time waiting and I keep closing it (since I usually play on the go and don't have that much time anyway) especially after the amazing online lobbies of ARMS. I really really hope that they enhance it in some manner.

There is nothing worse than spectating 3 laps and then getting a communication error.

I quit immediately when I see "1/3".

dont want to get hit with a communication error

TheMoon

Man, driving with bikes is tough.... any tips on drifting?

Nothing other than: get used to it.

There's really no trick to it.

Haven't played a Kart game since DS!
[...]
Tried 200cc one time with my wife on the Airport stage. Was not ready, aha.

Forget flying, stunts, and all the other crap.

What's gonna blow your mind here is that you have to USE THE BRAKE in 200cc. Yes, braking in Mario Kart.

Just 3 starred 150 and started now with the time trials... should have started with those, fuck! I'm learning so much by watching the ghost races! Although there's stuff that I don't know how they do it. Luke there's this guy that gets purple sparks super fast, he doesn't need to make very long turns to activate them. How??

Lol the game gave me a Bullet Bill in 4th place at the end of the race and plowed through the top 3 to get First. I can only count the times the game did something in my favor on one hand but man is it awesome when it happens.

TheMoon

Just 3 starred 150 and started now with the time trials... should have started with those, fuck! I'm learning so much by watching the ghost races! Although there's stuff that I don't know how they do it. Luke there's this guy that gets purple sparks super fast, he doesn't need to make very long turns to activate them. How??

What's he driving. Use the same exact parts. Time needed varies by driver.

Kinokou

Can we have multiple ghosts of the same person? I really want to see their new time and compare it to the previous one.

bart64

Banned
Man, driving with bikes is tough.... any tips on drifting?
Start your turn late. It will feel weird because normally you drift way before the turn and see where you're going, but you kind of have to go into the turn blind. There are a couple bikes that drift more like cars but I don't recall which.

Nice to see the impressions from new players, I wasn't sure this game would have the same impact a few years later.

Top Bottom