• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario + Rabbids Season Pass detailed (New story content, challenges, more)

Hmm, I could see myself picking this up if I end up liking the game. I'm a sucker for these type of games.

Do we know when the embargo drops?

Neiteio

They should go all-out and do something truly unexpected.

Waluigi + Rabbids... + BioShock

*screen slides over bathysphere; a dapper-looking Waluigi appears onscreen*

"I am Waluigi Ryan, and I'm here to ask you a question: Is a man not entitled to the wah of his bwah?"

Scrawnton

I'm okay with this game getting a season pass. I'll get the game next week and see if the value is good then get the season pass when new content drops.

mas8705

Honestly if there is one company that I trust with Season Pass, it is Nintendo. Mind you that this has Ubisoft written all over it, but at least a season pass of $20 is reasonable enough (and not trying to sell season passes at $30-40)

Going to hold off on it though before hand. I want to make sure I enjoy the game before investing any additional funds.

jrDev

Oh man, the hype... The hype!

cry-no-is-somone-looking-no-wtf_o_743567.gif
Like, what is going on in this gif?

Also, will wait for to see if I like the game that much to dig into the season pass.

Neiteio

So with Steiner (who has the game) pretty much saying it's awesome and packed full of content, I'm thoroughly hyped, and will probably get this season pass.

Seems the Switch isn't relaxing its grip on my gaming time. I'm still obsessed with Sonic Mania (so perfect for this portable), and Mario + Rabbids is this Tuesday, and then the next Splatoon 2 Splatfest is Labor Day Weekend, and then Lola Pop will lure me back to ARMS in September.

Like, what is going on in this gif?
The gentleman in the gif is excited for Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle, but is shackled by his hype restraining device

Jimm

I think the base game will have enough content for me. The only thing that could be great is the story expansion, but the extra bits and bobs I'm more than happy to live without.

MrBS

Nice to see post launch support. I was sure this would be a dump and run effort. Glad to be proven wrong.

Season passes are so business-centric that it feels like the content are purposefully designed around the schedule. It's basically like dangling carrots in front of consumers' faces to keep them coming back.

I know money has to be made but it feels so heartless

Yeah I feel the same way.

Yeah I feel the same way.

It can be but I don't think it always has to be. With the amount of love that has clearly been poured into this game, it wouldn't surprise me at all if the following happened (or has happened before for different games):

- Game is 5-6 months away from release

- Team comes up with a great story idea they'd like to include but would take an additional 4-6 months to implement, delaying the release considerably

- They are presented with 3 options

1) Delay the game (remember that it needs to go through testing and cert and production and shipping all that shit, so it wouldn't just doink the game back a couple weeks from original release, could be months)

2) Cut the idea and hope the game does well enough to be used in a sequel

3) Release it as DLC, but since it won't be done and ready to go until much after the game releases, pepper in smaller DLC in the meantime like additional weapons or battle maps to compensate/tide people over/keep the game in player's minds so they don't sell it before they can play/buy the DLC

There's no doubt in my mind that there are studios or games that specifically plan DLC and Season Passes far in advance, if not as a general rule "make X game and also design X number of DLC packs" but I dunno. That dude crying when they revealed the game got to me, thinking it's just shitty corporate greed feels too cynical for something like this. I could totally see a situation where he/his team came up with additional content ideas at too late a stage to put into the game so they asked if they could do DLC, and then since Ubisoft gonna Ubisoft they were like "Uh you don't even need to ask bruh".

joker3782

Neo Member
For the unexpected story content, as cool as it would be for it to be Waluigi related, I'm hoping this will involve Rayman in some way (hopefully in a playable way). When this game was originally leaked, I was more annoyed that they weren't crossing over Mario and Rayman, and instead chose the annoying Rabbids. Can't wait to see what this DLC is all about and I can't wait for the game to arrive at my house.

The whole exclusive weapons thing from the start is what I don't like too much. Couldn't they have just made those weapons available to us anyway and made this 17.99 or something? The weapons are already ready so should be in the game.

I wish stuff like this was only things they worked on after the game was released, or at least stuff that aren't ready yet.

Not a fan of this new style of Season Pass where there isn't even an option to buy the individual content separately. Normally a Season Pass is a discounted price gambled against the chance you won't like all the content; with this and Zelda's business model you just have to buy it all no matter what.

LordKano

Not a fan of this new style of Season Pass where there isn't even an option to buy the individual content separately. Normally a Season Pass is a discounted price gambled against the chance you won't like all the content; with this and Zelda's business model you just have to buy it all no matter what.

There's supposedly a way here though. Zelda didn't because it was labelled as expansion pass.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free

This isnt much different from Add-Ons we used to have on PC games for ages. When you bought Lord of Destruction you had to get the whole pack for 40 and couldnt pick the just the Assasin or Druid for 20 bucks.

Season passes are so business-centric that it feels like the content are purposefully designed around the schedule. It's basically like dangling carrots in front of consumers' faces to keep them coming back.

oti

Banned

Season Passes exist so people don't sell their copy on eBay or to Gamestop and hence flood the market with used games that drive the prices down.

Whether they're worth it or not depends on you and on the game. The Mario Kart 8 Season Pass added half a new Mario Kart game. It was great. Jury's still out on the Zelda Season Pass and this Mario XCOM is also a question mark for now.

If it wasn't for this they'd put loot boxes and other microtransactions into their games. I'd say a Season Pass is the besser option here. If you're willing to wait you could also get them at a discount down the line too.

Robin64

And given how I feel like nothing I got in part 1 of the Zelda Season Pass was worth it (it's the kind of QoL stuff that should just be patched in, and they support ARMs and Splatoon with more actual stuff for free) I won't be instantly dropping my money on this one now.

(Maybe the second part of the Pass will be amazing and worth that 20 dollars)

faridmon

I don't think I am getting the season pass untill I know for sure its worth it. Probably 1 year from now.

But I have pre-ordered the game. Can't wait!

Perfectly fine with this. They've taken a punt on something fresh and by all accounts it looks like a success. If it plays as good as everyone is expecting I'll be happy to pay for ongoing content.

Pending some good reviews on launch, I'll buy this straight away. I buy way fewer games than I used to, but I've found I play games a lot more than just the main story. For example I'm up to the end of Zelda, but I've held fire on completing it while I do anything else I can find.

This isnt much different from Add-Ons we used to have on PC games for ages. When you bought Lord of Destruction you had to get the whole pack for 40 and couldnt pick the just the Assasin or Druid for 20 bucks.

It's pretty different. You're talking about one big chunk of content that all releases at the same time. You can look at everything included in the purchase before you make up your mind. Season Passes are multiple smaller bits of DLC spaced out over a long period, usually with only vague descriptions at what might you get for your money down the road. "Pay now, we'll tell you what you're getting later." It's a shitty business practice, but at least you usually have the option of buying each bit of DLC piecemeal so you only buy what you know you want.

But imagine you only want to buy the Master Trials for BotW right now. You can't do it. You have to take a chance on buying the entire Season Pass, including the dumb Switch t-shirt from the first round of content that you might not want, and the upcoming story DLC that you don't know if you want because they haven't so much as shown a trailer for it. If you aren't willing to buy all the DLC, sight unseen, you don't get any. Or, of course, you wait months until all the content is out and only then make your decision, all the while having to resist the temptation to give in and buy the whole Season Pass to get the one bit of content you did want but couldn't get separately. It's predatory.

Season Pass looks identical to the Zelda BotW one. Throwaway freebies at launch for diehard fans, a not so substantial QoL DLC a few months later, and then a big story one much later.

Had the same thought that it is carbon copy in nature to BotW in that regard.

I already banked on the Zelda one, probably going full boar here as well.

Griss

Call me old-school but this news has made me wait for a sale on a game I was planning to buy day 1.

I'll see what reviews say about the amount of content and whether the story (such as it is being a Mario game) wraps up satisfactorily.

I don't see the point in buying this upfront, but will buy if I'm still interested in playing more once I finish the game and there are more details about the DLC. Don't see the big fuss personally and why people wouldn't play the base game because the DLC exists.

Call me old-school but this news has made me wait for a sale on a game I was planning to buy day 1.

I'll see what reviews say about the amount of content and whether the story (such as it is being a Mario game) wraps up satisfactorily.

DLC makes you not buy something yoy were pumped for day 1?

etrain911

I wish they would at least hint at what the story content is. I'll probably buy the game day 1 since the local co-op mode looks amazingly fun for an SRPG and the humor seems to extend beyond memeing.

oti

Banned
...like insanely broken street date ?

Think about it from a retailer's perspective. It's got Mario on the cover but it's not by Nintendo.

Mario on the cover = instant sales
Not by Nintendo = who cares if you brake street date

Pissing off Nintendo sure is a bad idea. But Ubisoft? Meh.

You played it? I've been hyping this game and said it would review very well.

You should take this to PM, if you want to talk more about it.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
Someone on Reddit had their copy shipped early:

dd7fiLf.jpg

Jealousy consumes me.

Top Bottom