• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario & Sonic: 2nd Trailer

Smiles and Cries said:
Cute, I guess you have not seen the 5 Beijing Pandas.

See above.

Smiles and Cries said:
My point still stands this will not turn into the Mushroom Kingdom Games, its all about the Sega and Nintendo world meeting in Beijing to compete in the Olympics, this is Sega's idea of cashing in on the Wii with its Olympic licence, other Sega Olympic games featuring "Humans" will follow this just before the games kick off in 08 on all platforms

I doubt very much this game's setting will take the action someplace other than Beijing.
There should be no hidden worlds in this game it would defeat the whole point of being licenced thing.[/b[

That's a very nice opinion you have there. I think there have been licenses of real things that were given fantasy elements, for instance NBA Jam. And there is an example of a Mario sports game that starts out in the normal world and proceeds into Mushroom Kingdom. I am the first to admit that this is not evidence or proof of what WILL happen, but only of what MIGHT happen. Perhaps my initial guess is backwards and instead the characters start off in their own universes and then are invited to Beijing. That fits in with your expectations of what consitutes a worthwhile use of a license.

It is silly for one to talk as though one knows the content of this unreleased and unprecedented game, especially given just how little info we have so far. I have a hunch that there will be more than a few surprises given the "historic" nature of the competitors.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I can only hope this game turns out as fun as International Track and Field for PSX. Man, the hours I spent on that game.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I'm surprised the crowds weren't just filled with Toads and Chaos. Speaking of Chaos, do you think they'll show up in any of the games considering the Chao races in past Sonic games?

Count Dookkake said:
See above.

That's a very nice opinion you have there. I think there have been licenses of real things that were given fantasy elements, for instance NBA Jam. And there is an example of a Mario sports game that starts out in the normal world and proceeds into Mushroom Kingdom. I am the first to admit that this is not evidence or proof of what WILL happen, but only of what MIGHT happen. Perhaps my initial guess is backwards and instead the characters start off in their own universes and then are invited to Beijing. That fits in with your expectations of what consitutes a worthwhile use of a license.

It is silly for one to talk as though one knows the content of this unreleased and unprecedented game, especially given just how little info we have so far. I have a hunch that there will be more than a few surprises given the "historic" nature of the competitors.

To me it all depends on how strict Official Olympic License limitations are.

Sure this is all Fantasy so I laugh at the talking animals point earlier, and yes in those Panda's little minds they are very much Olympians...

Still there is a limit to using fantasy mixed with a license as strict as the Olympic Games, for that reason I would not put my hopes up on unlocking home worlds in this game. Cities spend a lot of money just for the chance to host games so in return they are honored with their name and their city being fully featured to the world in everything for that event. After all the money China has spent in Beijing I seriously doubt you could compare this to some NBA lisence. This game can only and will only feature BEIJING.

I don't hate the idea of Kingdom Games, I just don't see a game featuring events at Beijing allowing room for that.

Neomoto

D-X said:
150px-Espio001.jpg
That looks like a gay sonic type character with bad inspiration :lol Why put such shitty looking characters in the game, ugh.

ggd210

GREAT!!!
I like it very much, a lot of sports... and... and and... I'm excited!!!
This is going to be a super party game, can't wait to invite friends to play it!!
I already sent them the link to watch this video!!

Thanks!!!

I hope they include a creative way to play it, I mean.... wario smooth moves is great, but... it's poor for the multiplayer system (I think)!! and... that's what I like from Mario Party, I hope next edition of mario party to be guests from sonic's world, or other games!!

D-X

Neomoto said:
That looks like a gay sonic type character with bad inspiration :lol Why put such shitty looking characters in the game, ugh.

Purple = gay?

Espio is one of the better characters anyway

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
OK, that trailer made it look kind of exciting. For a moment I forgot about all the shitty Sonic games released the past years, and just wanted to kick ass with Sonic. :(

But I still don't get why they're releasing this game so damn early. I have barely heard anything about the olympics next year, the hype hasn't even started as far as I know, and yet they're releasing the game eight months early? It's like they don't even care about the Olympics license even though they're using it. I mean sure, it's the holidays and all, but I assume an Olympics game released around the time of the Olympics (late July/early August) would get more attention, rather than having to fight with all the other big games around christmas.

Kusagari

Neomoto said:

Espio is easily one of the best characters in Sonic. He's a chameleon ninja who can turn invisible. I'd buy a frikking ninja game starring him. It would be better than Shadow the Hedgehog.

dkeane

Kiriku said:
But I still don't get why they're releasing this game so damn early. I have barely heard anything about the olympics next year, the hype hasn't even started as far as I know, and yet they're releasing the game eight months early? It's like they don't even care about the Olympics license even though they're using it. I mean sure, it's the holidays and all, but I assume an Olympics game released around the time of the Olympics (late July/early August) would get more attention, rather than having to fight with all the other big games around christmas.
I think it's because Sega is going to release a more realistic olympics game closer to when they start. Mario vs Sonic should have insane legs also.

Arde5643

Kusagari said:
Espio is easily one of the best characters in Sonic. He's a chameleon ninja who can turn invisible. I'd buy a frikking ninja game starring him. It would be better than Shadow the Hedgehog.
A traditional platformer where Shadow actually goes to different dimensions and solve puzzles and combat enemies with his dimensional/psychic abilities would've been cool though.

A DMC/Ninja Gaiden brawler style Espio might actually work...

japtor

Count Dookkake said:
It would be cool to see these new guys in the game, whatever they are. I'd like it if they had the mascots from previous Olympics as well, even though most of them are incredibly ugly designs.
thats what i was hoping for too. i figured they could combine to form a chinese panda voltron or something.

and the other mascots are awesome, some awesomely retarded, but still awesome. i found this page a while back while thinking about the idea when this was first announced: http://www.aldaver.com/

mclem

Conrad Link said:
I'm actually...... excited for this game. :/
My sensible mind tells me that this is likely be a cheap cash-in on all three of the big licenses, fanservice to end all fanservice, and probably not worth my time.

But whenever I see a trailer, my inner eight-year-old takes over my eyes and my brain, and all I can think of is AWESOME.

Mario & Sonic and their shitty friends.

Also, you do NOT give Wario a bow and arrow. That is just asking for trouble. Outside of Robin Hood, He would probably become the first man to ever rob someone by arrow point.

TheGreatDave said:
I'm sick of CG trailers. For any game it takes away some of my interest when you lack the confidence to show me the real thing.
I'd be on the boat on this one but the in-game footage we seen did look pretty good, minus the crowds and some hick-ups in the animation.

God damn it, GAF, I can't believe you've been bowled over by a sizzle trailer. Now I'm gonna have to post the last batch of screenshots to bring this thread back to reality.
mario-sonic-at-the-olympic-games-20070822011143353.jpg

mario-sonic-at-the-olympic-games-20070822011144196.jpg

mario-sonic-at-the-olympic-games-20070822011145384.jpg

mario-sonic-at-the-olympic-games-20070822011147087.jpg

I'm only doing this because I love you. :(

I AM JOHN! said:
God damn it, GAF, I can't believe you've been bowled over by a sizzle trailer. Now I'm gonna have to post the last batch of screenshots to bring this thread back to reality.
http://wiimedia.ign.com/wii/image/article/814/814445/mario-sonic-at-the-olympic-games-20070822011143353.jpg[/IMG]
http://wiimedia.ign.com/wii/image/article/814/814445/mario-sonic-at-the-olympic-games-20070822011144196.jpg[/IMG]
http://wiimedia.ign.com/wii/image/article/814/814445/mario-sonic-at-the-olympic-games-20070822011145384.jpg[/IMG]
http://wiimedia.ign.com/wii/image/article/814/814445/mario-sonic-at-the-olympic-games-20070822011147087.jpg[/IMG]

Watch the actual videos, all Wii games look like ass in pics. its all the dithering. The GAMEPLAY videos look nice.

Haunted

That trailer was great. The gameplay vids I've seen on gametrailers also look much better than the screens that were released last month, whatever the reason.

Tenbatsu

Haunted One said:
That trailer was great. The gameplay vids I've seen on gametrailers also look much better than the screens that were released last month, whatever the reason.

The CGs was done by the same company who did CGs for the Sonic and Nights games. Its not by Sega, its outsource. Sigh can't remember the company name. They produced really nice CGs.

Dubble

A lot of people seem to forget that beyond Cream, Shadow, and Blaze - all of the Sonic "shitty friend" characters represented so far hail from the 16-bit Genesis days. Amy (Sonic CD), Knuckles (S3&K), Tails (S2), Espio (Knuckles' Chaotix) seem to represent a good mix of classic Sonic albeit in their new designs.

Blaze was in one of the BETTER Sonic games to date truth be told, and Cream doesnt seem to be playable (as she seemed to signaling the firing gun and I assume that wherever she is we'll see Cheese). So at least out of the "shitty friends" that are playable we're getting the ones that actually matter.

As for Shadow....EH.

Truth be told, Shadow NEVER bugged me in SA2 (Dreamcast version mind you). Matter of fact, he didn't bug me until they pulled that "bring him back from the dead" crap and then turned him videogames biggest Mary Sue in all games following. And he didn't truly get under my skin until his own game which IMO was a disaster. But look at it like this - No Rouge or Silver or Babylon Rogues or Big/Froggy or Gamma or Marin or any of the other tons of other characters post SA1. At least, not yet. THAT'S when we start getting into the real shitty friends category. Mario's got just as many characters in its canon - only difference is Nintendo doesn't try to shoehorn them into gameplay all the freaking time (ignoring the sports games)

In terms of Mario villians/rivals we've got Bowser and Wario. No full connection to Waluigi yet though his flag has been seen. But as far as Sonic goes all we have is Eggman, maybe Shadow if he counts. Anybody else think we may get Metal Sonic? That'd be pretty neat truth be told.

GDGF

Soothsayer
I AM JOHN! said:
[IM]http://wiimedia.ign.com/wii/image/article/814/814445/mario-sonic-at-the-olympic-games-20070822011143353.jpg[/IMG]
[IM]http://wiimedia.ign.com/wii/image/article/814/814445/mario-sonic-at-the-olympic-games-20070822011144196.jpg[/IMG]
[IMhttp://wiimedia.ign.com/wii/image/article/814/814445/mario-sonic-at-the-olympic-games-20070822011145384.jpg[/IMG]
[IM]http://wiimedia.ign.com/wii/image/article/814/814445/mario-sonic-at-the-olympic-games-20070822011147087.jpg[/IMG]

That looks a whole lot jaggier than the actual game. Never judge a Wii or Gamecube game by screenshots. They always look horrible (or 9 times out of 10 they do, anyway)

Watch the actual (gameplay) video.

That was an excellent trailer, BTW.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
I was writing a post on the MC thread when it came on TV so I've alrady said it there, but I feel it is appropriate to write it here also, since it is a clear sign of the interest the could be around this game among casuals (and not only them).

Tonight, during MTV Italy's 10 minutes news, just after the segment dedicated to politics, they announced that "an historical first is about to shake up videogamers all around the world, with an unprecedented collaboration between SEGA and Nintendo about to bring to life what gamers didn't even dared to dream for many and many years until now: the first ever Mario and Sonic videogame: Mario & Sonic at the Olympics, coming exclusively on Nintendo's own consoles Wii and DS".
They sounded over excited and even showed the new trailer.
Talkin' about going mainstream FTW

Haunted

That trailer was fantastic.

Dash Kappei said:
I was writing a post on the MC thread when it came on TV so I've alrady said it there, but I feel it is appropriate to write it here also, since it is a clear sign of the interest the could be around this game among casuals (and not only them).

Tonight, during MTV Italy's 10 minutes news, just after the segment dedicated to politics, they announced that "an historical first is about to shake up videogamers all around the world, with an unprecedented collaboration between SEGA and Nintendo about to bring to life what gamers didn't even dared to dream for many and many years until now: the first ever Mario and Sonic videogame: Mario & Sonic at the Olympics, coming exclusively on Nintendo's own consoles Wii and DS".
They sounded over excited and even showed the new trailer.
Talkin' about going mainstream FTW
oh wow. That's awesome. :lol

Tenbatsu said:
The CGs was done by the same company who did CGs for the Sonic and Nights games. Its not by Sega, its outsource. Sigh can't remember the company name. They produced really nice CGs.
yeah, the CG is class.

uncleslappy

nethack is my favorite dark souls clone
I'm sorry, but does anyone else think this game is about 15 years too late? Also, take out the Mario vs. Sonic gimmick and what have you got? Another minigame comp. Believe me, I am as Nintendo fanboy as they come, but I think they should be touting Sonic's (inevitable) inclusion in SSBB more than this sillyness.

yilmazz

uncleslappy said:
I'm sorry, but does anyone else think this game is about 15 years too late? Also, take out the Mario vs. Sonic gimmick and what have you got? Another minigame comp. Believe me, I am as Nintendo fanboy as they come, but I think they should be touting Sonic's (inevitable) inclusion in SSBB more than this sillyness.

Uh right, olympic games videogame = stupid minigames, almost non game!

mclem

uncleslappy said:
You should write to the IOC and inform them that they need to rename their world-famous major sporting event to the "Olympic Minigames".

Top Bottom