• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mark Cerny joins Twitter, on 10 day tour with Kojima to explore technology options

E-Cat

CZu1R2AUcAAbG5V.jpg:large

Mark Cerny ‏@cerny
At @QUANTIC_DREAM for final stop of HK tour. Big welcome from David Cage, my favorite auteur!

Kojima am cry.

J-Skee

So during the Mark Cerny & Hideo Kojima tour, they have:

-learned about the motion capture process for games like the Last of Us & the Order
-visited Sucker Punch
-visited Sony Bend & viewed a 276 slide presentation (Moriarty has to be jealous)
-had drinks with Shawn Layden
-checked out London VR
-went to Media Molecule & looked at their creation tools
-visited Guerilla Games
-and for their last stop, at Quantic Dream (a little surprising since every other visit has been 1st party)

What can we take away from this? Most of if not all of these studios use their own custom engines, for one. Would Kojima try his hand at building another engine ala Fox Engine or possibly use one of theirs? With Cerny running around with him, will Japan Studio have a heavy hand in helping with the development process? I wish I could have been the fly on the wall during these meetings.

So is this trip a nice way to get Kojima to fully sign for Sony as a first party? Or see what engines every team from Sony is using so he can use it for his game while his team currently hires more people and do the pre-production work at the moment?

Also has he been at Naughty Dog yet? He might not want to leave after he goes there. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Raist

Banned
So during the Mark Cerny & Hideo Kojima tour, they have:

-learned about the motion capture process for games like the Last of Us & the Order
-visited Sucker Punch
-visited Sony Bend & viewed a 276 slide presentation (Moriarty has to be jealous)
-had drinks with Shawn Layden
-checked out London VR
-went to Media Molecule & looked at their creation tools
-visited Guerilla Games
-and for their last stop, at Quantic Dream (a little surprising since every other visit has been 1st party)

What can we take away from this? Most of if not all of these studios use their own custom engines, for one. Would Kojima try his hand at building another engine ala Fox Engine or possibly use one of theirs? With Cerny running around with him, will Japan Studio have a heavy hand in helping with the development process? I wish I could have been the fly on the wall during these meetings.

I really doubt he's gonna make another engine. He just doesn't have the staff for that.
So yes, he may use one of Sony's. Or something like UE4. Who knows. Well, they know I guess.

Maybe Kojima is interested in Quantic Dream's new virtual camera studio where they can directly record virtual camera movements for the game using a real camera prop. Which allows them to bring in experts from the film industry to help direct the cutscenes.
Also they hired the AI guy who wrote a big part of the NPC simulation engine Ubisoft used in Watch_Dogs and AssCreed titles, so maybe he is interested in huge crowd simulation as well.

Massa

So is this trip a nice way to get Kojima to fully sign for Sony as a first party? Or see what engines every team from Sony is using so he can use it for his game while his team currently hires more people and do the pre-production work at the moment?

Also has he been at Naughty Dog yet? He might not want to leave after he goes there. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Well, I think Cerny takes this trip every year. Kojima is starting a new studio so talking with other devs is a great idea. It's just business as usual.

I think it is both. It is more for the latter but I am sure they are doing the former as "subtly" as possible.

I believe so!

Ploid 3.0

In 2012

Wow...really can't wait to see what Kojima does. It's hard to imagine him making something that doesn't involve Snake. But, with his zanny style, it should be something that's a breath of fresh air and a graphical showpiece. Kojima's titlte and FF7R are probably my most anticipated gsmes.

Shin-Ra

Even if they don't visit Crytek, hopefully Sucker Punch gave a crash course on high quality SMAA Tx integration.

I-hate-u

How about Sony tries to licence the Fox Engine from Konami? It's a shame for it to go to waste, and Konami won't be doing much with it anyway.

They should just buy it outright. Konami will let it go to waste.

Before KojiPro were completely ripped apart, Konami had the engine being engineered for mobile games as well. I imagine that will be it's primary use going forward aside from PES and possible the PowerPro series.

Top Bottom