• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mark Cerny joins Twitter, on 10 day tour with Kojima to explore technology options

Hanmik

He has only 11 subscriptions and del toro is one of them?

Z8hbhna.gif

did you not see this tweet from Kojima earlier..?

https://twitter.com/HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN/status/689462860364132353

zZYybiU.png

etta

my hard graphic balls
Oh snap.
Imagine if Cerny and Kojima working together on the side for the PS5. Cerny making the hardware, KojiPro making an awesome engine.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Sounds like they want to build a new engine.

I kind of got the opposite impression.

A worldwide tour makes more sense if he's going to middleware vendors (both full engine and additional parts vendors like Havok/Enlighten/etc).

I assume he also wants to visit a bunch of studios to see how they operate. He did that quite a few years ago as well, but I imagine Konami wasn't as thrilled with the idea when relationships deteriorated.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Oh god please don't touch Kojima's next masterpiece.
Why not? Knack was made in one less year than normal games and Kojima made half a game.

Now combine them and you get half a game in half the time = More games per year. $$$ = fun

If they are exploring tech options, it wouldn't surprise me if Kojima's next game turns out to be a PSVR game, what with Sony pushing VR and Kojima has said he is interested in making a VR game.

GlamFM

Banned
Prediction time!

Kojima is actually working on something similar to PT.

With Del Toro.

It will be episodic.

He´s currently shopping for tech.

Naughty Dog can´t wait to be involved.

FuturusX

Prediction time!

Kojima is actually working on something similar to PT.

With Del Toro.

It will be episodic.

He´s currently shopping for tech.

Naughty Dog can´t wait to be involved.

All of some of those things would be welcome. We despise Konami, but in truth they set him free...

I kind of got the opposite impression.

A worldwide tour makes more sense if he's going to middleware vendors (both full engine and additional parts vendors like Havok/Enlighten/etc).

I assume he also wants to visit a bunch of studios to see how they operate. He did that quite a few years ago as well, but I imagine Konami wasn't as thrilled with the idea when relationships deteriorated.

I'm thinking this is the case. If Kojima is going on a tour of various engines and stuff the best person to have with him is Cerny, due to his familiarity with the hardware and his translation skills. Perfect guy for the job.

Dawg

Why not? Knack was made in one less year than normal games and Kojima made half a game.

Now combine them and you get half a game in half the time = More games per year. $$$ = fun

i really don't get the immense hate knack gets, especially because it was made on such short notice

it's a really good beat 'em up and platforming hybrid. i'd say it's the best, original platformer this generation, as of now. people will disagree with me and mention mario or whatever, but that is getting old. mario has barely changed since the first game. if i wanted to play a good mario game, i'd just whip up my n64. i'm not saying a game like mario 3d world is bad - not at all - it's just very, very safe.

mark cerny could be compared to an artist like vincent van gogh. saying this is probably enough for people to laugh at me and call me a troll.. but like van gogh, people just don't understand the charm of knack right now. i wouldn't be surprised if in ten years time or so people will be like "you know? knack was actually pretty fun. why did people hate it so much when it was released?".

and, you know, i kinda blame the mario franchise for this. that franchise has been the same thing for over a decade, just with more refined graphics and better/tighter controls. but the big issue here is that everyone has gotten so comfortable with the "mario platforming" that anything new will always be met with criticism or comparisons to the "better platformer". it's unfair, but that's where we're at right now.

people keep asking for new games... for new experiences... but when someone actually does that.. all they do is compare it to franchises that have barely changed since their creation.

Top Bottom