• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mark Cerny suggests Knack 2 could happen

KiraXD

oh god no. worst launch game on PS4... its up there with LAIR on PS3 in terms of terrible PS launch titles.

Unless it was patched to fix input lag/animation actions.
(heres an example, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPzvCA6fr4Y basically you cant move during certain animations like dodge... you have to wait until you come to a complete stop before being able to move again, meaning that you can have perfect dodges, but if an 2nd or 3rd enemy is attacking while youre dodging that first enemy... youre gonna die.)

I also got sick of walking down empty corridors or through empty streets, and then fighting 3 enemies... then walk down some more, then fight 3 more enemies... it was a VERY barren game, background assets, and just overall level design and level population was terrible.

nicksan

Neo Member
I kept thinking while playing Knack that a sequel could be really great - like God of War meets Katamari. Much more dynamic growth and more enemies to fight at once. Flattening buildings and taking on the broken parts - something that really makes use of the hardware rather than the PS1 style environments and breakable walls we had..

The idea of being comprised of tiny bits has a ton of potential for platforming. Break down into parts to have a ball complete a maze, use part of your mass to trip weight sensors, etc. Felt like Knack only scratched the surface there.

Lijik

After playing Swapforce I really feel like they should steal the level formula from that game (combat focus but theres still a decent amount of light platforming/puzzle solving) if they keep it linear, just without having to buy toys for the optional race/stealth/whatever side rooms. I mean thats just the simplest thing they could do to get me interested in a sequel. Something a bit more open where your size is less game-directed would be interesting too.

For those who liked Knack, I think it's great to entertain a sequel where the director isn't juggling between making the PS4 and making a game. It was clear that the game didn't be as ambitious as it could had been, given that the physics of Knack was originally supposed more like Katamari Damacy.

For those who are bothered by this, it still means that it's unlikely that another director outside of Cerny will revisit Knack, and given that he's currently involved in a non-Knack project, Knack 2 is wayyyyyyys off, if ever. Before writing Knack sequel off, let's see how his new game pans out first. It's going to be Cerny's first title in a while that's he's actually focused on, instead of being too busy with too many things.

Lastly, just because he want to, doesn't mean he'll get to.

7drHiqr.jpg

BigDug13

I welcome this news. The first game really isn't as bad as people say it is, a sequel with a more focused development and some more variety could be fantastic.

But why is the IP so important to hold onto? Try something else using similar gameplay elements with a new IP.

Nobody's going to buy the sequel to a critically panned game. It's already starting with an uphill battle due to the IP name already being tainted.

iALX

Was excited for this game when i saw the trailers. When it came out, not so much. Is it just me or did the majority forget this game rather quick?

crinale

Well if Cerny did say that then can we assume that Knack2 is actually in development? or am I reading too much into this?

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
OP's avatar is perfect. I really wish they'd try something else. Why make a sequel to something that was mediocre?
Did we read the same OP? He *is* trying something else, just said that he'd be willing to work with Knack again and even acknowledges that there's a lot of untapped potential there (aka a lot they could've done better).

And you wonder why some of us think the criticism aimed at Knack sometimes feels a little manufactured...you're straight up criticizing him for something that wasn't even said.

Kelsey

Banned
It would really suck if they've killed off Wipeout, but then go ahead and make multiple Knack titles. Don't be stupid, Sony.

Osiris397

Banned
I would LOVE to see KNACK 2 and KNACK RACING. Imagine the car dynamically pulling back together after a wipeout to let you keep going without missing a hitch! An 8-bit old school Knack side scroller would be sweet too. Personally I think Sony gave up on PS Champions too quickly Knack would be a great addition to that franchise. The problem is that Sony doesn't have enough wii-like customers on the platform yet. Expanding the Knack franchise could blow the door open on changing that and after seeing Nintendo's offerings it's clear that you can innovate out of a funk with the same brands it just takes a lot of creativity and a lot of guts to support just pushing through.

BigDug13

Did we read the same OP? He *is* trying something else, just said that he'd be willing to work with Knack again and even acknowledges that there's a lot of untapped potential there (aka a lot they could've done better).

And you wonder why some of us think the criticism aimed at Knack sometimes feels a little manufactured...you're straight up criticizing him for something that wasn't even said.

The IP name is tainted now. It would be an uphill battle to get an adequate amount of gamers excited about a sequel.

Trying something else with an IP that has already been tainted isn't very wise IMO. The IP holds no value. Try new gameplay elements in something NEW instead of sequels to mediocrity.

Constant sequels are already a plague on the industry, but at least for GOOD games, it can still be made to be a fantastic game. But for an IP that has already tripped and broken its leg right out of the gate? You're going to patch that leg back up and send that horse out again? I don't think you'll create a winner doing that as far as sales are concerned.

It's destined to be a mediocre selling game.

Gryph

I'd play a Knack sequel for sure...

Although I'd rather see a Puppeteer 2 if we're talking about resource allocation...

Xenon

This makes me happy. There is a lot of potential in the IP. I just hope the work on the replay-ability and doing more with the different versions of knack. They were pointless to use.

But why is the IP so important to hold onto? Try something else using similar gameplay elements with a new IP.

Nobody's going to buy the sequel to a critically panned game. It's already starting with an uphill battle due to the IP name already being tainted.

I think we need to see the interview before judging the context of the question-answer.

Because even if Knack 2 is never going to happen, I wouldn't necessarily go out-front and kill off any speculation that it could happen, especially if it was my baby. Besides, Cerny's talking about it from his perspective, even though it's pretty clear that Knack 2 is not in any shape or form of development at this point.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
To improve on the idea and make it less mediocre.

Eg: Assassin's Creed

Exactly. I thought the first AC was awful. The second one blew me away. The biggest problem I think Knack has for me (still haven't finished) is some of the acting and the characters. Also the VO for Knack is just bad.

However the overall idea for Knack is great. Get more platforming and more puzzles in there and they definitely have a winner.

Seventy5

No thank you

I think people that say they liked the game were just hyped about a launch game. The game is genuinely bad.
I still have it, since launch, and its still fun. I didn't care for Kameo at the 360 launch, but it didn't blame people's praise of it on launch console newness.

Dunlop

Wouldn't this be the Sony equivalent of the disappointment when Rare does Kinect stuff?

I only played the game for about 30 minutes at a buddies, but that was enough to know I would never want to play it again

The combat in Knack is solid, it's just all there is in the game. If they can build a more compelling game with platforming and such I'd be down for Knack 2.

I would, however, like them to make the story about Knack instead of the horribly unlikable human characters

I played Knack for a couple of hours and then decided to take advantage of the fact that Gamestop would take it for $40 (which, considering that I got it as a B2G1 free, means it was a free one-month rental.) It definitely seems like one of those mediocre games that has the potential to have a sequel that's actually good (see also: Zone of the Enders, Assassin's Creed.)

I played Knack for 15 minutes, after which I had no desire to ever play the game again. Perhaps a sequel could really improve upon and refine the game lay experience and turn out to be ok, bit I can't imagine it selling very well.

Top Bottom