• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mark Rein, " Gears of Wars maps to cost at first, then free a few months later."

Bu bu but Epic! You promised!

Whatever, learning all the in's and out's of annex in the current maps should keep anyone busy for the waiting period.

Xamdou

It is a really great compromise though, the map pack will be on sale at a reasonable price AND free after a couple of months.

Majority of Gears owners will buy the map pack up the minute it hits Marketplace, the ones who play on a daily basis.

xsarien

daedsiluap
watership said:
Buy if you want to support Epic and play right away, or wait if your want them for free.

I'm guessing that if you want to support Epic, you'd grab them for free and prove Microsoft wrong.

Was this exact thread started with the Halo 2 maps? MS really screwed the pooch on that one! People stopped playing Halo...oh...wait...what? I'm getting...hang on....I'm getting a news break...breaking news...yes...hang on...it seems like...wait...yes....people...I'm getting this news right now...okay...people, apparently, people are still playing Halo 2 after the exact same fiasco. Yes, still, to this day. It seems like poor MS can't win folks. It killed Halo 2 and it's going to kill Gears Of War.

There is no stopping this devestating wave of charging money for content. It happened this morning when I bought an Egg McMuffin. There...there is no stopping it.

Surrender.

(**** yes, I'm buying it. What do we live in a gulag? You can't stop me. This a free goddamned capitalist society.)

Oh beautiful....for spacious skies....

:)

mood

This is a great solution. Ill be buying the maps because Gears is a great game and Epic makes great content.

Cedeo

This is just gonna segregate the matches for a few months, it's some comprimise I guess between Microsoft and Epic.

GhaleonEB said:
Perfectly reasonable. It worked for Halo 2, it will work for these maps. If you want to get them free, wait. If you want them and think the price is reasonable, buy.

Everyone wins.

Compared to free maps when the are released? No, not everyone wins.

Do we lose? Not really.

It still fragments the community though.

BenjaminBirdie said:
Was this exact thread started with the Halo 2 maps? MS really screwed the pooch on that one! People stopped playing Halo...oh...wait...what? I'm getting...hang on....I'm getting a news break...breaking news...yes...hang on...it seems like...wait...yes....people...I'm getting this news right now...okay...people, apparently, people are still playing Halo 2 after the exact same fiasco. Yes, still, to this day. It seems like poor MS can't win folks. It killed Halo 2 and it's going to kill Gears Of War.

There is no stopping this devestating wave of charging money for content. It happened this morning when I bought an Egg McMuffin. There...there is no stopping it.

Surrender.

(**** yes, I'm buying it. What do we live in a gulag? You can't stop me. This a free goddamned capitalist society.)

Oh beautiful....for spacious skies....

Too...many...ell...ipses...I...ca...........n....bar...ely....understan...d...you....I.......luv....las.....ag....na.....it....fil...ls.....my.....tum.......my.....pretty......gewd.........End.......Transmission

Generalization FTL!

O, yeah? Well. YO FACE FTL! :D

Vyse The Legend said:
Too...many...ell...ipses...I...ca...........n....bar...ely....understan...d...you....I.......luv....las.....ag....na.....it....fil...ls.....my.....tum.......my.....pretty......gewd.........End.......Transmission

:lol

You're my favorite.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Vyse The Legend said:

800 market points will remove the ellipses immediately, or an anti-ellipses patch will be free to download in four months

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
It’s Microsoft’s store. Like any retailer they have the right to figure out what goes on the shelves of their store and what price they sell it at. They spend the money to operate the store and deliver the content.

Well thought out reasoning, it is practical, grounded in reality and business oriented thinking about the way Epic does business, how Microsoft does business, how nice Microsoft is running the Marketplace service, they are nice.. I mean I am happy for them, just that...

xpress_woodyallen.jpg

IT IS US THE CONSUMER WHO PAY MS A FEE TO KEEP THE STORE UP AND IT IS US WHO BUY THE CONTENT ON THE STORE AND ESPECIALLY US WHO BOUGHT GEARS OF WAR THAT WOULD WANT THE MAPS PACK!!!!

:(.

----

Banned
I don't understand why EPIC has been calling all the shots on this stuff. They are not the publisher of the game so they shouldn't even be commenting or making announcements on how much the stuff will cost and for how long. If EPIC wanted to have complete control over sales and distribution of this game then they should have published it themselves. Also I know it's not popular to argue against something being free, but if every publisher went to Gamestop and told them that they wanted to distribute their games for free through Gamestop, Gamestop would say no. How is it any different for Microsoft to not want to provide downloadable game content on their marketplace for free? It costs money to have a retail or an online store, so developers saying "here give my stuff away for free" is not a reasonable business proposition.

I think MS has taken an understandable position that if you want to give content away for free to consumers that it has to be ad sponsored. Otherwise you're asking MS to pay for the distribution of free content without any compensation. And Gears being one of the biggest titles on the platform sets the standard for what consumers expect of other titles on 360. If consumers are used to getting Gears of War maps and content free then they will expect to get free maps and content from all other games. Now that Xbox Live Silver exists they can't give content out to everyone on the service at no additional cost like they did on the original Xbox.

Fio

So, regarding UT3, PS3 and PC owners will get maps for free and X360 owners will have to pay for them just because MS want XBL profitable ? Great deal, uh ?

Panajev2001a said:
Well thought out reasoning, it is practical, grounded in reality and business oriented thinking about the way Epic does business and how Microsoft does business, just that...

xpress_woodyallen.jpg

IT IS US THE CONSUMER WHO PAY MS A FEE TO KEEP THE STORE UP AND IT IS US WHO BUY THE CONTENT ON THE STORE AND ESPECIALLY US WHO BOUGHT GEARS OF WAR THAT WOULD WANT THE MAPS PACK!!!!

:(.

Oh *I* get it! He's blind! So it's thinking without...foresight!

Finally, a reason I sat through that yet another bump on the staggeringly downward trajectory of Woody Allen's film career.

scarybore

I'm waiting on principle, my friends and I simply don't play or like Gears of War multiplayer enough to buy such maps, not to mention Epic wants them out for free and Microsoft is screwing them and us over with their blinkered view.

Fio Maravilha said:
So, regarding UT3, PS3 and PC owners will get maps for free and X360 owners will have to pay for them just because MS want XBL profitable ? Great deal, uh ?

That goes against the XBLM Commandments. They can't charge for anything that's given for free on another platform. At least, that's the rule. There's probably been some small grade BOHICA here and there that's slipped through, but there's no ****ing way that would happen with UT3 maps.

*BOOM!*

JdFoX187

Banned
Fio Maravilha said:
Wow...you can see into the future, eh?

Who's to say that Sony won't charge either?

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
BenjaminBirdie said:
Oh *I* get it! He's blind! So it's thinking without...foresight!

Finally, a reason I sat through that yet another bump on the staggeringly downward trajectory of Woody Allen's film career.

That was a GREAT movie :p.

Edit: the point was NOT that he was blind in the movie, I could not find the point in which he discusses with his ex-wife in the restaurant and just rants away.

Deathcraze said:
I'm waiting on principle, my friends and I simply don't play or like Gears of War multiplayer enough to buy such maps, not to mention Epic wants them out for free and Microsoft is screwing them and us over with their blinkered view.

So, just to translate: "I could care less about the game, but I'm going to take a situation that was unavoidable and turn it conveniently into a brash economico-political statement."

haircut

Vyse The Legend said:
The ellipses in his post were meant to imitate a reporter passing along news right as soon as he/she hears it, making excited pauses while listening, etc.

I found it very effective and more so than any other punctuation mark would have been.

Panajev2001a said:
That was a GREAT movie :p.

Edit: the point was NOT that he was blind in the movie, I could not find the point in which he discusses with his ex-wife in the restaurant and just rants away.

Hollywood Ending? Aw, man. I don't know. I love the Woodsmith, but I have to say Sweet And Lowdown was his last great movie.

mood

krypt0nian said:
MS have given the the opportunity to look like heroes here.

Pretty sure you cant charge for stuff on XBLM that is free elsewhere as Benjamin pointed out. Microsoft isnt publishing UT3 and its such a unique example of devs and publisher being very supportive of free extra content who knows what will happen.

haircut said:
The ellipses in his post were meant to imitate a reporter passing along news right as soon as he/she hears it, making excited pauses while listening, etc.

I found it very effective and more so than any other punctuation mark would have been.

Ok, now you're my favorite.

JCBossman

Banned
Ynos Yrros said:
Good that I'm not using Live. Paying 50$ a year for a matchmaking service is stupid, and Microsoft seems to be happy with that.

How is it that I can download lots and lots of stuff for PSP games, people can download lots of stuff for free for PS3 games, and X360 users have to pay for stuff that THE DEVELOPERS want to be published as free items? Let's just wait for other companies to bite on that strategy and start charging for everything.

I am going to bookmark that, but something tells me when Sony starts charging for online, your going to say your paying for Dedicated servers or Home, or something else.

haircut said:

Thank you for explaining that. Clearly, I didn't understand that. Nope, not at all. It's not like I put "End Transmission" in my post or anything. You know, signifying it was a faux radio message too. No, not at all.

Obligatory :lol

Ok, now you're my favorite.

OMG. You cheating hussy!

What's your GT, btw? I get the feeling that I've played a few games with you before.

scarybore

BenjaminBirdie said:
So, just to translate: "I could care less about the game, but I'm going to take a situation that was unavoidable and turn it conveniently into a brash economico-political statement."

You are twisting this, and to say it is unavoidable is just silly. If MS were so concerned about bandwidth price they could get Epic to pay for it, just as they would have done with a PC release.

If you feel value in paying for what would be free content if it was on another platform, then feel free to do so as I ain't gonna stop you.

krypt0nian said:
MS have given the the opportunity to look like heroes here.

To whom, exactly? I'd wager 85% of the people who will use these maps will hear of them first when they show up on Marketplace. Or maybe in a press release. This whole "controversy" is a miniscule blip on the massive, throbbing, Tetsuo-At-The-End-Of-Akira size Gears playerbase.

Jewbacca

Banned
OH YEA IT FRAGMENTS THE COMMUNITY...

Dude 1: Hey wanna play gears?

Dude 2: Sure I dont have the no maps though :(

Dude 1: LOL NOOB IM NOT PLAYING GEARS WID U DEN EVEN THOUGH THERE ARE 8 OTHER MAPS WE CAN PLAY!! BYE K!

Draft

This is your opportunity to tell MS how ****ed their policy is. DON'T buy the maps if you care a whit for the future of free downloadable content on your consoles.

nubbe

The good thing about charging first and give away for free later is that the user base doesn't get watered down since everyone will have access to the map packs at some point.

Lets see now of they can put the price at a sensible level... I think not.

BenjaminBirdie said:
GT: KidInsomnia. Don't tell!

What's yours?

FallenOne666. I'm sure, I've played something with you at some point. Not sure what, though. :lol

And I don't think anyone but us knows how to read spoiler tags. We are awesome. Awesome are we.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
nubbe said:
The good thing about charging first and give away for free later is that the user base doesn't get watered down since everyone will have access to the map packs at some point.

Lets see now of they can put the price at a sensible level... I think not.
I heard Microsoft just launched a 4000 Microsoft Points card at retail...

...No, they wouldn't...

...Would they?

:lol

Top Bottom