• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mark Rein, " Gears of Wars maps to cost at first, then free a few months later."

neptunes

There will be people who don't see the need in waiting will still buy them

and there are people who don't mind waiting.

everybody wins.

mr stroke

Man this blows ass......I am really starving for some new maps, and M$ has to come in and charge for them ON TOP OF charging 60$ for a first party game wich they said would be 50$ years ago :(

and just like most of us I will bend over and pay for it:lol

Tellaerin

---- said:
If consumers are used to getting Gears of War maps and content free then they will expect to get free maps and content from all other games.

As well they should.

When I buy an Epic game, I know that there'll be more maps/weapons/models available somewhere down the line at no additional charge. Supporting their games with free downloadable content is a practice that won my loyalty back in the days of Unreal Tournament, when id was nickel-and-diming players with stuff like Team Arena for q3a.

At a time when we're being asked to pay $10 more for games across the board, making DLC available for free to support the community and reward consumers for their loyalty seems more reasonable than ever to expect. I can't see how anyone who doesn't have a vested interest in making consumers pay for every bit of DLC released could possibly take MS' side in this.

(EDIT: I feel the compromise Epic and MS arrived at is better than just charging for the content indefinitely, but it's still a step in the wrong direction, IMO.)

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
not to toot my own horn... actually, you know what, I will toot my own horn, bitches ;) I called this in the original thread:

If the DLC is more serious stuff, like expanded missions or whatever, then Microsoft should charge for that stuff as it takes extra $$$ to produce, but they should consider offering it free months later like with the Halo 2 stuff. Get the best of both worlds and keep all sides pretty happy.

At this point, EA still has lots of power, but they're not going to abandon the 360 userbase, so Microsoft needs to stand firm and support the wishes of their other publishers or their partners like Epic, or they risk alienating those guys.

I'm sure MS will end up with some compromise, but our voices have to be loud.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
I'm glad that there was some sort of compromise between MS and Epic to give these maps away for free after some months, Halo 2-style... I seriously hope that this didn't strain their relationship - I really hope so...

Will I buy the maps? Hell yes. Gears of War is my GOTY2006, and I still play it on a daily basis, in both Ranked and Player matches... it's one of the handful of games I'd buy content for, so it's no problem for me, and I couldn't bear to wait for even one month since I love the game so much... gonna show my support to Epic for one hell of an awesome new IP...

And like BenjaminBirdie pointed out, people outside of GAF, especially the people who play this game religiously every single day, won't sit and whine (even though the maps eventually WILL be free) about buying the maps, they'll just buy and enjoy the new Gears experience...

I wanna see how reasonable these prices will be now... and again, I hope this doesn't strain the relationship - MS should've bit the bullet and let them go for free, but hey, they've a business company, and of course they want to make money...

neptunes said:
There will be people who don't see the need in waiting will still buy them

and there are people who don't mind waiting.

everybody wins.

Not on GAF!

Tellaerin

beermonkey@tehbias said:
Except GAF, who loses once again when their outrage is ignored by normal 360 owners who go right on buying content, supporting the 360, etc. :lol

I don't know why guys like you find it so amusing that we (meaning gamers as a whole, not just 360 owners) are going to be dicked over for additional content more and more as time goes on, especially considering how many of us saw this coming.

i wonder what will happen when UT3 comes out. because if sony allows them to be free and MS makes them charge i wonder how they will deal with it.

Tellaerin said:
I don't know why guys like you find it so amusing that we (meaning gamers as a whole, not just 360 owners) are going to be dicked over for additional content more and more as time goes on, especially considering how many of us saw this coming.
Depends on what you mean when you're saying 'getting dicked over'... If the content feels like it wasn't worth the money you paid for it, then OK. If you're saying that because it's just not free, well...

Gigglepoo

DemonSwordsman said:
i wonder what will happen when UT3 comes out. because if sony allows them to be free and MS makes them charge i wonder how they will deal with it.

Don't you have to pay for extra content on the PS3 as well? I know the Blast Factor upgrade, co-op mode, cost extra. Aren't the new Resistance scenarios extra as well?

Icarus

JdFoX187 said:
I'll buy them. And I don't see it as "taking it up the ass from M$." I've always said I'll pay for quality. Living in an idealistic world where everything is free is dumb. Shit costs money. It's not anybody giving it to anybody up the ass. It's business.

Absolutely, 100% correct. Agreed X100.

Gigglepoo said:
Don't you have to pay for extra content on the PS3 as well? I know the Blast Factor upgrade, co-op mode, cost extra. Aren't the new Resistance scenarios extra as well?

I'm sure people are not whining about the concept of having to pay for content. More about Epic having made a promise and not following up on it.

Tellaerin said:

I just find Internet Outrage amusing in general, or specificially the disconnect between so many internet communities and your average consumer.

I don't know how anybody is getting dicked over here, regardless. Just wait and get it for free if you don't want to pay. That's what I did with Halo 2.

PjotrStroganov said:
I'm sure people are not whining about the concept of having to pay for content. More about Epic having made a promise and not following up on it.

Epic needs to publish their own games and learn the guidelines of the platform before making promises. If they actually promised gamers that all Gears content would be free, period, they were dumb for speaking out of turn.

FrankT

beermonkey@tehbias said:
Except GAF, who loses once again when their outrage is ignored by normal 360 owners who go right on buying content, supporting the 360, etc. :lol

Pretty much, only thing is MS cannot use the line that they are not forcing developers to charge for the content because this very much flies in the face of that reality. I mean I love the 360, but don't feed us any fairy tales at the same time MS. Just give it to use plain and straight.

Don't feed us any BS and everybody wins. You can pay or wait.

beermonkey@tehbias said:
Epic needs to publish their own games and learn the guidelines of the platform before making promises. If they actually promised gamers that all Gears content would be free, period, they were dumb for speaking out of turn.

At least they didn't promise all content to be free but you are right.

Gigglepoo said:

yeah but what i meant was if Epic wants to make it free and sony allows them. Because MS doesnt allow it to be free.

Gigglepoo

Meh, I don't really have a problem with this. I have no interest in paying money for additional content - I didn't even buy the PDZ maps and I'm a Rare whore - so I will not be buying these maps either. But charging a few extra dollars to extend the life of a game seems perfectly reasonable to me. The programmers had to work many hours to create these new maps. This is just how capitalism works. If people want the new maps, they'll pay. If not, Epic and MS will need a new strategy next time.

As long as microtransactions take this form, and are not stupid skins or stuff already contained on the disc you bought, I have no problems. When companies release half finished games and expect people to pay for the finished product, I'll raise my voice in anger. But Gears was one of the best games of last year. To please the diehard community who crave more scenarios is ace.

Tieno

DemonSwordsman said:
One of MS's guidelines is that publishers can't charge for content that's free on another platform or something like that.

DemonSwordsman said:
yeah but what i meant was if Epic wants to make it free and sony allows them. Because MS doesnt allow it to be free.

Actually, MS has a rule against charging for content that is free on other platforms. If UT3 has free packs on the PS3, those packs will be free for the 360.

Tieno

beermonkey@tehbias said:
Actually, MS has a rule against charging for content that is free on other platforms. If UT3 has free packs on the PS3, those packs will be free for the 360.
I have beaten you.

Dot50Cal

Banned
Even though im not into Gears multiplayer, on principle I will wait until the very day these are free and download them. :lol

Zezboob

I'll just wait to see the maps, if they are worth of my money.

That's simple.

But I don't understand something, it's possible to dl patch for the X360 with a PC and burning it on a CD right ?
Epic could not do the same thing for Gears ? Or there is a technical/software limitation to it ?

Slavik81

cjelly said:
You people are stupid.
You realise the more people who buy the maps, the more chance there is of more map packs, don't you?
Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face.
I'll be buying them.

Better to sacrifice a map pack or two for Gears of War than every possible amount of future content on every Xbox 360 game.

Odysseus

Banned
---- said:
I don't understand why EPIC has been calling all the shots on this stuff. They are not the publisher of the game so they shouldn't even be commenting or making announcements on how much the stuff will cost and for how long. If EPIC wanted to have complete control over sales and distribution of this game then they should have published it themselves. Also I know it's not popular to argue against something being free, but if every publisher went to Gamestop and told them that they wanted to distribute their games for free through Gamestop, Gamestop would say no. How is it any different for Microsoft to not want to provide downloadable game content on their marketplace for free? It costs money to have a retail or an online store, so developers saying "here give my stuff away for free" is not a reasonable business proposition.

I think MS has taken an understandable position that if you want to give content away for free to consumers that it has to be ad sponsored. Otherwise you're asking MS to pay for the distribution of free content without any compensation. And Gears being one of the biggest titles on the platform sets the standard for what consumers expect of other titles on 360. If consumers are used to getting Gears of War maps and content free then they will expect to get free maps and content from all other games. Now that Xbox Live Silver exists they can't give content out to everyone on the service at no additional cost like they did on the original Xbox.

then perhaps it is time for live not to be sole method of online service on xbox, be it content or gameplay. microsoft is all about choice, right?

Jewbacca

Banned
People are talking about Epic not following up on their promise... Well they did, you got 2 free maps, balance changes, fixes, A FREE MODE ON MULTIPLAYER, and more free maps at a later date... what was the last console game that offered that other than halo 2?

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
Jewbacca said:
People are talking about Epic not following up on their promise... Well they did, you got 2 free maps, balance changes, fixes, A FREE MODE ON MULTIPLAYER, and more free maps at a later date... what was the last console game that offered that other than halo 2?

Ghost Recon 2 on Xbox 1.

oh yeah and TimeSplitters had a load of free maps because of the mapmaker.

Gigglepoo

Odysseus said:
then perhaps it is time for live not to be sole method of online service on xbox, be it content or gameplay. microsoft is all about choice, right?

Microsoft is all about money. Want to know how they've made so much? By eliminating choice. They have given you the option of Silver and Gold. That's all the choice you'll ever get.

At least I can choose not to buy more content for my games.

Kelegacy

XBOX - RECORD ME LOVING DOWN MY WOMAN GOOD
I just find it funny that a company like Epic, who has had a history of giving away free stuff to the people who have bought their games, want to do it again with the consoles but are being halted by Microsoft here, a finger waggled in Epic's face and telling them, "Oh, no you don't."

Epic: But they paid 60 bucks for our game, and they pay you guys 50 bucks a year to play online.
MS: Yeah, but we published your game.
Epic: But we've had other publishers in the past. We've given out free content still.
MS: Yeah, but that was on the PC. Consoles are different.
Epic: How so?
MS: Well...uh...bandwidth costs money...um..."
Epic: But they are paying you 50 bucks a year for that bandwidth. And not really, since they have to host online matches on their own bandwidth, their own machines. We made the maps, we want to give them out for free!
MS: Okay okay!!! How about a compromise?
Epic: Sigh...

maus

Kelegacy said:
Epic: Sigh... okaay fiine..

This is some silly shit though. MS, why sever developer's benevolence and ties to it's fans with this? This is just sort of Epic's thing, let them roll with it, these guys aren't new at making succesful game frachises. The console market is a bit different though and i'm sure plenty will happily pay, it's just upsetting to hear about such a conflict between devs and pubs over such a thriving product.

Sounds good to me.

But if MS is going to take this heavy handed approach on shit like this, how about they put some quality control on all these 10kb unlocks being sold for $2-3? The previous excuse was that it was an open market and MS couldn't stop them from ripping us off, but MS can obviously do whatever the **** it wants.

jax (old)

Banned
the only xboxlive game I played was GOW and I really enjoyed it. But I refused to pay for the matchmaking so my xboxlive subscription ran out after the 3 month trial I had. Some of the guys here are right. Pay for the right for peer to peer, and then pay for a couple of maps which are supposedly free? I'm going to miss out on annex (because of xboxlive) but I won't be giviing my money away for non-service. I'll wait. For xboxlive to become free and for the maps to become free.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Jax said:
the only xboxlive game I played was GOW and I really enjoyed it. But I refused to pay for the matchmaking so my xboxlive subscription ran out after the 3 month trial I had. Some of the guys here are right. Pay for the right for peer to peer, and then pay for a couple of maps which are supposedly free? I'm going to miss out on annex (because of xboxlive) but I won't be giviing my money away for non-service. I'll wait. For xboxlive to become free and for the maps to become free.

You are my new friend

Bodom78

Well thats a great compromise in my opinion. Seems to keep both parties happy from a business standpoint and consumers actually have an option.

Why people here still complain about the Live fee is beyond me, you don't want to pay for it then fair enough but don't tell us, because we don't care.

Bodom78 said:
Well thats a great compromise in my opinion. Seems to keep both parties happy from a business standpoint and consumers actually have an option.

Why people here still complain about the Live fee is beyond me, you don't want to pay for it then fair enough but don't tell us, because we don't care.
Pretty much.

beermonkey@tehbias said:

I seem to remember GRAW getting a free update on the PC version but for the X360 you had to pay.

Zezboob

gketter said:
I seem to remember GRAW getting a free update on the PC version but for the X360 you had to pay.
The games are different, and the DLC too of course.

That should be the reason.

Slavik81

Jewbacca said:

That is great, I agree. Epic gets a pat on the back and a firm handshake.
Microsoft certainly doesn't deserve to share in that praise, though. Not in the slightest.

Zezboob said:
The games are different, and the DLC too of course.

That should be the reason.

I seem to recall that the policy was created sometime around the launch of Maddan, well after GRAW Chapter 2 released.

It is true, however, that the PC version and 360 versions of GRAW were very significantly different and the downloadable content was different too. They were comparable, though. A set of free maps and a handful of new weapons. It probably wouldn't fall under that policy, though.

mabuza said:
dont worry they wont

Agreed that 360 won't win the generation.

I'm sure Nintendo will give us some free VC roms at some point, right? I mean, they've already made profits on these games years ago, it would sure show some goodwill to give us some old roms for free when XBLA and PSN have actually given us brand new games for the same prices.... :lol

Kelegacy

XBOX - RECORD ME LOVING DOWN MY WOMAN GOOD
mabuza said:
dont worry they wont
I don't know. I'm afraid they will, personally. Sony shot themselves in the foot with such a high price of entry, and now they are losing exclusives. Exclusives sell systems to me. I'm a pretty big Playstation fanboy (not Sony fanboy, but just have loved my Playstations) but even I can't stomach a 600 dollar entry fee this time. 400 was too much for the 360 (500 with a game and charging cable) but I did it anyway. Tax dollars burnt a hole in my pocket last spring (damn you Oblivion!).

I have no animosity for Microsoft, at least no overabundance of it, but I do have some fear. I don't want them running the console show--we all know how their business model has worked in the PC market. People complain about the way Sony acted as king the past two gens, just wait to see how Microsoft steps up if they take the crown this time. Paying for trinkets like gamerpics and themes, or being nickeled and dimed on DLC, will seem fair by comparison.

PleoMax

Banned
This is the right way to do it. Worked for Halo2.

If you still bitchin, then you nothing more than a hater. Get a life, don't wanna pay, wait for it.

Kelegacy said:
Paying for trinkets like gamerpics and themes

Why on Earth do people still bitch about this? The fight is over. People spend money on them so they'll keep charging for them. Shit, they still sell those lame ass "original content" ones that don't even have ties to games and those sell.

Sorry, but the market will bear what the market will bear. No use bitching about it.

FrankT

PleoMax said:
This is the right way to do it. Worked for Halo2.

If you still bitchin, then you nothing more than a hater. Get a life, don't wanna pay, wait for it.

I could really care less about the price and cost to be honest. The only thing that gets my ticker is the fact that MS said they were not forcing developers to put content up for price( or at least I thought I read that, maybe I'm wrong about this), but this totally flips that argument on it's head. Honesty should count for something in business, yea maybe I'm old fashioned. That is all I'm asking, if MS is going to do it this route then just state the honest facts from the go. Rather than telling the public something that is indeed not true. This coming from a big 360 fan.

Top Bottom