• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mark Rein: UE4 running on "systems we cant name yet"

Hiltz

A lot of people complain about how ugly some of the games look like that have come out this generation that run on Epic's engine. So I was wondering, what games that use it actually look good ?

_PsiFire_

We're releasing it on the upcoming Nintendo home console due out later in the year

Just say that

They could have also said they will be releasing it on upcoming Microsoft/Sony platforms, yet they didn't.

Does that mean they're not coming out on those platforms?

It's the same reason the Wii U logos aren't even on game ads that we KNOW are coming out for the system.

NDA's can be awkward.

I'm not saying UE4 is a sure thing on the WiiU but it really shouldn't be counted out at this point over what Mark Rein said.

Blizzard

Banned
Was there ever confirmation of who did the flying bird demo at Nintendo's last E3? I think that was when it showed up, and Mark Rein was there. If we never found out, I'm still kind of guessing that Epic helped with that demo.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Because of draconian NDAs.

Which is getting annoying.

I can understand Nintendo wanting to be secretive about the console itself. (I mean, already we have a rumour that Microsoft is gonna have it's take on the touchscreen controller and Sony had a awkwardly similar idea around the same time), but let the devs talk about what game we'll see on the damn thing!

Jonm1010

Banned
I highly doubt all the rumors are missing the mark. Some out there have to be true, as the devkits are out there.

I look at the ones with the most corroboration. The only one that seems to have had any corroboration was the IGN one. Two other sites also said they corroborated those rumors with their sources and that they were true.

Care to link the corroboration? Not that I doubt it but I don't remember seeing it.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Was there ever confirmation of who did the flying bird demo at Nintendo's last E3? I think that was when it showed up, and Mark Rein was there. If we never found out, I'm still kind of guessing that Epic helped with that demo.

Epic's comment was about Aliens: Colonial Marines being demoed on the system.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Why not AMD?

wsippel

Banned
They could have also said they will be releasing it on upcoming Microsoft/Sony platforms, yet they didn't.

Does that mean they're not coming out on those platforms?

It's the same reason the Wii U logos aren't even on game ads that we KNOW are coming out for the system.

NDA's can be awkward.

I'm not saying UE4 is a sure thing on the WiiU but it really shouldn't be counted out at this point over what Mark Rein said.
Not only games, it's the same thing with middleware. Just check the websites for CryEngine, fmod, Vision, BlitzTech, Havok, PhysX, Scaleform... Only very few companies mention Wii U on their sites, and they probably aren't really allowed to (which is also why I won't mention them here).

Jonm1010

Banned
The only one I'm aware of is after IGN stated the wiiu was 5x, Develop source confirmed the system was more powerful then last year.

I was referring to the Xbox 720 rumor that floated around for a while that it was only getting a 6700 GPU.

Anyways, Overall I enjoy reading the speculation for all the consoles but past history has told me that it's better to just wait because there will inevitably be some surprises - for good or for bad - once the official reveal comes out.

wsippel

Banned
It's just a guess, since I thought it was kind of odd that they didn't say "This demo made by [whoever]". Normally with fancy tech demos people like to advertise. I'm probably totally off-base.
I believe Rein confirmed that they had nothing to do with that demo, but Reggie refused to name the developer for some reason.

Because Nintendo has changed the name and he cant give it away?

Did anybody actually watch the video? Its been said on here umpteen times that he said they have "Unreal Engine" running on different platforms including the Wii U , which he named specifically like that. In the same breathe he said with a bit of a grin and smirk, that they have it running on platforms they cant name. He then goes off into a seperate tangent to talk UE4.

I can understand Nintendo wanting to be secretive about the console itself.

In the first place, I suppose Nintendo just wants to keep secretive not to give away any clue about WiiU's specs, as its competitors may have easily space enough to counter them.

Secondly, I think they don't want to spoil all the hype before they do actually decide it's the right time to raise the curtain on WiiU, and that is supposedly going to happen at next E3, although it could be earlier(or even later as far as we know).

BY2K

Membero Americo
In the first place, I suppose Nintendo just wants to keep secretive not to give away any clue about WiiU's specs, as its competitors may have easily space enough to counter them.

Secondly, I think they don't want to spoil all the hype before they do actually decide it's the right time to raise the curtain on WiiU, and that is supposedly going to happen at next E3, although it could be earlier(or even later as far as we know).

Nope. They said Wii U in it's final form will be revealed at E3.

Unless you mean the specs specifically. Because Nintendo never release a specs sheet, people have to tear apart one to know what's inside.

I don't think epic helped at all with that demo. Isn't it possible that a Nintendo company worked on it? Maybe Retro? NST (are they even still around?) I have my doubts a third party touched a tech demo for Nintendo

Nope. They said Wii U in it's final form will be revealed at E3.

No, I meant theoretically they could still call it off
they won't do it, unless they want to upset millions of potential customers

Unless you mean the specs specifically.
Because Nintendo never release a specs sheet, people have to tear apart one to know what's inside.

Yeah, I know, and I reckon they're quite right in their doing so, specs mean nothing, it's all about the games that run on that hardware.

wsippel

Banned
I don't think epic helped at all with that demo. Isn't it possible that a Nintendo company worked on it? Maybe Retro? NST (are they even still around?) I have my doubts a third party touched a tech demo for Nintendo
That (in)famous Gamecube techdemo back in the day was done by a 3rd party. And if it was one of their internal teams, there's no reason to keep it secret. Maybe it was done by a studio Nintendo recently bought and they don't want to make the acquisition public yet.

Snakeyes

Can a mod fix the thread title? The article is bogus and all it's doing is spreading more FUD about the Wii U at this point.

Can a mod fix the thread title? The article is bogus and all it's doing is spreading more FUD about the Wii U at this point.

The article literally says nothing about the Wii U. Blame Gaf.

I wouldn't call it bogus either. They just confirmed they have hardware from Sony and/or Microsoft.

That (in)famous Gamecube techdemo back in the day was done by a 3rd party. And if it was one of their internal teams, there's no reason to keep it secret. Maybe it was done by a studio Nintendo recently bought and they don't want to make the acquisition public yet.

This is certainly an argument I could agree with.

Rein confirmed nothing at all. He could be talking about iTV and a new AppleTV for all we know.

I'd doubt it. He has been mentioning how he know's a bit about MS/Sony's next consoles for months now. Then consider all the recent dev-kit rumors. I'd bet my house its MS.

Rein confirmed nothing at all. He could be talking about iTV and a new AppleTV for all we know.

He confirmed, with a grin on his face, that they're working with at least two unannounced platforms . The really clueless people will say iTV or AppleTV, people with the smallest insight will know it's the new consoles from Sony and MS.

Or this little known device called a pc.
He did mention PC.

Nibel

Please make Samaritan a real game.. this doesn't seem to unrealistic I think. I can remember when they showed the first videos of UE3 and there were some Locusts in it IIRC.

HeySeuss

Systems he's not allowed to name, not systems that do not have a name. You guys amaze me sometimes how you don't read between the lines.

As far as we no the PS4 hadn't sent out Dev kits yet, and xbox 720 just recently sent out their first gen Dev kit. Considering the recent rumors that the 720 won't be leaps and bounds more powerful than the 360 and closer to the WiiU, the likely conclusion is that he is speaking about those 2 consoles or a next gen pc card.

But trolls will have their fun, so logic and reason can be thrown out the window.

Norml

To be fair, though, look at two things:

1) Nintendo has a knack for using tech demos and then creating something that looks far, far better. The Zelda tech demo/actual comparison pictures are floating around in the Wii U thread. The actual game looks much, much better than the tech demo.

2) Sources say the latest devkits kicked up the power of the Wii U so the E3 tech demos aren't a great thing to judge the system on right now.

That said, I still see no way Samaritan is running on Wii U--OR Sony/MS's console.

Can someone post the screens of this,I must have missed.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

Let me better rephrase that statement:

I wasn't talking about the official Wii U Zelda game. As far as we know, that isn't even in development.

I was referring to how every time Nintendo shows a tech demo of Zelda at E3, the official game that comes afterward always looks much, much better. I'll try to find the link of the picture that has been posted proving this.

Sorry for the confusion.

Edit: I can't find a picture in the Wii U thread but there's a similar one on this page if you scroll down:

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/topi...versions-of-their-games-for-the-demos.?page=4

snesfreak

Banned
Let me better rephrase that statement:

I wasn't talking about the official Wii U Zelda game. As far as we know, that isn't even in development.

I was referring to how every time Nintendo shows a tech demo of Zelda at E3, the official game that comes afterward always looks much, much better. I'll try to find the link of the picture that has been posted proving this.

Sorry for the confusion.
B-b-but HD development is hard and Nintendo is too stupid to make their games look good!

Bruiserk

He is talking about previous tech demos:

l5HK6.jpg

dkGx5.jpg

Top Bottom