• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mark Rein: UE4 running on "systems we cant name yet"

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
The Samaritan demo looks good enough for me. If that's the one running on Wii U, I'm ok with it...

We don't even know if Sony/MS consoles will be able to run it, let alone Wii U. I think that's a pipe dream.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
The most impressive thing was the lighting. Wii U won't even come close to achieving that. Have you seen their E3 tech demos?

EDITED FOR CLARITY:To be fair, though, look at two things:

1) Nintendo has a knack for using tech demos and then creating something that looks far, far better. The Zelda tech demo/actual comparison pictures are floating around in the Wii U thread. The actual game that comes out in the years following the tech demo looks much, much better than the tech demo.

2) Sources say the latest devkits kicked up the power of the Wii U so the E3 tech demos aren't a great thing to judge the system on right now.

That said, I still see no way Samaritan is running on Wii U--OR Sony/MS's console.

Krilekk

Banned
As some have already mentioned, the BIG news from this is that devkits of one or both of the other systems are already out there.

My guess is it is the new Xbox. The main argument people had against the rumors that were released about the new Xbox being 20% more powerful than Wii U were that "devkits aren't even out yet."

My guess is that devkits are out and the things being leaked about the next Xbox are, most likely, true since developers have their hands on them.

Have you seen the size of the Wii U? Nintendo must've invented time travelling if they're able to put tech that is even close to what the next Xbox will achieve (according to Rein) in that small space.

alphaNoid

Banned
I said it back in November, but my source at Blizzard has had a second revision of the next gen Xbox dev kit in his hands already. Hardware has been in the wild for months now.

To be fair, though, look at two things:

1) Nintendo has a knack for using tech demos and then creating something that looks far, far better. The Zelda tech demo/actual comparison pictures are floating around in the Wii U thread. The actual game looks much, much better than the tech demo.

2) Sources say the latest devkits kicked up the power of the Wii U so the E3 tech demos aren't a great thing to judge the system on right now.

That said, I still see no way Samaritan is running on Wii U--OR Sony/MS's console.

I agree. samaritan ran on 3-way sli on current high end cards, right?

Plinko

Have you seen the size of the Wii U? Nintendo must've invented time travelling if they're able to put tech that is even close to what the next Xbox will achieve (according to Rein) in that small space.

According to Rein? What, exactly, did Rein say? Because if you're referring to the "UE4 running on systems we can't name yet" comment, that article was false.

I watched the video--he is clearly talking about the Unreal Engine in general when he mentions the systems he can't name. He then stops, and then begins to talk about introducing UE4 later this year. There was absolutely no connection.

http://www.gamespot.com/shows/gamespot-live/?event=interactive_achievement_awards20120209

Fast forward to 1:16:00.

Keep this in mind as well: Every latest rumor has Microsoft focusing more on how to play the games instead of going with a superpower console. The latest tablet rumor came with this:

"Microsoft are playing it safe with the CPU and GPU but running wild with the functions that will change how you play, but it won't be cheap."

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I said it back in November, but my source at Blizzard has had a second revision of the next gen Xbox dev kit in his hands already. Hardware has been in the wild for months now.

Any details or hints on the specs for the next gen Xbox dev kit?

Plinko

Exactly--and this is probably why so many rumors are floating out there right now. People keep saying they aren't true because they don't meet up with their super-high expectations, but the devkits are out.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4

That's the thing that worries me the most relative to WiiU. Something that small would have to have a super efficient cooling system or not be that powerful.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
That's the thing that worries me the most relative to WiiU. Something that small would have to have a super efficient cooling system or not be that powerful.

We still haven't seen the final form factor nor have we seen any actual games running on the system developed on final hardware dev kits.

cyberheater

We still haven't seen the final form factor nor have we seen any actual games running on the system developed on final hardware dev kits.

I guess that's true but unless Ninty have had a huge change of heart. I would imagine that the final design is going to be very similar in terms of volume. I'm not expecting to get blown away by the graphics of WiiU come E3 this year. I'm sure they'll be fine, similar to PS360 which would be okay but not a generational leap.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
I guess that's true but unless Ninty have had a huge change of heart. I would imagine that the final design is going to be very similar in terms of volume. I'm not expecting to get blown away by the graphics of WiiU come E3 this year. I'm sure they'll be fine, similar to PS360 which would be okay but not a generational leap.

generation leap, what defines a generational leap?

cyberheater

Are you going to get cute with semantics or are you genuinely interested in debate.

From a neutral perpective. A generational leap for a next gen console would have something like > 4 times the power of PS360. You could argue that a generational leap for Nintendo would produce a machine as powerful as PS360.

It would not surprise me if that was Nintendo's original intention but was forced to increase specs a tad due to negative dev feedback. I'm not expecting a power house machine from Ninty.

injurai

Banned

I would say roughly a jump in GPX and IQ that is roughly 1.75 to 2.25 times as good as last generation. Its very vague to describe, but in general you need hardware 8 times as powerful to truly double your GPX and IQ without diminishing the graphic integrity. Though with optimized engines, cutting corners you can easily squeeze out more ala consoles.

Have you seen the size of the GameCube? Nintendo must've invented time travelling if they're able to put tech that is even close to what the Xbox will achieve in that small space.

;)

Jonm1010

Banned
Exactly--and this is probably why so many rumors are floating out there right now. People keep saying they aren't true because they don't meet up with their super-high expectations, but the devkits are out.

Then it begs the question - which rumor is true?

We have ign saying its a minor upgrade sporting a modest 6670 amd gpu. then another rumor saying it is a 7000 level card. One rumor suggesting two skus with vastly different components catered to two markets. Another rumor with dual Gpus powering the system. One rumor with a modest boost in ram and another with a slightly different view. Some rumors suggest an included kinect 2.0. One now suggests a wiiU type screen controller.

At this point all anyone can do is speculate which one might be true(without ever being definitively sure) or that possibly all these rumors are missing the mark.

Snakeyes

Have you seen the size of the GameCube? Nintendo must've invented time travelling if they're able to put tech that is even close to what the Xbox will achieve in that small space.

;)

<3 Gamecube

It's the hardware wonder of the last generation. If only Nintendo had opted to use regular sized DVDs and an aesthetic closer to the DC, things would've been very different.

[Clark Gable];35018470 said:
Are you kidding me? Have you seen modern wattage for graphics cards today? Holy shit.

I'm well aware of them. I'm insinuating that the rift in performance for all next gen consoles will not be the gulf that most expect it to be, but more akin to the PS2/Xbox/GC gen. All the rumors out at the moment don't paint a picture of next gen consoles packing anything even approaching a hi-end graphics card.

stupidvillager

Neo Member
Are you going to get cute with semantics or are you genuinely interested in debate.

From a neutral perpective. A generational leap for a next gen console would have something like > 4 times the power of PS360. You could argue that a generational leap for Nintendo would produce a machine as powerful as PS360.

It would not surprise me if that was Nintendo's original intention but was forced to increase specs a tad due to negative dev feedback. I'm not expecting a power house machine from Ninty.
But they haven't just produced a system that is as powerful as PS360. It's more powerful, by how much, not sure yet. But we do know that its capable of things the PS360 cant do. So that could be defined as a generational leap.

cyberheater

But they haven't just produced a system that is as powerful as PS360. It's more powerful, by how much, not sure yet. But we do know that its capable of things the PS360 cant do. So that could be defined as a generational leap.

There was a guy on here who said he'd seen the WiiU dev kit and he said that they weren't even as powerful as a PS360. So unless you're a dev, no one knows for sure.

Plinko

Then it begs the question - which rumor is true?

We have ign saying its a minor upgrade sporting a modest 6670 amd gpu. then another rumor saying it is a 7000 level card. One rumor suggesting two skus with vastly different components catered to two markets. Another rumor with dual Gpus powering the system. One rumor with a modest boost in ram and another with a slightly different view. Some rumors suggest an included kinect 2.0. One now suggests a wiiU type screen controller.

At this point all anyone can do is speculate which one might be true(without ever being definitively sure) or that possibly all these rumors are missing the mark.

I highly doubt all the rumors are missing the mark. Some out there have to be true, as the devkits are out there.

I look at the ones with the most corroboration. The only one that seems to have had any corroboration was the IGN one. Two other sites also said they corroborated those rumors with their sources and that they were true.

Plinko

There was a guy on here who said he'd seen the WiiU dev kit and he said that they weren't even as powerful as a PS360. So unless you're a dev, no one knows for sure.

That was Arkam, who appeared in the Wii U thread one day with a hit-and-run post saying that same thing. When pressed for proof by a mod, he vanished and hasn't been seen yet.

I wouldn't put much credence into that one.

I think 4 sure we'll get an announcement for xbox 720 at E3. I feel like we're just at that stage right now. they might not do a full reveal, maybe they will leave the details for gamescom. But as of now, it definitely feels like the calm before the storm.

Plinko

I think 4 sure we'll get an announcement for xbox 720 at E3. I feel like we're just at that stage right now. they might not do a full reveal, maybe they will leave the details for gamescom. But as of now, it definitely feels like the calm before the storm.

Agreed.

snesfreak

Banned
He disappeared after failing to give any proof of what he was claiming.
I wouldn't believe anything he said.

clashfan

If UE4 was going to run on Wii U then why didn't he just say it? The Wii U has already been announced, it's not a secret.

If UE4 was going to run on Wii U then why didn't he just say it? The Wii U has already been announced, it's not a secret.

The thread title is a misquote. All that was revealed about UE4 was that it'll be revealed at some point this year. The consoles he can't talk about are Unreal in general, not UE4.

stupidvillager

Neo Member
And he was asked for credentials and I haven't seen him since. Epic, Valve. Crytek, EA, Ubisoft, and others have said they are either happy with the specs or that it seems like its going to be pretty powerful. But better than that is Gearbox who said the have Aliens running on the Wii U at textures and resolution not seen/possible before on the current gen. All said about early dev kits. But supposedly the dev kits are weaker than the PS360? I'll base my expectations/speculations on what those Developers say. Even if you take the Develop article about the Wii U being twice as powerful as the 360 that they current verify and was made last year they then go on to say, "However, yesterday a separate insider source told IGN that the next generation Xbox will be “six times as powerful” as its predecessor – the key addition being that this will mean it yields a “20 per cent greater performance than Wii U”.
That unverified calculation, if true, echoes claims from the Develop source who claims the Wii U is far more powerful than current expectations."

cyberheater

That was Arkam, who appeared in the Wii U thread one day with a hit-and-run post saying that same thing. When pressed for proof by a mod, he vanished and hasn't been seen yet.

I wouldn't put much credence into that one.

So he did a runner then. Either he was legit and was worried about breaking NDA or a fantasist. I'm guessing the later.

cyberheater

Even if you take the Develop article about the Wii U being twice as powerful as the 360...

I would be happy if it was at least twice as powerful. It would be enough for me. If true. I'm definitely getting one this year.

Top Bottom