• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mark Rein: UE4 running on "systems we cant name yet"

Epic has access to the next-gen consoles because they are making what will probably be the most used engine on them (at this point I wouldn't be surprised if Epic has major input on their specs). News at 11.

Uh-huh.

You guys realize that just because it can run on these systems doesn't mean it's running at initial specification right?

Nothing in these systems will be as powerful as even a single GTX580 let alone a quad.

The engine will run. Well woo hoo... UE3 ran on the 360, but it ran better on PC's. A lot better.

Krilekk

Banned
Uh-huh.

You guys realize that just because it can run on these systems doesn't mean it's running at initial specification right?

Nothing in these systems will be as powerful as even a single GTX580 let alone a quad.

The engine will run. Well woo hoo... UE3 ran on the 360, but it ran better on PC's. A lot better.

You're forgetting that the Samaritian demo was made in three months with absolutely zero optimization. Just because they needed 3 GTX580 to show it (in 60+ fps) doesn't mean that you need 3 GTX580 to achieve that kind of graphics.

You're forgetting that the Samaritian demo was made in three months with absolutely zero optimization. Just because they needed 3 GTX580 to show it (in 60+ fps) doesn't mean that you need 3 GTX580 to achieve that kind of graphics.

or at 30 fps hope it's not next gen standard hope microsoft forces a 1080p@60fps standard like they did this gen start with 720p.

Derrick01

Banned
Can we just get this shit over with already? All this teasing does nothing to me anymore with all the shitty rumors of underpowered gimmick consoles flying around.

Krilekk

Banned
They did? There were sub HD launch games

Exactly. They had a 720p, 2xFSAA for all games policy but quickly dropped it. Developers will always go for more detailed environments over more fps. Just watch the outcry after Rage to see why. The standard for next gen will be 720p (because that's still the resolution of most HDTVs that were sold in the last ten years) and 30 fps.

I just read that Samaritian requires 2.5 Teraflops. Xbox 360 is capable of up to 355 Gigaflops, so a ten times more powerful console like people like Carmack suggest should be easily capable of running Samaritian despite it using 3 GTX580.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
This means we will see some real time stuff at E3.

At the very least some awesome Unreal Engine 4 Gears 4 announcement teaser or better yet a Samaritan Announcement teaser...

I hope Crytek shows something for next gen as well, even if it is just a enhanced Cry-engine 3 demo, it would blow minds.

Krabardaf

Standard for next gen will most likely be 1080p. Even if there are still many HDTV now, by 2016/2017, when 4K will have arrived, 720p would be ridiculous.
As for 60FPS, keep dreaming all you want, that won't be standard.

If we're playing games in 720p in 2013 onwards it will be laughable.

720p is a pathetic resolution.

This.

I now have a pc with a 6950 and planning on probably upgrading with a 7950 or 8950 this year. And if consoles can't offer me 1080p@60fps as a standard next gen i dont see a point in putting aside and spending $500.

Bullza2o

If they're showing UE4 this year, either MS will show the next Xbox (rumors say unlikely?), or else it will be shown for the Wii U at E3 2012.

This.

I now have a pc with a 6950 and planning on probably upgrading with a 7950 or 8950 this year. And if consoles can't offer me 1080p@60fps as a standard next gen i dont see a point in putting aside and spending $500.

Yup. I have a 2048x1152 monitor, so the difference between my PC experience and a 720p console experience is HUGE.

And, of course, many people have monitors with even better resolutions than mine.

I understand 1080p is the max because of where TV tech is at, but that should be the bare minimum resolution next gen. 720p games should be shunned.

squidyj

Yup. I have a 2048x1152 monitor, so the difference between my PC experience and a 720p console experience is HUGE.

And, of course, many people have monitors with even better resolutions than mine.

I understand 1080p is the max because of where TV tech is at, but that should be the bare minimum resolution next gen. 720p games should be shunned.

I can agree with this but I will stipulate that I don't care if ti's 30 or 60 fps as long as it doesn't drop the ball.

Krilekk

Banned
If we're playing games in 720p in 2013 onwards it will be laughable.

720p is a pathetic resolution.

How long were people playing with PAL or NTSC resolutions? And if Microsofts numbers from some months ago are correct 30 % of all Xbox 360 still run at those resolutions. Image quality is much more important than resolution, which is why the next gen will not be a 1080p gen.

StuBurns

Banned
How long were people playing with PAL or NTSC resolutions? And if Microsofts numbers from some months ago are correct 30 % of all Xbox 360 still run at those resolutions. Image quality is much more important than resolution, which is why the next gen will not be a 1080p gen.
That doesn't really make sense considering those people are still getting better image quality as the system is downscaling the native image giving 'free AA' as we call it. A 1080p game will look better on a SD TV than a 720p one.

Do you have the full quote or a link to the video or something?

It was his speech at the IIE awards Interactive Achievement Awards like 9 hours ago, not sure if that got recorded somewhere. But he specifically said Wii U.

Exactly. They had a 720p, 2xFSAA for all games policy but quickly dropped it. Developers will always go for more detailed environments over more fps. Just watch the outcry after Rage to see why. The standard for next gen will be 720p (because that's still the resolution of most HDTVs that were sold in the last ten years) and 30 fps..
But Project Gotham Racing 3 was sub HD, and that was a launch game. So it was dropped pretty damn quickly.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
It was his speech at the IIE awards Interactive Achievement Awards like 9 hours ago, not sure if that got recorded somewhere. But he specifically said Wii U.

If true, hilarious--if only for the crow-eating that needs to occur in this very thread.

Krilekk

Banned
Standard for next gen will most likely be 1080p. Even if there are still many HDTV now, by 2016/2017, when 4K will have arrived, 720p would be ridiculous.

4K will die as soon as it appears. It's just another thing the TV industry wants us to want like 3D so we don't buy a new TV every ten to fifteen years like we used to but instead every five years. The problem is content. TV channels are even opting for 720pm or 1080i because it is much cheaper for them than to broadcast a full 1080p signal. Bandwidth is the problem here. And they sure as hell won't upgrade all their cameras to 4K after having just upgraded to HD. It's not like they can afford to buy new hardware every couple of years. We're talking about billions of investments here.

And comparing the resolution of a PC screen with a viewing distance of maybe half a meter to that of a TV with a viewing distance of four meters is just silly. People still buy DVDs because they don't see as big a difference between those and BDs for the asking price and you think they will switch to 4K in five years? LOL.

Full 1080p support alone would need almost 2x more power than a 360 has to offer. Meaning if the next gen system is 10x more powerful than a 360 it will only look 5x more powerful (graphical detail) when running at 1080p. Make that 2x more powerful when running at 1080p/60 fps. Now as a publisher, would you expect your customers to rather buy a game that looks 2x better than current titles or 10x better than current titles? Right, and that's why we will see a lot of games next gen running natively at 720p/30 fps. There's another reason: A lot of money these days is spent on creating high poly models and then turning them into lower poly models with normal maps to actually make them useable. To get development costs down you have to get rid of those extra steps and try to make just one model and use it ingame. This doesn't just cut the time and money spent on an ingame model in half, it's less than that (because it takes more time to create a low poly model looking as good as the high poly version than it takes to create the high poly version). That's where people are so wrong about diminishing returns. Next gen development will actually be cheaper - unless you put all that extra processing power into higher resolutions.

See what Turn 10 does. They create those 1 million poly models of cars and use them in the showroom? Why? Because they will use those models as ingame models in the next gen Forza games. And production of those models is much easier. With 1 million polygons even laserscanning becomes an option. That is not possible today for those 50k polygon models in Forza 4 and GT5 because the scanner doesn't know how to optimize.

No offense, but your last comment makes no sense.
He just got hyped and forgot that this engine is going to be scalable.Remember people running doesn't mean running at full spec,this engine is going to scale easily from a high end pc to a lower spec console.

Krilekk

Banned
But Project Gotham Racing 3 was sub HD, and that was a launch game. So it was dropped pretty damn quickly.

Not exactly, the policy was enforced for about three years. There were exceptions though because of memory constraints when using high dynamic range rendering - that's why PGR 3 was allowed to be sub-HD. It's simply not possible to use full HDR and full 720p on Xbox 360.

This is BTW also the reason why Halo 3 is sub-HD. It uses HDR.

If true, hilarious--if only for the crow-eating that needs to occur in this very thread.

Found it.

http://www.gamespot.com/shows/gamespot-live/?event=interactive_achievement_awards20120209

Starts at 1:12:40, rewatching it now to make sure I heard it right.

Not exactly, the policy was enforced for about three years. There were exceptions though because of memory constraints when using high dynamic range rendering - that's why PGR 3 was allowed to be sub-HD. It's simply not possible to use full HDR and full 720p on Xbox 360.

This is BTW also the reason why Halo 3 is sub-HD. It uses HDR.
It's entirely possible. What's not possible is to fit a full 720p buffer on the 10MB eDRAM to have the so called "free AA". Which is why some games were subHD.

If we keep dreaming yeah it wont ever be the standard.
If next gen is 1080p@30fps im not upgrading.

Maybe 95% of today gaming folks will do but i got used to a certain standard and i wont go back. Especially when i now see Tearing and see temporal aliasing at 30 fps.

And if people come up with 24 fps is cinematic remember you are playing a interactive game and not a movie and how lower the fps how higher observable input latency will be.

Top Bottom