• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mark Rein: UE4 running on "systems we cant name yet"

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
OK, i just watched that video, and he clearly does NOT say that UE4 is running on "engines we can't mention yet."

He's talking about the Unreal Engine as a whole and doesn't mention UE4 until AFTER he says that line.

For all current systems, Wii U, and systems 'he can't mention,' he's talking about the Unreal Engine in general terms. He gives absolutely no specifics about consoles running the UE4 engine.

Effect

Running on Xbox Next and PS4 because they don't have names yet officially whereas Wii-U is still for the most part an official name, so it runs on the other systems not Wii-U

Nintendo is still keeping everything about the Wii U under wraps (including games coming for it) other then what they choose to personally talk about (like the Near Field Communication feature). So they wouldn't be able to say if UE4 could run on the system if like everyone else they agreed with Nintendo not to talk about the system until Nintendo re-reveals the system at E3.

McHuj

OK, i just watched that video, and he clearly does NOT say that UE4 is running on "engines we can't mention yet."

He's talking about the Unreal Engine as a whole and doesn't mention UE4 until AFTER he says that line.

For all current systems, Wii U, and systems 'he can't mention,' he's talking about the Unreal Engine in general terms. He gives absolutely no specifics about consoles running the UE4 engine.

Yup, that's correct. Just listened to it myself.

UE runs on everything (including WiiU) and consoles he can't name.

He specifically says that soon they will unveiling UE4. My guess soon means GDC.

the amount of not just normal stupid, but that fucking high quality stupid that can only skimmed off the top of the congealed grease that comes out if you were brown the brains of michelle bachman, in this thread is astounding.

The next unreal engine will be on the next nintendo console, the next xbox and the next sony console. Whether epic will be making games for one or all three is still up in the air, the but an engine that can port across all three which will be really easy when sony switches to a more practical CPU.

Come on E3...

Come ON E3......

COME ON E3.........

46059504-rage-gif-.gif

Interesting. Ah well, as long as the truth doesn't conflict with my near religious belief that Dreamcast 2 is being developed deep in the Transantarctic mountains, I will continue to accept it.

Also we need E3 like, tomorrow.

Krabardaf

4K will die as soon as it appears. It's just another thing the TV industry wants us to want like 3D so we don't buy a new TV every ten to fifteen years like we used to but instead every five years. The problem is content. TV channels are even opting for 720pm or 1080i because it is much cheaper for them than to broadcast a full 1080p signal. Bandwidth is the problem here. And they sure as hell won't upgrade all their cameras to 4K after having just upgraded to HD. It's not like they can afford to buy new hardware every couple of years. We're talking about billions of investments here.

And comparing the resolution of a PC screen with a viewing distance of maybe half a meter to that of a TV with a viewing distance of four meters is just silly. People still buy DVDs because they don't see as big a difference between those and BDs for the asking price and you think they will switch to 4K in five years? LOL.

Full 1080p support alone would need almost 2x more power than a 360 has to offer. Meaning if the next gen system is 10x more powerful than a 360 it will only look 5x more powerful (graphical detail) when running at 1080p. Make that 2x more powerful when running at 1080p/60 fps. Now as a publisher, would you expect your customers to rather buy a game that looks 2x better than current titles or 10x better than current titles? Right, and that's why we will see a lot of games next gen running natively at 720p/30 fps. There's another reason: A lot of money these days is spent on creating high poly models and then turning them into lower poly models with normal maps to actually make them useable. To get development costs down you have to get rid of those extra steps and try to make just one model and use it ingame. This doesn't just cut the time and money spent on an ingame model in half, it's less than that (because it takes more time to create a low poly model looking as good as the high poly version than it takes to create the high poly version). That's where people are so wrong about diminishing returns. Next gen development will actually be cheaper - unless you put all that extra processing power into higher resolutions.

See what Turn 10 does. They create those 1 million poly models of cars and use them in the showroom? Why? Because they will use those models as ingame models in the next gen Forza games. And production of those models is much easier. With 1 million polygons even laserscanning becomes an option. That is not possible today for those 50k polygon models in Forza 4 and GT5 because the scanner doesn't know how to optimize.

Well that's many argument you have there.
I'm inclined to say that 4K won't be useful to many, but on large screen, it isn't tricky at all to see the difference with 1080p. Also, 4k vs 1080p isn't debatable, it is plain better.
Stereoscopic 3D on the other hand, doesn't please many people, including me.
I don't think switching to 4K for the industry would be impossible. 4K(and more) cameras have been there for a long time, and are even already used. Digital projectors in cinema are already either 2K or 4K. Blur ray can contain 4K movies, and HDMI 1.4 already support 4K too.
Games can be rendered at variable res, so there is no issue there for PC (console of course, will never go 4K due to performance).
Finally, television, well you are correct, but bandwidth increase over years so we'll see how far they'll go.

So honestly, I'm convinced 4K will be the last resolution increase for consumer level devices, but I don't think 1080p is the last step.

Console performances isn't measurable or comparable with such simple numbers.Running your game in 1080p doesn't mean you can't go over a certain polygon budget, everything is more subtle than that.
1080p will certainly be the industry standard because it won't be as hard to achieve as on current gen. Plus it helps getting rid of visual artifacts like aliasing.

Normal maps are mostly generated from texture, because it's far less time consuming. You don't model every rock with million of polygons. When creating a high poly model is really necessary (characters are a notable case), we are talking about millions of micropolygons. This won't be rendered as is even on next gen, because there is no point doing this unless you want to consume all your performance on a single character. Things like normal/height map doesn't take much time to derive from high poly. The hard work is to make this high polygon model.
I doubt next gen dev will be cheaper, many things will be done quicker but raw content will have to be far more detailed and technology can't do everything for you.

@dragonelite, tearing and temporal aliasing are issues we can get rid of at 30FPS. I would love 60fps as standard, 30fps pisses me off and I rarely play on console nowadays. But people simply don't care...But I have to admit that motion blur is getting more mature, that will help.

HylianTom

Banned
Interesting. Ah well, as long as the truth doesn't conflict with my near religious belief that Dreamcast 2 is being developed deep in the Transantarctic mountains, I will continue to accept it.

Also we need E3 like, tomorrow.

E3 is going to be fan-friggin'-tastic. I've already put in my vacation request at work for a few days that week, just so I can sit at home and watch the festivities.

Probably gonna be the biggest E3 in six years.

the amount of not just normal stupid, but that fucking high quality stupid that can only skimmed off the top of the congealed grease that comes out if you were brown the brains of michelle bachman, in this thread is astounding.

The next unreal engine will be on the next nintendo console, the next xbox and the next sony console. Whether epic will be making games for one or all three is still up in the air, the but an engine that can port across all three which will be really easy when sony switches to a more practical CPU.
This is what happens when people post "interpretations" of quotes, rather than direct quotes. Someone should update the op with the actual transcript.

awwww yeah, can't WAIT to see some next-gen games. i hope Epic is cooking up something different from Gears or UT for early next-gen. something a bit more serious, to go with the more realistic visuals.

stupidvillager

Neo Member
It's an NDA. That's it. I dont think the names have anything to do with it. He could have said the next xbox or next playstation. We already know the the Wii U is cable of things that the PS360 cant do, and that was done/said on early underclocked dev kits. MS and Sony have already said that they are not announcing a new console at this years E3.

That's a console he could name.

I really hope the Samaritan tech demo will turn somehow into a game. That looked like a cool thing.

Its not, all the developers have signed an NDA about talking of all the third party projects in Wii U until E3, even if we know they are rumoured.

It could perfectly be Wii U.

Nilaul

Hello, everyone Im new :)

4K, might be the last consumer increase, if It happens for everything. Thats a big if, because honestly speaking who really needs 4k?

Even on 52 inch TV hd does look just fine, However it is a bit blurry, thats a bit. 4K will probably be geared for larger screens as for smaller TV sets its not really needed.

For games well, I think 2k will be were resolution increases will end. No one needs minute resolution differences that you wont be able to notice, especially seated in a living room set up. 2k is probably going only to be needed for big 52 inch TVs.

Instead of bumping up resolutions, I think developers should instead try bumping up the detail in 1k (e.g texture detail, and geometry). Resolution increases its just a waste of resources in my opinion. Lets try and reach perfection in one resolution, 1k is enough.

I dont see why he would say the bolded, doesnt make much sense. Anyway, the big news here would be that he has "systems" he cant name. UE4 or not.

injurai

Banned
Instead of bumping up resolutions, I think developers should instead try bumping up the detail in 1k (e.g texture detail, and geometry). Resolution increases its just a waste of resources in my opinion. Lets try and reach perfection in one resolution, 1k is enough.

Yeah, we pretty much are expecting frame rate and resolution to remain the same into the next generation of video games. But 1080p and 42-60 FPS with AAx2 and AFx2 standard needs to happen.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
If Unreal Engine (4) will be running, as suggested by several posters in this thread, on all next generation systems, it sure bodes well for qualitative portability and well deployed interconnectivity. At least we could potentially see more support from third party software publishers for Wii U than we did for Wii during the current generation of consoles.

We should expect more information regarding this at Game Developers Conference (which takes place March 5-9) as Cliff Bleszinski, Rod Fergusson, Tim Sweeney and others from Epic Games are all attending sessions. They've also booked a relatively large booth (not larger than they had in 2011 though):

3821.png

Full floor plan here: http://www.gdconf.com/pdf/floorplans/GDC_2012_FloorPlan_02_08_2012.pdf

StuBurns

Banned
its already confirmed by a user that wiiu was referenced...
And since then who has speculated otherwise? And it's also been 'confirmed' by other users, it wasn't said in that context at all, so at this point, it's all speculation as far as I can tell.

Nilaul

Yeah, we pretty much are expecting frame rate and resolution to remain the same into the next generation of video games. But 1080p and 42-60 FPS with AAx2 and AFx2 standard needs to happen.

And also proper physics, advanced particle system? Dunno

What I mean is:

E.g water these days, its just a animated mesh, or texture these days. Now imagine this, water that reacts to everything. You throw a object it produces waves. Now lets say there was a huge object inside the water, you take it out, water gushes in to replace that area.

Did I explain my self well? :p

Also ground, when you move you kick particles, stones away, you leave footprints. Leaves stay crunch after you step on them. Etc. The wind could also pick up those leaves.

Other things that need to improve:
Lightning, texture effects etc.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Indeed, thread title should be changed to "UE3 running on "platform we can't mention by name yet."

Some people are reading way too much into the quote/are eager for the Wii U to be weak.

It would have actually been more weird for him to come out and say Unreal Engine 4 can run on the Wii U. Nobody has been talking specs that specific yet.

Secret iPhone killer.

Vita already killed iPhone, we're all next.

I'm sure UE4 is coming to Wii U if Rein's "water on fish" quote is anything to go by.

Also... I'm not sure which recent quote was more awesome, Itagaki claiming Armageddon and Aerosmith gave him the power to make DoA and saved his life, or next gen systems being really beefy, more so than 3 GTX 580's

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
4K will die as soon as it appears. It's just another thing the TV industry wants us to want like 3D so we don't buy a new TV every ten to fifteen years like we used to but instead every five years. The problem is content. TV channels are even opting for 720pm or 1080i because it is much cheaper for them than to broadcast a full 1080p signal. Bandwidth is the problem here. And they sure as hell won't upgrade all their cameras to 4K after having just upgraded to HD. It's not like they can afford to buy new hardware every couple of years. We're talking about billions of investments here.

And comparing the resolution of a PC screen with a viewing distance of maybe half a meter to that of a TV with a viewing distance of four meters is just silly. People still buy DVDs because they don't see as big a difference between those and BDs for the asking price and you think they will switch to 4K in five years? LOL.

Full 1080p support alone would need almost 2x more power than a 360 has to offer. Meaning if the next gen system is 10x more powerful than a 360 it will only look 5x more powerful (graphical detail) when running at 1080p. Make that 2x more powerful when running at 1080p/60 fps. Now as a publisher, would you expect your customers to rather buy a game that looks 2x better than current titles or 10x better than current titles? Right, and that's why we will see a lot of games next gen running natively at 720p/30 fps. There's another reason: A lot of money these days is spent on creating high poly models and then turning them into lower poly models with normal maps to actually make them useable. To get development costs down you have to get rid of those extra steps and try to make just one model and use it ingame. This doesn't just cut the time and money spent on an ingame model in half, it's less than that (because it takes more time to create a low poly model looking as good as the high poly version than it takes to create the high poly version). That's where people are so wrong about diminishing returns. Next gen development will actually be cheaper - unless you put all that extra processing power into higher resolutions.

See what Turn 10 does. They create those 1 million poly models of cars and use them in the showroom? Why? Because they will use those models as ingame models in the next gen Forza games. And production of those models is much easier. With 1 million polygons even laserscanning becomes an option. That is not possible today for those 50k polygon models in Forza 4 and GT5 because the scanner doesn't know how to optimize.
I forgot to turn on one of my video cards for BF3 once. It dropped res and the framerate was all over the place. It looked like a choppy, jaggy mess. It was jarring after playing it at 1080p/60fps for months. Really made me realize how important IQ is.

it could well be on nvidia's kepler and like everyone says, wiiu. Having said that, I would expect a major 3rd party engine provider like epic to be one of the 1st to get alpha/beta dev-kit.

beaten

Krilekk

Banned
E.g water these days, its just a animated mesh, or texture these days. Now imagine this, water that reacts to everything. You throw a object it produces waves. Now lets say there was a huge object inside the water, you take it out, water gushes in to replace that area.

Play some Halo 3. :)

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
As some have already mentioned, the BIG news from this is that devkits of one or both of the other systems are already out there.

My guess is it is the new Xbox. The main argument people had against the rumors that were released about the new Xbox being 20% more powerful than Wii U were that "devkits aren't even out yet."

My guess is that devkits are out and the things being leaked about the next Xbox are, most likely, true since developers have their hands on them.

Top Bottom