• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marriage Equality Heads to SCOTUS - Obergefell v. Hodges |OT| The Last Days of Murica

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tomorrow, June 26th, is not only the (2 year) anniversary of US v. Windsor and Hollingsworth v. Perry, it is also the 12th anniversary of Lawrence v. Texas, the historic Kennedy-penned decision which declared unconstitutional many state-level anti-sodomy laws and presaged so much of the forward progress on gay rights in the last decade. It's also just 2 days apart from the anniversary (June 28th) of the Stonewall Riots and, not coincidentally, Pride events in many places.

A historic date indeed.

12 years ago was when sodomy as fully legalized. How fuck up is that. only 12 years.

ivysaur12

Banned
I was at the SF Pride parade after Prop 8 got struck down in 2013, and that was an amazing feeling to be around.

If this passes, I can't imagine what it'd be like out there this year. I'm kinda sad I won't be there to see it.

I can't imagine it'll be as huge, honestly. This has sort of come and gone in California and most of the country. We've accepted this as the end ever since cert was denied last fall. It feels like unless there's an Austin or Atlanta pride this weekend, you wouldn't really feel its full effects. And that's fine. That's the way it's supposed to be, because gay marriage affects no one outside of the real couples who are trying to get married.

Houston, Cleveland, and Nashville all have pride events this weekend, so that's probably where you'd see the most outward jubilation coinciding with an already full-scale event.

THREADS MADE FOR IN CASE OF A DECISION TOMORROW -- One 6-3, one 5-4. See you then!

mclem

Do You Hear the People Sing? from Les Mis. We sang it at the 2013 Marriage Equality Rally along the beautiful Lake Eola in downtown Orlando in front of tens of thousands, and eventually the state was granted marriage rights.

Fantastically appropriate choice of song.

Holmes

I was at Toronto Pride a few days after DOMA was struck down. There were signs and people talking about it. It was a great day.

Paskil

I wish I could be there for the announcement. Oh well, having been in the courtroom for oral arguments will have to be enough. /brag

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I hope they announce it today. Pride Parade in NYC would be amazing. I would attend it.

Also, I welcome the penny.gif overlord.

Amy - After your comments about upholding the Ninth Circuit the other day, I got curious and did some reading, so now I know the Ninth Circuit is seen as more liberal, and thus more likely to be overturned by the more conservative SCOTUS. But are there certain patterns in reasoning that SCOTUS consistently disagrees with in their rulings and if so, why hasn't the Ninth Circuit 'learned from its mistakes', as it were? Thanks as always for your insight!
I will not presume to speak for the Ninth Circuit judges, but I will note that Judge Stephen Reinhardt of the Ninth Circuit famously said, "They can't reverse them all."

lol

LosDaddie

Banned
From our (Orlando Gay Chorus) 25th Anniversary show last week.

Do You Hear the People Sing? from Les Mis. We sang it at the 2013 Marriage Equality Rally along the beautiful Lake Eola in downtown Orlando in front of tens of thousands, and eventually the state was granted marriage rights.

Let's hope this trend continues tomorrow.

10411862_10206973444156424_7153758947530544274_n_zpsnfosyx7t.jpg

I was there. Great event. You guys put on a good show

mclem

Is it countdown time to Death of American Freedom and Liberty yet?

It's still conceivable that the ruling might not be until Monday. Just to mention, before peoples' hopes get up too far. SCOTUSblog have mentioned that they don't particularly feel that rulings are explicitly given on 'important' days.

Although now, I'm imagining a SCOTUS ruling day a bit like an E3 press conference. "And now... well, let's just say that the next ruling is one that we're all very proud of..."

mclem

Worth mentioning that as I understand it, four boxes doesn't necessarily mean four opinions. An opinion can span multiple boxes.

e_i

HELL YES!!! HELL YES!!!HELL YES!!!HELL YES!!!HELL YES!!!HELL YES!!!HELL YES!!!HELL YES!!!HELL YES!!!HELL YES!!!HELL YES!!!HELL YES!!!HELL YES!!!HELL YES!!!HELL YES!!!HELL YES!!!HELL YES!!!HELL YES!!!

I LOVE YOU KENNEDY!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom