• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marriage Equality Heads to SCOTUS - Obergefell v. Hodges |OT| The Last Days of Murica

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meier

I just watched a Jon Stewart segment on this last night and it was excellent as usual. My biggest takeaway though... Jon Bursch is very clearly gay. I see that someone else pointed this out but it's absolutely obvious. What a weird circumstance.

deadlast

Facebook said:
There's a big problem with making it legal. Especially when it comes to religious liberties. When you change the legal definition of marriage and make it a constitutional right, people of faith who object to what they believe is wrong will be forced to do things against their will. A Christian photographer will have to participate in a gay wedding. A baker will have to participate in a gay wedding. But let’s take this a step further for a second. Let’s say, hypothetically, the Supreme Court makes the marriage of a 9 year old to an adult legal, then anyone who is against this on moral grounds would not be able to object. If you are owner of a hotel, you would not be able to deny this couple of a room on their wedding night. If your preacher, you would be forced to marry this couple. If this was your daughter, you will have no legal right to stop it.
“Respecting everyone’s civil rights is unmistakably important, and the right to marry is unmistakably a civil right. But the “right to marry” is the right to enter into a very particular kind of relationship having distinct characteristics that serve important social purposes; the “right to marry” is not the right to enter a relationship that is not a marriage, and then force others by law to treat that relationship as if it were a marriage. Advocates for same-sex “marriage” ignore this distinction. Far from serving the cause of civil rights, redefining marriage would threaten the civil right of religious freedom: it would compel everyone—even those opposed in conscience to same-sex sexual conduct—to treat same-sex relationships as if they represented the same moral good as marital relationships.”
I have no doubt that gay couples can be great parents. However, that’s not the issue at stake here. The marriage between a man and a woman is the only institution that can bring forth life and bind a man and woman together for life for the sake of the child. Granted, this may not be the case for every marriage, but in principle, that is the objective. That’s way governments throughout the ages have recognized it as such and have a vested interest in promoting it. This is not possible within “gay marriage” because it is against natural law. In these cases, a child is deny a father or a mother.
As far as extending marriage benefits. You don’t have to be married to receive some those benefits. Anyone can use the power of attorney.
Behold the ignorance. Facebook is an amazing place.

HylianTom

Banned
One of my favorite parts of whenever a big case goes to SCOTUS is when editorial cartoonists address it..

RogerR20150501_low.jpg

TOLES_0.jpg

Danziger042815-668x501.jpg

20150428_1800px_1430224793539_17454978_ver1.0_640_480.jpg

Cartoon-SCOTUS-Creates-Problems-771x646.jpg

150428thesupremecourt9982175994_t755_h862c617f2bd7b1fa37fefd9a9c2b19f426aa852c.jpg

We get some really memorable work each time a major decision comes down.

From 2013:

Really looking forward to some of the art that comes out in June.

Yen

Compared to Italy and Northern Ireland? Probably not, unless Northern Ireland gets a court ruling, though I'm not familiar with the specifics of Northern Irish law.

There was a motion (not actual legislation) on the matter last week, on the same day our Health Minister resigned for first saying gay couples were likely to abuse their children and a few days later, harassing a lesbian couple on their doorstep as he was electioneering.
That he resigned was significant: he was only made to resign as the DUP could end up propping up a Tory govt next week, but it was the first time in 40-odd years that they were held accountable for their homophobia.
It'll have to be the courts for NI, and I believe it is something that Amnesty are looking into.

I know that most people are expecting a victory here but that doesn't stop me from being extremely nervous with this being a week away

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Right logic tells me that but it's just hard to comprehend something so momentous only being days away

I have the feeling we are going to get gay marriage legalized at the same time government subsidies for health care disappear for half the nation.

LOCK

Will today be the day! It's likely going to be today or Monday, Friday would be odd going on history.

So excited!

MaddenNFL64

Its amazing how fast all this happened. Can someone fill me in on how we went from banning gay marriage all over the country in 2004, to being a few days away from gay marriage legal everywhere? Was it the shitfest of the 2008 California marriage ban, something else? How'd popular opinion change so fast?

I remember the Kerry Bush election cycle, and it looking like this country was fucking doomed, to now, the culture warriors on the right getting their ass kicked.

Amazing.

Miles X

Its amazing how fast all this happened. Can someone fill me in on how we went from banning gay marriage all over the country in 2004, to being a few days away from gay marriage legal everywhere? Was it the shitfest of the 2008 California marriage ban, something else? How'd popular opinion change so fast?

I remember the Kerry Bush election cycle, and it looking like this country was fucking doomed, to now, the culture warriors on the right getting their ass kicked.

Amazing.

Seems to be a global phenomenon (outside of certain places, Russia, Asia and Africa). Personally I think the rise of social media and technology have had a big hand in it, no longer was it that the older generation controlled "the message"

Amazing.

Courts. This wouldn't be done in a legislature anytime soon.

Yeah, hasn't the city of New Orleans come out supporting gay marriage? It's the rest of the the state that is having none of it?

I'm not sure the city has much say in the matter. We are a most assuredly conservative state, but the opposition to gay marriage lies largely in the more rural areas and suburbs.

There is a healthy LGBT culture in New Orleans and has been since at least the 2nd half of the 20th century. It's an oversimplification to think it's just an expression of the whole "Big Easy" nonsense, but it has always been true in my experience that the majority of the city is very much a "live and let live" kind of community. I'll never forget the first time I saw a man in a dress on Canal St. about age 8 and how I seemed to be the only person who deemed it worthy of attention.

Not to be rude or anything, but I seem to recall Lafayette threatened to arrest Southern Decadence folks if they paraded in Lafayette when they were stranded away from New Orleans after Katrina.

I hope everyone's prepared for the consequences of gay marriage being legalized. When we introduced it here in Britain it rained blood for 40 days, there were plagues of locusts, and people were rounded up at gunpoint and forced to marry militant homosexuals.

How was that different from any day in Britain

CCS

Banned
I hope everyone's prepared for the consequences of gay marriage being legalized. When we introduced it here in Britain it rained blood for 40 days, there were plagues of locusts, and people were rounded up at gunpoint and forced to marry militant homosexuals.

How was that different from any day in Britain

Touché.

Amir0x

Banned
This is going to be an amazing strings of wins for justice, but this is the one I'm most excited for.

It's going to happen, there really is nothing to be worried about. But I can't wait to hear the words.

Ke0

Because then it means their bible is wrong.

Wouldn't be the first time their bible was considered wrong in America. In fact this would be like the 4th time.

1. Slavery
2. Interracial Marriage
3. Women's Rights
4. Gay Marriage.

At some point you gotta come to terms with reality vs a 2,000 year old book that's been translated like 90 times.

The Fair Housing Act and Affordable Care Act ("Obamacare") rulings went so damn well today that I have a terrific feeling about the outcome of Obergefell. I'm thinking/hoping/predicting that they understand how symbolic and historic this case is and are waiting until the very last minute of this term, figuratively speaking, to go out on a decisive, momentous move for equality.

Never say never, and lord knows I've been stunned and/or disappointed by the Roberts Court before, but I really think this one is going to go well. It's going to be a beautiful day.

I've felt good about this case since the Prop 8 and DOMA verdicts were issued. Even better with the speed of the case happening and going to the court. I've never been more confident of a victory, yet also never more stunned at how fast progress on at least one front has come.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
I was at the SF Pride parade after Prop 8 got struck down in 2013, and that was an amazing feeling to be around.

If this passes, I can't imagine what it'd be like out there this year. I'm kinda sad I won't be there to see it.

cajunator

Banned
Yeah, hasn't the city of New Orleans come out supporting gay marriage? It's the rest of the the state that is having none of it?

"In September, state District Judge Edward Rubin, of Lafayette, ruled the ban unconstitutional. The case involved Angela Costanza and her wife, Chasity Brewer. Rubin ruled that Constanza may adopt Brewer’s son and be listed as a parent on his birth certificate.

Rubin’s ruling, which was suspended pending appeal, only affects the state’s 15th Judicial District: Lafayette, Acadia and Vermilion parishes. The case has been widely overshadowed by federal cases, including another September ruling in which U.S. District Judge Martin Feldman in New Orleans upheld Louisiana’s ban."

Lafayette judge was on the right track but ultimately the power was in the hands of a new Orleans court

From our (Orlando Gay Chorus) 25th Anniversary show last week.

Do You Hear the People Sing? from Les Mis. We sang it at the 2013 Marriage Equality Rally along the beautiful Lake Eola in downtown Orlando in front of tens of thousands, and eventually the state was granted marriage rights.

Let's hope this trend continues tomorrow.

10411862_10206973444156424_7153758947530544274_n_zpsnfosyx7t.jpg

CDX

Tomorrow, June 26th, is not only the (2 year) anniversary of US v. Windsor and Hollingsworth v. Perry, it is also the 12th anniversary of Lawrence v. Texas, the historic Kennedy-penned decision which declared unconstitutional many state-level anti-sodomy laws and presaged so much of the forward progress on gay rights in the last decade. It's also just 2 days apart from the anniversary (June 28th) of the Stonewall Riots and, not coincidentally, Pride events in many places.

A historic date indeed.

Wow, I hadn't realized that until just now, that both the Lawrence v. Texas decision and the Windsor decision share the same June 26th anniversary day.

Maybe we will get the decision tomorrow and not have to wait until next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom