• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marty O'Donnell Fired By Bungie

This is not entirely accurate. There are several things that protect an employee, contracted or not. Most contracts do have an "out" that involves severance, that severance package can be voided if you are terminated "with cause".

As for an employee who is not under contract, if they were fired just because, and it can proven that you played favorites, were sexist, fired them because of their religion, ethnic background, retaliation for whistle blowing, etc. then no amount of "at will" can protect you from being sued. The "not following proper termination procedures" is a huge gaping hole filled by HR.

Also, a layoff is different from a firing, and comes with different responsibilities for the company.

It's not as cut and dry as you make it seem

Again, I'm not a lawyer. Was just pointing out that outside of a contract and under "at-will" it is apparently legal to be fired for political views. Sexist reasons, racist reasons, religious persecution reasons ... all different than canning someone for political views.

Though I'd assume it gets murky when political views intersect religious faith.

Have no idea if Marty was at-will, in fact I'd guess he was under a contract given his former stature at Bungie. Was just responding to the person who said it's illegal to fire someone for political views, where, to the best of my knowledge and under certain conditions, it can be legal to do so.

To the people that are claiming Marty got too many awards I think they're missing the point. Bungie was really cool because it had many people that stood out in the company, not because they stood out. There wasn't just Jason or Marty. There was Jason Jones, Marty O' Donnell, Paul Russell, Paul Bertone, Joseph Staten, Frank O' Connor, Brian Jarrad, Matt Naguchi, Joe Tung, Luke Timmins, Luke Smith, Chris Carney, Jamie Griessemer, Marcus Lehto, Dave Dunn, Chris Butcher, and so on.

Some of those people are still there. Even for people leaving like Brian it's easier to accept because you have somebody fantastic like Urk that's been in a similar position for a while and the community likes him. Marty was one of those oustanding people and to be terminated (with or without cause) is a huge shock. Jay Weinland and C. Paul are still there but Michael Salvatori always composed with Marty. Will he do it without him?

With so many of the "old guard" gone without public recognition of the "new guard" it puts a dent in my enthusiasm for the game and the company. I was going to buy a PS4 for Destiny and day one the collector's edition. Now I'm going to wait for reviews and I might not even buy it until next year.

What is this shit!? He's a clear cut legend in the biz. Why would they can my favourite guy? I was going to buy Destiny just because of him.

Edit: I always thought it seemed odd to hold onto a composer when everyone else contracts out, but the guy has been there forever and was one of the best parts of the company. It was a special relationship and now it's nothing.

289047-frank_1.jpg
Still doing it at 343i. Shenanigans are your specialty Stinkles.

I'm kidding, don't ban me from Halo please.

Madness

Video-game budgets, how do they work

If you can't budget for the guy who's been with you since Myth and one of the most important guys/audio, and a key reason your games are so successful and remembered, what's the point then? How many other games, especially FPS even come close to the mindshare for soundtrack or themes that Halo did? The Halo theme has become iconic. Can you say the same for others? The audio and music of Halo was always universally loved, even people who hate Reach loved the music in game.

Plus it doesn't even make sense since Destiny is less than 5 months from launch. He's already been paid and did almost all the work. Now Bungie will benefit from his music and scores and whoever does Destiny 2 will probably just build off of it.

teeejay

Banned
And now you wont?

Probably not, no, unless something gets me hyped enough at e3 to drop 400$ on one.

I actually listen to the Halo soundtracks all the time while I'm studying, and Marty's music really strikes a cord with me.

Without a beautiful story + soundtrack, Halo would practically just be another FPS to me.. it's these things that make it something special. Now that he's been dropped by Bungie, as well as the delays, my hype for Destiny has really plummeted. Maybe it's just me, but I just can't get hyped for games very often anymore.

FourDoor

LTTP as usual but what the hell is going on inside Bungie for something like this to happen?

Is this the first time one of the key members of Bungie has ever been let go (ie not leaving on their own)?

Scrawnton

Probably not, no, unless something gets me hyped enough at e3 to drop 400$ on one.

I actually listen to the Halo soundtracks all the time while I'm studying, and Marty's music really strikes a cord with me.

Without a beautiful story + soundtrack, Halo would practically just be another FPS to me.. it's these things that make it something special. Now that he's been dropped by Bungie, as well as the delays, my hype for Destiny has really plummeted. Maybe it's just me, but I just can't get hyped for games very often anymore.

You do realize that the music is probably done since the game is around 5 months away, right?

Ramirez

I have never played a game where the music added so much to the experience like Marty's score did with the original Halo, Metroid Prime comes close. Such a shame that this happened.

SpartanN92

Banned

Chord

someday

Banned
I was only a tepid Halo player, but that main theme is easily the most amazing, iconic song in gaming (to me). It gives me chills.

Here's the list of Bungie's Board of Directors, recent as of last October.

Link.

TL;DR

Harold Ryan
Jason Jones
Jonty Barnes
Chris Butcher
Brent Abrahamsen
Charlie Gough
David Dunn
Zach Russell
I am unfamiliar with Abrahamsen, Gough, and Russell. But some awesome Grizzled Ancients definitely had to have voted for this, at least for a majority decision.
Royalties fights are in way another level than marketing budgets concerns.
Royalty negotiations are a great piece of speculation. It also explains why Music of the Spheres was supposed to be released a while ago and has yet to see the light of day.

It isn't just Marty who left... Tons of other high profile Bungie Employees have left since after Reach.

Joe Staten, Marty, Marcus Lehto, Robt Mclees to name a few.
When did Robt leave? Lorraine still works there, right?

He strongly implied during his talk that he was tired of Halo and had a very negative relationship with Microsoft.
Understandable. Although he might feel similarly about Activision as well if he's been in a constant battle over royalties.

The in-house composer comments make sense generally, but Bungie had TWO in-house composers, having hired Salvatori a year or so ago. Marty and Mike have been working partners for a long time. Will Mike leave too? Is he already gone?

JDHarbs

Just got home and saw the news. Still shocked.

First Joe Staten leaves, and now this. What's going on over at Bungie lately?

clav

I doubt it, I remember him being pretty negative about microsoft.

Marty probably was.

From the time I saw his presentation at Northwestern back in Spring 2006 (before E3), Joe Staten passively disagreed with some of Microsoft's decisions. My memory might be fuzzy, but I specifically remembered on pressing Halo 2 on why it was PC + Vista only to him was that was Microsoft's decision to do that.

Pretty much everyone at Bungie hated Microsoft then and hence why they wanted to break away ASAP. They made a final Halo games agreement, and Microsoft branched off Bungie while forming 343i.

Now, things may have changed. Joe is now back at Microsoft for some reason.

XAL

I remember reading Marty's twitter awhile back around the last presidential election.

He came off as...an abrasive, paranoid teabag that watches way too much fox news.

Perhaps his backwards opinions about things rubbed too many people the wrong way?

That's my best guess.

SpartanN92

Banned
Well the MS of the past 8 months or so is drastically different than the one from before.

Hopefully the new leadership continues on it's new path and doesn't revert to old ways.

Chettlar

Banned
Does not compute. Green and Blue? To Galaxy? Revival? Requiem?

Green and Blue is a very poor song. To Galaxy is unfocused. Requiem...does it even have a theme?

117 is the only good track, and it's a fantastic track at that! Definitely. But um... yeah, the only one, and Davidge didn't even do that one.

I love Marty and will follow wherever he goes but, Green and Blue from Halo 4 doesn't get enough love. Them feels.

It's a poorly done song.

A fantastic idea, certainly, but Davidge does a very poor job of executing it. It isn't structured at all, disobeys rules of time signature, etc. It's just a poorly done song.

Far from "masterpiece" as some people have been saying.

Well that's upsetting. His music is one of the main reasons why I look back fondly on the Halo series. I still have the ODST soundtrack in my car... I like to play it on rainy days :D.

I trust he won't be out of the industry for too long. Surely someone will quickly hire him.

_woLf

I always saw Revival as the theme, with 117 being the most memorable track overall.

This is the problem, though. Halo has always had an instantly identifiable theme song. Halo 4 completely got rid of that, and no one track from it really spoke out as a true new theme song.

I've said it since it was first released: compared to any other Halo game, Halo 4's score has absolutely no identity.

Top Bottom