• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marty O'Donnell Fired By Bungie

A real shame for Bungie and Bungie music fans. I'm sure that they want someone who is less expensive and more pliable, but I bet they probably didn't need him at the helm anymore with the bulk of the game done and with Bungie embarking on a journey of nothing but Destiny DLC for the foreseeable future and maybe the rest of the this console generation, if their talk of a decade of Destiny is true.

Tawpgun

It's got a pretty predominant leitmotif throughout. Expecting a single track to supplant the dundundunDUNNNN that's been ingrained into your brain like Pavlov's jingle isn't going to happen.
But even ODST had an iconic sax tune to it the Alll aaallloooooone dooodooodoooooo (lol)

Reach also had a similar theme throughout the soundtrack.

Halo 4 just went for large scale epic Hans Zimmery music instead of the more identifiable piexes

thenexus6

Been listening to a lot of Marty over these last few days after the news, he will have literally no trouble finding new work, but its a darn shame what happened. So many memories and great times are brought to mind when listening to these songs from Halo.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
Marty has done a phenomenal job throughout the years.

That leak which suggested he was simply asking for too much money sounds about right. I'm sure Bungie didn't want to get rid of him, but at some point if he kept asking for more and more money on a project that is already incredibly massive, the board of directors are going to cut somewhere.

Marty is great, but just like anyone else, he's not indispensable.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Figured something like this was coming. Didn't think he'd move to another game company :/

He was one of very few composers that was a permanent part of the studio. He'll probably still do work for games, just on a contract basis like most game composers.

I hope he works on something that isnt just more grand space opera stuff and he branches out a little but if EA wanted to get him to write a few tracks for the next mass effect I wouldnt be against it

That's why I can't stand the music on Assassin's Creed anymore. Jesper Kyd did wonders to the series, just to be replaced by one of Hans Zimmer's talentless puppets.
Wouldn't say Balfe is talentless. The score for Beyond was pretty good. However it was still a stupid decision to replace Kyd and now the composer changes for every new game anyway. They should keep Deriviere though, dude is awesome.

jblank83

There's a big difference between "fired" and "laid off". Fired implies wrong doing on the employee's part. It makes subsequent job searches more difficult and means the employee is not eligible for unemployment. That doesn't seem to be the case here.

Not sure if it was mentioned and didn't feel like reading 40+ pages to see if it was. Thought I'd mention it, as I keep seeing the term misused in GAF topic titles.

riotous

Banned
There's a big difference between "fired" and "laid off". Fired implies wrong doing on the employee's part. It makes subsequent job searches more difficult and means the employee is not eligible for unemployment. That doesn't seem to be the case here.

Not sure if it was mentioned and didn't feel like reading 40+ pages to see if it was. Thought I'd mention it, as I keep seeing the term misused in GAF topic titles.

Yeah "terminated without cause" from a contract, to an unemployment office, is the same as a layoff.

Only real difference is that most people laid off get a severance, which affects their unemployment for a period of time.

I agree "fired" is a dramatic way to describe this job termination.

mcrommert

Banned

Don't jump into a 40 page thread to give basic information which common sense would dictate would have been covered. Marty said he was terminated without cause which is legal speak, not and indication of his feelings. He says "saddened" so that tells use he is, well sad. Terminated without cause means they ended his contract as an employee without stipulating a reason which is their right. No wrong doing is implied legally, but there must have been a reason they terminated him as they should be rational actors (nuclear deterrent theory is coming through here)

Edit: i see you are referencing the title...your feelings otherwise fired is a valid term for what happened to him, terminated is probably more legalistic accurate.

Never cared for the Halo series(not that I consider them bad) but I've sat through all the Halo games watching a friend play it, but always noted how damn good the music is. Another Rain <3
Hope this dude gets another job soon.

element

Washington is an At Will Employment state, so you can get rid of anything for anything that isn't covered by the law.

Being 'terminated without cause' is a nice way of saying 'GTFO'. Large companies use a term called RIF (reduction in force), though since this was at the board level, it probably got ugly.

jelly

Marty-ODonnell-Paul-McCartney-1024x576.jpg

Marty "Paul, your wrong"

:p

Woorloog

Banned
I have never heard of this dude before today.
I'm guessing he was fired because Bungie had all the music they needed, why would they keep him on?

O'Donnell was part of Bungie for years. Not contracted music, but also their sound director and so on. Big part of the studio. And a big deal for many Bungie fans, so no, they (probably) wouldn't have kicked him because they "didn't need him", unless, like the Reddit post claims (was it ever verified?) there were disagreement over his pay, or perhaps some other issue.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
The AC fanbase feels your pain. =(

I imagine Hitman fans do too. Absolution would have been a lot better with Jesper Kyd's music. The atmosphere in that game was all wrong without him.

I'm guessing he was fired because Bungie had all the music they needed, why would they keep him on?

He's been at Bungie for a very long time. He's incredibly talented, so to see this happen is a pretty huge deal.

JNT

He's probably one of the greatest composers in the video game industry. Check out his ODST soundtrack if you're interested.

jelly

Could do the live action Halo TV show. Nothing but Spielberg's name but a decent albeit familiar sidestep to get back into TV and Film if that is a route he wants to take.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
I hope Marty still does video games, although I certainly wouldn't mind seeing him do film or even TV, but his game music makes me excited for games he composes. Seriously, my hype for Destiny as a franchise has decreased a bit (unless Marty is hired back on a contractual bases but that probably won't happen).

ryan299

I hope he goes to 343. Not that the Halo 4 soundtrack was bad, I thought it was the best thing in a horrible game, but he would make Halo 5 even better.

Nothing too exciting, but here are a few quotes from Claude's phone chat with Marty:

"There are still a bazillion people at Bungie I care about - I've worked there for almost two decades, and made deep friendships that will last forever. I wish for the best for the team, and for Destiny."

"I've never done a feature film, but I've worked on film scores, I've done commercials, I've done video games... if Spielberg called, I wouldn't say no."

http://destiny.bungie.org/files/marty-after-bungie/

Imagine the possibilities! Can anyone think of a good project for Spielberg to bring Marty in on?

Blues1990

I honestly don't know how I feel about this. I do hope that Marty is able to find work soon, in addition that there isn't any bad blood between him & his former employers.

Madness

If the Audio Director and someone who's been with them for 18 years and has basically created the audio/music for all of their games since Oni and Myth is expendable, I don't know what to say. Something had to have happened. He was one of the few faces of the company, one of the people who went on stage to announce Destiny as well. I just thought his music was amazing. Just won't be the same Bungie without him. I seriously hope he goes back to Halo and 343, though I'm pretty sure every studio will be showing interest in him.

I would like to see him stretch his legs and do something more than Halo music for the rest of his career. Hope he gets to try something new and exciting, his body of work speaks for itself already.

Top Bottom