• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT2| Discussion on released and future projects (spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom_Cody

New GOTG promo art:

4ziz.jpg
Wow, that art could not be more hideous.

Thor, yes but Thor 2, I dunno.

Sorry. I meant Thor 2. (It's fucking excellent, by the way).

I'll use spoiler tags.

Regarding the mid-credits stinger, SPOILERS FOR THOR 2: THE DARK WORLD WHICH HASN'T BEEN RELEASED IN THE UNITED STATES YET:
So fucking glad they're taking the Infinity Gems out of the picture and are instead retconning the Tesseract to be one of the "Infinity Stones" along with the Aether. This is a new version of the Marvel Universe so they don't have to stick to the way it's been done in the past. Weird that Loki basically had the Mind Gem in his sceptre, but whatever. Taking all of the gems and (hopefully) the Infinity Gauntlet out of the picture means they don't need to introduce nearly as many ridiculous macguffins by the time Avengers 3 rolls around. They'll have things that have had their cosmic-level power already established in other films, and we already know of two of them. I suspect that Guardians of the Galaxy might establish a third.

Showaddy

Sorry. I meant Thor 2. (It's fucking excellent, by the way).

I'll use spoiler tags.

Regarding the mid-credits stinger, SPOILERS FOR THOR 2: THE DARK WORLD WHICH HASN'T BEEN RELEASED IN THE UNITED STATES YET:
So fucking glad they're taking the Infinity Gems out of the picture and are instead retconning the Tesseract to be one of the "Infinity Stones" along with the Aether. This is a new version of the Marvel Universe so they don't have to stick to the way it's been done in the past. Weird that Loki basically had the Mind Gem in his sceptre, but whatever. Taking all of the gems and (hopefully) the Infinity Gauntlet out of the picture means they don't need to introduce nearly as many ridiculous macguffins by the time Avengers 3 rolls around. They'll have things that have had their cosmic-level power already established in other films, and we already know of two of them. I suspect that Guardians of the Galaxy might establish a third.

Really? Did you miss
The Collector saying "1 down 5 to go" then? There's still going to be 6 items and even if they're not gems Thanos & the Gaunlet are still coming. Even if the IG just absorbs or harnesses their power.

TDLink

I just saw Thor. Am I allowed to talk about it in here yet?

If you're going to talk about it in here I would at least use spoiler tags until it's been out in all regions for at least a week (it isn't out in North America until Friday).

Really? Did you miss
The Collector saying "1 down 5 to go" then? There's still going to be 6 items and even if they're not gems Thanos & the Gaunlet are still coming. Even if the IG just absorbs or harnesses their power.
Obviously there are four Infinity Stones left to be revealed - we know the Tesseract is one of them too - but my point is that this approach is much better than having to introduce a total of seven new Macguffins (six gems and the gauntlet) before Avengers 3. Also, I'm not entirely sure that the gauntlet will have to be a thing. I don't see why it would.

duckroll

The mid-credits scene in Thor 2 was better than the movie itself. James Gun > Alan Taylor. Can't wait for Guardians of the Galaxy! Del Toro was greaaaaaaat! :D

Showaddy

Obviously there are four Infinity Stones left to be revealed - we know the Tesseract is one of them too - but my point is that this approach is much better than having to introduce a total of seven new Macguffins (six gems and the gauntlet) before Avengers 3. Also, I'm not entirely sure that the gauntlet will have to be a thing. I don't see why it would.

You can't do Thanos and the Infinity Gauntlet storyline without the Infinity Gauntlet, it's just not happening. They've made the Mcguffins into something more unique so they're easier to identify but they'll all tie into the Gauntlet in the end. The last 4 gems/stones will be revealed over the next couple of phases and then it just comes together in the final film. Not hard really.

J10

Banned
They're not that unique though. There were several Comic Cube-like artifacts in the Marvel universe, the Cosmic Containment Units. The Aether in the MCU is probably just one of those. What I think they might be doing here is instead of using the Infinity Gems directly, they'll have the Cosmic Containment Units power the Infinity Gauntlet, and the gems manifest from the Units through the Gauntlet that way. That kinda throws a wrench in the idea that Loki's scepter was powered by the Mind Gem, but it also lines up with the idea that the scepter was powered by the Cube, so maybe it was the Mind Gem manifested in the scepter via the Cube (Thanos gave him the scepter and it's entirely possible that he would have the technological means aside from the Gauntlet to harness that power - but the Gauntlet would still be the ultimate unifier for all six). The Aether, being red, would then correspond to the Power Gem.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
I honestly think that post Edgar Wright's Ant-Man (If we get Paul Rudd) old RDJ will start hearing footsteps.
I do however, also suspect it will be a sort of half-baked version of Pym for comic fans, but hopefully people can live with that in exchange for some good-ass movie times... knowing geeks, probably not, but a man can dream.

Showaddy

Some interesting quotes from Gunn regarding GOTG:

"We have a prison set that is 350,000 pounds of steel. Our sets are enormous. Anybody who knows me knows I really love the mix of practical and CGI effects and I carried that over into this movie. We have tons and tons of practical effects. People ask if it's expensive, and it is, but not compared to making every single shot in the movie a visual effect. We have tons of practical sets. I can't wait for people to see it because it's astoundingly beautiful."

So it seems it won't be the all greenscreen CGI fest some people were worried about. Also:

"Thanos is a character in our movie. He's the main sort of... He works with Ronan. In my movie Ronan works for Thanos, and Ronan is the main bad guy in our film."

Which sort of confirms Ronan's going to be much more of a bad guy than he is in the comics.

Some interesting quotes from Gunn regarding GOTG:

"We have a prison set that is 350,000 pounds of steel. Our sets are enormous. Anybody who knows me knows I really love the mix of practical and CGI effects and I carried that over into this movie. We have tons and tons of practical effects. People ask if it's expensive, and it is, but not compared to making every single shot in the movie a visual effect. We have tons of practical sets. I can't wait for people to see it because it's astoundingly beautiful."

So it seems it won't be the all greenscreen CGI fest some people were worried about. Also:

"Thanos is a character in our movie. He's the main sort of... He works with Ronan. In my movie Ronan works for Thanos, and Ronan is the main bad guy in our film."

Which sort of confirms Ronan's going to be much more of a bad guy than he is in the comics.
It depends. I hope they don't change Ronan that much. I want him to work for Thanos because Thanos offers him something for the greater good of the Kree. So everything Ronan is doing, is for the Kree.

But I like what James Gunn is saying about Galaxy of the Guardians. I cannot wait to see the first trailer is going to be so much fun! Go Go Go Guardians!

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
I honestly think that post Edgar Wright's Ant-Man (If we get Paul Rudd) old RDJ will start hearing footsteps.
I do however, also suspect it will be a sort of half-baked version of Pym for comic fans, but hopefully people can live with that in exchange for some good-ass movie times... knowing geeks, probably not, but a man can dream.

i dont think Pym has a fanatic following , there can be some give and take with the characterization. I think what people will want to stay intact is that Pym wants to help others thru his science advances and his personality sometimes leads him to become disenfranchised with the whole being a super hero thing. Other than that, the beating his gf stuff was actually an editing error unless we're talking the Ultimate Pym....i really hope they dont do Ultimate Pym...everything ultimates was a good one off story but on going ..ugh no im glad Galactus is going to eat it all.

TDLink

No-one's posted this yet? Because godfuckingdamn.

This sounds fucking amazing.

For people who aren't clicking the link:

The 4 new shows plus mini series are all on Netflix starting in 2015. The shows are Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, and Iron First. The Mini-series will be a culmination ala The Avengers...The Defenders.

eastx

Having all four series intertwine and build up to a miniseries is pretty awesome. Shame it's so far off, but very exciting regardless.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
Wow, thank you based Marvel.

But is Loeb involved at all? If so....could be shit.

well he is over TV but hopefully just delegating, he already ruined the avengers animated show, and people were less than satisfied with the spiderman show.....Yost...return to us!!!!!...omg please...

BLACKLAC

And being on Netflix is perfect in terms of the creative process! They also wont have to worry about being cancelled!!

Too Good!

GAMEPROFF

Banned
And being on Netflix is perfect in terms of creativity! They also wont have to worry about being canceled!!

Too Good!
Beeing on Netflix and not on an traditional Channel prohibes them not from having a DVD/Blu-Ray Set later, dont them?

Im not american and I dont know much about Netflix, but I would love to have a Blu-Ray set of theses show next to my other MCU Blu-Rays.

BLACKLAC

Beeing on Netflix and not on an traditional Channel prohibes them not from having a DVD/Blu-Ray Set later, dont them?

Im not american and I dont know much about Netflix, but I would love to have a Blu-Ray set of theses show next to my other MCU Blu-Rays.

I wouldn't think so, House of Cards is on Dvd.

deleted

I just watched the One Shot on the IM3 BluRay. These things are getting really good! And I want more Marvel in the 40s now! An entire Series/Mini-Series about Agent Carter and Howard Stark setting up shield would be amazing! The productions values were also far better than in the One Shot in Avengers.

Dai101

Banned
I just watched the One Shot on the IM3 BluRay. These things are getting really good! And I want more Marvel in the 40s now! An entire Series/Mini-Series about Agent Carter and Howard Stark setting up shield would be amazing! The productions values were also far better than in the One Shot in Avengers.

Sign me in! We need more Haley Atwell in everything.

TDLink

The OP has been updated with the newly announced TV shows. Thor: The Dark World was moved from In Production to Released. The Development Hell section was also updated a bit to reflect some of those properties now being TV series.

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
I'm curious to know everyone's wishlist of villains/heroes to be introduced in the next Thor film. To assist, here is a quick rundown of several not in the movies thus far. For my picks, should there only be one more movie, I'd like to see a team of Loki/Enchantress/Executioner working together to bring Surtur & Ymir to Asgard for a true war that would be similar to a Lord of the Rings flick. Balder and Valkyrie could be introduced to help protect Asgard. Other options are below.

Villains:
1. Enchantress & Executioner
2. Gorr the God Butcher
3. Mangog
4. Absorbing Man
5. The Wrecking Crew
6. Midgard Serpent
7. Fafnir
8. Desak
9. Fenris Wolf
10. Ymir
11. Surtur
12. Hela

Heroes:
1. Balder
2. Valkyrie
3. Thor Girl / Tarene
4. Hrimhari
5. Olympians
6. Beta Ray Bill

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Beta Ray Bill would make so much sense when you think about Guardians of the Galaxy and how to Thor is very much linked to the galactic stuff.

I would really love to see him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom