• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT2| Discussion on released and future projects (spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glass Rebel

It was typical cheap drama bullshit writing. I love Whedon's character work but just like in the first Avengers with Coulson, Pietro's death felt unearned. There was no proper lead-up and there was no point to his death. It doesn't work as a sacrifice or redemption because we barely get to see weight of his actions under Ultron in the first place.

Also Quicksilver looking at a helicarrier and going "so dis iz shiald" isn't a character arc.

BLACKLAC

Also Quicksilver looking at a helicarrier and going "so dis iz shiald" isn't a character arc.

It wasn't the best and could have been better but starting the beginning the movie as an adversary, particularly with Hawkeye, to at the end saving his and a kids life, is at least an arc. If anything he was a victim of getting lost in the shuffle of a lot of characters. Whedon needed Markus and McFeely helping him on the script.

Glass Rebel

It wasn't the best and could have been better but starting the beginning the movie as an adversary, particularly with Hawkeye, to at the end saving his and a kids life, is at least an arc. If anything he was a victim of getting lost in the shuffle of a lot of characters. Whedon needed Markus and McFeely helping him on the script.

We definitely agree on that.

The Kree

Banned
The point of his death was to subvert the idea that the Avengers were god-like. The movie starts off with Clint getting wounded while the rest of the Avengers remain relatively unscathed. Then there's the farmhouse segment and the conversation with his wife about whether Clint even belongs among them. The twins tell Ultron the story of waiting to die from a bomb with Stark's name on it. Pietro later dying to one of Tony's creations while saving Hawkeye who was trying to save someone else is the tragic fulfillment of both of their destinies. I think his death serves the bigger story in a meaningful way.

It's about as good an arc as you could ask for with a cast that large in a movie that short. I agree that Wanda and Pietro should have had more screen time though.

The point of his death was to subvert the idea that the Avengers were god-like. The movie starts off with Clint getting wounded while the rest of the Avengers remain relatively unscathed. Then there's the farmhouse segment and the conversation with his wife about whether Clint even belongs among them. The twins tell Ultron the story of waiting to die from a bomb with Stark's name on it. Pietro later dying to one of Tony's creations while saving Hawkeye who was trying to save someone else is the tragic fulfillment of both of their destinies. I think his death serves the bigger story in a meaningful way.

It's about as good an arc as you could ask for with a cast that large in a movie that short. I agree that Wanda and Pietro should have had more screen time though.

Yup baffled by the Quicksilver backlash. It's not as if he showed up for a scene and was quickly dismissed.

The tragedy of Quicksilver is that I keep thinking about how cool he would have been in the civil war airport fight had he not been killed off

Bronx-Man

Banned
latest

Never in my wildest dreams would I have believed that the post-credits tease in Iron Man would end up delivering on its promise in such a big way.

Dawg, I remember marking out when I saw that in 5th grade. I'm halfway through college right now.

Jesus.

SpaceWolf

Banned
The tragedy of Quicksilver was that he was a poorly written character in a poorly written film, and that his character was executed in an infinitely more dynamic and engaging way in the X-Men movies.

Glass Rebel

That's my point. If that's what Whedon wanted to show, he should have killed off a different Avenger (which he obviously couldn't) or should have given QS more time to develop as a character and become part of the team. As it stands, he just joins them to zip around and get killed off. There's no emotional weight to his death because we barely get to know him. It's just symbolic.

The tragedy of Quicksilver was that he was a poorly written character in a poorly written film, and that his character was executed in an infinitely more dynamic and engaging way in the X-Men movies.

I didn't see a character called Quicksilver in the X-Men movies, only a glorified setpiece.

The Kree

Banned

This is false. There's nothing to him in X-Men other than his powers. We literally know nothing about the kind of person he is.

The only noteworthy thing that version of Quicksilver ever does is ruin the plot of DOFP by not accompanying Xavier to Washington because he was shoehorned into the movie at the last minute with no consideration for what his power set means to the greater conflict. He's garbage.

BLACKLAC

Funniest thing about Fox Quicksilver is they literally had a brain dead layup reason to have Magneto turn face at the end of Apocalypse... And don't do it, one of the most inept scenes I've ever seen. Nothing about that character is good, just how they presented his powers, which was getting old by his 2nd appearance.

#BringRealQuicksilverBack

6ETBhhu.png

Glass Rebel

It looks cool as fuck tho.

In Apocalypse, a movie where Michael Metalbender destroys Auschwitz while Olivia Munn stands by respectfully in a bikini, the Zip-Zap scene was the only saving grace.

SpaceWolf

Banned
This is false. There's nothing to him in X-Men other than his powers. We literally know nothing about the kind of person he is.

The only noteworthy thing that version of Quicksilver ever does is ruin the plot of DOFP by not accompanying Xavier to Washington because he was shoehorned into the movie at the last minute with no consideration for what his power set means to the greater conflict. He's garbage.

We get a very clear idea of how Pietro is in both X-Men movies.

He's an aimless, irresponsible drifter who only really cares about his family, a compulsive rebel and teenage delinquent who learns to direct his powers towards a more meaningful cause than petty theft as he gets to grips with the idea that his abilities can genuinely do some good in the world. Even so, the very nature of his powers have caused him to form a disaffected, almost serene view of the world, which moves almost excruciatingly slowly for him by comparison. He's a funny, interesting character who gets solid character beats in both the movies he's appeared in.

He was exactly the kind of character he needed to be in the X-Men films, and what's more he worked as a secondary player in the stories he appeared in. Unlike the Marvel version, who just sort of showed up for a few seconds at a time at irregular intervals to garble his lines in a ridiculous accent before getting abruptly and unceremoniously killed off.

Sorry lads, but I totally disagree with your opinions on this!

I know why they did it, but I really wish Quicksilver was still alive. On the bright side, these are comic book movies and if there's one thing that comic books are known for, it's that the dead rarely stay dead.

The Kree

Banned
We get a very clear idea of how Pietro is in both X-Men movies.

He's an aimless, irresponsible drifter who only really cares about his family, a compulsive rebel and teenage delinquent who learns to direct his powers towards a more meaningful cause than petty theft as he gets to grips with the idea that his abilities can genuinely do some good in the world. Even so, the very nature of his powers have caused him to form a disaffected, almost serene view of the world, which moves almost excruciatingly slowly for him by comparison. He's a funny, interesting character who gets solid character beats in both the movies he's appeared in.

He was exactly the kind of character he needed to be in the X-Men films, and what's more he worked as a secondary player in the stories he appeared in. Unlike the Marvel version, who just sort of showed up for a few seconds at a time at irregular intervals to garble his lines in a ridiculous accent before getting abruptly and unceremoniously killed off.

Sorry lads, but I totally disagree with your opinions on this!

He doesn't learning anything and he's not about anything. He does things because the plot needs him to, and then he does nothing because the plot forgets he can do things, and then he inexplicably jobs to show how powerful a shitty badguy is. He's not a character. He's a disposable set piece.

At least Avengers Quicksilver exists to prove a point.

SpaceWolf

Banned
He doesn't learning anything and he's not about anything. He does things because the plot needs him to, and then he does nothing because the plot forgets he can do things, and then he inexplicably jobs to show how powerful a shitty badguy is. He's not a character. He's a disposable set piece.

At least Avengers Quicksilver exists to prove a point.

If a character exists to "prove a point" (whatever that might be), they should barely be considered a character by default.

X-Men Quicksilver had a character arc and a personality. Avengers Quicksilver had neither.

BLACKLAC

X-Men Quicksilver had a character arc and a personality. Avengers Quicksilver had neither.

Fox Quicksilver as no character arc across 2 movies, none. He's a set piece in the first and still in his mothers basement in the 2nd, 10 years later, only to leave for..... Another set piece.

Please.

Avengers Quicksilver at least sees the error of his ways and sets out to do something good about it.

duckroll

X-Men Quicksilver is a cute gimmick used for indulgent set pieces in both films he appeared in. Fun moments but ultimately adds nothing to the narrative.

Avengers Quicksilver is a sock puppet who exists only to have some forced emotional moments for Wanda's character arc. Ultimately adds nothing to the narrative.

Arguing which is better or worse is like debating if Toad is a better villain than Batroc.

Pietro literally breaks both X-Men movies he appears in by somehow having the damn speed force.

Quicksilver isn't that damned fast.

this, so much this, I hated how they did his powers.

It looked really cool in the first movie, I thought it was just stupid in Apocalypse.

But then it didn't make sense that he had no other involvement in the 1st movie. And his big scene in the 2nd was just stupid.

X-Men Quicksilver is a cute gimmick used for indulgent set pieces in both films he appeared in. Fun moments but ultimately adds nothing to the narrative.

Avengers Quicksilver is a sock puppet who exists only to have some forced emotional moments for Wanda's character arc. Ultimately adds nothing to the narrative.

Arguing which is better or worse is like debating if Toad is a better villain than Batroc.

I mean... Yeah, he's not wrong. Neither looks to have any semblance of an important role in their respective franchise.

And "Didn't see that coming?" got old real fast. It felt like they said that line way more than they did.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs

Dysun

Fox Quicksilver as no character arc across 2 movies, none. He's a set piece in the first and still in his mothers basement in the 2nd, 10 years later, only to leave for..... Another set piece.

Please.

Avengers Quicksilver at least sees the error of his ways and sets out to do something good about it.

One bad thing doesn't make another good
Neither has a character arc but at least we got two good scenes out of FOX

guek

Banned
Quicksilver's monologue to Ultron talking about how is family was killed is just...ugh. It's really bad. The movie grinds to a halt and the delivery feels really stilted.

But other than that, he's more inoffensive than anything else. He doesn't have the highs of Zip-Zap but avoids the lows as well. He's also definitely more of an actual character, though the bar for that is extremely low.

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
I'm on my phone so I apologize for the drive-by shit post, but

Apparently the Runaways cast was announced?

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Found this casting notice for Infinity War:

http://www.ajc.com/business/employm...ras-atlanta-film-jobs/FEDLQZBJ7cf2yasJQXQzJM/

Marvel’s ‘Avengers: Infinity War’

This film is the sequel to “The Avengers” and “Avengers: Age of Ultron.” Chris Hemsworth, Chris Pratt, Samuel L. Jackson and Josh Brolin are starring in the movie.

What are they looking for?

They’re looking to fill a fun background role with men and women, any ethnicity, who appear to be 18 - 50s – especially men with long hair and beards. You’ll need to be comfortable with fake blood and with wearing special effects makeup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom