• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel (comics) announces new Black Widow series from Daredevil creative team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dalek

Marvel announces new Black Widow series from Daredevil creative team

black-widow-cover_612x380.jpg

When Marvel announced their new books that would launch as part of the All-New All-Different initiative, there was one character that seemed conspicuously absent from the titles: Black Widow. That will change in early 2016, when Marvel debuts Black Widow #1 helmed by not only a brand new team, but also the entire creative team of the recently completed Daredevil series: writer Mark Waid, artist Chris Samnee, colorist Matthew Wilson and letterer Joe Caramagna.

The new series comes on the heels of Nathan Edmondson and Phil Noto’s acclaimed run, which recently concluded at the beginning of Secret Wars. And with the character’s first ever YA novel set to debut next week, there’s never been a more relevant time to continue telling Natasha’s story. EW spoke with Waid, Samnee, and Marvel editor Jake Thomas to find out where they plan to take the newest incarnation of Black Widow, and what we can expect.

ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: I know this book is going to be its own story, but Natasha has very specific themes that have been prominent throughout all of her series. Are we going to see any kind of a continuation in terms of the way she evolved at the end of the most recent run?
MARK WAID: It’s a little bit of both. It’s similar to way we approached Daredevil, in that we’re not picking up specifically from the end of the previous issue or specifically from any one moment. But we’re acknowledging that, and making use of the fact that what happened in the previous series happened, and using some of that stuff as a springboard. And it is, by Marvel time, at least eight months later. It’s not the next day, anyway. Especially in issue 2 in particular, we’re sort of spring boarding off of some of the previous events, but not so specifically that anyone should feel like they’re missing anything if they didn’t read the previous run.

CHRIS SAMNEE: It’s not a necessity to have read the previous series. Certainly, it wouldn’t hurt, but you should be able to jump right into this one.

Like most of Marvel’s established characters, Natasha has a great, rich history, and there’s always a ton to work with. As writers and artists, what are you both looking forward to exploring in this book?
WAID: Even more than Daredevil, this is very much a partnership. Not only are we bringing the rest of the creative team over, but Chris and I are going back and forth on story, and Chris is doing a lot of the heavy lifting. With Daredevil, he came on after we were already running for a year. Being able to launch something from the ground zero with Chris means that he gets even more of a chance to put his vision into it.

SAMNEE: I try to think of it as how we would do a creator-owned book, but we’re just doing it at Marvel with an established character. I’m just having a ton of fun playing with an established character in a world we all know, but without any constraints. We can kind of do whatever. We’ve started coming up with a new Big Bad for Widow — she’s had a few big opponents over the years, but I think this is the biggest threat to her.

WAID: What I always ask myself going into these things — and I ask Chris and we talk about it — is always, “What’s the worst thing that could possibly happen to this character?” Because that tells you everything about them. That tells you what they’re made of, that tells you what you’re putting them up against, their greatest fears or greatest threat. It just makes it a real fight, and that’s what we talked about with this. And that’s kind of where we’re starting with this.

Great news-That Daredevil run is one for the books and I was bummed that team was leaving.

the last new black widow series started only in 2014. they are already rebootingish.

The newest series is beautiful but a little short on other things.

Dalek

the last new black widow series started only in 2014. they are already rebootingish.

The newest series is beautiful but a little short on other things.

Eh, that used to bother me-but if they are breaking it to differentiate Creator Runs, it's ok with me.

Sounds awesome. I'm still bummed that they left Daredevil, but this is a good alternative. At least the team stayed together.

JZA

Love Waid and Samnee, and it makes sense for Waid to do a title like this after the Princess Leia title.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom