• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Heroes 2015 |1 year Anniversary Thread| You should be playing this game now

KePoW

Banned
Honestly, pick one(s) you're going to enjoy playing. Don't buy an expensive hero thinking he/she is going to lay waste to everything. Given the power of all the various heroes, I'm 100% convinced the pricing of heroes is set by popularity and nothing else. Seriously. I main Storm right now, and she's a monster. I picked her because a) I like AoE damage and b) I dig air/electricity based powers.

Storm is a 450G hero, Iron Man is a 1450G hero. Do I think Iron Man is 3.2x as fun to play as Storm, or 3.2x as powerful? Absolutely not. The same with Deadpool and Spider-Man. Cheap heroes are fantastic fun and super strong, too.

If you're having a hard time choosing, post the heroes you are considering (either here on in the MH thread), and we'll be glad to give you our opinions on which route you should consider taking.

Agree with nicoga.

In a game where the Marvel characters are the big draw, you should only buy/get the characters you like. Not based on how much they cost.

The more expensive characters have no correlation to "better".

KePoW

Banned
Yea I wasn't expecting expensive heroes to be more powerful. I feel I'd enjoy playing Hulk or Deadpool, which happen to be more expensive. I also finished the game with Storm last year and I know she's decent. I just thought if I were to buy the Black Widow for example who costs 450g and pick up a 900-1350g hero with the BOGO, that would be pretty nice. I could buy 3 450g heroes and get a total of upto 6 new heroes for the price of Deadpool alone.

I am having a hard time choosing but it's not because of wanting a stronger hero. There are so many of the Marvel Heroes I'd like to be able to play.

Ok, if you're specifically referring to the BOGO offer, then cost might be a factor.

But just keep in mind it's completely random and a crapshoot. Don't set yourself up to expect getting a higher-tier one for free =)

Ok, if you're specifically referring to the BOGO offer, then cost might be a factor.

But just keep in mind it's completely random and a crapshoot. Don't set yourself up to expect getting a higher-tier one for free =)

Or if you are like me...getting anything that you don't already have...including the hero you just bought.

What do you do if you get a dupe hero? The boxes can't be traded so what happens?
The hero it's a dupe of can use them to increase their ultimate's power.

I was pretty jazzed getting a random hero from one of the promo codes earlier in the year as I was happy to take anyone as I only had Storm. I opened it up and got... Storm. :X

garath

The hero it's a dupe of can use them to increase their ultimate's power.

I was pretty jazzed getting a random hero from one of the promo codes earlier in the year as I was happy to take anyone as I only had Storm. I opened it up and got... Storm. :X

You can still use it to raise the level of your Ultimate Power. That's actually the only way you can raise that.

Iiiiiinteresting.

I want to post my experience with the game recently as I'm one of the converts. I tried this game in beta and release and I hated it. I didn't like the starter hero I picked (Thing) and didn't really enjoy the story.

I played D3:RoS until paragon 200 when I got frustrated with the RNG and decided to give this a shot again. The game is so much better now. The splinters are fair, the legendary quests are like bounties, I like Midtown Madness/X-Def/and the Terminals in general. I feel like there's so much more to do compared to other ARPGS (though I never got too deep into Path of Exile) and leveling my 6th character is still enjoyable and can't wait to jump into my 7th (Nightcrawler!).

My favorite aspect is probably the speed. I love how every character has a movement power that is only limited by energy. I hated the limitations of movement powers in Diablo 3. Teleporting across entire maps is awesome. I like feeling awesome in these games.

I started a new account to pick a different starter and played Human Torch who was much better than my first experience with Thing. I got so many heroes just from giveaways and splinters that I actually decided to spend money to give thanks to the devs.

Speaking of the devs, I love how open to feedback they are. All the events are great too. In terms of customer service it is such a different experience from my time with D3.

Lord Phol

This right here is why I love the developers so much:

https://forums.marvelheroes.com/discussion/98818/good-stream-right-now
https://forums.marvelheroes.com/discussion/98822/vote-now-for-rocket-raccon-next/p1

For everyone that missed it. Doomsaw who's the Creative Designer at Gazillion has teased and "trolled" the forums all day about suprises that might be anniversary related. He then makes the first thread pointing to a random stream, and just minutes after convinces everyone to vote for deadpool with the second thread. He proceeds to give the streamer 1500Gs (currency for buying stuff in their store) so he can buy the Lady Deadpool costume, and then makes everyone vote for Rocket Racoon as he posts crazy teases all over the place.

It's just so crazy and fun and I love it xD.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Yea I wasn't expecting expensive heroes to be more powerful. I feel I'd enjoy playing Hulk or Deadpool, which happen to be more expensive. I also finished the game with Storm last year and I know she's decent. I just thought if I were to buy the Black Widow for example who costs 450g and pick up a 900-1350g hero with the BOGO, that would be pretty nice. I could buy 3 450g heroes and get a total of upto 6 new heroes for the price of Deadpool alone.

I am having a hard time choosing but it's not because of wanting a stronger hero. There are so many of the Marvel Heroes I'd like to be able to play.

To be completely honest, if you want to play Deadpool, grab Deadpool. I mean, sure - the allure of up to 6 new heroes is huge, but if you're buying cheap heroes just to gamble for a more expensive one, expect to be bummed out. I was lucky in that I had 500 something G and bought Taskmaster (I wanted Squirrel Girl, but didn't have the G). My BOGO character ended up being Gambit, which is rad (and one I wanted at some point).

Now, if you see 2 or 3 cheaper heroes you think you'll enjoy, grab them and pray to RNGesus for a good BOGO! But as an example, I have Black Panther or Daredevil (can't remember which) from way back when, and I have zero intention of playing him anytime soon. He was an extra in a pre-order pack I bought...

But again - if playing as Deadpool or Hulk will entice you to keep playing and enjoying the game (and maybe buy more characters?), buy him now so you can dive into the fun. :)

parasight

Finally got the Mac beta to work and I find out it's just a Test Server so it won't save any of the progress. I guess it's just weird since it's a beta for a game that's already out so I just wanted to be able to play it on a different OS. Didn't expect it would be an actual beta, since the term has kinda lost its meaning with all this Early Access stuff.

That said, apparently Open Beta is on Live Servers

inky

yzMAcKA.jpg

HNGGGGGG

When did they remove 1280x720 as a resolution option? My monitor is 16:9 my PC can't handle 1920x1080 or 1600x900. Yet, the 720 option that I used ages ago is completely gone.

Wallach

When did they remove 1280x720 as a resolution option? My monitor is 16:9 my PC can't handle 1920x1080 or 1600x900. Yet, the 720 option that I used ages ago is completely gone.

I still have it. Did you scroll up within the resolution drop-down box?

Lord Phol

Did not expect the Surfer, sneaky Gaz being sneaky as usual! I think this means we'll get some cosmic theme events and chapter after the Surtur raid. With the upcoming Rocket rework, GoTG team-ups, Starlord and Nova.

TDLink

Did not expect the Surfer, sneaky Gaz being sneaky as usual! I think this means we'll get some cosmic theme events and chapter after the Surtur raid. With the upcoming Rocket rework, GoTG team-ups, Starlord and Nova.

It's possible, but I think all of that is really just indication of them wanting to cross promote with the GotG movie. I mean Rocket is the only cosmic hero in the game currently, so it makes sense to add more anyways. I think they've teased the post-Surtur raid as well and it isn't cosmic-related, although Skrulls are what they intend to have as the next story chapter.

Lord Phol

It's possible, but I think all of that is really just indication of them wanting to cross promote with the GotG movie. I mean Rocket is the only cosmic hero in the game currently, so it makes sense to add more anyways. I think they've teased the post-Surtur raid as well and it isn't cosmic-related, although Skrulls are what they intend to have as the next story chapter.

Skrulls are a big part of cosmic marvel and they are space aliens :p, so even if don't get new areas in space or so it will still have some cosmic theme to it! :D

But again - if playing as Deadpool or Hulk will entice you to keep playing and enjoying the game (and maybe buy more characters?), buy him now so you can dive into the fun. :)

Well I ended up buying Hulk and Black Widow. Got Colossus and Emma Frost along with them. Not too bad I'd say.

Lord Phol

Free random hero boxes at http://massively.joystiq.com/marvel-heroes-2015-beta/ (thanks Declarius!). One per account:

Since I don't know if there's a time limit or not I'm just gonna post my keys here for people to try (if you successfully redeem one please post in this thread saying so):

MSLY-RHBX-XHWA-GEWG - TAKEN
MSLY-RHBX-WN3B-E68F
MSLY-RHBX-MPR5-9VIO
MSLY-RHBX-49MM-M0S4 - TAKEN

You redeem them at www.marvelheroes.com

Edit: It seems som keys redeemed from the site dosen't work, so if you haven't managed to get one to work just keep going (you can clear cache/web history to get more keys).

Ploid 3.0

Happy one year anniversary guys. I joined in Dec though, I won't let that stop me from enjoying the gifts though.

Ok I gotta figure out how to leave the supergroup I'm in and join the GAF's SG. I joined one at the start but with raids I want to do it with gaf people. I hope it's good.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
http://forums.marvelheroes.com/discussion/99263/marvel-heroes-2015-1-0-patch-notes#latest

patch notes are up. out today seems to be:

Surtur Raid
SHIELD Omega System (Paragon levels or whatever you want to call it)
Shared quests
Items can now take powers to rank 50

It's old hat to go over how they turned this game around. Even more impressive is they keep making worthwhile additions on a near monthly basis. Damn.

Silver Surfer sometime this month also.

oh and I know it was last week... but happy 1 year anniversary to marvel heroes. 1 year ago I seriously didn't think I'd ever be saying those words (neither 'happy' nor '1 year anniversary'), and as of now it is my most played game on steam with over 200 hours. and for a f2p game that is absolutely completely free to play, the only f2p game I've sunk more money into is Hearthstone.

Gaz deserves every bit of success they get from this game.

What is the GAF SG?

inky

1 year ago and after the random hero token debacle (ironic considering the current giveaway, I know) I thought this was going to be a $60 game for me that I'd play for a few months and then forget about. Here I am, more than a thousand hours later and hundreds of dollars in >.< anticipating the first year anniversary probably even more than I did the release of the game. Gaz deserves all the credit.

How far we've come. Happy anniversary guys. I'll wait till the new page to post the updated anniversary info although everyone knows about it already.

Is there a way to get more stash space without spending real money. Picked this game up again because of this thread. I played the game when it first came out and I remember them giving more currency because I had multiple stash spaces in the few days I played.

Also, how do I just the gaf supergroup

If you have a level 30, one of the presents this week is a free STASH tab, but other than that, you have to pay real money for more inventory space.

LuuKyK

Is there a way to get more stash space without spending real money. Picked this game up again because of this thread. I played the game when it first came out and I remember them giving more currency because I had multiple stash spaces in the few days I played.

If you login from today to the 12th (I think) they will be gifting a free stash tab (along with other 364 other gifts).

Edit: Beaten.

Drayco21

You reach level 30 ASAP and get a free Stash as one of the 365 anniversary items. Other than that, no, sadly.

inky

Post your in-game name and once the game is up someone will send you an invite =)

Same goes to anyone else who wants to join. We'll probably be raiding this weekend and stuff, but if there are enough new people you can party all together at the low levels too.

Post your in-game name and once the game is up someone will send you an invite =)

Same goes to anyone else who wants to join. We'll probably be raiding this weekend and stuff, but if there are enough new people you can party all together at the low levels too.

LactoseIntolerant

Ploid 3.0

Does everyone get stone of jordan? Not sure who I want to put it on. I never reused a armor, seem expensive to unbind.

Top Bottom