• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Heroes 2015 |1 year Anniversary Thread| You should be playing this game now

Chromax

I just started again with Doctor Strange and I have to say this game way more fun now! I definitely see myself playing this for a bit more now on.

Ketch

So the thing I didn't like about this game was the open questing areas... especially near the beginning. I kind of just want to go solo you know? If I start out and pick wolverine for instance, I didn't like running around with 40 other wolverines there... it just kind of killed it for me.

Have the added anything that lets you just play solo? without random hero clones all over?

There is no way to play a zone completely solo I don't think. All of the areas are instanced, so there must be some maximum number of players per area, not sure what the number is. I don't think at this point you would see more than 50 characters all in the same area at any one time.

It's going to happen more with "flavor of the month" characters. Psylocke is the newest right now, so you end up seeing maybe 4-5 Psylockes when you go around a zone. I would try it again, the gameplay outshines that weird occurrence of seeing many of the same hero hanging around.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
There's also so many costumes now, makes meeting "clones" less annoying (never really annoyed me anyway)

Dec

So the thing I didn't like about this game was the open questing areas... especially near the beginning. I kind of just want to go solo you know? If I start out and pick wolverine for instance, I didn't like running around with 40 other wolverines there... it just kind of killed it for me.

Have the added anything that lets you just play solo? without random hero clones all over?

In the more open areas there will always be people around (though a lot more in the low levels) but almost all actual quests are in mini-dungeons that lead off from the open area. Once you go into the dungeon you can use an option in the settings menu to never automatically join other players and after that you will always be alone in them.

I assume this is what you want as 99% of the story beats and things you would want to slowly go through would be in these instanced areas.

Edit: For the open areas specifically, as I said that problem goes away a lot as you get into the second difficulty and onwards.

Vecks

There are things you can do solo. Terminals, Holo-sim. For the story mode, the important quest areas are instanced, and you can turn off auto-partying.

The "world" areas can't go solo because of the MMO nature of it, but you really aren't gonna run into 40 wolverines because most people have already done the story. People really don't play story mode much anymore. At most in a story "world" area, you may see 10 people max, usually less (perhaps new players or doing LQs), and the chances of seeing the same hero get slimmer every month because a new hero (or two) gets added every month.

Ketch

thanks for the info guys, I am re downloading it. I really wanted to like it when it came out , loved xmen legends/marvel alliance series on consoles, so hopefully I can get more into it this time.

inky

I'm actually constantly surprised of how diverse the characters running around are. Yea, I mean, sometimes you find 3 Gambits standing together in the stash, or when a new hero comes out you see plenty of it, but in general, and as someone who does story mode more than the average I can say I always see different guys in the same areas as me.

It actually made me believe at some point that there's something under the hood making sure you get world areas where there are not many similar heroes running around. I wonder if it is only my imagination.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I'm actually constantly surprised of how diverse the characters running around are. Yea, I mean, sometimes you find 3 Gambits standing together in the stash, or when a new hero comes out you see plenty of it, but in general, and as someone who does story mode more than the average I can say I always see different guys in the same areas as me.

It actually made me believe at some point that there's something under the hood making sure you get world areas where there are not many similar heroes running around. I wonder if it is only my imagination.

You don't do it more than me

... :(

Lord Phol

I've noticed this too, so I think you are on to something!

Indignate

So my biggest problem with this game was the (to me) egregious amounts of item currencies. From Odin Marks to Cube Shards to Infinity Splinters to a Stark Resilient ID Card...

They really want you to buy more stashes, don't they? I'm at least learning all the different types and what they do and how to get most of them though, so that helps.

My second biggest problem is the pricing. Costumes costing the same amount as the characters themselves or even more so seems weird. I'm guessing more work goes into that stuff than the abilities and such then? Maybe if being able to bypass the default costume and get a different one instead when you first purchase a hero was a thing, it wouldn't seem that weird. But whatever, F2P I guess. I'm sure people shell out the money and that's why the pricing is the way it is. That disconnect though probably won't ever allow me to do so.

There's a bunch of other stuff that sort of irks me, but it's all things that I'm getting over though. I'm actually enjoying the game much more than I did my first go around. Spent a lot of time in Midtown today during the 3 hour boost grabbing all kinds of items and upgrading the crafter. Sad that heroic difficulty causes me to start over though, since I'm pretty sure I overleveled for the story on normal.

Dec

So my biggest problem with this game was the (to me) egregious amounts of item currencies. From Odin Marks to Cube Shards to Infinity Splinters to a Stark Resilient ID Card...

They really want you to buy more stashes, don't they? I'm at least learning all the different types and what they do and how to get most of them though, so that helps.

My second biggest problem is the pricing. Costumes costing the same amount as the characters themselves or even more so seems weird. I'm guessing more work goes into that stuff than the abilities and such then? Maybe if being able to bypass the default costume and get a different one instead when you first purchase a hero was a thing, it wouldn't seem that weird. But whatever, F2P I guess. I'm sure people shell out the money and that's why the pricing is the way it is. That disconnect though probably won't ever allow me to do so.

There's a bunch of other stuff that sort of irks me, but it's all things that I'm getting over though. I'm actually enjoying the game much more than I did my first go around. Spent a lot of time in Midtown today during the 3 hour boost grabbing all kinds of items and upgrading the crafter. Sad that heroic difficulty causes me to start over though, since I'm pretty sure I overleveled for the story on normal.

Odin marks don't take an inventory slot and in general I don't think you have any issues with stash space until you've played over 100 hours and are saving artifacts and uniques. Just ignore crafting supplies until 50+ when the highest tier drops and keep one stasck each. With the free stash page coming in two days that should help as well.

Cosmetics being more than character unlocks is just common among many f2p games using this model. I'm fine with optional cosmetics being expensive if it means gameplay relevant things are a bit cheaper.

Edit: doing MM during this event would definitely get you significantly more uniques than you would usually get.

garath

Hawkeye was my starter and I found him to be a lot of fun.

A few tips on him:

• Don't put points into his melee skills (passives aside)
  • Tear Gas Arrow is his best move
  • Wave of Arrows looks good, but isn't
  • Twin Pym Arrow is his best basic attack

Just saw this. Passing this on to my buddy. Thanks :) Hopefully he'll enjoy Hawkeye more. If we enjoy it, I forsee getting on the BOGO to pick up a couple more heroes.

Of course I want Psylocke of all of them lol. Gambit was always one of my favorites too though. He any good?

Lord Phol

Just saw this. Passing this on to my buddy. Thanks :) Hopefully he'll enjoy Hawkeye more. If we enjoy it, I forsee getting on the BOGO to pick up a couple more heroes.

Of course I want Psylocke of all of them lol. Gambit was always one of my favorites too though. He any good?

Gambit is great atm! He has some of the best visuals in the game, lots of variety in builds with ranged, melee or hybrid and he feels very authentic to the comics. Only thing that people seems to dislike about him is his dialogue :p.

TDLink

Haven't tried Gambit. The characters I have currently played (and can give some tips on) are:

• Hawkeye
  • Doctor Strange
  • Spider-Man
  • Rocket Raccoon

and I'm currently leveling Loki.

I guess so far I've had a preference towards ranged characters...although I have really enjoyed Spidey too and have been using a mostly melee build with him. Rocket is a bit different from traditional ranged too.

big_erk

Nope. Heroes were changed around 7 months ago to:

Captain America, Punisher, Black Panther, Storm, Colossus, Hawkeye, Black Widow, Human Torch, Luke Cage.

lukecagemarvelheroes_zpsdaaf7d68.jpg

Luke Cage is currently my favorite hero. Just got him to level 60. Gotta get the classic Power Man costume though.

This never bothers me at all. In fact I get a kick out of it. A few weeks ago I teamed up with 4 other players and we were all sporting Rocket Raccoon in his timely / office costume.We were quite a sight to see.

lukecagemarvelheroes_zpsdaaf7d68.jpg

Luke Cage is currently my favorite hero. Just got him to level 60. Gotta get the classic Power Man costume though.

Christmas he needs a thinner chain for his belt.

Marc

Hmm, reading some of the comments here has me interested. F2P is like a dead on arrival message to me but have to admit after playing a bit of Warframe, I have softened a little on it.

Would love a Marvel open world game, entirely single-player focused but apparently single player focused games don't make money *cough*bullshit*cough* so will try this as the next best thing.

Hmm, reading some of the comments here has me interested. F2P is like a dead on arrival message to me but have to admit after playing a bit of Warframe, I have softened a little on it.

Would love a Marvel open world game, entirely single-player focused but apparently single player focused games don't make money *cough*bullshit*cough* so will try this as the next best thing.

Try Lego Marvel Super Heroes.

bigkrev

I kind of want to play this now that I see they have a Uncanny X-men 2012 Cyclopes costume. How is the B1G1 sale they are doing? Is it always just a free 2nd Starter?

I think I picked this up last year when it was new and picked Hawkeye as my starter, but have maybe played 45 minutes since then

big_erk

This never bothers me at all. In fact I get a kick out of it. A few weeks ago I teamed up with 4 other players and we were all sporting Rocket Raccoon in his timely / office costume.We were quite a sight to see.

Christmas he needs a thinner chain for his belt.

Don't be a punk. That chain is used for whupping ass! ;)

TDLink

I kind of want to play this now that I see they have a Uncanny X-men 2012 Cyclopes costume. How is the B1G1 sale they are doing? Is it always just a free 2nd Starter?

I think I picked this up last year when it was new and picked Hawkeye as my starter, but have maybe played 45 minutes since then

B1G1 only works with real money (what the game calls "G"), not Eternity Splinters. When you buy a hero you also get a random hero box, that could have any hero in it except for Psylocke (because she is new). It is not just starters. I have gotten Doctor Strange and Spider-Man from randoms (they are in the current highest pricing tier). Same thing with costumes. You buy a costume and you will get a random costume, could be anything (and likely won't be for a character you have, but you can save it until you do have them).

Hawkeye is still a starter, but if you want to try a different one you can make a new account and restart since 45 minutes of playtime is nothing.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
There's also so many costumes now, makes meeting "clones" less annoying (never really annoyed me anyway)

by giving so many options and making them all RMT, thus making cosmetics the only real RMT.... it REALLY allows this game to sidestep one of the original desires/intents of "loot"; i.e. to look badass.

Honestly this game is a PRIME example of a lot of things done right.

f2p monetization
turning a "horrible DOA" game around into a success
growth and support of a f2p title
respect and handling of a licensed property
etc

Nope, its random. I won't say its completely random because starter heroes seem to hit more. This weekend I bought Colossus and got Invisible Woman. Then I bought Colossus's classic costume and got Female Loki enhanced costume. However one time I bought Human torch and got human torch.

big_erk

by giving so many options and making them all RMT, thus making cosmetics the only real RMT.... it REALLY allows this game to sidestep one of the original desires/intents of "loot"; i.e. to look badass.

Honestly this game is a PRIME example of a lot of things done right.

f2p monetization
turning a "horrible DOA" game around into a success
growth and support of a f2p title
respect and handling of a licensed property
etc

I played the beta and purchased a single character founder's pack. When the game went live, I played for about 2 or 3 weeks and lost interest. I came back when they started the overhaul and was surprised at how much the game had improved. Now would be a good time for anyone on the fence to try the game during the anniversary event. The boosts should be insane.

bigkrev

B1G1 only works with real money (what the game calls "G"), not Eternity Splinters. When you buy a hero you also get a random hero box, that could have any hero in it except for Psylocke (because she is new). It is not just starters. I have gotten Doctor Strange and Spider-Man from randoms (they are in the current highest pricing tier). Same thing with costumes. You buy a costume and you will get a random costume, could be anything (and likely won't be for a character you have, but you can save it until you do have them).

Hawkeye is still a starter, but if you want to try a different one you can make a new account and restart since 45 minutes of playtime is nothing.

Nope, its random. I won't say its completely random because starter heroes seem to hit more. This weekend I bought Colossus and got Invisible Woman. Then I bought Colossus's classic costume and got Female Loki enhanced costume. However one time I bought Human torch and got human torch.

Thanks. I'll probably buy Cyclopes and his costume (I saw there is a bundle on the website for Cyke, Uncanny Costume and 2 others for $15, so I would guess that's the max price buying the character and the costume would be in-game), as that's pretty much the only reason I want to play, but having the extra character in case I end up liking the game is a bonus

Marc

Try Lego Marvel Super Heroes.

Yeah, got it on PS4, found it boring and 'kiddy' to be honest. Stopped playing some time after being forced to play characters I don't like for the 50th time. Mostly only really play when my daughter wants me to, which is rare, she prefers the playroom. :) Need to finish it though.

This game seems a bit more adult so hopefully get on better with.

gazele

Banned
Started playing the mac open beta last night, I basically can buy anything i want which is cool (characters too)

I know all of the stuff will go away, but I'm gonna use the opportunity to try out lots of different characters

Luke Cage is awesome so far, love calling in Iron Fist

KePoW

Banned
Started playing the mac open beta last night, I basically can buy anything i want which is cool (characters too)

I know all of the stuff will go away, but I'm gonna use the opportunity to try out lots of different characters

Luke Cage is awesome so far, love calling in Iron Fist

Luke Cage is a beast. I have every single character in the real retail game to 60, and Luke Cage is my #1 most fun.

bigkrev

Ugh, of course this game uses the shitty model of making you buy currency in amounts that always leaves you with leftover points you can't actually use.

Interest killed. I downloaded the game and figured out my login info too...

Vecks

Defeats really bothers me.

Are there a lot of limited time stuff you can't get anymore during the last year?

Not sure what you mean by limited time stuff.

If you're talking about event items, like certain holiday-themed uniques, those only happen during holidays, and perhaps they'll bring them back next time.

If you're talking about other stuff like free costumes (holiday hulk and iron man heartbreaker), you can't get them for free anymore, but those costumes are in the store now.

Sometimes they'll give a free random hero/costume box (I think last time was maybe a month or 2 ago?), but those codes don't work anymore.

Wallach

Oh yeah, new players should also check this page regularly:

http://orcz.com/Marvel_Heroes:_Promo_Codes

There are often promo codes for small free things like consumables that go out with their promotional e-mails. I'm not sure if any of the current ones listed are already expired, but some of them should still work and I'd expect plenty more to roll in with the anniversary event.

TDLink

I like playing Rocket quite a bit, but I think he's a poor choice for a starter. He is a non-standard character that plays a bit odd and really needs his higher level skills to get going.

Lord Phol

I like playing Rocket quite a bit, but I think he's a poor choice for a starter. He is a non-standard character that plays a bit odd and really needs his higher level skills to get going.

I think he will be quite awesome after his rework that's coming with the GoTG movie launch. They've confirmed that it's their most expensive rework to date, also their CEO Brevik has a RR avatar and signature on the forums :p.

Also new tease (lol):

P0jThxE.jpg

dlauv

I tried this back in Closed Beta and a little after it was released. I'm a huge Marvel fan, but it just didn't seem too great.

I really like the Superior Spider-Man and Big Boss Punisher costumes, and it's great to hear the game's improved. That's makes it kind of tempting to play again. Although I try, I don't end up sticking with MMOs for very long, so I think I'll hold out on my first playthrough until Blade becomes selectable.

Finally downloaded it and got into the game. I feel lost after a year of not playing it, but that's not a problem as I'll start fresh with a new hero anyway. Thing is, I can't decide which one to buy. Is it better to buy 2-3 cheap ones and fill out your roster hoping to get a good (i.e. expensive one) or just buy the one you want and play with that.

Right now with the Buy One Get One going on you could buy a cheap hero that might be fun to play and then hope the random box gives you one of the more expensive characters. I've gotten a couple of the 1350G heroes this way.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Finally downloaded it and got into the game. I feel lost after a year of not playing it, but that's not a problem as I'll start fresh with a new hero anyway. Thing is, I can't decide which one to buy. Is it better to buy 2-3 cheap ones and fill out your roster hoping to get a good (i.e. expensive one) or just buy the one you want and play with that.

Honestly, pick one(s) you're going to enjoy playing. Don't buy an expensive hero thinking he/she is going to lay waste to everything. Given the power of all the various heroes, I'm 100% convinced the pricing of heroes is set by popularity and nothing else. Seriously. I main Storm right now, and she's a monster. I picked her because a) I like AoE damage and b) I dig air/electricity based powers.

Storm is a 450G hero, Iron Man is a 1450G hero. Do I think Iron Man is 3.2x as fun to play as Storm, or 3.2x as powerful? Absolutely not. The same with Deadpool and Spider-Man. Cheap heroes are fantastic fun and super strong, too.

If you're having a hard time choosing, post the heroes you are considering (either here on in the MH thread), and we'll be glad to give you our opinions on which route you should consider taking.

Ugh, of course this game uses the shitty model of making you buy currency in amounts that always leaves you with leftover points you can't actually use.

Interest killed. I downloaded the game and figured out my login info too...

If you've got your eyes on specific things, just buy the pack off the website. The G currency system is fine in this game.

Honestly, pick one(s) you're going to enjoy playing. Don't buy an expensive hero thinking he/she is going to lay waste to everything. Given the power of all the various heroes, I'm 100% convinced the pricing of heroes is set by popularity and nothing else. Seriously. I main Storm right now, and she's a monster. I picked her because a) I like AoE damage and b) I dig air/electricity based powers.

Storm is a 450G hero, Iron Man is a 1450G hero. Do I think Iron Man is 3.2x as fun to play as Storm, or 3.2x as powerful? Absolutely not. The same with Deadpool and Spider-Man. Cheap heroes are fantastic fun and super strong, too.

If you're having a hard time choosing, post the heroes you are considering (either here on in the MH thread), and we'll be glad to give you our opinions on which route you should consider taking.

Yea I wasn't expecting expensive heroes to be more powerful. I feel I'd enjoy playing Hulk or Deadpool, which happen to be more expensive. I also finished the game with Storm last year and I know she's decent. I just thought if I were to buy the Black Widow for example who costs 450g and pick up a 900-1350g hero with the BOGO, that would be pretty nice. I could buy 3 450g heroes and get a total of upto 6 new heroes for the price of Deadpool alone.

I am having a hard time choosing but it's not because of wanting a stronger hero. There are so many of the Marvel Heroes I'd like to be able to play.

Top Bottom