• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Heroes 2015 |1 year Anniversary Thread| You should be playing this game now

Dec

So is there a point where I should just stop picking up items?

Seems like every enemy drops 2-5 of them. I've already done away with the greys and I'm just throwing all the rest into the crafter. Is that what I should be doing with all this stuff? I haven't seen any reason to have money at this point in the game (lvl 15) so directly selling them doesn't seem beneficial.

Ignore everything below blue. Donate everything to your Crafter, then Enchanter. Maybe enchanter to 5-10 earlier because getting crafter to 20 will take you a very long time.

With no town portal mechanics, it isn't worth picking up everything.

inky

why is there no omega system info in the OP Inky? its a big new thing

Because the OP is long as it is already, and it focuses more on how it has changed from launch till now. There's going to be a new post next week with more details on the future of the game, and it will include things revealed during the anniversary period. ;)

Wallach

I didn't bother picking up anything below blues when leveling my crafters. Nowadays you might want to pay some attention to the greens though since those might be Team-Up gears. After next patch there should be at least blues dropping for Team-Ups though so at that point I'd probably ignore everything green and white.

KePoW

Banned
I didn't bother picking up anything below blues when leveling my crafters. Nowadays you might want to pay some attention to the greens though since those might be Team-Up gears. After next patch there should be at least blues dropping for Team-Ups though so at that point I'd probably ignore everything green and white.

Yeah I hope they make this change soon, because I'm tired of looking at green items.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
the real Black Panther

7XXvdui.png

Kane1345

Just started playing this again and I have a question: When/how can we craft new costumes? Thanks to the OP btw, I really am having way more fun with it. I dropped it after the first week it came out

KePoW

Banned
Just started playing this again and I have a question: When/how can we craft new costumes? Thanks to the OP btw, I really am having way more fun with it. I dropped it after the first week it came out

Your Crafter needs to be level 20 first. So make sure you donate everything to the Crafter to raise its level.

Vecks

Been in Mac closed beta for a week and it straight up doesn't work. They better get their shit together for open beta.

I guess that's why there's no set ETA on the open beta. The original PC closed beta was pretty messy too. Took them quite a while to get it mostly stable.

BokehKing

Banned
This is a game I'm guessing will end up on the consoles at some point. When I first started to play this game, sometime last year I was pretty addicted to it but had zero idea what I was doing with all the random items I picked up. Then Diablo 3 came out on 360 and I forgot all about it : /

Thanks for this thread I'm going to get back into it.

zlatko

Banned
I am downloading as we speak. I love D3, and figured this may be a good alternative since I'm fairly burnt out on D3 at the moment.

I'm just not sold on any of the heroes at the moment. I know Nova was supposed to have released by now, but it'll end up being later this year which stinks since I'd just play him right away and be done with it.

Still between Tasky, Spidey, Cyclops, Iron Man, and maybe Daredevil or Hawkeye since they have cool alt costumes.

I just started playing this game about 2 weeks ago and I'm seriously addicted. As a big fan of ARPGS in the Diablo vein this is a really great game. Plus it's Marvel, and they stick to those guns hard. I think also seeing how much the Devs really care about the game and are so open with the community made me love it even more. When I first started playing I told myself I wouldn't put any money into it, but man I just WANTED to pay for it after 2 weeks hardcore playing the game so I spilled some money on the current Buy One Get One sale. I don't regret it at all.

Voror

Very interesting. Though I have no idea who to pick. If Nova or Star Lord were available I'd probably go with one of them. Is the game forgiving towards tinkering with builds?

Wallach

Still between Tasky, Spidey, Cyclops, Iron Man, and maybe Daredevil or Hawkeye since they have cool alt costumes.

Of those I would recommend Taskmaster or Daredevil, personally. Both are really strong heroes, with good design. Taskmaster's my personal favorite as I like being able to have good engagement tools at both range and melee; Daredevil's a melee monster though, and has one of my favorite costumes (Earth X).

Very interesting. Though I have no idea who to pick. If Nova or Star Lord were available I'd probably go with one of them. Is the game forgiving towards tinkering with builds?

Each character gets a kind of re-do box once throughout story mode, and since there are 3 versions of the story mode (normal, heroic, and superheroic) you get 3 of those per character. Also I think you can buy them if you really need to.

KePoW

Banned

Yes it's pretty easy to get respec potions, and you get 3 free ones per character

Wallach

Not overly, to be honest. I think they might look to ease up on the relative rarity of the "Retcon" consumable somehow (which is what you need to respec your power points). In the meantime, your best bet - outside of getting your free Retcon from one of the story missions, which you can do in each difficulty - is to download the Test Center client, where you can basically have unlimited Retcons. They basically give you a lump of Gs in the TC store, and the Retcons are 1G on test.

One other thing I'd recommend is to just pay attention to the gear drops you get, because lots of gear will actually grant you skills at a specific rank (rather than just grant bonuses to a skill), which you can use to sort of test drive powers without investing into them.

Beelzebubs

I played this hardcore at the start, having many friend in the community including the developers. The thing is, it just got boring after doing Limbo runs constantly with no real progression. The new modes just entailed grinding so it didn't make me feel any more interested.

zlatko

Banned
Of those I would recommend Taskmaster or Daredevil, personally. Both are really strong heroes, with good design. Taskmaster's my personal favorite as I like being able to have good engagement tools at both range and melee; Daredevil's a melee monster though, and has one of my favorite costumes (Earth X).

I read about Taskey and it seems his melee build > his range build overall.

Daredevil I don't personally like the character much, and then there's that god awful Ben Affleck movie which soured any love the character could have had haha.

I dig that Task gets his Udon costume though.

I may just mess with Spidey or Iron man. Both have lots of costumes that I'd dig to wear.

Maybe I should ask what are the current free available characters before a purchase ?

Wallach

I read about Taskey and it seems his melee build > his range build overall.

Daredevil I don't personally like the character much, and then there's that god awful Ben Affleck movie which soured any love the character could have had haha.

I dig that Task gets his Udon costume though.

I may just mess with Spidey or Iron man. Both have lots of costumes that I'd dig to wear.

Maybe I should ask what are the current free available characters before a purchase ?

Neither one of Task's pure melee/ranged builds are really up to par with his hybrid build right now. He needs his melee for single target killing and burst AoE, but he needs ranged for sustained AoE and layered damage, as well as debuffing.

Here's the current starter lineup, though given the 2015 rebranding I suppose it is possible they shuffle these again for the anniversary:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=114178210&postcount=37

zlatko

Banned
Neither one of Task's pure melee/ranged builds are really up to par with his hybrid build right now. He needs his melee for single target killing and burst AoE, but he needs ranged for sustained AoE and layered damage, as well as debuffing.

Here's the current starter lineup, though given the 2015 rebranding I suppose it is possible they shuffle these again for the anniversary:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=114178210&postcount=37

Based off that starting batch I will probably go with Hawkeye then.

I assume he plays askin to Demon Hunter does in Diablo ?

Voror

Each character gets a kind of re-do box once throughout story mode, and since there are 3 versions of the story mode (normal, heroic, and superheroic) you get 3 of those per character. Also I think you can buy them if you really need to.

Yes it's pretty easy to get respec potions, and you get 3 free ones per character

Not overly, to be honest. I think they might look to ease up on the relative rarity of the "Retcon" consumable somehow (which is what you need to respec your power points). In the meantime, your best bet - outside of getting your free Retcon from one of the story missions, which you can do in each difficulty - is to download the Test Center client, where you can basically have unlimited Retcons. They basically give you a lump of Gs in the TC store, and the Retcons are 1G on test.

One other thing I'd recommend is to just pay attention to the gear drops you get, because lots of gear will actually grant you skills at a specific rank (rather than just grant bonuses to a skill), which you can use to sort of test drive powers without investing into them.

That's good to know, thanks.

Narrowed it down to Daredevil, Cyclops, Doctor Strange, Loki, Black Panther or Moon Knight. Which I guess isn't that narrowed down.

Wallach

Based off that starting batch I will probably go with Hawkeye then.

I assume he plays askin to Demon Hunter does in Diablo ?

Not really. I'm not sure I'd call Hawkeye "fast," his gameplay has a much slower cadence than a DH. There are some similarities in powers; he has a power a lot like Multishot, for example.

Here's a video of someone doing a Cosmic terminal (the highest tier of difficulty of what are basically small instances where you fight a specific boss) with Hawkeye at level cap in high end gear:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqs6zrQTT3M

Edit - Note that the teleport there is from an item, not one of his base powers.

garath

Started the game today. I chose black panther. I really dig him so far. My buddy picked Hawkeye not knowing that was his one and only. He hates him Lol.

We're only around level 10 or 11 but getting the hang of it. I really hate the party system. We ended up with a random in the party the very first instance who disappeared and we had to quit the game to get rid of him. Turned off the auto join party option and so far better. But its really hard to keep track of each other in the public maps. There's no icon or coloring to indicate a party member. No trading that we could find either.

Pretty fun so far though.

Wallach

Started the game today. I chose black panther. I really dig him so far. My buddy picked Hawkeye not knowing that was his one and only. He hates him Lol.

We're only around level 10 or 11 but getting the hang of it. I really hate the party system. We ended up with a random in the party the very first instance who disappeared and we had to quit the game to get rid of him. Turned off the auto join party option and so far better. But its really hard to keep track of each other in the public maps. There's no icon or coloring to indicate a party member. No trading that we could find either.

Yeah, somehow they launched an ARPG without a trade window. A year ago. It's coming in the next patch, though.

inky

If you are early on he can maybe make another account and try another hero if he hates Hawkeye. I feel the starter options are really robust now to just soldier on with someone you don't like.

Ha that Hawkeye video made me want to try him. Still hoping to eventually get the Kate Bishop enhanced costume from the blender.

Great thread, Inky! I think I've been playing this game pretty steadily now since around February. I love leveling alts, so it's been a great game for that. Excited to see how the raids turn out.

TDLink

Hawkeye was my starter and I found him to be a lot of fun.

A few tips on him:

• Don't put points into his melee skills (passives aside)
  • Tear Gas Arrow is his best move
  • Wave of Arrows looks good, but isn't
  • Twin Pym Arrow is his best basic attack

KePoW

Banned

There's an option called "Show Party Member Arrows"

And definitely turn off "Join Party When Entering Instance"

It's a fun game. I spent a lot of money on it and bought the advanced pack back in December. But I feel like there's too much to buy. It's spread too thin. Even without buying things, the grind is real. I'm a Marvel nut too and it definitely had my attention for a long time but it wore me out. The F2P model does a disservice to the game.

garath

There's an option called "Show Party Member Arrows"

And definitely turn off "Join Party When Entering Instance"

Ahh. There's quite a few options that I feel should be turned on from the beginning. That would be one of them Lol. I'll check that out. Thanks!

Boogdud

Do they ever update the animations on characters? I had some interest in this a few months back and checked some videos and a lot of the chars had one of my biggest pet peeves in gaming, the dreaded 'ice skating'while running issue. I immediately lost interest. Nightcrawler was a really bad one I remember. Is like the running animation just doesn't match the speed of the terrain going by.

Drayco21

Do they ever update the animations on characters? I had some interest in this a few months back and checked some videos and a lot of the chars had one of my biggest pet peeves in gaming, the dreaded 'ice skating'while running issue. I immediately lost interest. Nightcrawler was a really bad one I remember. Is like the running animation just doesn't match the speed of the terrain going by.

They actually do- not sure how often they update on the whole, but during each character's 52 review and during some patches, they'll add or modify a whole bunch of animations to the characters alongside other updates.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
There's some downright megatons in those patch notes, the extra power points was unexpected

LuuKyK

The new changes and system/modes are very impressive. Just tested them all on Test Center.

For those that want some perspective, Marvel Heroes 2015 is to Marvel Heroes what Realm Reborn was to Final Fantasy XIV given their due proportions of course.

Basically when it launched it was not seen as a very good game, and with this "relaunch" they are trying to re-introduce the game on the market. I honestly hope they succeed because the game is great right now.

I'm tempted to return to this. Mainly because I want Nightcrawler - how does he play?
Need a giant patch though since I haven't played this in like 6 months.

Wallach

I'm tempted to return to this. Mainly because I want Nightcrawler - how does he play?

About how you would expect; kind of a squishy melee type who gets around that by being very elusive and bamf-y. Having the best teleport in the game and decent AoE are really nice perks for a melee character.

I can pull up one of those videos like the Hawkeye one (they're all from the same "Cosmic Kurse Speed Run" threads):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5y2ORBhliQ

One of their best designs, in my opinion.

Currently he's my "main" (at least until they update Thor). His bamf-y powers are super satisfying especially combined with his stabby powers. I have him spec'd for dodging and I think with all my buffs up he dodges over 65 percent. He's pretty frail sometimes and I'm not a huge fan of his signature move but he has several viable builds and just looks cool.

Top Bottom