• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Studios announces next 4 films

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cheebs said:
I am willing to bet hard money spidey 4 wont be out in 2 years, not a chance. I say 2011-2012.

I'd agree. They have a lot of things to work out before Spidey 4 can begin production. They need a new director, as I'm pretty sure that Sam Raimi is done with the franchise, and that may mean a new Spidey as well, as Toby is probably going to move on as well.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
jordan0386 said:
Does anyone here have that Marvel wallpaper with all the characters?
Marvel-character-composit.jpg

This-a-one?

All I could find.

Holtz said:
Because it's not the DCU. Where the FUCK is my Green Lantern movie, DC? :/

Whatever. Marvel and DC aren't just their shared universes-- and most of their best stuff isn't in their shared universes.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
The Bookerman said:
I doubt Captain america can succeed in the rest of the world unless they treat him like The ultimate version.

I guess/hope they'll rename him just "Super Soldier"... No way it'll work outside of the US with that name.

WrikaWrek

Banned
Would be Cool if the Punisher movie later this year was as cool in its own right as Iron Man is.

That one is a Marvel production too isn't it?

Outcast2004 said:
Mandarin could work... just change him from a magic character to something a little more tech based/grounded.

Titanium man, Crimson dynamo....
Armor wars.

Demon in a bottle.

Or create something new.

With Marvel having all the rights, there's nothing saying they couldn't pull a character from outside the Iron Man lore.

Another enemy in a power suit would be stupid and Mandarin would just be ridiculous.

Only thing I could really think of is another new character comes and does the whole corporate take over of Stark industries which causes Stark to booze up and become a bum. I think that would be awesome, but audiences might not find that entertaining. War Machine would most likely at least get an introduction in the movie, so that would be cool, but I don't think there could really be another big villain. Maybe there doesn't need to even be another villain and simply fighting random armies around the world would be entertaining enough. It could even get better if they work in something where the specs for the Iron Monger or Mark 1 got leaked and armies around the world began building their own versions of a power suit and that gave Iron Man/War Machine some trouble.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
WrikaWrek said:
Would be Cool if the Punisher movie later this year was as cool in its own right as Iron Man is.

From what we've seen there's very little chance of that happening.

I swear, Punisher is cursed. Of all the movies you'd think it would be the easiest to translate to film... no special effects, no crazy villains...

RubxQub

RSTEIN said:
I swear, Punisher is cursed. Of all the movies you'd think it would be the easiest to translate to film... no special effects, no crazy villains...
?

The Punisher movie with Tom Jane is awesome.

RSTEIN said:
From what we've seen there's very little chance of that happening.

They keep missing the essence of Frank Castle it seems. They try hard, but they just don't quite get there. The Dolph version was barely a "Punisher" movie, although I didn't mind the more recent Thomas Jane version. Wasn't great, but it wasn't as awful as some think.

Blader

Kung Fu Jedi said:
I'd agree. They have a lot of things to work out before Spidey 4 can begin production. They need a new director, as I'm pretty sure that Sam Raimi is done with the franchise, and that may mean a new Spidey as well, as Toby is probably going to move on as well.

Yeah, it seems that way. Both Raimi and Maguire have announced a lot of new projects over the past year, and it's looking more and more like Raimi would rather stay on as a producer than director (e.g. saying he's taking a hands-off approach to the script).

hiryu

Captain America better focus on WW2 and the Red Skull. I'm talking army fatigues with just the shield.

Ponn

Banned
I'm just not sure how a Thor movie would turn out. I keep having horrid flashbacks to Thor on Incredible Hulk. I think I would feel dirty watching this...

thor.jpg

run around. With a cape even. Now if they do it completely on Asgard that would be a totally different story.

Uncle

hiryu said:
Captain America better focus on WW2 and the Red Skull. I'm talking army fatigues with just the shield.

And then an after credits scene of SHIELD/Avengers defrosting him?

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Uncle said:
And then an after credits scene of SHIELD/Avengers defrosting him?
wow... I hope marvel is reading this, because that could seriously work. Have a self contained sequel with him going into the Atlantic at the end... and then do that. would be perfect and avoid the whole "captain america in the modern day" scenario. although on the other hand marvel has really already done that with Civil War also. although look how that turned out for him :p ZING

Weenerz

Banned
Kinda early to announce exact dates isn't it? I mean, are the scripts and casting even finished yet? Also the Thomas Jane Punisher movie was very good imo, a rated R hero movie is always a bit better than a PG version.

Cheebs

Weenerz said:
Kinda early to announce exact dates isn't it? I mean, are the scripts and casting even finished yet?
New to this arent ya? Blockbuster films tend to annouce release dates when the film is annouced, not after filming.

borghe

Weenerz said:
Kinda early to announce exact dates isn't it? I mean, are the scripts and casting even finished yet?
then you change the dates after. this is very common in the movie industry. you need to block out your dates, and especially in Marvel's case where Free Comic Book Day always runs the first Saturday in May. But even outside of that.. yeah, I guarantee if you hit up some movie sites you could already find out what's set to premiere the week before Memorial Day for at least the next two years.

Weenerz

Banned
borghe said:
then you change the dates after. this is very common in the movie industry. you need to block out your dates, and especially in Marvel's case where Free Comic Book Day always runs the first Saturday in May. But even outside of that.. yeah, I guarantee if you hit up some movie sites you could already find out what's set to premiere the week before Memorial Day for at least the next two years.

Thanks for explaining it, without coming off like a complete douche. The date thing just seemed weird.

Linkzg said:
Another enemy in a power suit would be stupid and Mandarin would just be ridiculous.

Only thing I could really think of is another new character comes and does the whole corporate take over of Stark industries which causes Stark to booze up and become a bum. I think that would be awesome, but audiences might not find that entertaining. War Machine would most likely at least get an introduction in the movie, so that would be cool, but I don't think there could really be another big villain. Maybe there doesn't need to even be another villain and simply fighting random armies around the world would be entertaining enough. It could even get better if they work in something where the specs for the Iron Monger or Mark 1 got leaked and armies around the world began building their own versions of a power suit and that gave Iron Man/War Machine some trouble.

It's going to be Mandarin. They hinted pretty strongly at it in the movie.
ten rings?
I doubt he'll be too much like his comic character. I can see him having some other Iron Man villains under his control like Blizzard, the Ghost, Titanium Man, or Crimson Dynamo.

RubxQub

Meier said:
Dude... that was one of the worst movies I've ever seen. Absolutely brutal.
What the eff?!

I didn't realize I was so alone on this :(

Cheebs

soul creator said:
as one of the few that liked Daredevil, I can relate with being on a comic book movie defense force
Daredevil sucked BUUUT the DC of Daredevil was pretty decent.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Linkzg said:

Hydra?

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Linkzg said:

Tackling the Armor Wars is a logical next step. Stark realizes that his suit ends up just like his other weapons and tries to stop them. He spirals out of control with alcohol. Rhodes steps in to be Iron Man. While Stark is on his way to recovery, he rejiggers the Mark II armor for War Machine. Both Stark and Rhodes team up in the end against Crimson Dynamo and Titanium Man and there is much rejoicing.

Mandarin would be cool to see but will need heavy revamping. How are you going to explain ten mystical rings?

Tiduz

Eurogaime
Spiderman 4?

(๏̯͡๏)

maybe its a reboot of the series? I dunno what they want to do with the story now.

ShowDog

I wasn't that excited for Ironman, thinking the whole comic book movie thing was getting played out and stale, but then I saw the movie and really enjoyed it. Can Marvel keep it up with Captain America, Thor and The Hulk? Doubtful, but we'll see.

ShowDog said:
I wasn't that excited for Ironman, thinking the whole comic book movie thing was getting played out and stale, but then I saw the movie and really enjoyed it. Can Marvel keep it up with Captain America, Thor and The Hulk? Doubtful, but we'll see.

The Hulk previews don't look all that interesting to me. I think I'll pass on that one.

Banned
borghe said:
Not true at all. Captain America =/= America. The character has a 60+ years history throughout the world and (much like superman) represents pretty universal values. If not done heavy handed towards america it could be extremely popular.
I doubt it will do very well in America. I remember people actually being offended at the "American Flag" scene in SM3.

I want to see Cap on the big screen, but I don't think Cap is going to be very successful with our new generation. Tony Stark is probably the more favorable American figure today than the blonde haired, blue eyed Yankee Steve Rogers.

borghe

I doubt it will do very well in America. I remember people actually being offended at the "American Flag" scene in SM3.

I want to see Cap on the big screen, but I don't think Cap is going to be very successful with our new generation. Tony Stark is probably the more favorable American figure today than the blonde haired, blue eyed Yankee Steve Rogers.
see, that's the problem... americans aren't happy with america right now, so to do a captain america movie, you have to do one where cap isn't too happy with america right now. fortunately there are plenty of examples of that throughout the history of the character (most recently civil war). And to stop it from being too cynical, you do it like civil war did. He still believes the ideologies that America was founded on but doesn't agree with what the current system is doing. and as I'm typing this, something like that could actually go over VERY well.

But as someone else said, another alternative to avoid all of this is to do a straight WWII movie with him being deep sixed at the end, only to be brought back for the Avengers Initiative. You could then paint him in the avengers movie as this kind of fish out of water defending ideas that simply don't exist anymore. But because the ideas he's trying to defend are good and honest at their base, he still comes off as a hero and of course still kicks major ass.

you could do cap a few different ways that doesn't have him coming off as this flag waving blue-eyed patriot while still staying true to the character and mythos.

witness

They seriously need to have the Captain America movie be set completely in WW2 for it to work with international audiences. Then at the end freeze him and at the beginning of the Avenger's movie, or after the credits end, have them find him and unfreeze him in modern times. Similar to that Avenger's animated film a couple of years back. But I do want the WW2 flick just to be a gritty awesome war film.

As for Thor, I'm really glad to hear that they're taking the epic Lotro style approach to the film. Could be amazing.

GCQuinton

AmMortal said:
Awesome, I never seen him before.

Is that Black panther? Spawn? :/

This very response (multiplied by about a million) is why he's not getting a movie :lol . There is a Black Panther animated series headed to BET, though.

harSon

Banned
Black Panther :p

I remember hearing that John Singleton was approached to do the movie, not sure if anything materialized.

Re: Mandarin-- the rings are of alien origin, they aren't magical. Unless they changed something.

Adding in outer-space elements might be too much, but it's easier to swallow than magic.

Am I the only one that thinks that making the movies share a universe (other than cute cameos) is a bad idea? i think the shared universe stuff in comics is way overdone as it is. For this reason, I was thrilled that the JLA movie got canned. I really don't know if Avengers could work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom