• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Vs Capcom Infinite: Alt Costume got shown (Cowboy Ghost Rider, Donte, etc)

vg260

It's almost like game development has gotten progressively more expensive as the gens have gone on. Why else do you think no fighting game has launched with a roster larger than mvci this gen?

Let's stop using this as a blanket excuse to give a pass to huge pricing increases on anything. We're talking about extra skins here. I have a hard time believing the cost of making an extra skin for this game costs multiple times more than one for the previous game. Alternate texture colors are trivial, so having four colors instead of one doesn't account for it. They gave us 20 colors in USFIV for each costume in a pack that was $20 for 44 costumes.

That was then this is now. Everything was cheaper last gen. Only way to send a message is to not buy it.

I'm happy with what's in there and I'm someone who bought the $90 deluxe edition.($70 with GCU)

I'll be playing this game for years so I'm not too bothered. It'll give my money's worth.

At least you can just pay for what you want. With all the loot box shit going on in other games we could be paying to get individual pieces of these costumes.

The bolded is exactly how they get away with jacking up the prices so much.

At what price increase does the "I'll be playing it for years" reasoning stop holding up? How do you gauge what that is? Isn't it reasonable to look at the same company's own previous offerings?

Has the technology required to make extra skins really become that more difficult and expensive? Haven't tools gotten better/more efficient too?

MvC3 is the first time (that I know of) that Capcom started to depict her as white instead of asian. She had fewer lines in that game so you couldn't really tell the VA wasn't Scottish. In this game's story mode though...it's obvious.

Morrigan's Japanese VA (if it's still the same woman) is so fucking iconic though.

So feast! Shadow braid! Watashi no mono ni naranai?

Cannon wise shes always been Scottish, just never had a English voice actor/lines in games until MvC3, so it made sense to give her the accent.

None of those games give you ALL costumes for free, and SFV buying costumes with FM is practically a waste because that FM is best invested in full characters.

Are the costumes 4 euros in those games as well?

Ridiculous pricing and a spat in the face of MvC fans.

EYEL1NER

MvC3 is the first time (that I know of) that Capcom started to depict her as white instead of asian. She had fewer lines in that game so you couldn't really tell the VA wasn't Scottish. In this game's story mode though...it's obvious.

Morrigan's Japanese VA (if it's still the same woman) is so fucking iconic though.

I'm gonna miss "Shadow Braid" so much...
I'll just add it to the list of "Stuff I Want Morrigan to Have Again:"
  • A new full Darkstalkers game for her to headline again.
  • Her Eternal Slumber lvl3 hyper combo
  • Her Japanese voice actor

DR2K

Banned
None of those games give you ALL costumes for free, and SFV buying costumes with FM is practically a waste because that FM is best invested in full characters.

DOA5 gave around 6 to12 unique costumes per character for free. They just had to be unlocked. Tekken 7 gives free gear pieces as does Injustice 2. Capcom gave some costumes away because of how terrible SFV was at launch.

You think Morrigan looks Asian in MvC1 or Darkstalkers 3 cover?

BadWolf

So you would rather defend MVCI's bullshit rather than commend other games for doing good?

Skittles

Let's stop using this as a blanket excuse to give a pass to huge pricing increases on anything. We're talking about extra skins here. I have a hard time believing the cost of making an extra skin for this game costs multiple times more than one for the previous game. Alternate texture colors are trivial, so having four colors instead of one doesn't account for it. They gave us 20 colors in USFIV for each costume in a pack that was $20 for 44 costumes.

At what price increase does the "I'll be playing it for years" reasoning stop holding up? How do you gauge what that is? Isn't it reasonable to look at the same company's own previous offerings?

Has the technology required to make extra skins really become that more difficult and expensive? Haven't tools gotten better/more efficient too?
Better tools doesn't mean modeling gets any easier. We can't automate the creation models so it's not really helping with cost. Current gen models have polygon counts have increased by well over 4x since last gen. Meaning even more detail for your modelers to work on. Which means they cost more to make. Some of the skins(dorammau) are pretty much remodels lol

SFV
DOA5
Tekken 7
Injustice 2

Off the top of my head.

Injustice 2 and SFV is grasping. Tekken 7's recent free DLC pack was just items you could equip. Nothing substantial so far and they just dropped some real costumes that you have to pay for. DOA5 I'll give you.

Better tools doesn't mean modeling gets any easier. We can't automate the creation models so it's not really helping with cost. Current gen models have polygon counts have increased by well over 4x since last gen. Meaning even more detail for your modelers to work on. Which means they cost more to make

I disagree with this notion. Stop defending this crap.

Hahahahahaha fucking capcom, no wonder their shit bombs. They deserve it too. Half finished games with tons of dlc priced at 4 bucks a piece. Goddamn ridiculous and just SAD.
It can still be justified in SFV because of the existence of the FM system.

The fact is it's possible to just buy the game and then never have to pay a single cent for anything that affects gameplay and that includes characters and stages.

So costumes being 4$ is understandable since that's the only incentive a lot of the dedicated community has to spend money. Plus most of those costumes are high quality AF so spending that much money on them doesn't sting so much.

Same excuse doesn't apply for MvC:I though.

You think Morrigan looks Asian in MvC1 or Darkstalkers 3 cover?

This reads as asian IMO

latest

This looks white; almost like Emma Stone with a wig on

She's my queen regardless.

kikiribu

Actually, I’d rather pay $5.99 for a character and save my FM for stages and color packs.

PSqueak

Banned
So you would rather defend MVCI's bullshit rather than commend other games for doing good?

No, i would rather point out that other games also are trying to milk players dry of their money, it's ridiculous that people want to push a narrative where somehow MVCI is the only game doing any wrong doing.

Why do you think im still waiting for a complete edition of Injustice 2 (which by the way has fucking lootboxes)? Why do you think people are waiting for SFV Arcade edition?

I feel that in recent years the only fighting game that isn't actively trying to milk players out of their money is KoF 14.

Zen Mu

Some good looking costumes in there. They should have done a Kate Bishop costume for Hawkeye though.

I see they are still going with the $30 costume packs though.... smh.

Chev

Tools have gotten better and would have gotten more efficient if the same amount of effort was involved into making a model, but it isn't. Instead those tools have opened the way to more elaborate models and materials, so even though the efficiency has improved the amount of work necessary has gone up at a faster rate.

No, i would rather point out that other games also are trying to milk players dry of their money, it's ridiculous that people want to push a narrative where somehow MVCI is the only game doing any wrong doing.

Why do you think im still waiting for a complete edition of Injustice 2 (which by the way has fucking lootboxes)? Why do you think people are waiting for SFV Arcade edition?

I feel that in recent years the only fighting game that isn't actively trying to milk players out of their money is KoF 14.

WB is one of the greediest companies out there, so thats no surprise at all. Exactly the reason I havent bought Injustice 2 is the amount of bs surrounding it. Three different editions at over 100 bucks.. ridiculous pricing. They can stuff it, even if I really liked the first game.

There is no rule about it.

It's what the market will bear. Im happy to pay $30 for the costumes and to support the game I like a lot. Someone else won't agree. That's their right.

PSqueak

Banned
All anime characters read asian to me, lol.

Because you're just filling the blanks due to anime being made in japan and often set in japan, but characters in anime style often don't look asian and non asian characters ofte look just like the characters we are told are asian.

Just look at Alpha era street fighter, all characters are drawn in that anime style.

vg260

Better tools doesn't mean modeling gets any easier. We can't automate the creation models so it's not really helping with cost. Current gen models have polygon counts have increased by well over 4x since last gen. Meaning even more detail for your modelers to work on. Which means they cost more to make. Some of the skins(dorammau) are pretty much remodels lol

So were many of the costumes for UMvC3 and USFIV.
Sorry, but I don't believe they're charging multiple times more out of necessity based on dev cost.

What if these were $6 a skin or $10? How would we know how difficult/expensive they were to make and if the price was warranted? At what point would you think something didn't seem friendly with their pricing? Should we just take any pricing they choose at face value?

EYEL1NER

The Dante colors kinda suck. The OG and Dante Alt are the only ones that look good.

It's also Wave 2 so it'll be something else for him

Wave 2 is:
Evil Ryu
Command Mission X
Major Marvel
Superior Spiderman
War Hulk

Basically all of the Exlcusive or Preorder costumes.
Was it ever confirmed that Major Marvel was or wasn't a timed or permanent exclusive to PS4? I remember asking in the pre-release Infinite thread if it was Sony-exclusive forever, because wording I saw in different articles/ads made it seem that way to me, but I never saw where anyone replied.

decisions

Man, they really hate Devil May Cry fans

lol. So true.

1. Doom the franchise by making a shitty reboot to follow-up the fastest-selling game in the franchise.
2. Put Donte in PSAS.
3. Make MvCI Dante look like a meth addict, unfaithful to the original.
4. Make Donte in MvCI look like his normal self, faithful to the original.
5. Frank West Dante.

There is no rule about it.

It's what the market will bear. Im happy to pay $30 for the costumes and to support the game I like a lot. Someone else won't agree. That's their right.

You understand that by paying 30 bucks, they might just make it cost 40 bucks next time?

Why not just wait u till the costumes are on sale? What are you missing out on? Seriously?

JMTHEFOX

YOOOO THEY INCLUDED REBOOT DANTE IN THIS GAME

Seriously though, the Donte skin looks cool IMO. Others like Ms Marvel and Hot Ryu are good as well.

I love DmC, sue me

Nyoro SF

Capcom's price gouging is pretty bonkers. I was only partly joking earlier about milking hardcore fans to make up for a disaster launch, but it looks like it's true.

At least the costumes look good.

I'll have a good laugh if the year-later GOTY bundle doesn't include the costumes though.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Because you're just filling the blanks due to anime being made in japan and often set in japan, but characters in anime style often don't look asian and non asian characters ofte look just like the characters we are told are asian.

Just look at Alpha era street fighter, all characters are drawn in that anime style.

pls no

EYEL1NER

I'm one of them. Not saying I prefer him to Dante, but Donte's game was entertaining and I didn't think his cheesy awful lines were any worse than things Dante has said in the past. Considering how shit the Dante model in this game looks (must have cost a lot for them to make him look that bad too, considering how much more games cost now!), I'm thrilled to have Donte in the game since he looks so good/authentic.

I'll have a good laugh if the year-later GOTY bundle doesn't include the costumes though.
The new version of SFV isn't going to come with any premium costumes or stages, is it? If not, I wouldn't expect Ultimate MvC:I (or whatever) to have any, especially with the way they are pricing them and the vibe that gives off.

Top Bottom