• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Vs. Capcom: Infinite Characters and Stages Roster Discussion Thread

Suprised no one wants to see Arthur back. Capcom did a great job with his moveset and mannerism. Same with Firebrand.

I love Arthur and would definitely want him to be back (though maybe buffed...). I think my name should speak volumes as to how I perceive the GnG series. :p

eggandI

Banned
the people who think old vs games are "more neutral heavy" are probably the same people who think ST is the most fair and honest street fighter
lack of exposure to what actual competitive play looks like vs. their own personal experience especially creates that kinda gap, i think

meanwhile im holding uf as sabretooth and pressing HP->HK/cr.LK->cr.HP or picking storm and doing lightning attack forever because i cant be assed to learn how to do a real storm combo
i feel like this would be a good time to learn the cyke infinite and also the stupid gimmicky sthp DDT setup (that shits cool)
also how to do guard breaks
but man thats like a modicum of effort i dont wanna put in, yknow. it also hurts that i loathe how the old vs games feel

as for the yipes vid, i hate to be that dude but i swear i remembering him talkin' about how his FG career started, specifically that he had never played a fighting game before mvc2 as he was primarily a shooter guy so his statement is actually even more confusing 'cuz he's making it sound like he was around pre-mvc2

And yet despite how broken XvSF was it was way more neutral heavy than Marvel 3. Funny how that works out huh? Even on GGPO playing against people who use macros i still had way more fun playing neutral in that game than I ever did in MvC3 and UMvC3.

Veedot

My most wanted in no order:
Marvel
1. Kamala Khan
2. She-Hulk
3. Green Goblin (No chance, But I want him lol)
4. Nico Minoru (No chance, but I can dream)
5.Machine Man ( Just setting Myself up for disappointment)
6. Quicksilver (Maybe possible, Scarlet Witches chances seem better)
7. Squirrel Girl ( Seems possible)

Capcom
1. Dante in his DMC1 outfit
2. Regina
3. Nina BoF II
4. Akira (rival Schools)
5.Rouge (Power Stone)
6. Ryu (BoF)
7. Gene

Marvel - low chance next to impossible:
1. X23/ All new Wolverine
2.Magik
3. Updated Ice man
4. Emma Frost
5. Kraven
6. X-Statix rep (Lmao)
7. Jubilee

Mista Koo

I wonder if they can/will do skins based on other characters/incarnations. E.g. Monica Rambeau's Captain Marvel, Sam Wilson's Captain America. They could be just face swaps with new textures.
As for the Capcom side this would cause meltdowns definitely since they will be mechanically identical and would have different names.

McNum

Is there a chance that there be one Disney property to test the waters for future similar crossovers?

Who am I kidding lol
Scrooge McDuck, representing Capcom.

That is my pie in the sky, never gonna happen, but it'd be amazing if it did wish for this game.

I wonder if they can/will do skins based on other characters/incarnations. E.g. Monica Rambeau's Captain Marvel, Sam Wilson's Captain America. They could be just face swaps with new textures.
As for the Capcom side this would cause meltdowns definitely since they will be mechanically identical and would have different names.

In some cases, that would be literally impossible. Monica Rambeau has a completely different powerset from Carol Danvers. Even the Kree Captain Marvels have a different powerset to her, even though she initially got her powers from the first Captain Marvel (Mar-Vell).

It would also be weird to have Sam Wilson Cap and not having him use his wings at all.

I wonder if they can/will do skins based on other characters/incarnations. E.g.

DmC Dante...

Rashida-Jones-Disgusted.gif

Evilisk

Capcom

Cammy
Maki
Ingrid
Batsu
Regina
Saki
Soki

I would be perfectly okay with Ingrid

The Capcom side in 3 was filled with way too many street level characters. I wouldn't mind her beefing up the Capcom side alongside Asura and Jedah. She would be way more fitting here than in Street Fighter.

Suprised no one wants to see Arthur back. Capcom did a great job with his moveset and mannerism. Same with Firebrand.

Firebrand was great but lol at Arthur

No dashes. Gets a stupid disadvantage for powering up. They also added so many characters with beams/airdashes/opponent based teleports which trivialized his zoning.

At least it was fun to stomp with X-Factor Level 3 Arthur against friends

Mista Koo

In some cases, that would be literally impossible. Monica Rambeau has a completely different powerset from Carol Danvers. Even the Kree Captain Marvels have a different powerset to her, even though she initially got her powers from the first Captain Marvel (Mar-Vell).

It would also be weird to have Sam Wilson Cap and not having him use his wings at all.
[Disclaimer: I don't actually read comics.]
This is a series that had a few palette swap characters (Blackheart/Mephisto, Iron Man/War Machine). What I'm proposing here is kind of the opposite, making the characters look more like they're supposed to do, but without any new movesets. I mean we know they'll want to sell us multiple costumes.
As for Sam Wilson I'm basing it on an appearance he had without the wings/shields. I guess, as well as the title.

DmC Dante...

Rashida-Jones-Disgusted.gif
I'd actually like that.

Lulubop

I would be perfectly okay with Ingrid

The Capcom side in 3 was filled with way too many street level characters. I wouldn't mind her beefing up the Capcom side alongside Asura and Jedah. She would be way more fitting here than in Street Fighter.

Firebrand was great but lol at Arthur

No dashes. Gets a stupid disadvantage for powering up. They also added so many characters with beams/airdashes/opponent based teleports which trivialized his zoning.

At least it was fun to stomp with X-Factor Level 3 Arthur against friends

I'm saying he was true to the character, they nailed him. A little too much. I didn't say anything about him being a competent choice to pick, although I think he was fun to play. Don't lol at me bro

Prototype

Everyone's making lists of who they want in,
here's who I think should be --- Left Out

Capcom side

- Arthur
- Viewitful Joe
- Felicia
- firebrand
- frank west
- Hsien-Lo
- Nemisis
- Tron Bone

Marvel side

- Ghost Rider
- MODOK
- Shuma-Gorath
- Iron Fist
- She-Hulk
- Task Master

Evilisk

I'm saying he was true to the character, they nailed him. A little too much. I didn't say anything about him being a competent choice to pick, although I think he was fun to play. Don't lol at me bro

Well, there's nothing accurate about Arthur's armor randomly blowing off without even getting hit by anything. Aside from that though, I can agree.

Thinking back, it was pretty awesome to see Arthur being promoted from assist in MVC1 to full character in MVC3. I just wish he ended up a little bit better than he was in 3.

eggandI

Banned

Capcom side

- Arthur
- Viewitful Joe
- Felicia
- firebrand
- frank west
- Hsien-Lo
- Nemisis
- Tron Bone

Marvel side

- Ghost Rider
- MODOK
- Shuma-Gorath
- Iron Fist
- She-Hulk
- Task Master
Good list. Agreed on all of those EXCEPT Tron. She's awesome

Lulubop

Capcom side

- Arthur
- Viewitful Joe
- Felicia
- firebrand
- frank west
- Hsien-Lo
- Nemisis
- Tron Bone

Marvel side

- Ghost Rider
- MODOK
- Shuma-Gorath
- Iron Fist
- She-Hulk
- Task Master

A lot of good characters on that list.

Well, there's nothing accurate about Arthur's armor randomly blowing off without even getting hit by anything. Aside from that though, I can

Fair enough, and yea it was one of the dumbest decisions in the game

sp3ctr3

From what I could gather from the PSX Day 2 interview it seems that Marvel is very focused on chosing characters that make sense compared to the current MCU while Capcom are looking to bring established characters from previous games.

So on the Marvel side it seems that all the popular characters are a shoe-in. Cpt. America, Iron Man, Hulk, Thor, Doctor Stragen, Black Widow, Black Panther, Winter Soldier, Star Lord, Ultron, Dormammu.

On the Capcom side I have no idea but could imagine these would be in. Ryu, Akuma, Wesker, Dante, Spencer, Strider, Captain Commando, Tron Bonne.

Personally I'm hoping for Amingo to return.

Capcom side

- Arthur
- Viewitful Joe
- Felicia
- firebrand
- frank west
- Hsien-Lo
- Nemisis
- Tron Bone

Marvel side

- Ghost Rider
- MODOK
- Shuma-Gorath
- Iron Fist
- She-Hulk
- Task Master

Agree on everything except Nemesis and Frank West (unless he's Frank Worst).

[Disclaimer: I don't actually read comics.]
This is a series that had a few palette swap characters (Blackheart/Mephisto, Iron Man/War Machine). What I'm proposing here is kind of the opposite, making the characters look more like they're supposed to do, but without any new movesets. I mean we know they'll want to sell us multiple costumes.
As for Sam Wilson I'm basing it on an appearance he had without the wings/shields. I guess, as well as the title.

That was in the 90s and early 2000s, when Marvel wasn't very conscious about their properties, as long as they got some cash out of it.
There will never be a Mephisto or War Machine colour swap for Blackheart or Iron Man where the character is outright the same but named different. At best there would be references to other characters through palettes (e.g. MODOK in MvC3 had a colour based on MODAM), but that's about as far as I imagine Marvel being willing to go.
I'm sure people would've been willing to lay down money for a War Machine alt costume for Iron Man in MvC3, but he only got the Iron Patriot armour, and it wasn't even worn by Norman Osborn as in the comics, but Tony was wearing it.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if there was alternate costumes for some characters who have identical powersets. For instance, I can see Spider-Gwen as costume for Spider-Man, or Beta Ray Bill as an alternate costume for Thor. But I still don't think it's likely at all.

Capcom side

- Arthur
- Viewitful Joe
- Felicia
- firebrand
- frank west
- Hsien-Lo
- Nemisis
- Tron Bone

Marvel side

- Ghost Rider
- MODOK
- Shuma-Gorath
- Iron Fist
- She-Hulk
- Task Master

You're awful.

I just want a Spider-Man villain, Elektra, Wesker, Leon, and Loki. That's really all I need. At least 2 of them. They already included Captain Marvel. I wanted her the most out of anyone.

Flowmoney

This is what I think the roster will look like , though I expect the Capcom side to look more exciting than the quick list that I made for it.

Marvel

1 Ironman

2 Captain Marvel

3 Captain America

4 Spider-Man

5 Hulk

6 Black Bolt

7 Medusa

8 Ms.Marvel (Kamela Khan)

9 Groot

10 Rocket Raccoon

11 Starlord

12 Ant-Man

13 Thor

14 Doctor Strange

15 Black Widow

16 Gwenpool

17 She-Hulk

18 Ghost Rider

19 Dormammu

20 Thanos

Capcom

1 Megaman X

2 Ryu

3 Morrigan

4 Chun-Li

5 Akuma

6 Rashid

7 Dante

8 Zero

9 Roll

10 Felicia

11 Frank West

12 Ada Wong

13 Chris

14 Wesker

15 Viewitful Joe

16 Arthur

17 Nero

18 Spencer

19 Strider

20 Gene

Unplayable Boss - Sigma Ultron

LaNaranja

Marvel and Capcom have such a diverse range of characters to chose from I would really hate for them to take more than two representatives from any given franchise. Can someone tell me where the "huge cast" from the OP is coming from? That is making me imagine at least 40 characters. If I was in charge of Capcom this is who I would be pushing for.

QyJijmG.png

On the Capcom side:
Mega Man X, Ryu, Morrigan, Sigma, PTX-40A
Nathan Spencer, Albert Wesker, Maki Genryusai, Sir Arthur, Amaterasu
Strider Hiryu, B. B. Hood, Nero, Tetsucabra (really any monster would be fine), Asura
Captain Commando, Nina, Gene, Frank West, Ran Hibiki

On the Marvel side:
Iron Man, Captain Marvel, Captain America, Ultron, Hulk
Misty Knight, Black Panther, Quake, Squirrel Girl, Doctor Strange
Gamora, Black Widow, Scarlet Witch, Rocket Raccoon, Thor
Ms. Marvel, Ant-Man, Daredevil, Spider-Man, Howard the Duck

Mista Koo

At best there would be references to other characters through palettes (e.g. MODOK in MvC3 had a colour based on MODAM), but that's about as far as I imagine Marvel being willing to go.
I'm sure people would've been willing to lay down money for a War Machine alt costume for Iron Man in MvC3, but he only got the Iron Patriot armour, and it wasn't even worn by Norman Osborn as in the comics, but Tony was wearing it.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if there was alternate costumes for some characters who have identical powersets. For instance, I can see Spider-Gwen as costume for Spider-Man, or Beta Ray Bill as an alternate costume for Thor. But I still don't think it's likely at all.
That's kind of what I'm asking for? I don't want different videogame characters that are palette swaps, I want different comic characters as skins with head swaps for characters whose superhero identity has been used by other people with similar models.
Pretty sure the Iron Patriot thing isn't specifically "Oh it's Tony" and more that they didn't care to say anything more.

While I'd love to see Spider-Gwen, they aren't going to remodel Spider-Man nor give a female character a male voice. But maybe more elaborate skins based on Spider-Gwen or just simple ones such as Miles.

LaNaranja

That's kind of what I'm asking for? I don't want different videogame characters that are palette swaps, I want different comic characters as skins with head swaps for characters whose superhero identity has been used by other people with similar models.
Pretty sure the Iron Patriot thing isn't specifically "Oh it's Tony" and more that they didn't care to say anything more.

While I'd love to see Spider-Gwen, they aren't going to remodel Spider-Man nor give a female character a male voice. But maybe more elaborate skins based on Spider-Gwen or just simple ones such as Miles.

As much as I would love this, if Capcom is going to be charging $5 per skin like they are with Street Fighter 5 they can go eat a log of shit.

Prototype

I just want a Spider-Man villain, Elektra, Wesker, Leon, and Loki. That's really all I need. At least 2 of them. They already included Captain Marvel. I wanted her the most out of anyone.
I agree that Loki would be awesome.
Like Groot, tons of gameplay potential with him and a possible move set in an MvC style fighting engine.
Re-worked Venom could be good as well.

Forkball

I'm not sure about Marvel, because they always put in some character I've never heard of. But since the rumors have it being focused on the MCU more, I think we will see safer picks on that front. As for Capcom, they could literally just put in anyone. Here is my guess for the Capcom roster (let's say 17 characters)

Ryu (Street Fighter)
Mega Man X (Mega Man X)
Morrigan (Darkstalkers)
Chun Li (Street Fighter)
Necalli (Street Fighter)
Spencer (Bionic Commando)
Felyne (Monster Hunter)
Phoenix Wright (Ace Attorney)
Dante (Devil May Cry)
Frank West (Dead Rising)
Leon Kennedy (Resident Evil)
Samonosuke (Onimusha)
Viewtiful Joe (Viewtiful Joe)
PTX-40A(Lost Planet)
Asura (Asura's Wrath)
Arisen (Dragon's Dogma)
Sigma (Mega Man X)

I would personally like to see Jin Saotome, Strider, Captain Commando, and Hayato come back. Strider was in MvC3 and he had a new game recently so I can see him appearing.

JediLink

Anyone who doesn't have Phoenix Wright (or an Ace Attorney rep) on their Capcom list should probably fix that.

Lulubop

I'm not sure about Marvel, because they always put in some character I've never heard of. But since the rumors have it being focused on the MCU more, I think we will see safer picks on that front. As for Capcom, they could literally just put in anyone. Here is my guess for the Capcom roster (let's say 17 characters)

Ryu (Street Fighter)
Mega Man X (Mega Man X)
Morrigan (Darkstalkers)
Chun Li (Street Fighter)
Necalli (Street Fighter)
Spencer (Bionic Commando)
Felyne (Monster Hunter)
Phoenix Wright (Ace Attorney)
Dante (Devil May Cry)
Frank West (Dead Rising)
Leon Kennedy (Resident Evil)
Samonosuke (Onimusha)
Viewtiful Joe (Viewtiful Joe)
PTX-40A(Lost Planet)
Asura (Asura's Wrath)
Arisen (Dragon's Dogma)
Sigma (Mega Man X)

I would personally like to see Jin Saotome, Strider, Captain Commando, and Hayato come back. Strider was in MvC3 and he had a new game recently so I can see him appearing.

That's a ton of male characters

But for a lot of these characters, head swaps or whatever wouldn't work. My example with MODOK - MODAM is female, but the palette swap was still referred to as MODOK and had his regular voice. It was just MODOK in makeup, basically.
And knowing how Marvel has been working lately, it's very unlikely that there's going to be anything beyond light references to other characters. Like for instance I could see Captain America getting a black costume that references US Agent, but it would still be Steve Rogers. Something like that.

But they specifically gave the Iron Patriot a new voiceline where Tony says "Ugh, I can still smell Osborn's hair gel in this" or something like that. It's clearly supposed to be Tony in the Iron Patriot armour.

I don't think Miles would be a costume, except for just a palette swap that references him (i.e. Peter Parker Spider-Man, but the costume is black with red webbing, but still the regular Spidey suit). The thing is, Miles has different powers to Parker. They're almost the same, but not quite.

Forkball

That's a ton of male characters

I realized this when making it, yes. I was trying to think of some recent Capcom characters that they might put in, but since MvC3 came out they have mostly just pumped out Monster Hunter and Resident Evil games. You could have the girl from Remember Me, but that game wasn't very well received. My guesses could be totally wrong. I would not have thought in a million years that Amaterasu would be in Marvel vs. Capcom but look what happened. For female Capcom characters I'd like to see, I would throw in Lady from Devil May Cry, Jill from RE, and Akira from Rival Schools.

McNum

Forkball gets kudos for having PTX on his list.
But looks like I'm pretty much alone in wanting Saki. :(
Saki was the one with the big gun in TvC, right? If so, you're not alone in wanting her in the game. Being able to stock a super and tag out to use it as an assist is just evil. Not that she'd be able to do that in this game, but I still would like to see her again.

Saki was the one with the big gun in TvC, right? If so, you're not alone in wanting her in the game. Being able to stock a super and tag out to use it as an assist is just evil. Not that she'd be able to do that in this game, but I still would like to see her again.

Yeah. She's from a quiz/dating sim hybrid called Quiz Nanairo Dreams. In that game, you can date various character in several professions, and Saki is an agent of some military space program. I really liked her because she's so incredibly obscure, and she also was fun to play.

McNum

Yeah. She's from a quiz/dating sim hybrid called Quiz Nanairo Dreams. In that game, you can date various character in several professions, and Saki is an agent of some military space program. I really liked her because she's so incredibly obscure, and she also was fun to play.
Huh. I'll be honest, I had no idea who she was, but she paired fairly well with Roll to set up the dirtiest of walls, so I'd be all for seeing her again. Both her super bullet super and the super that covered half the screen in beams were nice "Go away!" moves.

Of course, it being Tatsunoko vs. Capcom "I have no idea who this is, but I'll give them a try..." was more or less the theme of that game. TvC was my first vs game, too, so I'm kind of biased in having at least one or two totally obscure character picks just for that feeling of discovery.

histopher

Anyone else disappointed that they've gone with this semi realistic look for the Marvel costumes? It kind of mimics the movie looks but doesnt quite do it and just looks awful, like something NRS would do. They also reduced Morrigans breast size and Cpt Marvels not really packing much there either. Looks like the game is going to pander to SJWs too much as well. Modern Marvel :(

Prototype

Anyone else disappointed that they've gone with this semi realistic look for the Marvel costumes? It kind of mimics the movie looks but doesnt quite do it and just looks awful, like something NRS would do. They also reduced Morrigans breast size and Cpt Marvels not really packing much there either. Looks like the game is going to pander to SJWs too much as well. Modern Marvel :(
Morrigans breasts in MVC3 were ridiculous, and it's not like they still aren't huge.
Is this seriously a complaint?
Cup size?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.

I forget how young Gaf skews and these posts remind me.

Flowmoney

Do Blade and Black Panther even have a chance to get in over other characters? They were quickly dismissed in mvc3 when it came to selecting characters for that game. Wasn't it like "why them when so and so can do that."

Do Blade and Black Panther even have a chance to get in over other characters? They were quickly dismissed in mvc3 when it came to selecting characters for that game. Wasn't it like "why them when so and so can do that."

Keep in mind, Niitsuma and the MVC3 team as a whole aren't working on this. These new (technically old) guys may have different design philosophies this time around.

You have to understand guys, my pixel waifus have to have big tits so I can enjoy the game, otherwise it's SJW-pandering feminazi trash.
/s just in case it wasn't obvious

Black Panther is probably on the short list due to the upcoming film. Wouldn't expect Blade, though.

Top Bottom