• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Vs. Capcom: Infinite Characters and Stages Roster Discussion Thread

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
tumblr_ngv2yxhkxt1rs61gk7d.gif

Don't worry. I saw your post before you edited it.

I knew you would but I just realized that it was too low blow so I edited it! XP

Weiss

Banned
I'm hoping for 36 characters at least. Which is stupid, I know.

Anything less than 32 feels like it'd be way too low.

In the meantime I'll hope for Leon, Claire, Nina, Rashid, Phoenix Wright, Lord Raptor, Ms. Marvel, Squirrel Girl, and Aaron Stack.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I'm hoping for 36 characters at least. Which is stupid, I know.

Anything less than 32 feels like it'd be way too low.

In the meantime I'll hope for Leon, Claire, Nina, Rashid, Phoenix Wright, Lord Raptor, Ms. Marvel, Squirrel Girl, and Aaron Stack.

Don't get your hope high for Breath of Fire character. I already set my expectation to not get any BOF character.

I meant Niitsuma finally pushed her to one of those finalist but didn't become playable character at the end. Now Niitsuma isn't working on the product so who know if original team would even consider about them this time.

Dremark

Banned
You realize that this probably isn't Cosmic Cube'd Captain America in MvCI, right?

I'm pretty sure it's going to be Steve and they'll just handwave the whole being a Nazi thing and portray him as a hero.

This is the dumbest comment ive read i a while

I second this.

I'm sorry I offended your sensibilities by not liking Nazis being portrayed as heroes and trashy female character designs.

Dremark

Banned
My guess is 4-6.

My guess is 0.

Agreed, though I'd imagine that any potential leaks would either stay on the down-low or be too low-key (Ex: posted on a site known for fake rumors) to be noticed right now.

We had enough obvious fake leaks at this point I think even if something legitimate leaked it would probably not be taken very seriously unless it came from a source with a good track record and didn't have anything difficult to believe in it.

Neoxon

I'm pretty sure it's going to be Steve and they'll just handwave the whole being a Nazi thing and portray him as a hero.

I'm sorry I offended your sensibilities by not liking Nazis being portrayed as heroes and trashy female character designs.
But the Cap being a Nazi thing was a result of Red Skull's Cosmic Cube fuckery (I.E. Cap being a Nazi wasn't always the case). It'll likely be undone after Secret Empire is over. As for Morrigan, she's the Ryu of Darkstalkers, so her inclusion was a given.

Any character who gets in is likely just going to be their standard incarnation, rather than anything else. No evil Cap or coma Iron Man's or unworthy Thors. Whether or not the character is going to be their classic incarnation or a new version like Foster-Thor or Cho-Hulk is another thing however, though I feel they'll mostly just stick with the more well known older versions if that's the case.

Anyways on another topic, having been recently reminded of the Mad Jim Jaspers vs. the Fury Fight, I feel like the Fury would work pretty well in this game, and could be thrown in there for story purposes as a subordinate of Sigmatron. If the game is going to be more story driven, then there's got to be a subordinate villain character in there somehow.

Dremark

Banned
But the Cap being a Nazi thing was a result of Red Skull's Cosmic Cube fuckery (I.E. Cap being a Nazi wasn't always the case). It'll likely be undone after Secret Empire is over. As for Morrigan, she's the Ryu of Darkstalkers, so her inclusion was a given.

They only changed his background, unless I'm mistaken they literally said he's not being mind controlled. Honestly I think they should keep his character this way as I don't think being a Nazi is something you can redeem yourself for.

Morrigan is just a trashy character design IMO. I'm not going to deny she's an obvious inclusion but I'd rather they had passed on her.

They only changed his background, unless I'm mistaken they literally said he's not being mind controlled. Honestly I think they should keep his character this way as I don't think being a Nazi is something you can redeem yourself for.

Morrigan is just a trashy character design IMO. I'm not going to deny she's an obvious inclusion but I'd rather they had passed on her.

I hope Captain America: Agent of HYDRA is never brought up again after Secret Empire

MVC Cap=/= 616 Cap

Weiss

Banned
Asura
Kamala
Black Panther
All I need

Cmon now

All of those are pretty good bets, I think. Black Panther is almost guaranteed, Kamala is Marvel's breakout character of the 2010s, and Asura is from one of Capcom's last even remotely well received new IPs.

Neoxon

That's the thing about the Cosmic Cube, you can also undo what was previously altered. Cap is probably gonna have his original background back after Secret Empire. And they aren't gonna pass on Morrigan, she's been in every MvC game thus far (starting with MvC1).

I hope Captain America: Agent of HYDRA is never brought up again after Secret Empire

MVC Cap=/= 616 Cap
This, too.

Caj814

This in combination with the silence on the next SF5 DLC character feels strange in comparison to how more frequent updates were during the SF4/MvC3 age when S-kill was still the community manager.

Numb

All of those are pretty good bets, I think. Black Panther is almost guaranteed, Kamala is Marvel's breakout character of the 2010s, and Asura is from one of Capcom's last even remotely well received new IPs.

Capcom is really good at disappointing me so i'll still cross my fingers

This in combination with the silence on the next SF5 DLC character feels strange in comparison to how more frequent updates were during the SF4/MvC3 age when S-kill was still the community manager.
That was also when SF4/(U)MVC3 leaks were happening as well, so Capcom is probably trying to keep a tight lid on things.

Remember when Ultimate got its roster leaked? Seth was pissed.

Skab

You do know that the current, hydra-cap isn't how cap actually is, right? It's a fucking plot device. Reality was warped. His background having been changed, causing him to be a different person, and guess what? Everything will then be changed back.

And not to mention the Cap in this game isn't the hydra cap. Next youre going to try and tell us is that Chris Evans Cap is a Nazi.

So, yeah, you're comment was pretty fucking dumb.

eggandI

Banned
Since they're holding off this long, I'm expecting a drastically different looking game come E3.
We really know extremely little about this game. I expect the info blowout to be crazy

I want to know about all the mechanics, the control scheme and the netcode. Don't really care too much about which characters they reveal as I'm sure theyll do a good job with the roster

eggandI

Banned
I do wonder if they took any of the criticism/complains/worry about no assists to heart after the reveal.
Eh I highly doubt it. That's the one thing they seemed pretty concrete about. And I honestly have seen very little complaints about no assists/2v2.

If you were to list just about any major Marvel character you want in, we could find some temporarily problematic elements about any of them throughout their publication history. You are WAY too caught up in a temporary plot twist that is narratively similar to brainwashing, which will certainly be undone fairly soon.

It's just silly, because appearances of these characters outside the comics will always be a portrayal of that character's "status quo", reflecting the common surface-level elements of the character.

Otherwise, I guess Hulk can't be in, because he's a rapist and cannibal (in some specific super-edgy alternate stories like Ultimate Marvel and Old Man Logan). Not to mention all the omnicidal villain characters... I mean, if they're going to be taking up any amount of roster space on either side, might as well not get the game at all, right? Or is Captain America being temporarily a Hydra agent (which won't even be reflected in the game) somehow fathoms worse than Dormammu wiping out entire planes of existence?

If you want to complain about how crappy the temporary brainwashing of Captain America by Hydra is in the comics, by all means, it's pretty shitty. But your hand-wringing is completely without warrant in regards to Cap's appearance in outside media in general, or Marvel vs Capcom more specifically.

EDIT: I fully hope I'll see you in the Injustice thread complaining about Superman and how he shouldn't even be in the game, since that game actually uses an explicitly fascist incarnation of Superman.

Jawmuncher

I've definitely seen complaints over no assists. Not much over the 2v2 only though.
Still curious how it'll be more casual friendly. Even I had trouble with links in SF x T, and this looks to have something similar (doing a combo and switching with your teammate partway)

Weiss

Banned
I mean I think links are cool, but assists are part of MvC. They really shouldn't go away.

Given how unpolished the reveal was I'd say they're still ways away from nailing everything down, and assists could come back.

And a big "Assists are back due to fan demand" would look nice for Capcom.

Skab

I've definitely seen complaints over no assists. Not much over the 2v2 only though.
Still curious how it'll be more casual friendly. Even I had trouble with links in SF x T, and this looks to have something similar (doing a combo and switching with your teammate partway)

I think 2v2 and no assists IS how they plan of it to be more casual friendly.

Which doesn't make a lot of sense.

No assists makes the game less complicated because it limits the amount of stuff happening on screen. A lot of people felt too overwhelmed by it to even try playing. Most of us can follow it easy, though the same can't be said for others.

I saw lots of complaining about no assists for like the first week, but then it stopped. I don't think it's going to be that big of a deal. As long as the game has good neutral and fun mechanics, everything should be good.

Top Bottom