• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Vs. Capcom: Infinite Characters and Stages Roster Discussion Thread

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I'm hoping for 60 or 70.

you are hoping, or wishing?

because if you actually think that it will have 60+ characters by default, I dont know what to tell you. Except you are a crazy person.

McNum

That'll be one hell of a way to timer scam.
I would expect the second character, if Sigma is KO'd first, to run in during the explosion. And if he's the second character, just stop the timer on the KO hit.

Time scam should be minimal, the effect would just be awesome. I mean, the next character jumps in before Zero's explosion is done in MVC3.

Its weird how he lists it as GnG rep. I mean, would we really not get Arthur? Would we get Firebrand again WITHOUT Arthur? Is there any character besides those two that is plausible?

...Maximo?

Different teams.

SFV not succeeding in one area doesn't necessarily mean the MVC team wouldn't.

Also, like Neo said, they have the advantage of reusing animations whereas the SFV team was using entirely new models.

PSqueak

Banned
Different teams.

Also, like Neo said, they have the advantage of reusing animations whereas the SFV team was using entirely new models.

This is a sure boost for the devs, the gameplay trailer shows they can easily port a lot of stuff from UMVC3 for shorter character dev time, i expect a lot of returning characters.

Neoxon

Sounds implausible. When they barely could put out for SFV
Every new numbered SF game starts small with their rosters since they each remake their assets from scratch (for reference, SFIV had 16 characters in its Japanese arcade launch). As I've said before, MvCI is reusing UMvC3 assets, which should help in increasing the base roster count.

If SFV reused SFIV animations, maybe we would have had a larger base roster for SFV. But to be fair, the SFV animations for the IV veterans absolutely shit on their SFIV counterparts.

Jawmuncher

Different teams.

Every new numbered SF game starts small with their rosters since they each remake their assets from scratch (for reference, SFIV had 16 characters in its Japanese arcade launch). As I've said before, MvCI is reusing UMvC3 assets, which should help in increasing the base roster count.

If SFV reused SFIV animations, maybe we would have had a larger base roster for SFV. But to be fair, the SFV animations for the IV veterans absolutely shit on their SFIV counterparts.

I guess. We did see reuse in the MVCI reveal. But I just can't imagine them doing a roster bigger than MVC3 and the rumored list is already sitting at 24. So if we up thing from 32 and say it's 38 (Counting the DLC for Jill and Shuma) We're left with 12 characters. With a lot of slots (At least on the marvel side) already filling up mad quick unless they have some big surprises instore and this list is spot on.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I'm hoping for somewhere between 36 and 40 at launch.

It is really nice to have a dream. Yeah, I'm having low expectation this time. It would be nice if they decide to hit 60 as final numbers with DLC/expansion to surpass the numbers of 56 set by MVC2. It was original plan for Niitsuma to hit 58 for UMVC3.

Knowing that the game will receive support post launch, I'm okay with 32-36 characters.

If there was a chance the game wouldn't get any updates, then that number would be looking a bit shaky. I think we all would love a 40+ base roster. Outside of everything else, I'm most looking forward to the graphical touch-up the game will receive. I also think there's a chance some of the animations (ie Iron Avenger, Shin Shoryuken) might be changed up a bit.

Jawmuncher

Knowing that the game will receive support post launch, I'm okay with 32-36 characters.

If there was a chance the game wouldn't get any updates, then that number would be looking a bit shaky. I think we all would love a 40+ base roster. Outside of everything else, I'm most looking forward to the graphical touch-up the game will receive. I also think there's a chance some of the animations (ie Iron Avenger, Shin Shoryuken) might be changed up a bit.

My whole thing is if we take that rumored roster as is and factor in another twelve with the "shoe-ins". It's lacking a lot of diversity. Considering these rumors seem to talk about still working out Fox owned characters. It makes me curious if some things will move around and be made into DLC for later. I know for certain capcom isn't against that idea, and I honestly wouldn't mind it if it meant a better ratio for female characters.

J-Tier

I look forward to your posts in post-launch threads complaining about the "small" roster size and lack of Jedah.
Oh, post-launch thread will suffer my wrath and saltiness.

I'm actually just happy that the game exists. Honestly, if we have more than 32, I'm solid.

Looking at Captain Marvel's supers:

GSTL0PW.gif

This one appears to be your usual beam super. It looks like she was already in Binary (or whatever that transformation is) before she unleashes her super. I'm starting that power-up is an install super. Since she reverted, it's possible that it was just apart of the super--or you can't DHC and keep the power-up. No idea.

jeGjO7d.gif

With the way the gameplay cuts in and out, you can't really tell if the initial power-up is connected to the cinematic beam attack or not The final part appeared to be a level 3 for sure, though.

Just examining the trailer for the thousandth time.

Neoxon

Better chance to make it: Spider Gwen or Gwenpool?
Probably Gwenpool, seeing as Spider-Gwen doesn't really have any differentiating factors from Peter in terms of abilities.

I can't really see either one getting in (beyond Spider-Gwen being an alternate costume for Peter), especially with the possibility of Deadpool being DLC in the case of Gwenpool.

tribal24

Banned
I feel like it's going to be 36-38 initial list just be use that recent list would only be 4 more marvel charcters slots. Thor and hulk have to be in the game and if xmen are supposedly including in base roster it gives enough room for wolverine mags storm and sentinal.

Matthew Edwards just posted a pick of him playing an unreleased game and he had an arcade stick in front of him hmmmmmmmmm

Pic is just the start up menu for the PS4

Neoxon

I wouldn't be surprised if the game has less than 30 characters at launch.
Considering that they're reusing UMvC3 assets for the veterans, I'd be very surprised if the base roster was under 30. SFV redid every single character from scratch, MvCI isn't.

Neoxon

Now that we know that 32 isn't exactly the limit, here are my guesses for the remaining roster (if that leak is accurate).

MARVEL
  • Thor
  • Hulk
  • Star-Lord
  • Black Widow
  • Hawkeye
  • Thanos
  • Ultron
CAPCOM
  • Phoenix Wright
  • Chun-Li
  • Wesker
  • Asura
  • Rashid
  • Haggar
  • Sigma
This would put the base roster at 40.

Samanoske from onimusha, Asura, Thanos and Hel all playable day 1 and I'd be a happy camper. Need more infos.
Samanosuke would be a great addition IMO, since Capcom is supposed to be reviving some IPs.

It's true tha E3 is far away, but we have endured almost 5 months without new info.

Neoxon

Samanoske from onimusha, Asura, Thanos and Hel all playable day 1 and I'd be a happy camper. Need more infos.
Don't the Onimusha characters have some legal issues since they're based on real character (correct me if I'm wrong). And do you mean Hela when you say Hel?

Jawmuncher

Now that we know that 32 isn't exactly the limit, here are my guesses for the remaining roster (if that leak is accurate).

MARVEL
  • Thor
  • Hulk
  • Star-Lord
  • Black Widow
  • Hawkeye
  • Thanos
  • Ultron
CAPCOM
  • Phoenix Wright
  • Chun-Li
  • Wesker
  • Asura
  • Rashid
  • Haggar
  • Sigma
This would put the base roster at 40.
6 females out of a roster of 40 just doesn't sit right (maybe 7 if hunter were to be female but that's if). I think for one Sigma and Ultron will be only boss form like galactus. So cutting them out from playable with 2 more females puts us at 8. Considering MVC3 had a roster of 38 (with DLC) and had 11 females (12 if you count Amaterasu). I would say at minimum they have 10 out of 40.

Don't the Onimusha characters have some legal issues since they're based on real character (correct me if I'm wrong). And do you mean Hela when you say Hel?

ONIMUSHA 1-3 have character likeness. But the cast of 4 does not. Which is why he made it into TvC if I recall.

Neoxon

6 females out of a roster of 40 just doesn't sit right (maybe 7 if hunter were to be female but that's if). I think for one Sigma and Ultron will be only boss form like galactus. So cutting them out from playable with 2 more females puts us at 8. Considering MVC3 had a roster of 38 (with DLC) and had 11 females (12 if you count Amaterasu). I would say at minimum they have 10 out of 40.
But if Capcom can't convince Marvel to let some Fox characters in on Day 1, that right there already cuts the Marvel side off from a good chunk of their potential female reps (plus Scarlet Witch would be harder to get into the game in this scenario). Sure, you could swap out Sigma for Amaterasu, but there aren't a lot of other Marvel female options outside of Scarlet Witch who would lend themselves to a unique playstyle. I suppose they could get creative with Gamora, but I'm not sure what they could do with Wasp since she has to shrink to use her powers. Medusa or Quake, perhaps?

But if Capcom can't convince Marvel to let some Fox characters in on Day 1, that right there already cuts the Marvel side off from a good chunk of their potential female reps (plus Scarlet Witch would be harder to get into the game in this scenario). Sure, you could swap out Sigma for Amaterasu, but there aren't a lot of other Marvel female options outside of Scarlet Witch who would lend themselves to a unique playstyle. I suppose they could get creative with Gamora, but I'm not sure what they could do with Wasp since she has to shrink to use her powers. Medusa or Quake, perhaps?

Well if you do go by the leak list, then you have two Marvel females that are very much unique, with Ms. Marvel and Songbird. Beyond that, Marvel has a lot of other potentially unique women that aren't tied back by licensing, but they get increasingly obscure. There's really no chance we'll see Ruby Thursday for instance, but she sure would be something else.

Top Bottom