• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Vs. Capcom: Infinite Characters and Stages Roster Discussion Thread

Weiss

Banned
FWIW I have the same concern about tagging. The idea is good in theory, in that now you can just play your favourite characters, but MvC isn't a tag game, it's a team fighter. It should matter who you pick. In trying to avoid situations where characters were only selected for overpowered assists they just threw the baby out with the bathwater.

I'm lowkey hoping that tagging gets dropped and TvC style assists come back.

I hope Jedah makes it, too. I always wanted to see him in a Vs game.

My only experience with Nina is from BOF4, but from what I've seen from BOF2, she'd be great. In fact, that was the design Niitsuma was going to go with.

I don't know much about Rathalos. I wonder if they're really considering giants.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Anyway, there are 3 characters that could make me hype for this game:
Jedah
Rathalos
Nina

My man. I wish we would get one or two of them.

One thing I don't like is the fact they are re-using assets from MvC3 (unlike SFV which is using completely new models) but I'm still excited to what they do with the new characters.

Well, I'm totally fine with it since it would ensure that we would have good numbers of characters on the roster.

I hope Iron Avenger and Shin Shoryuken are at least visually altered a bit. It looks too similar. At least the Proton Cannon has a different design.

nded

One thing I don't like is the fact they are re-using assets from MvC3 (unlike SFV which is using completely new models) but I'm still excited to what they do with the new characters.

Until MvC3, the Vs. series was built on a foundation of recycled assets. It's series tradition at this point, and at least we're not recycling SFIV assets.

That's actually the one thing I am 100% fine with. Here's my stupid conspiracy theory that I am using to keep myself sane:
This game is called MvCi - why not MvC4?
I want to believe that the point of MvCi is to bring MvC3 assets up to date while also expanding the roster.
When the roster is sufficiently large, MvC4 will be announced, which will port the entire MvCi roster over plus many more characters and the MvC3 gameplay style.
MvCi is redeemed.

I'm okay with it if it means the initial roster will be larger than usual due to it. If we're getting a small roster then it'd be super disappointing.
I'm expecting a roster in the low 30s.

Well, I didn't really liked SFxT but with only early footage, we can't really say that it will be it's "succesor"

With this new info it will be more clear... maybe lol
There are different subgenres of fighting games. Removing assists and adding tags moves it from a "team fighter" to a "tag fighter". Unless they go back on this (there's still time, damn it!), it's fair to call the game a SFxT successor (we even have fucking gems!).

I hope Jedah makes it, too. I always wanted to see him in a Vs game.

My only experience with Nina is from BOF4, but from what I've seen from BOF2, she'd be great. In fact, that was the design Niitsuma was going to go with.

I don't know much about Rathalos. I wonder if they're really considering giants.
Of course, Jedah brings the problems of crazy animation requirements and the potential M rating due to his gore level. So I'm not expecting him to make it. They would have to neuter his animations to make him ESRB acceptable - this game has to be T or lower to succeed.

BoFIV Nina is legit the worst Nina. Go back and get yourself some BoF2!!! :-D

Rathalos has no character. If you see a picture of Rathalos, you know everything there is to know. He's a red fire-breathing dragon that flies and has a poisonous tail. I just want that in a fighting game.

Until MvC3, the Vs. series was built on a foundation of recycled assets. It's series tradition at this point, and at least we're not recycling SFIV assets.
I just find it to be a fine business model unless the recycled assets are being used to make a cheap game with a low roster instead of using it to boost the roster. Smash 4 did it right.

nded

I just find it to be a fine business model unless the recycled assets are being used to make a cheap game with a low roster instead of using it to boost the roster. Smash 4 did it right.

Oh, I'm perfectly fine with it. Starting over from scratch for every game would be a waste and not even Street Fighter does that if we count revisions.

sephi22

C'mon guys, reusing assets is Marvel's heritage. We had that shit happen till Marvel 2 lol

There's a difference between waiting to see how a game will unfold and saying the game sucks off the bat.
This is a speculation thread. Speculating that the game's going to be bad hurts no one. I could go into the SFV OT and shit on the game and ruin the mood of people who like it, and that'd be a dick move. But at this point for MVCI, no one's invested into it or even know anything about it to say it's good or they like it.

You know as much about the game as I do. It's been 5 months with no new news, and that's neither your fault nor mine. All we can go on is what we've been shown, and it doesn't look too exciting to me. If you're hopeful and excited about what you've seen, more power to you. If the game comes out and is excellent despite my concerns, then it's an egg on my face and you get the last laugh.

Yep. Nothing wrong with being skeptical, I sure am, but there's other games in the SAME SERIES that didn't even have assists and they were fun as hell to play.
MvC wasn't a Marvel game?
MvC had assists though.

But regardless, this 'back to the old days' approach is still reductive and a massive step back. You can't have me taste the freedom of 3v3 and assists and then ask me to forget about it after 2 games. I fucking spent 190 hours playing UMvC3 online, and 250 hours in training mode on the PS3 alone. Yes, more time in training mode than playing my friends because the real draw for me was the sandbox, do anything, create new combinations and unique combos aspect. I would make headcanon with certain teams and try to make unique or flashy interactions between them. It's been like 6 years now and I still haven't found 'my perfect team' aka 3 characters who I love and can optimize together to make the be all end all team. And by that I mean I don't want to adopt other's creations like ZMC, Morridoom Vergil, etc.

Dota 2 and UMvC3 are among my 2 favorite games of all time. Both are open-ended sandboxes that allow for unique and varied team combinations and follow the 'when everything is OP, nothing is' approach. With these 2 changes (2v2, no assists) MvC has lost some of it's identity to me. And this is a series that made me play fighting games in the first place (When I was 11 years old in India, my Dad bought me a PSOne from Germany, and after getting it modchipped, MvC1 was the first ever PS1 game I bought for like 50 cents).

All of this for chasing after the 'casual crowd' unicorn. The same people that cry about 'spamming' when they see a player use a beam or fireball more than thrice in 5 seconds. The same people that don't understand what's going on when they see a Marvel match on twitch. The same people that don't bother to learn a system before playing and just want to go online and to do raw specials and supers at the first opportunity. SFV tried the same shit, and it failed because of paper thin single player features, regardless of how easy or complex its mechanics are. Meanwhile, on the other end, you have NRS that tripled each character's complexity going from MK9 to MKX and still managed to sell 5 million copies in a year.

Also the tag system stifles so much creativity and will lead to more homogenized teams. Pixie point character for opening up, and big body reserve character to dish out damage will be the norm. You won't see your Haggars and Hulks at point or Wolverine or Firebrand's in reserve. In 3, you could play slower characters on point by covering their weaknesses with assist.

Of course, Jedah brings the problems of crazy animation requirements and the potential M rating due to his gore level. So I'm not expecting him to make it. They would have to neuter his animations to make him ESRB acceptable - this game has to be T or lower to succeed.

BoFIV Nina is legit the worst Nina. Go back and get yourself some BoF2!!! :-D

Rathalos has no character. If you see a picture of Rathalos, you know everything there is to know. He's a red fire-breathing dragon that flies and has a poisonous tail. I just want that in a fighting game.

I see. Looks like I'll be giving BOF2 a playthrough soon enough to learn more about Nina's awesomeness.

Were you a huge fan of the giants in TVC? I didn't dislike them. I never played them, but I thought the idea was cool.

From the sound of it, we may very well get more info this week.
giphy.gif

Negaduck

/shrug I consider X-Men vs SF to be in the same series.

Yup, xvsf is still very much a versus game and has the same craziness without having assists.

https://youtu.be/28Hm794g2_M

I feel that it also kinda will focus on the character's neutral game more as you won't have assists to continue to lock down the opponent.

You will HAVE to know the best times to use normals and specials to approach the opponent. I'm really looking forward to how mvci neutral will play. Very excited.

sephi22

Yup, xvsf is still very much a versus game and has the same craziness without having assists.

I feel that it also kinda will focus on the character's neutral game more as you won't have assists to continue to lock down the opponent.

You will HAVE to know the best times to use normals and specials to approach the opponent. I'm really looking forward to how mvci neutral will play. Very excited.
C R U S H C O U N T E R H Y P E

Jokes aside, I do agree that the neutral will be more deliberate, but I don't think the xvssf comparison is fair. This is supposed to be capcoms most simplistic game in a while so forget about infinites or long hype combos from xvssf

I think the standard flow of combos will be:
LMHS -> j.LMH xx air special -> tag -> LMH xx Super -> DHC
Of course some characters will vary by relaunching after tag or using moves like Haggars air swing and finishing into OTG super.

In other words: Char A does ground string and launches, does air string cancelled into tag, Char B intercepts and does their ground string, cancelled into super, or into launch followed by air string into air super or otg super. Both cases lead to DHC leaving char A back on point.

This will obviously change when the pros inevitably break the game.

MrCarter

XvSF is easily my favourite versus game in the entire series so if it does go that way I won't mind at all.

Dahbomb

Actually more broken than both Marvel 2 and Marvel 3. That's impressive considering it doesn't even have assists.

Negaduck

C R U S H C O U N T E R H Y P E

Jokes aside, I do agree that the neutral will be more deliberate, but I don't think the xvssf comparison is fair. This is supposed to be capcoms most simplistic game in a while so forget about infinites or long hype combos from xvssf

I think the standard flow of combos will be:
LMHS -> j.LMH xx air special -> tag -> LMH xx Super -> DHC
Of course some characters will vary by relaunching after tag or using moves like Haggars air swing and finishing into OTG super.

In other words: Char A does ground string and launches, does air string cancelled into tag, Char B intercepts and does their ground string, cancelled into super, or into launch followed by air string into air super or otg super. Both cases lead to DHC leaving char A back on point.

This will obviously change when the pros inevitably break the game.

Oh for sure. I don't mean to say we are going to get another xvsf. Just that the closest parallels to approaching neutral at least how a game without assists gets approached is the closest we have for now (without knowing a thing about mvci).

I love xvsf so I'm really looking forward to it. Now where the hell is that button layout!

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
guys I have a confession... the person that runs Evethubs...

bKKz2Rf.gif

Ryce

I appreciate the concern, everyone, but I'll be fine. My source was just concerned at a particular moment in time that I might have accidentally said something that could be traced back to them. This is a different situation.

Neoxon

Just noticed that you were the first post lol

Thanks for letting them know in our behalf.
GAFers look after each other, right? Especially MahvelGAF.

I appreciate the concern, everyone, but I'll be fine. My source was just concerned at a particular moment in time that I might have accidentally said something that could be traced back to them. This is a different situation.
Ah, so you're not as worried in this case since you were vague enough about the info to where nothing could be traced to your source.

Lungless

Neo Member
So, I've been lurking on this thread for a while, and just joined the site yesterday so I could give my thoughts on stuff.

Really hope this thing Ryce is talking about is legit. It's been literally 4 months since MvCI's announcement.

Yeah, I was wondering the same thing the other day, if we don't get a release date by E3, I think it could be delayed.

So, I've been lurking on this thread for a while, and just joined the site yesterday so I could give my thoughts on stuff.

Really hope this thing Ryce is talking about is legit. It's been literally 4 months since MvCI's announcement.
Welcome!
All of us are hoping the same thing hahah.

sinkfla87

Good, I'm glad to hear that! Regardless, since I'm sure they know they kind of overstepped their liberty with posting info you've given in the past, they should have shown a little more restraint or at least asked if they could cite you.

Top Bottom