• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Vs. Capcom: Infinite Characters and Stages Roster Discussion Thread

No Asura is.. odd but at least Thanos made it in so I'm partially satisfied.

I don't know how anyone expects Asura. Asura's Wrath bombed and hard. Capcom will never touch that franchise again. Maybe in odd references here and there. Same goes for the Clover Studio characters. Although Amaterasu gets a plush toy every now and then.

This game is getting heat everywhere.

Maybe Capcom will see this and understand that it's wise to back-down...for now. Delay this shit and make a respectable roster. This nonsense right here is a surefire way to get your game slaughtered by the press and the fans.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
This game is getting heat everywhere.

Maybe Capcom will see this and understand that it's wise to back-down...for now. Delay this shit and make a respectable roster. This nonsense right here is a surefire way to get your game slaughtered by the press and the fans.

in the wake of IJ2 & T7's solo content, this game will get crushed in reviews regardless

Why the hate for Firebrand. :(

It's not that people hate Firebrand OR Arthur, but when many fan favorite series got characters cut and now have 0 reps (ace attorney, okami, viewtiful joe, final fight) and so few series in this got two reps it shines a spot light when one of the few to get two in the base roster is gng.

Dahbomb

Why the hate for Firebrand. :(
How would you feel if there was no Firebrand but instead we got 5 characters from Lost Planet in a roster of 20?

Exaggeration of course but this is how having 2 GnG reps look when we have 0 reps from over a dozen franchises, many of which are more popular.

And I personally like Firebrand (cut Arthur in fact) but when the roster is smaller you have to try to give maximum representation. Hell it's ok to even have 1 DMC character.

How would you feel if there was no Firebrand but instead we got 5 characters from Lost Planet in a roster of 20?

As long as one of them was PTX, I'd be cool with it.

Exaggeration of course but this is how having 2 GnG reps look when we have 0 reps from over a dozen franchises, many of which are more popular.

And I personally like Firebrand (cut Arthur in fact) but when the roster is smaller you have to try to give maximum representation. Hell it's ok to even have 1 DMC character.

Frankly, I think for the Capcom side, other than a few obvious ones (Dante, Morrigan, Ryu, Chun Li), they mostly went with characters that would provide unique gameplay.
Say what you will about the popularity of the characters/series represented after that, but beyond the obvious choices, the characters in the Capcom roster certainly play uniquely.
Arthur, Nemesis, Firebrand, Strider, Spencer, Frank West and (in Darkstalkers) Jedah are all unique with special mechanics or a lot of weird moveset choices or, in case of Jedah, potential for it.
I'll gladly trade Wesker or Vergil for a character that plays entirely uniquely, especially considering that the Marvel side of the roster is going to be boring as all shit, what with characters like MODOK or Ghost Rider gone. I think Capcom is trying to offset the onslaught of boring ass characters by having a bunch of outlandish characters on their side.

That said, I am a bit surprised they axed Phoenix Wright and Amaterasu for Nemesis and a second GnG character, but I assume those are likely going to be DLC anyway because they are so popular and will sell well. So... not TOO big a surprise.

Lungless

Neo Member
I'm only glad that they bothered to have a new Darkstalkers character. Other than that, I'll probably wait a year or two to get this game.

Nemesis and Firebrand may have also made the cut because of the story mode. They can be used as minor villains if necessary, since you can't just jump straight to Ultron, Thanos, and Jedah. There will probably be a lot of hero vs. hero stuff though. I suppose standard Ultron can stand in as a drone version of himself for Ultron-Sigma

Speaking of which, I wonder if Ultron-Sigma is going to be playable or just a boss.

Dahbomb

They couldn't use Vergil or Wesker as villains?

No the actual answer is that no one would pay DLC money for Nemesis but they would for Vergil and Wesker. Vergil has always bee DLC so I am not even surprised about that one... but Waaaskker?

They couldn't use Vergil or Wesker as villains?

No the actual answer is that no one would pay DLC money for Nemesis but they would for Vergil and Wesker. Vergil has always bee DLC so I am not even surprised about that one... but Waaaskker?

True, though I'll say this as well

If at the end of the day when the game is done getting dlc if we have all the missing vets people want and a ton of new characters and the obscure characters that had no chance as dlc and had to be in the base roster to be here at all I'll be somewhat okay with the order it happened.

So I hit up Lupinko..... Here's what he had to say...

fnWnrPM.jpg

Tirael

More let the backlash happen now so people are more numb by launch

That's literally what happened with UMvC3. People were so shocked that Mega Man was not in, but by the time the release rolled around, we had come to terms with it. Probably improved sales a little that way, rather than the backlash a big buildup would have caused. (With no Mega Man at the end.)

As a bunch of generic Red Arremer. You'll probably have to fight a bunch of them, Nemesis clones, and Ultron drones.

Honestly thats the most disappointing thing about the roster is that it'll likely limit cool interactions in story mode. Unless all the cut characters show up anyways and it's a clear case of "fuck you we'll be 2018 dlc"

Tirael

The roster is embarrassing, they should be ashamed of themselves. And what they need to do for the first DLC pack is not all new characters. They need a villain pack. Magneto, Dr. Doom, Venom, Wesker, Vergil, Sigma. Tell me that every person in existence would not buy that pack.

This does not fix all of their problems, they should probably do an X-Men pack after that with Wolverine, Storm, and Sentinel, but it's a meager start. As it stands, the DLC characters better be hit after hit to keep this thing afloat, sales are going to be terrible otherwise.

The complaining about the lack of female characters reminds me on how much of a huge explosion of new female characters there were in Smash 4.

Prior to SSB4, we only had...Peach, Zelda and Samus. But then in Smash 4 we got Peach, Zelda, Samus, Rosalina, Palutena, Lucina, Bayonetta, Wii Fit Trainer, Robin, Corrin, Villager and Wendy (Bowser Jr.'s alt). Wow. Technically all three Mii Fighter types can be made female too.

Sakurai's always talked about how he wanted to add more girls to the roster, that was one of his reasons for adding Zero Suit Samus (kinda silly because she's just another form of a pre-existing character), so I guess Smash 4 was his lucky break.

The roster is embarrassing, they should be ashamed of themselves. And what they need to do for the first DLC pack is not all new characters. They need a villain pack. Magneto, Dr. Doom, Venom, Wesker, Vergil, Sigma. Tell me that every person in existence would not buy that pack.

This does not fix all of their problems, they should probably do an X-Men pack after that with Wolverine, Storm, and Sentinel, but it's a meager start. As it stands, the DLC characters better be hit after hit to keep this thing afloat, sales are going to be terrible otherwise.

Just gunna be honest here... I wouldnt buy that pack. Only one I care about is Venom, and I wouldnt buy a whole pack just for him. That said though, this comment is very biased. As I'm someone whose actually very happy Wesker, Vergil, and Doom arent back.

tangled55

I don't know what this game is, but it's certainly not "Mahvel".

That Capcom side list of characters is an utter disgrace. The Marvel side is barely passable, but Capcom's side? "Oh no baby, what is you doin'?"

This just reeks of Capcom saying fuck it and not caring.

Some seem to think DLC is still the saving grace. I don't see it that way. If your fans are turned off enough to avoid the game, there will be no legs to a DLC roadmap at all.

Really, Capcom has used up most of their goodwill with the community. Eventually people are just going to stay away from their stuff altogether. They say they learned from SFV's woes, but launching with an Arcade/Story doesn't mean that they did. Going with a weak ass launch roster and holding fan favs out for DLC shows that they learned nothing.

Been a fan of the series for most of my life. Yesterday' news made it clear that this is no longer the series I've grown to love.

The complaining about the lack of female characters reminds me on how much of a huge explosion of new female characters there were in Smash 4.

Prior to SSB4, we only had...Peach, Zelda and Samus. But then in Smash 4 we got Peach, Zelda, Samus, Rosalina, Palutena, Lucina, Bayonetta, Wii Fit Trainer, Robin, Corrin, Villager and Wendy (Bowser Jr.'s alt). Wow. Technically all three Mii Fighter types can be made female too.

Sakurai's always talked about how he wanted to add more girls to the roster, that was one of his reasons for adding Zero Suit Samus (kinda silly because she's just another form of a pre-existing character), so I guess Smash 4 was his lucky break.

Still no Dixie Kong, fuck Sakurai!
/never ending salt

I'm not sure.

Capcom Loss
Akuma
Amaterasu
C. Viper
Felicia
Haggar
Hsien-Ko
Jill
Phoenix Wright
Trish
Tron
Vergil
Viewtiful Joe
Wesker
Zero

Capcom Gain
Jedah
Monster Hunter
X

Marvel Loss
Deadpool
Doctor Doom
Dormammu
Ghost Rider
Iron Fist
M.O.D.O.K.
Magneto
Phoenix
Sentinel
She-Hulk
Shuma-Gorath
Storm
Super-Skrull
Taskmaster
Wolverine
X-23

Marvel Gain
Ant-Man
Captain Marvel
Gamora
Thanos
Ultron

Cry with me.
The game is $36.38 when it comes out right? To justify the list

I could be wrong but if Venom was coming in this first season I feel like there wouldn't be any question surrounding when we would get him. The fact that it's up in the air, combined with the wording of the "All New DLC" or whatever it said makes me think Venom won't come around until 2018

Here's hoping he's in a MvC2 Legacy pack opposite Captain Commando.

Some of the best characters are going to be DLC now...

Somewhat angry at that, it must be on purpose to left so many good choices out of the base roster.

"All new" aka not an mvc3 port

Even if venom is 90% how he played in mvc1/2 all the work going into him and thanos is ground up work and not port city from umvc3.

Top Bottom