• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Vs. Capcom: Infinite Characters and Stages Roster Discussion Thread

Lothars

A brand new game with less new characters than UMVC3? Check.

4 females total? Check.

Will I still play it? Most likely because it's Marvel. But come on. You know (assuming this is true) that this type of roster is not a good look.
I guess we will see but I am still skeptical about this roster being the actual roster but even if it is I don't think it's that bad.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
game is going to bomb hard, and it makes me sad, but not that sad.

Jawmuncher

img_23418xp00.jpg

Jawmuncher

Or they were supposed to post new footage today anyways and posted the wrong trailer.

I wonder how the fuck that happens.
"We need new gameplay stat!"

"Uh shit here take this!"

"Thanks man, I hope this helps"
Guy goes to upload

"Ahh shit, I grabbed that from the old folder"

Like I get it. I'm sure they're saving stuff for E3. But how do you forget what you uploaded and how do you not have anything you could maybe upload ahead of time?

J-Tier

So does the gameplay just not look fun now to people because their favorite character wont be in?
It looks great, very Marvel-like.

But Marvel is also known for having a lot of content, and having a roster that's well represented on both sides.

I-hate-u

So does the gameplay just not look fun now to people because their favorite character wont be in?

For me, the game had it's work cut out for it to impress using the 2 vs 2 stone system, and now the roster launch is absolutely Dan-tier.

Good luck to you Capcom you made it much harder for people to love your game.

Dahbomb

Game play is going to be fun for FG vets maybe but unfun for everyone else once stuff is figured out and they get comboed/set played to death and stop. Beyond that what is there to keep them tethered to the game? The roster and the content?

That is the issue here.. the concern is for the broader scope of the game and the roster is a major part of it. It's not just the roster, everything from the visuals to the mechanics and all the BS surrounding the game alongside Capcom's previous FG track record has made people sour on the game.

And then you have other fighting games killing it with bigger rosters despite not even being team fighters.

Jawmuncher

Yeah. I can get people being a bit upset and going "but the gameplay!". However as said before that's not everyone's bitter, especially if you're a more casual player. I'm not FGC, I'm at best medium tier on a good day. So a good selection of characters for me and my friends to play with is what will keep my group most interested.

This current roster isn't going to have a lot of my friends wanting to play this very often.

You can acknowledge that the gameplay is fun and still be quite pissed at this abysmal effort of a roster. Yes, gameplay is important, but so is presentation. The roster is apart of that.

It looks like MvC3 with no assists, fewer team members and gems to make up for it. The fact it doesn't include a roster of equal size to MVC3 let alone the entire UMVC cast given how little existing characters seem to have changed is disappointing. Also the fact they're announcing DLC before confirming their lacklustre roster is a shitty practice.

Akiller

Capcpcom gonna Capcpcom...

Please don't let the incompetency of Capcom's FG division affect DMC5. That's the god damn last straw for me.

Basically impossible, it's the Capcom rule: you get the game but Capcom fucks it up somehow.

Wondering if Reuben Langdon will voice Dante in Infinite, RCS came back as Chris so there's hope maybe.

Yeah. I can get people being a bit upset and going "but the gameplay!". However as said before that's not everyone's bitter, especially if you're a more casual player. I'm not FGC, I'm at best medium tier on a good day. So a good selection of characters for me and my friends to play with is what will keep my group most interested.

This current roster isn't going to have a lot of my friends wanting to play this very often.

Capcom is betting on people that didn't play UMVC3.
Basically impossible, it's the Capcom rule: you get the game but Capcom fucks it up somehow.

Wondering if Reuben Langdon will voice Dante in Infinite, RCS came back as Chris so there's hope maybe.
You mean reused his voice.

Jawmuncher

I wonder if capcom will do their Free DLC approach to this. They said for RE7 the whole "free DLC" and rest paid is something they'd like to do for other games.

Having Black Panther and a female capcom rep, would be a good look in fixing some of the diversification problems this game has.

Having to pay for the only black character seems kinda wrong.

Skab

You can acknowledge that the gameplay is fun and still be quite pissed at this abysmal effort of a roster. Yes, gameplay is important, but so is presentation. The roster is apart of that.

Oh, I 100% agree. But when I see people already proclaiming the game to be a bomb, saying it sucks, and that they hope the press/critics/reviews rip the game apart, canceling preorders, calling it an "outlandishly over-priced game that's most likely shit," saying how the launch of this makes sfv look good, etc I have to question it.

I get being disappointed by the roster, what I don't get is judging the game entirely on that one factor alone.

Jawmuncher

I think that's another issue. They had a lot of work to do to make up for the lack of Xmen. With the heavy MCU slant from marvel, they failed in that regard. While people would always be mad about no Xmen, a stronger diversification on that side could've helped things. Plus early on saying they're DLC.

Hell I half expect a DLC drop at E3, at least for the character that is accompanying Sigma.

Oh, I 100% agree. But when I see people already proclaiming the game to be a bomb, saying it sucks, and that they hope the press/critics/reviews rip the game apart, canceling preorders, calling it an "outlandishly over-priced game that's most likely shit," saying how the launch of this makes sfv look good, etc I have to question it.

I get being disappointed by the roster, what I don't get is judging the game entirely on that one factor alone.

Well, I know I'm still going to play Day 1 because I love Marvel. A lot of these reactions are simply disappointment because people wanted to believe Infinite had more in the tank than what we saw from that list.

Just knowing that Capcom seemingly can never have a smooth release is so tiresome already. There's always something. It's like Kenny surviving 26 mins of an episode in South Park without being killed, only for him to get killed at the very last minute when everything appeared to be going okay. When does it ever end well for Capcom?

I'm just concerned for the future of the series at this point.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty

people are disappointed by the roster now, but it is absolutely not the only criticism the game has seen since its reveal, come on

we've known about no x-men for a while. i'm sure that doesn't matter to some, but to many including myself, x-men are far cooler characters than avengers and the lot.

then there was the reveal of the game, which does not look like a gen 8 game. it is blatantly reusing animations from MvC3 and even SF4 (ultron super) and aesthetically many feel it is a downgrade from the last game.

this reveal also confirmed that the game was 2v2, which again disappointed some (others hoped that it meant the game would be more like a TvC2 - to me, TvC had more interesting mechanics than MvCI does at this point.)

Then we found out about the easy controls. Personally I don't give a shit about this but it has been criticized by people on this board.

And now we (probably) have the final roster, and it's disappointing to pretty much everyone.

So no, it's not "one factor alone". The more we learn about MvCI the more disappointing it is. Hopefully MvC4 will be a thing and will meet more expectations.

Half of the appeal of a Vs game is the roster. You got Capcom fans and Marvel fans hoping that their roster is filled with a diverse selection of characters that not only feel fresh but represent the company they love.

Top Bottom