• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Vs. Capcom: Infinite Characters and Stages Roster Discussion Thread

Dueck

Banned
While not fully comparable, it's crazy to think that another 2v2 fighter (SFxT) had as many new characters as this game has in total. Even when you minus the 12 DLC (since it was all on disc) . Was SFxT like their most expensive fighting game or something?

26260hs3lk36.jpg
Look at that game's lineup, especially if you bought it for Vita and got all the fighters instantly... Sure, the gems or whatever were stupid, but it at least looks like Capcom made an effort. The MCU trash they're vomiting out this time basically feels like a licensed movie game or something. It's entirely less appealing than every prior entry due to this.

I understand Disney gets final say, but at what point is it worth it? I mean, look how their past attempts at gaming companies have gone. They need to license their brands and leave the rest to the people who (usually) know more.

vg260

While not fully comparable, it's crazy to think that another 2v2 fighter (SFxT) had as many new characters as this game has in total. Even when you minus the 12 DLC (since it was all on disc) . Was SFxT like their most expensive fighting game or something?

I know, right? Even ignoring the DLC, that was a beefy roster and had all the expected features. Plus a la carte costumes for $1!

It's interesting to ponder if they just left the gem system out, and kept the DLC "off-disc" (i.e secret), how it might have fared.

Neoxon

Look at that game's lineup, especially if you bought it for Vita and got all the fighters instantly... Sure, the gems or whatever were stupid, but it at least looks like Capcom made an effort. The MCU trash they're vomiting out this time basically feels like a licensed movie game or something. It's entirely less appealing than every prior entry due to this.

I understand Disney gets final say, but at what point is it worth it? I mean, look how their past attempts at gaming companies have gone. They need to license their brands and leave the rest to the people who (usually) know more.
That's just the way it is. Even back in Marvel 3, Marvel had the final say for their side of the roster. But at least back then, they didn't treat the MCU as gospel or have a hate-boner for Fox when deciding the base roster. Plus Capcom had Seth Killian at the time, who's a damn good negotiator.

Dremark

Banned
No it's not. Everything you've said leads me to believe you don't have and possibly haven't even played Injustice 2. It's absolutely loaded with content.

Well you're wrong, I own the game and purchased it at launch and you can check my PSN profile. The game has ladders online and a story mode. A drop system doesn't change that, the game has 3 standard modes, it's not "loaded with content"

On the other hand I'm fairly certain you haven't played MvC:I and don't know what content it has despite the fact you're already complaining about it.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
They had one last time too, but the story mode was cut, no?
Frank Tieri. IIRC he tweeted this time around too vaguely alluding to him being involved with MvC:I.

Was the story mode cut? I didn't even know they had planned a story mode. Although it does make sense. It feel like they were setting up something.
Yeah, they talked about it a lot for the first few months and then never mentioned it again.

Dremark

Banned
Ultron has been an Avengers villain almost since the beginning.

Thor, Ant-Man, Hulk, and Iron Man were the original Avengers. But even Captain America and Hawkeye have been part of the team since the 60's. You can't say any of these aren't core members. Over fifty years of history for every character I named. Miss me with that BS.

I didn't say they weren't core members, I said that categorizing them as Avengers is a meaningless distinction.

Okay, they're core members, so what?

It doesn't make them bad characters and it certainly doesn't make them unpopular. Several of those characters not being in the game likely would have resulted in a backlash.

The problem isn't what team they're generally associated with, the problem is the roster is too small and missing a lot of characters people wanted.

Tirael

The problem isn't what team they're generally associated with, the problem is the roster is too small and missing a lot of characters people wanted.

That team has way too much representation when other characters should have gotten in instead, like Luke Cage or Black Panther. Yes, the roster is too small, but that would have fixed several problems.

Tell me with a straight face that Avengers deserve to be literally half the Marvel side. Tell me they'd have trouble selling Avengers as DLC.

Dahbomb

Luke Cage is boring as hell. Much rather just take Falcon over him if they are going to do the whole "insert random black super hero to reach diversity quota". Leaving out Black Panther is obviously a mistake and if they want to go TV shows then Cloak and Dagger would actually be an inspired choice.

Tik-Tok

Well you're wrong, I own the game and purchased it at launch and you can check my PSN profile. The game has ladders online and a story mode. A drop system doesn't change that, the game has 3 standard modes, it's not "loaded with content"

On the other hand I'm fairly certain you haven't played MvC:I and don't know what content it has despite the fact you're already complaining about it.

Please show me where I'm complaining about it. One quote. Even one.

Injustice has story mode, ladders, arcade, vs, the huge multiverse system, a gear drop system, the AI TEAM battle mode, etc etc etc.

So ok, if you have Injustice 2, you're scared of exploring menus or something.

Tirael

I mean, if you're going to do the Avengers, not putting in Black Widow is absolutely insane when the other 5 are there.

See, even that would have been better!

Luke Cage is boring as hell. Much rather just take Falcon over him if they are going to do the whole "insert random black super hero to reach diversity quota". Leaving out Black Panther is obviously a mistake and if they want to go TV shows then Cloak and Dagger would actually be an inspired choice.

You're not wrong, but when they inevitably paste Iron Fist in there, it'd feel much more cohesive.

Neoxon

I mean, if you're going to do the Avengers, not putting in Black Widow is absolutely insane when the other 5 are there.
I'd imagine that Marvel would want to push Captain Marvel more of the female Avengers since she's the one getting her own movie.

kirblar

I'd imagine that Marvel would want to push Captain Marvel more of the female Avengers since she's the one getting her own movie.
(You're going to see deserved backlash if she does indeed miss the base roster.)

Cut fucking Ant-Man, it's not hard.

Tik-Tok

(You're going to see deserved backlash if she does indeed miss the base roster.)

Cut fucking Ant-Man, it's not hard.

But, I wanna play Ant-Man and I'm excited to see potentially unique game play a character like that could offer.
Black widow would likely just play like MVC3 Jill.

Anth0ny

26260hs3lk36.jpg

the thing that is comparable is that in SFxT they also re-used a lot of assets from a previous game. so it made sense that the roster was so huge, because a lot of the stuff was already done.

the same applies to marvel infinite, yet... we somehow are left with a SMALLER roster than the last marvel game. okay.

the thing that is comparable is that in SFxT they also re-used a lot of assets from a previous game. so it made sense that the roster was so huge, because a lot of the stuff was already done.

the same applies to marvel infinite, yet... we somehow are left with a SMALLER roster than the last marvel game. okay.

TBQH, I still don't think we're getting the details of the final roster. Has any of the leakers confirmed this is the last final possible on disc roster with no possibility of additional characters? Pic of the char select screen? Anything?

Tirael

TBQH, I still don't think we're getting the details of the final roster. Has any of the leakers confirmed this is the last final possible on disc roster with no possibility of additional characters? Pic of the char select screen? Anything?

I really, really, really, really, really hope this is the case.

Even a character select screen isn't necessarily going to tell us anything, especially if there are more characters unlockable. Remember MvC3? The four unlockable characters didn't have spaces.

It only seems to be based on what they heard.

Outside of Ryce, you have Bizarro Mike who said what he's heard is similar to the leaked list. There's also SneakersSO, who's in the know about a lot of this stuff. Knowing that, I'm not sure if there's anything left that we don't know.

Trust me, I really hope this isn't all, but it's beginning to look that way. If it is, I'm curious as to how they're going to handle this backlash.

Neoxon

It only seems to be based on what they heard.

Outside of Ryce, you have Bizarro Mike who said what he's heard is similar to the leaked list. There's also SneakersSO, who's in the know about a lot of this stuff. Knowing that, I'm not sure if there's anything left that we don't know.

Trust me, I really hope this isn't all, but it's beginning to look that way. If it is, I'm curious as to how they're going to handle this backlash.
Sneakers also clarified that he heard for sure that the last character was Frank West. I think it's only Lulubop who doubts him. Ryce questioned him at one point about MvCI being console exclusive to PS4, but it could have been a mistake referring to UMvC3's timed PS4 exclusivity for all we know, & Ryce (nor the mods) didn't really question Sneakers since.

Welp. The dream is dead.

I can't imagine what the reception will be once all of this is confirmed.

Capcom has really lost its way. It's sad. I really wanted to believe things would be different this time around.

ev0

I want to see what sort of bullshit the reps at cons will say when someone asks about the "massive roster" or non-MCU characters.

I'm curious if they're gonna pretend we just dont know, and that we should be shocked when Spider-Man is revealed.

Then after that "we have lots of post launch content" and neglect to mention that it all costs money on top of the $60

To be honest, with the lack of trailers and information in general, this weak roster is not the least bit surprising. Capcom just managed to keep it quiet for awhile, but they can't now.

NexusCell

I'm curious if they're gonna pretend we just dont know, and that we should be shocked when Spider-Man is revealed.

Then after that "we have lots of post launch content" and neglect to mention that it all costs money on top of the $60

I mean, I'd imagine they're going to be in full damage control mode during E3 and SDCC and say a bunch of stuff like "don't believe everything you read online" or "there are some surprises that haven't been announced".

The best I'm hoping for at this point is that they maybe swap some of the characters between the season pass and the base roster.

Personally, I'm going to ask why there are so few female characters on both sides.

Dremark

Banned
That team has way too much representation when other characters should have gotten in instead, like Luke Cage or Black Panther. Yes, the roster is too small, but that would have fixed several problems.

Tell me with a straight face that Avengers deserve to be literally half the Marvel side. Tell me they'd have trouble selling Avengers as DLC.

That team is made up of characters that are some of the most iconic in the history of the company and are obscenely popular right now. Representation of that team means literally nothing as almost every major Marvel hero has been in it, including Luke Cage and Black Panther.

I see absolutely zero problem with them having that many Avengers characters in, and honestly the only situation I really see someone having an issue with it is if they are complaining about people being left off the roster in favor of them, but again that's more of an issue with the roster being too small.

Ultimately that's the real problem, if they had half as many Avengers, the roster would still be too small for a versus game and people would still be complaining, probably more because you'd likely be cutting some of the most iconic Marvel characters.

And no I'm not saying Panther or Luke shouldn't have been in, the fuzzy distinction between Avenger and None Avenger is ultimately meaningless and the real issue is the lack of space on the roster.

Dremark

Banned
Please show me where I'm complaining about it. One quote. Even one.

Injustice has story mode, ladders, arcade, vs, the huge multiverse system, a gear drop system, the AI TEAM battle mode, etc etc etc.

So ok, if you have Injustice 2, you're scared of exploring menus or something.

I've already presented proof that I've played the Injustice 2 and you're still questioning it, so I'll just keep accusing you of complaining about you doing it until you show me evidence I haven't played Injustice 2.

In the previous posts I said the game had Ladders (Acade Ladder and Multiverse Ladders, which includes the guild ones), online and Story. I suppose I neglected to mention Vs. but I'd honestly think that's a given. The game doesn't even have the challenge mode that Injustice 1 had. The content in the game isn't particularly heavy and having a loot system doesn't change that much, you're grinding ladders and playing online.

It's not beyond the realm of possibility for Capcom to get on par with this, a story mode and something like Heroes and Heralds will pretty much put it there.

Ultron has been an Avengers villain almost since the beginning.

Thor, Ant-Man, Hulk, and Iron Man were the original Avengers. But even Captain America and Hawkeye have been part of the team since the 60's. You can't say any of these aren't core members. Over fifty years of history for every character I named. Miss me with that BS.

Actually a lot more than 7 characters on the Marvel roster have been Avengers.
Captain Marvel, Captain America, Hulk, Iron Man, Thor, Hawkeye, Ant-Man, Spider-Man, Dr. Strange and Nova (Richard Rider was a Secret Avenger, Sam Alexander a full-blown regular Avenger) were members, and if you count Ultron as an Avenger because he's a villain for them usually, that makes 10 Avengers + 1 Avengers villain.

Also as an addition, most of the characters people bring up as wanted characters also were Avengers at some point: Wolverine, Storm, Rogue, Sabretooth, Deadpool, Black Panther, (Agent) Venom, Black Widow, Quake, Daredevil, Songbird, Kamala Khan, Iron Fist, Luke Cage, Squirrel Girl, Cable, Medusa, Quicksilver, Vision and Scarlet Witch all are or were Avengers.

Neoxon

Actually a lot more than 7 characters on the Marvel have been Avengers.
Captain Marvel, Captain America, Hulk, Iron Man, Thor, Hawkeye, Ant-Man, Spider-Man, Dr. Strange and Nova (Richard Rider was a Secret Avenger, Sam Alexander a full-blown regular Avenger) were members, and if you count Ultron as an Avenger because he's a villain for them usually, that makes 10 Avengers + 1 Avengers villain.

Also as an addition, most of the characters people bring up as wanted characters also were Avengers at some point: Wolverine, Storm, Rogue, Sabretooth, Deadpool, Black Panther, (Agent) Venom, Black Widow, Quake, Daredevil, Songbird, Kamala Khan, Iron Fist, Luke Cage, Squirrel Girl, Cable, Medusa, Quicksilver, Vision and Scarlet Witch all are or were Avengers.
The bolded ones in particular are considered major members of the Avengers (I.E. the ones with the deepest ties to the team) beyond the ones who are in the game. That said, Luke Cage was on the main Avengers team back in the 2000's & remained for quite a while.

I also forgot She-Hulk, Falcon, Winter Soldier, War Machine and MODOK (who is of course usually an Avengers villain and actually ALSO was in the Secret Avengers at some point lol).

Needless to say, a LOT of particularly popular characters have been members of the Avengers at one point or another, and that's not even considering the numerous offshoots such as the West Coast Avengers, New Avengers, Dark Avengers, etc.
I really only brought up the Secret Avengers in particular because 2 of the characters had ties to them.

Tizoc

Wasp would've been a better choice over Antman tbh. Just give her the same powers since in the comics she gained the size growing powers too.

We already saw how they're going to handle it.

You sure you wanna trust Ono man? I mean I like the guy but
You really wanna trust that fella?

Phoenix Wright totally should've been in the launch roster.

But like many are suggesting, the popular Capcom reps are likely being held for DLC.

If that becomes a thing, I don't see it ending well for Capcom.

Phoenix Wright totally should've been in the launch roster.

But like many are suggesting, the popular Capcom reps are likely being held for DLC.

If that becomes a thing, I don't see it ending well for Capcom.

Yeah, Roster screams of obvious mainstays but weird exclusions. I'm pretty sure it will end up just like that. I'm all for character DLC and extending the life of a game, but at the price Capcom is working with it's just not gonna go over well. Fighters should probably go F2P or just be cheaper around the $20-$40 range. Or go much cheaper/F2P and sell cosmetics for money. Though I don't think there is really a perfect transition into that model, either.

Needless to say, a LOT of particularly popular characters have been members of the Avengers at one point or another, and that's not even considering the numerous offshoots such as the West Coast Avengers, New Avengers, Dark Avengers, etc.
I really only brought up the Secret Avengers in particular because 2 of the characters had ties to them.

Back before Bendis' New Avengers, the group's membership wasn't really every Marvel character under the sun. Outside of the initial crossovers from the original Lee/Kirby run, they didn't take in all too many other heroes that were established in other books, though Spider-Man and 3/4ths of the FF joined for a hot second. After Bendis though, everyone and their mom joined in, and you'd be hard pressed to find non-GotG characters (Marvel seems to purposely keeping any of the core movie ones from being Avengers) who hadn't joined in. At this point I guess the most prominent ones would be Cyclops, Silver Surfer, and Magneto. Though to note, out of the rumor roster, only Dr. Strange, Nova, and sort-kinda Spider-Man wouldn't qualify as Avengers back before all the crossovers happened. Even under those conditions, the roster is very much slanted towards the Avengers.

Negaduck

I mean I'm glad I get Sigma but as he is one of the two (3 combined I guess) main protagonists, not having him in the base roster is booty butt cheeks.

I think the majority would see a Wesker, Phoenix Wright, or Vergil as DLC and react with a, "WTF?! Why am I paying for this character that should be in the roster?" With new characters, it probably wouldn't be as bad, though a lot of people will question why Capcom wouldn't put these newcomers in the base roster.

Either way, Capcom has already pissed off a lot of people with SFV. Instead of rectifying matters with Infinite, they're looking to continue pissing off their fanbase with these strange decisions. I don't understand it.

Complaining that a large chunk of the marvel roster is avengers is silly. Being a part of some avengers team is almost a requirement to be a "real" marvel character :p

The game being MCU focused with no fox characters is something we've known about since before the game even was officially announced. Yall have had plenty of time to come to terms with that fact. Instead of being angry at the fact the roster is mcu focused you should be angry at who they chose for the base roster from the mcu.

Neonep

Complaining that a large chunk of the marvel roster is avengers is silly. Being a part of some avengers team is almost a requirement to be a "real" marvel character :p

The game being MCU focused with no fox characters is something we've known about since before the game even was officially announced. Yall have had plenty of time to come to terms with that fact. Instead of being angry at the fact the roster is mcu focused you should be angry at who they chose for the base roster from the mcu.

Pretty much.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I think the majority would see a Wesker, Phoenix Wright, or Vergil as DLC and react with a, "WTF?! Why am I paying for this character that should be in the roster?" With new characters, it probably wouldn't be as bad, though a lot of people will question why Capcom wouldn't put these newcomers in the base roster.

Either way, Capcom has already pissed off a lot of people with SFV. Instead of rectifying matters with Infinite, they're looking to continue pissing off their fanbase with these strange decisions. I don't understand it.

what dont you udnerstand? They are, or were until very recently, nearly bankrupt

Top Bottom