• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Vs. Capcom: Infinite Characters and Stages Roster Discussion Thread

The whole disappointing roster and the talks about Capcom having aggressive DLC plans, just sends one message to me and that is to simply wait.

Right at this moment, "SFV + two character passes" is on sale on PSN for $40. The guy who is buying that game right now, gets 12 more characters an extra stage and a few crappy costumes and pays $20 less than what I did back when that game launched. And not to mention that they won't have to deal with the kind of shit that I had to deal with, when I bought SFV day 1.

So if Capcom is planning to release 10-12 DLC characters per year (and $5 per character!), then as someone who only plays fighting games to have some fun and doesn't care about competitive play, the most logical course of action for me would be to just wait a couple of years and then get a much more polished and beefed up version of this game (which will likely have more characters that I care about like Asura or Vergil), while paying less than $60.

In the meantime, we have a lot of fighting games out there right now that offer a ton of stuff and can keep someone like me busy and satisfied, until MvC:I finally reaches that point.

As someone who mostly plays the fighting genre casually, that's my point of view when it comes to MvC:I. I don't know how much this may apply to mainstream as a whole, but I wouldn't be surprised if some other casual fighting players, also did something similar in regards to this game.

I kind of hope that dlc plan isn't correct, I really don't want to wait for whenever capcom announces a re and mm pack for Wesker and Zero to be back.

sp3ctr3

Is there even the slightest possibility that this is a bait and switch?

Leaking this list to get peoples expectations down and then on reveal day they say, "HEY! you thought you knew it all, but check this out yo!" and reveal fan favorites.

I'm actually sitting here watching all of it now. People are hype just to see the different skins. Like the hype is so freakin real. I almost forgot how much we all fell in love for MVC3

I still remember how hype I was when Wesker got announced at TGS.

That was by far my fav reveal. Nothing topped that.

Leaking this list to get peoples expectations down and then on reveal day they say, "HEY! you thought you knew it all, but check this out yo!" and reveal fan favorites.

I wish this was the case. Most likely not.

Zaverious

That'd be some good ass bait.

JazzmanZ

The most dissappointing leaks are the most true leaks

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I wonder how much there really is to reveal? I'm sure they'll go over other stones and stuff and probably story too. I can't imagine they'll be making too many reveals for characters, unless they start jumping into DLC.

latter three should be for DLC (TGS - September, NYCC - October, PSX- December)

You can't have it both ways capcom. You cannot charge the full $60 for a game and then still have it be heavily DLC based.

We can't let them get away with this if true. SFV would have been fine as it was on release if it wasn't priced like the other ACTUALLY COMPLETE $60 games.

Having like 20 DLC characters a year is way too optimistic. SFV gets 6. lol

I only buy characters I want to use, anyway. Out of the lists Dahbomb made, I would buy Nina and no one else, for example.

Isn't this kinda what we were hoping for with Vanilla MvC3 though? Lot's of DLC support to keep the game fresh for years, giving us fan favorite characters, new unique characters, reintroducing old veterans with a fresh coat of paint or new moveset?

It hurts to have thought I was keeping my expectations in check and still be let down. I'm not happy with some of their decisions, alot of them actually, but I'm still buying, I'm still gonna play, it's still gonna be fun, and I'm still gonna support the game by buying the DLC.

Yes, Capcom has shitty practices, so do most businesses. I want Zero in this game, I want Captain Commando in this game. I want Jaw to get Regina, I want the BoF fans to get Nina. It may sound dumb but that's part of why I buy all the characters, not just the ones I use. Not one of my friends used Jill, only one of my friends used Shuma and he played the game probably less than 20 times total. We still bought both characters, we still bought UMvC3.

I hate this launch roster now. But I think once the game is actually in my hands and I'm loving the shit out of X finally getting the call to the big leagues it will be a different story. It hurts now because I can't play so all I can focus on is the negative. I think I'll hate this roster much less on September 19

I feel like the roster won't be as big of a deal after launch, I find alot of people end up maining a character they did not expect to pre-launch. I mean, it's still a bad roster and the DLC business with it is pretty horrible, but I don't think the hate for it will be as bad once we actually see the full game.

My sole factor in actually buying this early on is if Dante/Jedah is a viable team, since I have little interest in any other character on this roster aside from Monster Hunter. I imagine there would be a decent pool of people testing this combination (Yipes has also said this is the team he would be most interested in playing), so I should be able to tell quickly after launch if I'll actually snag this.

The stars had all aligned for me in MVC3, it just turned out that basically every character I wanted to play was not only good, but made great teams. Magneto/Zero/Dante/Doom/Amaterasu/Phoenix/Sentinel (okay Sentinel sucks)/Strider/Dormammu/Wesker/Vergil/Akuma/Dr Strange (okay Strange kind of sucks too). Come to think of it, this is a rather large portion of the cast and likely a large reason why I liked UMVC3 so much. Shame that I only want to play 2-4 characters at most out of Infinite's current rumored roster.

I understand the Marvel owned push
X-men were pushed everywhere and no one moaned about their push then lets get some new blood in here
but no Kamala? Panther? Widow? Scarlet Witch? Vision? I mean come the fuck on.

That would be one of the bes things to happen, but I won't hold my breath though.

X-men were pushed everywhere and no one moaned about their push then lets get some new blood in here
Yep, the Marvel side is lacking some good characters.

Sesha

At the very least we should have had Black Panther instead of Nova. Maybe Ms. Marvel as well instead of Hawkeye or Gamora. It would have helped with overall impressions of the roster. I love Nova, but we currently have four short-mid range punchy people with lasers (Iron Man, Captain Marvel, Nova, Ultron). Because of Captain Marvel I initially thought Nova was out of the base roster for sure.

At the very least we should have had Black Panther instead of Nova. Maybe Ms. Marvel as well instead of Hawkeye or Gamora. It would have helped with overall impressions of the roster. I love Nova, but we currently have four short-mid range punchy people with lasers (Iron Man, Captain Marvel, Nova, Ultron). Because of Captain Marvel I initially thought Nova was out of the base roster for sure.
I expected Ms. Marvel and Daredevil to be on the base roster, I was wrong...

They'll most likely be DLC now.

Neoxon

Wanda was also off-limits, but I agree about the rest.

vg260

No. Why would they willingly denigrate their own characters like that? Why would they want people to think any selection of their characters sucks?

You keep saying Reused assets, sure the models are probably from MvC3 but why is exactly is that a bad thing? these guys will most likely have new moves, reworked moves, changed hitboxes and speeds and specials, thats not exactly something that can be done lazily.
Its a bad thing because normally this would mean we get a lot of new characters to go with the recycled stuff like in SFxT, while MVCI would basically be just the recycled stuff if the roster is true.

Dremark

Banned
I scanned the thread and didn't see this, I still need to get caught up, but I have to get this out.

With Ultron as an Avengers villain, literally half of the Marvel side is Avengers. Yes, many of them are popular in their own right. Yes, many of them have had their own standalone movies. Yes, they're very successful.

But you can't defend this.

Half of the Marvel side is Avengers.

Literally half. No rounding. Seven of fourteen.

Get out of here.

I think like 90% if all Marvel Heroes have been past or present so that criteria really doesn't mean very much.

Dremark

Banned

The only things I can think of are the leaker doesn't have all the information or they change plans and put more characters in the bass roster, either by delaying or shifting early DLC.

Jawmuncher

While not fully comparable, it's crazy to think that another 2v2 fighter (SFxT) had as many new characters as this game has in total. Even when you minus the 12 DLC (since it was all on disc) . Was SFxT like their most expensive fighting game or something?

26260hs3lk36.jpg

Dremark

Banned
You can't have it both ways capcom. You cannot charge the full $60 for a game and then still have it be heavily DLC based.

We can't let them get away with this if true. SFV would have been fine as it was on release if it wasn't priced like the other ACTUALLY COMPLETE $60 games.

NR games are full price and have tons of DLC. Also they sell incredibly well too.

Lulubop

While not fully comparable, it's crazy to think that another 2v2 fighter (SFxT) had as many new characters as this game has in total. Even when you minus the 12 DLC (since it was all on disc) . Was SFxT like their most expensive fighting game or something?

26260hs3lk36.jpg

rip, the Tekken characters were really well realized too. I can't believe this game failed.

Dremark

Banned
I don't remember Capcom saying there would be customizable armor pieces, guilds, or an ever changing challenges that offer rewards.

I don't recall them saying anything about the modes in MvC:I so I'm not sure why you're complaining about it already. If they get a story mode and ladders up it's pretty much on par.

J-Tier

rip, the Tekken characters were really well realized too. I can't believe this game failed.
Yeah. It's was a really good game. Honestly, if they had released it without the gems or in a more balanced system, and dealt with the DLC "issue" (it sure was a different time...) then the game could've done really well. Plus, they should've omitted the console exclusive characters too. Friggen Cole, Toro, and Kuro.

MvCi may be facing the same problem I fear.

At least the stones will be in lieu of assists and predictable. And no exclusive guests.

Tik-Tok

Injustice 2 has 28 playable characters, iirc. Just like this does.

With an online mode and some ladders it will have just as much content.

I don't recall them saying anything about the modes in MvC:I so I'm not sure why you're complaining about it already. If they get a story mode and ladders up it's pretty much on par.

No it's not. Everything you've said leads me to believe you don't have and possibly haven't even played Injustice 2. It's absolutely loaded with content.

Say what you want about the system in Injustice 2, but it simply has the best and most single player content in a fighting game that I've seen ever and MVC:I definitely isn't touching it.

RS4-

No it's not. Everything you've said leads me to believe you don't have and possibly haven't even played Injustice 2. It's absolutely loaded with content.

There's more content in the injustice 2 main screen and options than there is in all of V.

J-Tier

Yeah, I have my doubts MvCi will have anywhere near the level of content Injustice 2 has, nor will it have the same level of polish (which I'm assuming based on previously released footage). Injustice 2 is such a full package with a more-than-serviceable story that the roster doesn't seem small at all.

I highly doubt MvCi's story will hold a candle to it, based on what we've seen of SFV.

It's why the expectation for this is a reasonable roster size. But clearly, we won't even get that.

Neoxon

Yeah, I have my doubts MvCi will have anywhere near the level of content Injustice 2 has, nor will it have the same level of polish (which I'm assuming based on previously released footage). Injustice 2 is such a full package with a more-than-serviceable story that the roster doesn't seem small at all.

I highly doubt MvCi's story will hold a candle to it, based on what we've seen of SFV.

It's why the expectation for this is a reasonable roster size. But clearly, we won't even get that.
To be fair, they probably have a Marvel writer this time for the story.

Tirael

I think like 90% if all Marvel Heroes have been past or present so that criteria really doesn't mean very much.

Ultron has been an Avengers villain almost since the beginning.

Thor, Ant-Man, Hulk, and Iron Man were the original Avengers. But even Captain America and Hawkeye have been part of the team since the 60's. You can't say any of these aren't core members. Over fifty years of history for every character I named. Miss me with that BS.

Top Bottom